[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Great Charlotte Blizzard of '18!!!  (Read 3280 times)

MU82

• All American
The Great Charlotte Blizzard of '18!!!
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
It just started snowing here. About 1-2 inches is expected. It won't stick long, as temps will begin to head higher tomorrow. Beginning Saturday, forecast is for high temps of at least 50 for the next 2 weeks, so this might end up being The Big One of 2018. (And The Only One of 2018.)

They canceled today's school at 5:45 p.m. yesterday just on the threat of snow.

The South is SOOOO funny, y'all!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: The Great Charlotte Blizzard of '18!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »
It just started snowing here. About 1-2 inches is expected. It won't stick long, as temps will begin to head higher tomorrow. Beginning Saturday, forecast is for high temps of at least 50 for the next 2 weeks, so this might end up being The Big One of 2018. (And The Only One of 2018.)

They canceled today's school at 5:45 p.m. yesterday just on the threat of snow.

The South is SOOOO funny, y'all!

I will say having lived all of the country but now residing in the midwest for a number of years it is hilarious to watch the national news freak out any time a storm of any consequence approaches the eastern seaboard. I totally get south of the mason dixon line since snow and/or cold is rare, but man, the northeast must just be filled with a bunch of pansies.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
Same deal in the Triangle.  I now stay home with the rest of them.  Seen too many clueless people in ditches or causing accidents after an inch of snow to want to join them on the road.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
I lived in Winston-Salem during the blizzard of 1987. 18 inches crippled the city for a week.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
TAMU had a snow day yesterday.  No snow fell. It did rain and then freeze over though so it was probably for the best. Texans have no idea how to drive in any sort of ice or precipitation. Appreciated the four day weekend
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »
Texans have no idea how to drive in any sort of ice or precipitation.

And this is one main reason why we weren't particularly fond of Texans where I grew up.  This and the fact that they had much nicer ski equipment than we did, even though they couldn't ski worth a dam.  We did love their money, though.

Stay safe, MU82.  Stock up on water and batteries.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »

What's funny about that is that people were flocking to the stores for water yesterday, as if we were going to have Buffalo-type snow.

It's all good. They have, like, 2 plows here. So I know the score. But it's still pretty comical as a kid who spent his first 50 years in Connecticut, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »
People laugh about the south fear of snow but it's kind of realistic honestly.

Between very little experience driving in the conditions, coupled with the facts that the snow turns to ice there very quickly and they have like 2 plows per state.

I was down in Georgia a few years ago when they had the inch of ice that shutdown Atlanta and people were abandoning cars on the roads.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
And this is one main reason why we weren't particularly fond of Texans where I grew up.  This and the fact that they had much nicer ski equipment than we did, even though they couldn't ski worth a dam.  We did love their money, though.

For some reason, it's bread and milk. My sister took these pictures grocery store in Nashville last week when they were told ice was coming.

It always melts within a couple of days, but people down there act like it's Armageddon.
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
I will say having lived all of the country but now residing in the midwest for a number of years it is hilarious to watch the national news freak out any time a storm of any consequence approaches the eastern seaboard. I totally get south of the mason dixon line since snow and/or cold is rare, but man, the northeast must just be filled with a bunch of pansies.

Having grown up in MKE, and now living in Boston the last 15 years, and I have never seen as much snow in my life than living here.  I get the whole East coast wussy thing, but anything more than 8 inches the schools here have to close down.  Most of our neighborhoods have narrow streets for buses, high schoolers are dependent on the T to get around, and travel just becomes a nightmare.  Not a Boston Public Schools bus skidded of the road a few winters ago, and after that lawsuit if the District get nervous, they end up closing.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »
Having grown up in MKE, and now living in Boston the last 15 years, and I have never seen as much snow in my life than living here.  I get the whole East coast wussy thing, but anything more than 8 inches the schools here have to close down.  Most of our neighborhoods have narrow streets for buses, high schoolers are dependent on the T to get around, and travel just becomes a nightmare.  Not a Boston Public Schools bus skidded of the road a few winters ago, and after that lawsuit if the District get nervous, they end up closing.

It's not even in the same league.  In the South, they close schools when there is even a prediction of snow of any measurable amount.  I remember more than one snow day where we didn't get a flake of it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
I just saw something on Twitter that said the #1 thing Wal-Mart sells before giant storms are supposed to hit is strawberry pop tarts. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I found it funny.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »

No I get the impact of it, and I'm not denying that. I'm simply saying that it is somewhat routine but every time there is a 10 inch snowfall it's treated as if it's some rare event...it happens a couple of times a year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »
Remember the one year the pols were threatening a "government shutdown" over a budget deal. The bickering came to an end when a snow storm threatened and the pols wanted to hightail it home.  Meanwhile, the government was shut down for like 10 days as DC couldn't remove the snow.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
No I get the impact of it, and I'm not denying that. I'm simply saying that it is somewhat routine but every time there is a 10 inch snowfall it's treated as if it's some rare event...it happens a couple of times a year.

In Chicago, every freaking channel features live remotes during the first snowfall, with reporters standing on some random overpass.

Glow will attest that I always yell at the screen, "It's December! It's Chicago! The fact that it is snowing is not news!"
Have some patience, FFS.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »

People here in Colorado rag on Texans all the time for the same thing. Except here they're notorious for skiing in jeans (cotton! come on!) and for absolutely sucking at the sport - and sucking at driving too.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
I was in CPS from Kindergarden all the way through high school and I think we got two snow days in my 13 years, and it was a legitimate snow day.

It was my senior year of high school (2010-11) and it took snowpocalypse for the schools to be shut down for just two days (and school wasn't out of the question on day two). What was that, like two feet of snow?

Like the good Chicagoans we were, instead of hunkering down indoors, I walked over to my friends house to next day and spent a good few hours sledding.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:17:27 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »
Blizzard of 78.  Week and a half off from school.  We drove home from attending my grandfather's funeral in Ohio through some of the worst of it.  My dad, also a firefighter, fought his way to work the next day and didn't come home for 5 days.  Because we had been out of town, the larder was empty.  Walked a 1/2 mile to a 7/11 pulling a sled, loaded up, pulled it home.
  Snow drifts in the driveway up to the rim.  When dad got home, my younger brother and I got in trouble for not having it shoveled out.   Sledding off of building roofs into snow drifts.  Heaven for an 11 year old.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »

It ain't the people. It's the wall-to-wall news stations that have to fill 24 hours everyday with dramatic doings. They are all "snow events" now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

To be honest, having grown up in the midwest where getting pounded with snow is normal and you need 4-6 inches between midnight and morning to even DREAM of a snow day from school...I'm pretty jealous of living somewhere where flurries shut everything down.  Sounds fantastic.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
Blizzard of 78.  Week and a half off from school.  We drove home from attending my grandfather's funeral in Ohio through some of the worst of it.  My dad, also a firefighter, fought his way to work the next day and didn't come home for 5 days.  Because we had been out of town, the larder was empty.  Walked a 1/2 mile to a 7/11 pulling a sled, loaded up, pulled it home. Uphill....both ways!
  Snow drifts in the driveway up to the rim.  When dad got home, my younger brother and I got in trouble for not having it shoveled out.   Sledding off of building roofs into snow drifts.  Heaven for an 11 year old.

FIFY  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »
FIFY  ;D
Barefoot, too.     Although we DID wear the buckle boots with the breadbag liners.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
Blizzard of 78.  Week and a half off from school.  We drove home from attending my grandfather's funeral in Ohio through some of the worst of it.  My dad, also a firefighter, fought his way to work the next day and didn't come home for 5 days.  Because we had been out of town, the larder was empty.  Walked a 1/2 mile to a 7/11 pulling a sled, loaded up, pulled it home.

78 was fun. Jumping off the garage roof into a snow pile.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
A few years ago, I worked at a TV station in Madison and we had a news director from Alabama.  He was all worked up about a 1-2 snowstorm, basically wanting to give it the news coverage we gave normally for a foot of snow.  We all said, it's just 2 inches of snow; what is the big deal?