Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojos presser  (Read 26699 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wojos presser
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
I've been a defender of Wojo and the process, but the press conference was not a good look. The question that got him riled up was pretty routine. He went from a pretty stock press conference to "if you wanna get out the pitch forks go ahead!" It made me feel like he's been reading too much MU Scoop, because I haven't seen any of that from the actual media outlets yet.

And it's a fine line between "no excuses, it's on me" to "we're young, we're really young, youngest team in the oldest league, one of the youngest teams in the country." Are we young? Sure. According to Pomeroy, we are #318 in terms of experience and #224 in continuity of minutes returning. But repeating that is, by definition, an excuse.

I'm probably in the minority that I haven't given up on this season yet. We were a couple possessions away from a week where we knocked off Villanova and Providence. We need 5 wins in a schedule that includes 4 games against Georgetown, DePaul, and St. John's that are a combined 0-21 against Big East teams not mentioned in this sentence. It's an uphill climb, but the season isn't over. It's been a frustrating run, but I guess this is where we see what Wojo is made of. We were supposed to stamp our membership to the tournament this week by beating Butler and Providence, instead we are at the point where we will be fighting for our NCAA lives every night. I'll be very curious to see what the lineup and effort looks like on Wednesday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2018, 07:34:04 AM »

I heard sometimes he doesn't mow his lawn enough for his neighbor's liking too.  It's really shameful.

I know.  Do I have to shovel the driveway today? Don't want to ruin the neighbor's picture-window contrast of my snowy yard and black driveway. Something about property values.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
I've been a defender of Wojo and the process, but the press conference was not a good look. The question that got him riled up was pretty routine. He went from a pretty stock press conference to "if you wanna get out the pitch forks go ahead!" It made me feel like he's been reading too much MU Scoop, because I haven't seen any of that from the actual media outlets yet.

And it's a fine line between "no excuses, it's on me" to "we're young, we're really young, youngest team in the oldest league, one of the youngest teams in the country." Are we young? Sure. According to Pomeroy, we are #318 in terms of experience and #224 in continuity of minutes returning. But repeating that is, by definition, an excuse.

I'm probably in the minority that I haven't given up on this season yet. We were a couple possessions away from a week where we knocked off Villanova and Providence. We need 5 wins in a schedule that includes 4 games against Georgetown, DePaul, and St. John's that are a combined 0-21 against Big East teams not mentioned in this sentence. It's an uphill climb, but the season isn't over. It's been a frustrating run, but I guess this is where we see what Wojo is made of. We were supposed to stamp our membership to the tournament this week by beating Butler and Providence, instead we are at the point where we will be fighting for our NCAA lives every night. I'll be very curious to see what the lineup and effort looks like on Wednesday.

Brew, I agree and disagree. Agree it sounded like he reads Scoop. Disagree as to look. To me, it almost seemed like AG's question was a Wojo-plant...you know... a la Buzz/ Goodman. But with the intent to help the team. If you look at the dichotomy of the press conference, it was like two halves (Scoop meme alert?):-) No, seriously, he spent the first part defending his players and taking the heat, and the second part holding them accountable.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
Not one of Wojo's finer moments. 

Video of presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00
Wow. That was some really weak sauce and incredibly thin skin
No Finish Line

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
\It's great that he didn't want to use the fact that the team is young as an excuse, he just happened to mention that factor repeatedly.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:27:12 AM by mileskishnish72 »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
Wow. That was some really weak sauce and incredibly thin skin

One guy's "thin skin" is another's "motivational ploy." Wojo took (and always takes) way more of the blame than he put (or ever puts) on his players. His storm-off and tongue-in-cheek "it's never about players making plays" sends the right message to all.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
One guy's "thin skin" is another's "motivational ploy." Wojo took (and always takes) way more of the blame than he put (or ever puts) on his players. His storm-off and tongue-in-cheek "it's never about players making plays" sends the right message to all.
You’re giving him way too much credit in thinking that was contrived. That was an emotional outburst. The worst part of it is the reporter used Wojo’s own words and asked him to elaborate when Wojo went all “victim of pitchforks” on him. That was not a good moment
No Finish Line

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »

I heard sometimes he doesn't mow his lawn enough for his neighbor's liking too.  It's really shameful.

He is a $2 million plus public face of the program and university. That was not a good look nor is it when he skips media appearances continuously.

Frankly, it's immature on one hand (the kid is a student journalist who was being pretty tame) and shows a lack of leadership on the other. He needs media coaching.  That was a 7 minute advertisement that will be picked up by TV, radio and print outlets.  Guess what the message will be?

Yet, the Scoop Intelligencia shrugs their shoulders and blames us posters.

burger

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
Not one of Wojo's finer moments. 

Video of presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00

Well at least he took ownership for what everyone can see......

I think he is doing a great job except for game planning/player utlization/in game situations.....

Talent evaluation, recruiting, running a program the right way......All very good......

Needs to hire a mentor assistant like Ewing and Mullin have......I remind you.....Even Buzz had a couple......Wainraidt and Orr.....I believe.....

KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS AND ADPAPT!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:37:58 AM by burger »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »
Knot understandin' da "tough environment" comment. Obviously, Wojo's sphincter's tighten'in up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
I think I'll refine my remarks .. it wasn't a fine moment, but .. it really wasn't awful either. 

On a scale of media-freakouts it was a 2/10.  I think we're all used to his robotic 0/10 responses, so a 2 blows our minds.

4th year coach, all his guys, all his transfers, all his plays, and crappy results and a press conference to chit chat about his failures.   

Doesn't matter how well he's paid, it sucks for him.   This is the lowest point of his career to date.  No excuses, but I'd be grumpy and picking up a sack of Arby's on the way back to Mequon too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »

Needs to hire a mentor assistant like Ewing and Mullin have......I remind you.....Even Buzz had a couple......Wainraidt and Orr.....I believe.....

KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS AND ADPAPT!

Might interfere with the daily hoops game between the assistants.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2018, 08:46:28 AM »
He is a $2 million plus public face of the program and university. That was not a good look nor is it when he skips media appearances continuously.

Frankly, it's immature on one hand (the kid is a student journalist who was being pretty tame) and shows a lack of leadership on the other. He needs media coaching.  That was a 7 minute advertisement that will be picked up by TV, radio and print outlets.  Guess what the message will be?

Let's play a game of  "Pin the Quote on the Coach"! 

"They made us look bad, but we made ourselves looks bad. We did not play to a caliber worthy of our program. We had blank faces, we didn't talk, didn't communicate at all. WE WERE LIKE 5 INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE. IT WAS DISGUSTING TO WATCH, ACTUALLY. I DO NOT KNOW WHY. I CAN SAY THATS NOT THE GROUP I'VE COACHED ALL YEAR. VERY FRUSTRATING TO COACH TODAY. THEY DIDNT RESPOND TO ANYTHING I TOLD THEM UNTIL THE LAST 8 MIN, AND THATS UNNACCEPTABLE!!"

I wonder what coach called out his team yesterday. Could it be, oh maybe Coach K??

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »

I revisit this quote because it sums up all of our reactions here, including my own. Like Sultan says in another post...."I don't care." Wojo insulted a student reporter. Oh the humanity. Probably did a career-based service to the kid. People are gonna b frustrated and treat the media poorly.... athletes, pols, etc. Good that the kid learns that now.

Oh, no! Media outlets are gonna pick this up! How does this make Marquette and my degree look? Oh, the horrors! If anything, Wojo is busting his rear so that local and national media will start covering us again and populating our post-game pressers again. Wojo loses it to a small gathering of student media while Coach K loses it and calls out his players in the national media capital of NYC, bright lights glaring. Yet some are afraid of a bad "look." The only look Wojo cares about is his team, thank God.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2018, 09:08:28 AM »

"They made us look bad, but we made ourselves looks bad. We did not play to a caliber worthy of our program. We had blank faces, we didn't talk, didn't communicate at all. WE WERE LIKE 5 INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE. IT WAS DISGUSTING TO WATCH, ACTUALLY. I DO NOT KNOW WHY. I CAN SAY THATS NOT THE GROUP I'VE COACHED ALL YEAR. VERY FRUSTRATING TO COACH TODAY. THEY DIDNT RESPOND TO ANYTHING I TOLD THEM UNTIL THE LAST 8 MIN, AND THATS UNNACCEPTABLE!!"

I wonder what coach called out his team yesterday. Could it be, oh maybe Coach K??

100% nailed this!! This is Wojo's mentor...THIS is what wojo should have said instead of the continual "we're young" drumbeat, or "it's on me" that he's been repeating. Sometimes, you have to call a spade a spade, and that's exactly what Coach K did and what Wojo should have done.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »

Coach K’s team isn’t Wojo’s team. So why would you want them to say the same thing?

I know some people get excited about this stuff but a coach knows

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
100% nailed this!! This is Wojo's mentor...THIS is what wojo should have said instead of the continual "we're young" drumbeat, or "it's on me" that he's been repeating. Sometimes, you have to call a spade a spade, and that's exactly what Coach K did and what Wojo should have done.

Wait, I'm confused. If he calls out his players he's passing the buck and covering up coaching mistakes, according to Scoop. If he doesn't call out his players, he's soft, according to Scoop. MUScoop is a microcosm of American politics, I guess. 50 percent are always against you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »

Coach K’s team isn’t Wojo’s team. So why would you want them to say the same thing?

Basically what I'm saying is, it doesn't hurt to call out the players like Coach K did..Yes, Wojo has to shoulder SOME of the responsibility for the debacle we have seen the last two games, but when they have played as bad as they have the past two games, it's on the players..and they need to be held accountable.

When struggles like this happen, seemingly out of the blue like this one has, I always wonder to myself, if there are some sort of chemistry issues that have cropped up. That may not be fair or right, but It always makes me wonder.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »

I agree 100 percent. Thought it went without saying. Wojo is walking gingerly around his young players' psyche while K is retorting his All-Americans. Different teams. Just brought it in to illustrate how some have attacked Wojo for allegedly covering his rear.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:42:57 AM by ZenyattasTapitColt »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Basically what I'm saying is, it doesn't hurt to call out the players like Coach K did..Yes, Wojo has to shoulder SOME of the responsibility for the debacle we have seen the last two games, but when they have played as bad as they have the past two games, it's on the players..and they need to be held accountable.

When struggles like this happen, seemingly out of the blue like this one has, I always wonder to myself, if there are some sort of chemistry issues that have cropped up. That may not be fair or right, but It always makes me wonder.

Good post. What concerns me is in no way an indictment of Harry Froling or Joey Hauser. We are fortunate to have both of them. I think it is coincidental and schedule-related more than anything, but our poorest stretch of basketball has occurred just after Harry became eligible. Did the changes made to the offense to accommodate this affect our chemistry?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »

Of course they have to be held accountable. They don’t have to be held accountable publically.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »

scoop intelligencia is a contradiction of terms. kind of like jumbo shrimp

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
Listen, I don't think Wojo should have gone Coach K and ripped the players, but I don't think he should act like a flapping seal up there.  I agree with Topper that it wasn't a Lee Elia meltdown but it also shows he isn't handling adversity well.

Write five-ten points down on an index card. Use your stat sheet.  Get composed. Call out the high and low lights with the three points needed for improvement.  "Great Big East game.  I appreciate the fan support on NMD.  Tough loss and a tough stretch for a young learning team. Providence is well-coached and experienced and responded well to our charge back led by the freshmen.  Theo and Greg were great. They zeroed in on our guards, we countered with Sam post ups. Foul trouble hurt both teams but our big three were really hampered.  Thought about going zone to protect them but we were down and needed on ball pressure.  With a young team building for the future, we got better defensively today but are still learning to defend the home court, taking control of the game. On to Seton Hall where they will be ready for us."

Instead we got a mic swatting, tightly wound, defensive, temper tantrum. It happens as these coaches are all in emotionally, but give the guy some media help. The public wants and expects to hear from him.  What went right, what went wrong and what's next--not the excuses and storm offs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Listen, I don't think Wojo should have gone Coach K and ripped the players, but I don't think he should act like a flapping seal up there.  I agree with Topper that it wasn't a Lee Elia meltdown but it also shows he isn't handling adversity well.

Write five-ten points down on an index card. Use your stat sheet.  Get composed. Call out the high and low lights with the three points needed for improvement.  "Great Big East game.  I appreciate the fan support on NMD.  Tough loss and a tough stretch for a young learning team. Providence is well-coached and experienced and responded well to our charge back led by the freshmen.  Theo and Greg were great. They zeroed in on our guards, we countered with Sam post ups. Foul trouble hurt both teams but our big three were really hampered.  Thought about going zone to protect them but we were down and needed on ball pressure.  With a young team building for the future, we got better defensively today but are still learning to defend the home court, taking control of the game. On to Seton Hall where they will be ready for us."

Instead we got a mic swatting, tightly wound, defensive, temper tantrum. It happens as these coaches are all in emotionally, but give the guy some media help. The public wants and expects to hear from him.  What went right, what went wrong and what's next--not the excuses and storm offs.

This entire subject is so stupid. So completely irrelevant.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »

This entire subject is so stupid. So completely irrelevant.

Thanks for FINALLY weighing in.  I was wondering where you would net out on this.