[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Run The Table  (Read 5044 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Run The Table
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
If we run the table, it is still possible for the team to get to my 3rd place finish. Will need some help from a few other teams losing.  Winning out should get us in the tournament and I still believe we will do well in the tournament and get to the second weekend. 

Lets hope Markus gets healthy soon.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
Re: Run The Table
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:06 PM »
HAHA yes, if we run the table, and other teams screw up enough, we could still end up 3rd. you're not wrong!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:50:53 PM »
Let’s just focus on winning back-to-back games first - hasn’t happened in awhile.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
Let’s just focus on winning back-to-back games first - hasn’t happened in awhile.
This. I remember similar sentiments after the SH game. Let’s not get carried away. Win the next. That is all
No Finish Line

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »
3-1 will do.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:21:40 AM »
3-1 will do.

Should do. I'm getting more nervous as the Seton Hall wins look a lot less impressive than they did two weeks ago. Adding another Q1 win tonight was huge. This loss dropped Creighton 11 spots in RPI to 33. Hopefully they can climb a few spots so when we beat them at home it is another Q1 win.

Meanwhile, Providence and Butler are hovering just outside the top 30 (36 and 39). Georgetown and Wisconsin are just barely good enough to be Q2 road wins. VCU has wandered further away from the Q2 cutline. LSU has gotten closer to a Q1 victory but I don't think they will cross the 50 point threshold.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »

Our unnatural carnal knowledge around talking won't defocus the team. I hate that focus on the next game crap.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:30:06 AM »
Should do. I'm getting more nervous as the Seton Hall wins look a lot less impressive than they did two weeks ago. Adding another Q1 win tonight was huge. This loss dropped Creighton 11 spots in RPI to 33. Hopefully they can climb a few spots so when we beat them at home it is another Q1 win.

Meanwhile, Providence and Butler are hovering just outside the top 30 (36 and 39). Georgetown and Wisconsin are just barely good enough to be Q2 road wins. VCU has wandered further away from the Q2 cutline. LSU has gotten closer to a Q1 victory but I don't think they will cross the 50 point threshold.

With today’s results, that’s fair. Most days won’t be this generous to our bubble brethren.

I’d be shocked if MU didn’t get in at 9-9. I am a gambling man, but I’d put a sizable percent of my savings on any 9-9 or better ACC, BE or B12 team making the dance. But yah...10-8 is better.

Toughest game in MU 5 game stretch is now in the rear view mirror. An injured Markus would be a real blow....but it just might be what is needed for Rowsey to play his best basketball yet.   

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:59:54 AM »
Markus' injury appears to be serious. I'm not greedy, I will be ecstatic with 3-1, and Markus not being done for the year.  The run the table talk is premature, think of how you felt at halftime tonight!  If Creighton wasn't so inept vs. a zone, we might be talking about MU losing out! 

On the bright side, Seton Hall is in free fall right now.  They probably beat DePaul tomorrow, but I fully expect them to have a losing conference record at season's end.  If we get to 9-9, with the Hall behind us in the standings we are a lock.  The Big East wont get fewer than 6 teams in the NCAA's.  And, with our sweep of the Hall, they will be the ones sweating on Selection Sunday, not us.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:01 AM »
Markus' injury appears to be serious. I'm not greedy, I will be ecstatic with 3-1, and Markus not being done for the year.  The run the table talk is premature, think of how you felt at halftime tonight!  If Creighton wasn't so inept vs. a zone, we might be talking about MU losing out! 

On the bright side, Seton Hall is in free fall right now.  They probably beat DePaul tomorrow, but I fully expect them to have a losing conference record at season's end.  If we get to 9-9, with the Hall behind us in the standings we are a lock.  The Big East wont get fewer than 6 teams in the NCAA's.  And, with our sweep of the Hall, they will be the ones sweating on Selection Sunday, not us.

We want SHU to win. PC to loss. Worst case 3 way tie between those 3 teams

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »
No inside info, but I would be shocked if Markus plays again this season. If he couldn't put any weight on that right leg, it's probably serious.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:16:11 AM »
No inside info, but I would be shocked if Markus plays again this season. If he couldn't put any weight on that right leg, it's probably serious.

Not saying you are wrong, but sometimes the not putting any weight on it is a precautionary thing, not necessarily that they can't put weight on it.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 06:53:46 AM »

Forget the weight, hospital is serious.  Did he fly back?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
If Marcus doesn’t get hurt, we lose.

For his sake, I hope he recovers ASAP. 

For the teams sake, forcing Wojo to split up the Midgets might be the best thing that happens this season.

TEAM basketball is going to win it for us.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »

For the teams sake, forcing Wojo to split up the Midgets might be the best thing that happens this season.

And an inspired Rowsey is a huge key. But he’s got to stay out of foul trouble. Playing zone should help that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
And an inspired Rowsey is a huge key. But he’s got to stay out of foul trouble. Playing zone should help that.
I thought one of the keys last night , was that down the stretch Rowsey did not pick up that 4th foul. Thus he was able to play the entire second half.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »
It's the Ewing Theory effect with Howard going down. Rowsey had to work the offense through Sacar and Hauser in the second half, I don't have the stats in front of me, but MU was way more efficient in the second half. It helped that Sacar was hitting seemingly everything, but maybe he gained more confidence knowing he was going to get the ball more and the offense was spreading it out to the wings more. Rowsey still had some hero ball attempts, but the flow of MU's offense in the second half was fantastic last night.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

Agree 100%

Wojo can learn from this:  One uber talented undersized guard, surrounded by length and athleticism (playing zone), can be a winning formula.  Playing two, uber talented (shot happy), undersized guards, man to man, is NOT a winning formula.

Godspeed to Markus and that he comes back 100% sooner than later.  But, think if he can get back yet this year, we need to go with the unconventional approach of putting our leading scorer on the bench and into 6th man role.  Rowsey is senior, better ball handler, and deserves the opportunity to lead this team from here on out.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »
It's the Ewing Theory effect with Howard going down. Rowsey had to work the offense through Sacar and Hauser in the second half, I don't have the stats in front of me, but MU was way more efficient in the second half. It helped that Sacar was hitting seemingly everything, but maybe he gained more confidence knowing he was going to get the ball more and the offense was spreading it out to the wings more. Rowsey still had some hero ball attempts, but the flow of MU's offense in the second half was fantastic last night.
[/quote

Very Insightful,Thanks]
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
Agree 100%

Wojo can learn from this:  One uber talented undersized guard, surrounded by length and athleticism (playing zone), can be a winning formula.  Playing two, uber talented (shot happy), undersized guards, man to man, is NOT a winning formula.

Godspeed to Markus and that he comes back 100% sooner than later.  But, think if he can get back yet this year, we need to go with the unconventional approach of putting our leading scorer on the bench and into 6th man role.  Rowsey is senior, better ball handler, and deserves the opportunity to lead this team from here on out.
I would add to this solid analysis above, that Rowsey, while short, is actually very athletic. So when we have in on the floor, playing in control, with the athletes. we can employ a fast break type offense in addition to our strength in threes. It gives the team one more dimension for the defense to consider.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
I think Sacar already had 14 points when Howard got hurt.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »

Rowsey plays far less hero ball than Markus.  Markus is taking 33.3% of our teams shots in conference play.  Rowsey 29.8.  Rowsey with a 26.6% assist rate compared to Markus's 18.5%.

End of the day you simply can't have two guys playing on the floor at the same time who are so shot happy.  Think Sacar's breakout was helped largely in part due to there being many more shot opportunities available to him due to Markus not being on the floor.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
Rowsey plays far less hero ball than Markus.  Markus is taking 33.3% of our teams shots in conference play.  Rowsey 29.8.  Rowsey with a 26.6% assist rate compared to Markus's 18.5%.

End of the day you simply can't have two guys playing on the floor at the same time who are so shot happy.  Think Sacar's breakout was helped largely in part due to there being many more shot opportunities available to him due to Markus not being on the floor.

More than half of Savages points were before Markus was hurt. Don’t necessarily disagree with the take tho.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »

More so due to Creighton’s lack of rim protection.  MU/Sacar took advantage.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »
More than half of Savages points were before Markus was hurt. Don’t necessarily disagree with the take tho.

True.  So, perhaps not totally cause and effect as to why Sacar had a big game being correlated to Markus going out. 

Don't want any of this to come off negative against Markus - he's a great talent, and kid.  An absolute asset.  It's just that it is fools gold to essentially have two clones of each other playing together simultaneously.

feedback