Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojos presser  (Read 26700 times)

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
Wojos presser
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
I’ve always thought the questions asked to wojo are complete softballs. Today someone (Andrew Goldstein) finally asked a question regarding his coaching. While he said he is responsible for everything, he did so in a super defensive tone. Even saying something like, if you want to write I’m doing a bad job than write it before storming out moments later. “You’ll evaluate the game. You pick it apart. You figure out where I need to do a better job.”

Kind of weak sauce if you ask me. Came off like a lil b. Im pulling for the guy but please watch it and let me know if I’m totally off base here.

Link to presser:

4:30 on is the meat and potatoes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:02:14 AM by WindyCityGoldenEagle »

TheyWereCones

• Starter
Re: Wojos presser
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
Amen. I'm so tired of his pressers where all he says is what is politically correct and what he thinks everyone wants to hear. Just be honest, open, & blunt for once. Have a personality! I never feel like we ever get a glimpse at any real truth. He's mastered coach-speak. It's so annoying when that's how he talks 100% of the time. I'll take Cooley's honesty & personality any day.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »
Amen. I'm so tired of his pressers where all he says is what is politically correct and what he thinks everyone wants to hear. Just be honest, open, & blunt for once. Have a personality! I never feel like we ever get a glimpse at any real truth. He's mastered coach-speak. It's so annoying when that's how he talks 100% of the time. I'll take Cooley's honesty & personality any day.

Sounds like you need to become a Providence fan then

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »
At least it isn't the pablum coach speak of his early years.     The man is clearly frustrated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:56:09 PM »
By the way, I can tell him the pinnacle moment where he did a bad job. It was burning our last timeout, so our team could come out of the huddle, force it to Markus, then watch him dribble & juke burning almost half the remaining game clock before launching a prayer 3.

It's either one of two things:

1. What in the world kind of play call is that out of a timeout?

2. Why don't his players listen to him?

Either answer is...not good.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
Sounds like you need to become a Providence fan then

You're an idiot if that's what you got from that. I respect another coach for their honesty and I'm not in love with Wojo's constant coach-speak, so I must go cheer for another team. Get bent.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
By the way, I can tell him the pinnacle moment where he did a bad job. It was burning our last timeout, so our team could come out of the huddle, force it to Markus, then watch him dribble & juke burning almost half the remaining game clock before launching a prayer 3.

Bingo!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
I heard it differently. It seemed like he was going out of his way to defend his players. Trying to remind people that they are young kids, even by college basketball standards, and are doing what they can. A very vanilla version of the "I'm a man, I'm 40" presser.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »

Option 3:

Providence stopped the initial play and forced Markus to improvise. He improvised poorly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
You're an idiot if that's what you got from that. I respect another coach for their honesty and I'm not in love with Wojo's constant coach-speak, so I must go cheer for another team. Get bent.

The irony of someone telling another person to “get bent” in a thread they created to whine about a coach’s press conference...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Option 3:

Providence stopped the initial play and forced Markus to improvise. He improvised poorly.

Timing was f*cked from the start. They had no idea what they were running.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
I heard it differently. It seemed like he was going out of his way to defend his players. Trying to remind people that they are young kids, even by college basketball standards, and are doing what they can. A very vanilla version of the "I'm a man, I'm 40" presser.

Very fair and fully understand people will take his presser different ways. (Great gundy  reference btw).

It just rubbed me the wrong way. I have no qualms with him saying dont blame my players for anything, blame me - all good with that. Where he really irked me was his defensive tone insinuating what else do you want me to do?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
Is there a link to the presser?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
I hear he is bad in the coaches huddles too!  And that he is pretty boring on Homer's show!!!!

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 09:25:36 PM »
The irony of someone telling another person to “get bent” in a thread they created to whine about a coach’s press conference...

I didn't start this thread and the conclusion drawn from what I said was ridiculous.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
I hear he is bad in the coaches huddles too!  And that he is pretty boring on Homer's show!!!!

Never ever said anything about being good or bad at pressers having any correlation with how successful you are or aren’t. 

Just simply saying this one rubbed me the wrong way as if there’s nothing else he can be doing - sarcastically and defensively telling the reporter (Goldstein) to look at the tape and tell him what he should be doing.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
Option 3:

Ok, could be. But Providence stopped the initial play by doing what exactly? Was it that easy to stop? Was Markus not supposed to get the ball (since that's what happened and what seemed like they were trying to make happen)? Was Plan B really what ended up happening? I can't be the only one concerned about that sequence of events.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
Timing was f*cked from the start. They had no idea what they were running.

Sacar was confused and that started the mess

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
Ok, could be. But Providence stopped the initial play by doing what exactly? Was it that easy to stop? Was Markus not supposed to get the ball (since that's what happened and what seemed like they were trying to make happen)? Was Plan B really what ended up happening? I can't be the only one concerned about that sequence of events.

The problem is that once Markus got the ball, he tried to play hero ball.  Not the first time he has done that. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »
his coaches huddle almost always boils down to “play harder!”

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
The announcers (supposedly knowledgeable about hoops) put the blame on Sacar for "forgetting" to do whatever he was supposed to do. Sorry, had a distraction at the time, but whatever it was he was supposed to do, he apparently "forgot." At least that was their take.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »
Never ever said anything about being good or bad at pressers having any correlation with how successful you are or aren’t. 

Just simply saying this one rubbed me the wrong way as if there’s nothing else he can be doing - sarcastically and defensively telling the reporter (Goldstein) to look at the tape and tell him what he should be doing.

Yeah I just don't care.  He could have skipped around the stage dressed as Mary Poppins for all I care.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »

The problem is that once Markus got the ball, he tried to play hero ball.  Not the first time he has done that.

Exactly, which brings it back to the point. Either Wojo called timeout to run a play and Howard went hero ball anyway, or Wojo called timeout to call for hero ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
his coaches huddle almost always boils down to “play harder!”

I know.  It's a real problem.  We need to get to the bottom of it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Exactly, which brings it back to the point. Either Wojo called timeout to run a play and Howard went hero ball anyway, or Wojo called timeout to call for hero ball.

He didn't call a play for hero ball.  My guess is that PC's defense was not what they expected, the back up play got screwed up because someone did not recognize the problem, and Howard got the ball and tried to be the hero. 

feedback