[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Not Over Yet  (Read 15256 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Not Over Yet
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
News

Comparing to the '77 team? Please try and make points that match the times, apples and oranges. In addition, while I think they have ZERO business in the NCAA this year, would love to see the young guys get their feet in tourney.

Same to you brother Goose. Marquette this season looks very much like a back of the tournament team. What it takes to make the tournament today is very different than even 5-10 years ago. If Marquette's named is called on selection Sunday than they earned the bid regardless of what any of us think of their worthiness. They absolutely have business being in the tournament conversation right now. The next 5 games will determine whether or not they have business actually being there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Same to you brother Goose. Marquette this season looks very much like a back of the tournament team. What it takes to make the tournament today is very different than even 5-10 years ago. If Marquette's named is called on selection Sunday than they earned the bid regardless of what any of us think of their worthiness. They absolutely have business being in the tournament conversation right now. The next 5 games will determine whether or not they have business actually being there.
[/quote

Yep.  This is really all there is to it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
Boxer

Of course you go to NCAA if they get invite. My comments are strictly based off my opinion. To date, they have not shown me they are tourney worthy team. Still ball to be played and they might prove to be worthy. As I said two weeks ago, I hope they start learning how to win this year and build for the future. Late season success this season will make success next season easier. Winning is a habit and I hope they start winning.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »
TAMU

Simple question, if the season ended today, are they NCAA worthy to you? I agree time to right the ship and play their way in to the tourney. I am skeptical of what they have shown over last 4-5 games to provide optimism they earn the bid.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
Boxer

Of course you go to NCAA if they get invite. My comments are strictly based off my opinion. To date, they have not shown me they are tourney worthy team. Still ball to be played and they might prove to be worthy. As I said two weeks ago, I hope they start learning how to win this year and build for the future. Late season success this season will make success next season easier. Winning is a habit and I hope they start winning.

As of right now, they're not in the tournament.  If they had played Georgetown 2x and Depaul 2x instead of Xavier 2x and Nova 2x, we'd probably be 7-6, not 5-8, and projected in the tournament.  But we'd have to play X and Nova again.

We have a favorable schedule to finish the season.  Win the games your supposed to win, and the rest will take care of itself. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
J5

I am with you, for the most part. My concern is based off they are 1-3 thus far in their "easy" part of BE schedule. This does not give me a great deal of confidence in picking outcome of the upcoming games. In addition, in SH made some free throws we likely would be 0-4 in the "easy" part of the schedule.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
What in the world does "worthiness" have to do with anything? And how should it influence the tournament?

It's all math. Period.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
jesmu

Their CURRENT record does not earn a NCAA bid, IMO. If they play in similar fashion the next weeks, the win-loss record will not deserve a NCAA bid. I hope that explains my use of "worthy". Right now, they are way outside looking in. Things can change and I hope they do for the future of the program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
J5

I am with you, for the most part. My concern is based off they are 1-3 thus far in their "easy" part of BE schedule. This does not give me a great deal of confidence in picking outcome of the upcoming games. In addition, in SH made some free throws we likely would be 0-4 in the "easy" part of the schedule.

Not splitting the Butler/Providence home games hurts.  But the v. Butler, v. PC, @SHU, @SJU and @ Creighton stretch isn't exactly "easy".  SJU, @ Depaul, @ Georgetown and vs. Creighton is much easier. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
J5

I read on here regarding the schedule getting easier after 'Nova game and heard countless times on TV how the schedule became easier. When you have three wins against teams with winning records in your own conference, I am hard pressed to call any game easy. Simply was using words from the optimists on here and guys on the broadcast.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »
J5

I read on here regarding the schedule getting easier after 'Nova game and heard countless times on TV how the schedule became easier. When you have three wins against teams with winning records in your own conference, I am hard pressed to call any game easy. Simply was using words from the optimists on here and guys on the broadcast.

Well yes, home games against Butler and Providence are "easier" than playing Nova and @X......

Look, we've still only played 3/6 games against the bottom 3 teams in the conference. We've played 6/6  games against the top 3 teams.  The opportunity is still there.   

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
News

Comparing to the '77 team? Please try and make points that match the times, apples and oranges. In addition, while I think they have ZERO business in the NCAA this year, would love to see the young guys get their feet in tourney.
Not comparing teams just saying that the team was in at the very end and many thought was not going to get in the tournament. At that time it ended up being NCAA champion with most loses by a team.

From The Sports Notebook.com:

Marquette wasn’t playing well in midseason and lost three straight to fall to 16-6. In the days where only 32 teams made the NCAA Tournament this was a true crisis. An at-large bid was in serious doubt, especially given that McGuire’s brash style had often led him into conflict with the NCAA. The coach didn’t believe he would ever get the benefit of the doubt. With his retirement after the season already announced, McGuire expected to finish his career in the NIT.
The coach’s team righted the ship, even playing their final five games on the road. They won the first four and were playing third-ranked Michigan on the final day of the season. In a sign of how much the selection process for the NCAA Tournament has changed, the Warriors found out midway through the game that they were on their way. Their one-point loss to the Wolverines didn’t matter, and America didn’t get to wait until 6:30 PM ET on a Sunday evening to have the cameras hone in on a room where Lee, Ellis and McGuire were all watching to determine their fate. Yes, March Madness has changed.

Goal is National Championship

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
If we win out, we will probably be the 4 seed, tied with Seton Hall at 10-8.

Win out, play the Hall in the BET, probably lose.  59% chance to get into the tournament as an 11 seed.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
J5

Agreed, 100%. The opportunity is there for the taking. Quick questions, if they do it, did they overachieve this year? If they fail, did they underachieve this year? IMO, if they make the NCAA, it is a minor miracle pulled off by Wojo and the boys. At the start of the season I predicted sub .500 in BE play. Hope they prove me wrong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »
News

'77 team was preseason #1. They were hardly major underdogs in the NCAA.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
If we win out, we will probably be the 4 seed, tied with Seton Hall at 10-8.

Win out, play the Hall in the BET, probably lose.  59% chance to get into the tournament as an 11 seed.

If they win out, they are 100% in.  And probably like an 7 or 8 seed. 

J5

Agreed, 100%. The opportunity is there for the taking. Quick questions, if they do it, did they overachieve this year? If they fail, did they underachieve this year? IMO, if they make the NCAA, it is a minor miracle pulled off by Wojo and the boys. At the start of the season I predicted sub .500 in BE play. Hope they prove me wrong.

I don't know - I don't really see the need to get all wrapped up in overachieved/underachieved.  Preseason I expected this team to be a bubble team.  At times during the season, I thought they could be better.  If they make the tournament, I will be pleased, but expect better next season.  If they miss the tournament, I will be very disappointed, and expect much better next season. 

But at the end of the day this team is about what I expected it to be.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:15 PM »
Y y'all sew hard on Brother Goose? He's statin' facts. Dis team, four a plethora of reasons, is knot playin' Tournament worthy ball. Its just dat plane and simple. Furthermore, Tourney teams start ta peek 'round now as dey build der resume. Honestly dudes, I cee 'em going south rather dan north, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
jesmu

Their CURRENT record does not earn a NCAA bid, IMO. If they play in similar fashion the next weeks, the win-loss record will not deserve a NCAA bid. I hope that explains my use of "worthy". Right now, they are way outside looking in. Things can change and I hope they do for the future of the program.

Well, yes, their CURRENT record doesn't earn a bid. No one here has said it does. But you said this:

J5 and TAMU,

Your calculations might very well be true and MU does have a path into the tourney. I think many of us on here just feel their play does not justify a bid. I do not doubt there is a way in, but not sure that is a good thing for the overall landscape of college ball.

That, to me, indicates you feel the team shouldn't be in this year, regardless of end-of-season record

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »
News

'77 team was preseason #1. They were hardly major underdogs in the NCAA.

Not too mention only 24 teams got in. It was a much more difficult environment then to get in and we were an independent to boot.

I agree with you regarding this years team. I would be shocked if we close out 4-1.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:17:40 PM by 79Warrior »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
Ironically, the fact that Wojo s*it the bed over this stretch means that if he DOES make it to the NCAA that would be a major achievement from this point (whereas had we followed the "path" we all thought this team might, we would have thought he was doing an average job).

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »
This team is only .......mostly dead.....    With all dead, well there's only one thing to do.   Go through Gard's pockets and look for loose change.     Mostly dead means slightly alive.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
TAMU

Simple question, if the season ended today, are they NCAA worthy to you? I agree time to right the ship and play their way in to the tourney. I am skeptical of what they have shown over last 4-5 games to provide optimism they earn the bid.

Forgive me Goose, I was reading your comments as "even if we sneak into the tournament, we don't deserve to be there because we aren't good enough" which I thoroughly disagree with. If all you mean is that if the season ended today we would be out than yes I agree. I think we have played well enough to be in the conversation. Next 5 will determine if we play well enough to actually make it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
TAMU

I have been saying for two weeks they can earn their way in. Quite simple, win their games. They have done as I expected, but hope they right the ship. If everyone is right about next year, the winning attitude has to start now. I am big believer of building at winning attitude and building off of that. To date, I have not seen evidence they know how to win.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »
79 Warrior

32 teams got in back in the day.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
79 Warrior

32 teams got in back in the day.