[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendan Bailey  (Read 29985 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Brendan Bailey
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
Two years off.    The Hausers in front of him.    Calculus isn't that difficult.    Just like when (if) Eke comes back, it would be folly to expect instant magic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
Looks like "rust" is going to beat out "instant impact player" in the Scoop meme showdown.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
Two years off.    The Hausers in front of him.    Calculus isn't that difficult.    Just like when (if) Eke comes back, it would be folly to expect instant magic.

I honestly forgot that Eke was still on the team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
I honestly forgot that Eke was still on the team.

I have a feeling Eke is either a walk-on next year, or completely off the team.  Seems like a great kid, and I feel bad for him.  But you can't hold a scholarship for a guy that isn't healthy enough to play. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
I have a feeling Eke is either a walk-on next year, or completely off the team.  Seems like a great kid, and I feel bad for him.  But you can't hold a scholarship for a guy that isn't healthy enough to play.

He won't be a walk-on. If he's on the team he'll have a scholarship, they aren't making him pay.

If he gives up basketball they'll get him some other scholarship so he can finish out his degree here. Not hopeful he will ever suit up at this point.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
He’s got a little ways to go that’s for sure. If he or Cain can turn the corner this season it could be huge come tourney time
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 05:19:15 PM »
My prediction is that he is the player on this team that will get the most playing time in the NBA.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
He won't be a walk-on. If he's on the team he'll have a scholarship, they aren't making him pay.

If he gives up basketball they'll get him some other scholarship so he can finish out his degree here. Not hopeful he will ever suit up at this point.

Can a former player stay on as a manager if ruled physically unable to compete?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
Bailey has shown moments of promise especially with blocked shots. He also played against some quality teams.  I am confident when he gets another extended opportunity he will make the most of it.  There will be a team out there he matches up well against and he will find a niche. If nothing else he will always be remembered for making the first regular season basket at the FF.

I have been following Creighton and how they have worked their freshman Forward Christian Bishop into their line up. They started off slow with him , and now they are giving him some minutes in selected situations and he has done well. That kid looks like he will be a very effective player for them in coming years.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
He does have 3 years left after this season which is a bit of time to improve. It definitely is a weird case though that he can be 21 and labeled a freshman because of his mission work fro 2 years.

Brendan has at least 15 games this season to improve. It's his first season competing at the Division I level; he's bound to have ups and downs. Between him and Jamal, I expect one of them to emerge as a more consistent contributor over the next month or so.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
My prediction is that he is the player on this team that will get the most playing time in the NBA.

Hmmmm... Markus is younger than Brendan by 1.3 years and is a probable 1st team AA this year. The only thing Brendan has him on is height.

Anything could happen but...

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
Still is promise there. Just needs to get used to the speed of the game.

Yep, premature to right him off this year.  Once his 3's start dropping we get a lot more time from him.  I'm in his corner.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
Hmmmm... Markus is younger than Brendan by 1.3 years and is a probable 1st team AA this year. The only thing Brendan has him on is height.

Anything could happen but...

Markus did spend the previous 2 seasons playing high-level college basketball while BB was off doing whatever people on missions do.

The notion that BB and Sam had similar ratings coming out of HS show the illogic of using HS ratings to project anything, especially once the athlete's rating gets higher than 25 or 30.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

romey

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Bailey has shown moments of promise especially with blocked shots. He also played against some quality teams.  I am confident when he gets another extended opportunity he will make the most of it.  There will be a team out there he matches up well against and he will find a niche. If nothing else he will always be remembered for making the first regular season basket at the FF.

I have been following Creighton and how they have worked their freshman Forward Christian Bishop into their line up. They started off slow with him , and now they are giving him some minutes in selected situations and he has done well. That kid looks like he will be a very effective player for them in coming years.
The first thing that I thought when I read the bolded sentence above was "I forgot that."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »
He’s got a little ways to go that’s for sure. If he or Cain can turn the corner this season it could be huge come tourney time
It maybe more necessary than huge.
Even one solid game of 6 -8 points, 8-10 rebs, 0-2 turnovers in 15-20 minutes could be the factor. If I see another ball go off jamal’s Hand/foot/leg I’m gonna lose it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »

If nothing else he will always be remembered for making the first regular season basket at the FF.

Will he? It’s been about two months and I had no idea when it happened or now, so always maybe a bit of a stretch.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
Yep, premature to right him off this year.  Once his 3's start dropping we get a lot more time from him.  I'm in his corner.

He's shooting 20% from 3. And a lot of his misses are baaaad. I think this is more of an if kind of thing, not a when kind of thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
He's shooting 20% from 3. And a lot of his misses are baaaad. I think this is more of an if kind of thing, not a when kind of thing.

Honestly, I've had the opposite perception of Bailey's shots. I swear most of his look perfect but just rim out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Honestly, I've had the opposite perception of Bailey's shots. I swear most of his look perfect but just rim out.

He occasionally has shots go way long. Not uncommon for a person that takes a bunch of time off, during an age where they get a lot stronger. They get stronger, but don't have enough in game repetitions yet. In a game situation they go back to muscle memory, which is embedded in a time period when they were not as strong.

Most of his shots are dead on, when he gets more repetitions, these occasional long misses will go away.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
Exactly!  He's a freshman. Not everyone is a Markus, Sam, Joey their freshman year; regardless of how old he is. Give him time. Bet next year he will be solid.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2019, 12:25:27 AM »
BB is going to make big strides in offseason.

If Markus stays, this team could be top 8ish most of the year next season.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »
Exactly!  He's a freshman. Not everyone is a Markus, Sam, Joey their freshman year; regardless of how old he is. Give him time. Bet next year he will be solid.

While I had hoped for more when hearing all the rave reviews from pre-season, I can't say I'm disappointed in BB at all. During the early stages of a player's career at any level if they are not an immediate star, I just hope to see those glimpses where they will make a high level play here and there to hint at their potential and what may come. BB has shown at times a scorer's mentality, a smooth stroke, an ability to drive inside and finish (I believe he had a big drive and bucket in either the Creighton or SH games) with a soft shot and the ability to use his length on D. I'm excited for his future given the skill set and what I've heard about his make-up. Sam, Joey and BB could really create some problems with their height and ability to play inside and out. I still think BB has a very bright future in the program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2019, 08:03:54 AM »
I would be shocked if Brendan had any major contributions until his junior year, or Jamal until his senior year.  The reality is Joey, Sam, and Markus are all going to get 30+ MPG the next year and a half, and the combination of Ed/Theo is going to get 35 MPG the next year and a half.  Add to it that Sacar will get 25 MPG the next year and a half, plus you're adding 3 guards/wings to the roster that aren't available this year while losing just one and there's very few minutes to go around, and even less shots to go around given that Markus will get 25 shots/game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:11:16 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »
I don't want to be negative about a player. BB seems to be a fine person and he's just a freshman...so waiting till the end of next year is a good idea before knowing his worth as a player...but right now he's lost out there. Great shooting seems to be an anecdote rather than a reality. His lack of minutes is, I believe, Wojo's justified misgivings about his effectiveness at gametime. I'm sure he could hit a few three's in a row in practice with his eye's closed. But it's not happening out there yet. A good coach plays the players who give us the best chance to win....so less Matt (one of my favorite players), less BB.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
BB is going to make big strides in offseason.

If Markus stays, this team could be top 8ish most of the year next season.

Agreed on both counts.

If MH stays, I can’t wait to see what they do for scheduling for next year.  I don’t know if I can remember such a successful MU team that will be returning virtually all of its significant pieces (maybe during the three amigos reign?).

And, I think BB could be one of those x-factor guys off the bench on such a squad—a 3 and D type, after he settles in and gets back into game flow.