[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why does Harry Froling get so much time?  (Read 12310 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Why does Harry Froling get so much time?
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »
Title
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:55:14 PM by mu_hilltopper »

wadesworld

• All American
Title

Matt Heldt is fouled out and Theo John is unavailable.

Next question.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Matt Heldt is fouled out and Theo John is unavailable.

Next question.

15.1 minutes per game, 3 starts (including NMD)?

Benny B

• All American
Because he should be better, mate.  That’s why. 

Do they even have rabbits in Australia?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
A little harsh, but I struggle to think of anything Harry does well at a high major level.  He had to be substituted out, and Wojo had to go small, because he is a disaster defensively.  His offense has disappeared. 

He's our version of Andy Van Vliet.  Completely over his head at this level.

Hards Alumni

• All American
A little harsh, but I struggle to think of anything Harry does well at a high major level.  He had to be substituted out, and Wojo had to go small, because he is a disaster defensively.  His offense has disappeared. 

Yup.  I argue we should feed him pizza and pork rinds, since he was better when he was rounder.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I was giving Harry the benefit of the doubt...but I think that missed bunny broke me.  Yelled so loud I scared the dog
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American

Agree.

I'm absolutely amazed how much this board's opinion of Harry has changed just within the last few weeks. He's been the same player all season, but most had given him the majority of the C minutes a few games into him becoming available. Even though he was bad from the start most were projecting massive across-the-board improvement in decision-making, awareness, defense, 3-point shooting, and play within the team. People were quick to move Heldt to garbage minutes based on Harry's (questionable) performances.

He was lucky enough again today to find time (due to Theo's outage) and that likely continues through the season, but next year I honestly have a hard time seeing how Froling plays at all. I wonder what he does if he sees that writing on the wall.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:24:03 PM by yetipro »

nyg

• All American

Yup, with Heldt back to normal and Froling, the once mid season savior, its been a disappointment to say the least. 

Jay Bee

• All American
Rebounding.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
Rebounding.

Yes. Statistically he is MU's best rebounder.

MUBigDance

• All American
we always say Theo has great ceiling and Matt is what you see is what you get.

But what is Froling? Is this as good as it gets? Isn’t he here for two more years after this?

Wojo might have to do some tough things for the sake of the team next year. How do you tell a player you’re just not going to play.

mileskishnish72

• All American
To tell you the truth, I wish he'd go pro in Australia.
I chalked a lot of the problems early on up to rustiness, but he really has not progressed on O, and as for defense, anything I could add would be inflammatory.
I was anticipating better when Bilas indicated he thought he'd make a difference, but he really hasn't.
He seems like a nice kid, interacts well with the rest of the team, but he has just not brought it.
I guess the question is whether or not he can progress. I'm pessimistic.

MUEng92

• All American
His offense has disappeared. 
I honestly don't want to pile on a kid but I believe something has to appear before it can disappear

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
I was giving Harry the benefit of the doubt...but I think that missed bunny broke me.  Yelled so loud I scared the dog
My dog Elmo didn't like my yelling as well when Harry missed.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Nukem2

• All American
Part of Harry’s problem offensively (other than those missed layups that should be dunks) is that he is not taking the open shot in the flow of the offense.  Have the coaches told him not to shoot?  Defensively, that’s another story...

GGGG

• All American
I honestly don't want to pile on a kid but I believe something has to appear before it can disappear

He went 5/5 for 11 points v. Nova in Milwaukee.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Part of Harry’s problem offensively (other than those missed layups that should be dunks) is that he is not taking the open shot in the flow of the offense.  Have the coaches told him not to shoot?  Defensively, that’s another story...

Harry's original problem was that he was missing all of those wide open shots. Opponents hope he shoots it. Wojo has done a good job of reeling him in and having him focus more around the basket, cleaning up the trash.

Nukem2

• All American
Harry's original problem was that he was missing all of those wide open shots. Opponents hope he shoots it. Wojo has done a good job of reeling him in and having him focus more around the basket, cleaning up the trash.
Oh, I get that.  But, one of Harry’s major strengths, along with his passing, is his “jump” shot.  Teammates were encouraging him to shoot as they obviously see it in practice.  In any event, the game is just going too fast for Harry.

nyg

• All American
To tell you the truth, I wish he'd go pro in Australia.
I chalked a lot of the problems early on up to rustiness, but he really has not progressed on O, and as for defense, anything I could add would be inflammatory.
I was anticipating better when Bilas indicated he thought he'd make a difference, but he really hasn't.
He seems like a nice kid, interacts well with the rest of the team, but he has just not brought it.
I guess the question is whether or not he can progress. I'm pessimistic.

Is the Australian League really that bad?  Harry still has two more years here, Heldt has one.  Theo has to step up next year and yesterday people were asking if Theo should redshirt.........

Harry had a good game in losing effort vs Nova, but then again for four years we heard of Derrick Wilson's good game against Wisky.  The next excuse will be he was in a boot for awhile, lost weight, not in shape, yadayada.....
He's a Division I player and just has to practice, get better and hopefully will help next year.  Wishing him the best, but right now, he needs some help. 

jsglow

• All American

That's how I see it.  Hard for me to envision how Harry gets many minutes next year.  I agree with you and said during the game that I don't see anything that he does well enough to contribute at the major college level.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm happy to have him on the team.  But he's spending his Junior and Senior year as 10th man or below.

Not that I'm projecting it but has Harry 'used up' his transfer option with the mid year thing?  Said another way, could he consider going 'down'?

GGGG

• All American
That's how I see it.  Hard for me to envision how Harry gets many minutes next year.  I agree with you and said during the game that I don't see anything that he does well enough to contribute at the major college level.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm happy to have him on the team.  But he's spending his Junior and Senior year as 10th man or below.

Not that I'm projecting it but has Harry 'used up' his transfer option with the mid year thing?  Said another way, could he consider going 'down'?

If he transferred, he would have to sit out a year but would still have two years remaining.

nyg

• All American
Bottom line in this game is that Owens went to bench with 15 minutes to go.  STJ put Ahmed and Clarke at the 5.
Heldt and Froling had huge height difference, yet MU had zero points from them during this timeframe.  Yes, Howard and Rowsey tried their usual floaters driving to take some advantage, but not happening.

MU has no offensive presence at center and needed to advantage of the loss of Owens. Believe Morrow and improvement of Theo will help next year, but not today.   

MarquetteDano

• All American
The defense aside,  which is atrocious right now,  he has the potential to bring some things to the table:
  • Probably the best offensive rebounder on team
  • Supposedly can hit outside shots.  Yes,  I know he hasn't shown it but the coaches seem to think he can
  • He actually is a pretty good ball handler for his size.  If he is going to out there with his poor "D" then he should at least be fed the ball while moving towards the basket on offense

We really missed Theo today.  His "D" and rebounding would have really helped.

NickelDimer

• All American
I’ll never forget how excited Wojo was post game the game before Froling was eligible about what he was going to bring to the team. I have no unnatural carnal knowledgeing idea what he was so excited about
No Finish Line

feedback