[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendan Bailey  (Read 29883 times)

tower912

• All American
Brendan Bailey
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
Let's take this out of the recruiting thread.     He was a top 100 recruit.    Long and skinny then.  Dodds compared his game to Reggie Miller.    Now it is two years later.    What is a realistic expectation for someone coming back from their Mormon mission.    Has anyone really paid enough attention to BYU to be able to tell us how their guys perform INITIALLY after they get back?

Long term, I would love to see him be a Keelan Martin type.   6'7, 220, man's body, can shoot from distance as well as take smaller guys down low.    The equivalent of a third Hauser would be great, too.   Long, versatile. 
Short term, I fear he will be odd-man out next year.        Morrow, Hauser, Hauser, Cain, 4 bigs..... where are the minutes up front?   Is he quick enough to be a SG at the college level?   

Where does he fit?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Brendan Bailey
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Not sure about basketball, but BYU?s men?s volleyball team has players who return from missions every year and are immediate contributors. Not sure how that will translate to basketball players.

I don?t think he?ll ever have the build Martin has. He?s thin/wiry and his dad was always a lean guy. Martin is a big boy.

I think he?ll be a 3 that can play some 2 if needed and some 4 if needed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
If only Matt Mortensen would have went on his mission, we would have some experience here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
Given what will be on the roster (assuming no one leaves) I would assume Brendan to be the recipient of the dwindling minutes award next season. By the time conference play roles around I don't think he'll see the court as much because we'll be maxing minutes for Sam, Markus, Elliot, Cain, Murrow, Froling, and New Hauser. I think 2019 is his year when Greg moves 100% to the 1(cause Markus leaves a year early, don't @ me) which frees up space at the 3.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Looking at their current roster

TJ Haws -- LDS mission prior to enrollment. Played 76% of Min with an ORtg of 105.3 (107 in conference) Freshman year

Zac Seljaas - Played 2016, Mission 2017, Playing 2018 -- Increase in Min (48% - 56%), Decrease in ORtg (131 vs 113)

Luke Worthington - Played 2014, 2016 -- Mission 2016, 2017 -- Playing 2018 -- Increase in min (28% - 38%), Increase in ORtg (97 - 106)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
If only Matt Mortensen would have went on his mission, we would have some experience here.

This belongs in the Jake Arrieta thread.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
Watching his highlights (from the link below) it looks like he's going to be a 2/3 kind of guy. If we go big, he's probably not seeing a lot of time, but if we go small, he could be a nice guy to have on the floor. His game seems to be very perimeter-heavy, although there are a few clips that show off some post moves and a few cases where he actually puts the ball on the floor. He doesn't seem to be too athletic - there are even some wide open looks at the hoops where he still lays it in because he can't quite get up high enough to dunk, despite being 6-8 - but his length will bother 2's and 3's, so he may be OK defensively.

Stan said that Bailey has gained weight, which is great. Hopefully some time spent with Todd Smith will help to build on that even further. But given his build and skillset, I think Bailey is going to have a tough time getting minutes because he'll be playing behind Sam, Sacar, Jamal, Greg, and Joey. We're deep enough at the 4/5 that he probably won't be rotating in much down low either. All in all, he seems like a good prospect, but the roster makeup for next year doesn't bode well for him and his game.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Brendan-Bailey-is-Marquettes-recruit-on-a-Mormon-Mission-105778530

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »

I see what you did there.  And I like it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
Bailey has the biggest upside of any recruit in the Wojo era. He is a great shooter, court vision, genetics , and now has two years of maturity.  He is going to be done with Mission in March so he will have a full 6 months to get in game shape.

Brendan is an elite level shooter who is  going to come in taller and bigger than when we recruited him.  I project him as an exciting player at the 2/3.  He is going to create significant match up problems against most opponents.

He is a perfect fit for out team .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
Brendan is an elite level shooter
Really difficult to make this claim given his hiatus and the fact that he has played exactly 0 minutes in the NCAA. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »

Just mentioning Jake Arrieta will turn this into a Jake Arrieta thread once wades gets in here.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »

Assuming he's still the same player he was 2 years ago, talent-wise, and that he's bulked up a bit, who loses minutes due to his arrival? We're going to have 4-6 guys that seem to be solid wing players - Sam, Jamal, Joey, Bailey, and maybe Greg and Sacar. Where do the minutes come from for all these guys to get time? I can't imagine a top prospect like Joey getting fewer than 20 minutes a game by the time we hit conference play. Sam's minutes may not be as high as this year, but he's still got to be in the high 20's, maybe even as high as 30. That doesn't leave much left for the remaining 2 or 3 guys. Maybe GE and Sacar end up only in guard roles and not out at the wing, but then there's still an issue for Jamal and Bailey getting PT.

I'm sure this will be talked to death come April, but with next year's (assumed) depth, there will be a constant fight for minutes. Hopefully Wojo will be able to consistently run some smaller lineups to give Jamal and Bailey some valuable time, but I won't be surprised if they both end up seeing limited minutes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
Bailey has the biggest upside of any recruit in the Wojo era. He is a great shooter, court vision, genetics , and now has two years of maturity.  He is going to be done with Mission in March so he will have a full 6 months to get in game shape.

Brendan is an elite level shooter who is  going to come in taller and bigger than when we recruited him.  I project him as an exciting player at the 2/3.  He is going to create significant match up problems against most opponents.

Really? Any recruit? What about Joey Hauser? Henry Ellenson? Quentin Grimes? Markus Howard? Amir Coffey? Etc. Etc.

You can like a player without the outrageous over-exaggeration.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »

Thanks Herm. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
Lets all just take a step back and look at the bigger picture. The one candidate on our team that will likely play the least minutes next year is a consensus top 100 (top 75 in some services) recruit. That felt really good to type.

Also, I'd like to add that I think he will surprise a lot of people here. The coaches clearly love the kid and think he is a fantastic player. Being the son of a former NBA player can't hurt..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:56:32 PM by Tha Hound »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
Really? Any recruit? What about Joey Hauser? Henry Ellenson? Quentin Grimes? Markus Howard? Amir Coffey? Etc. Etc.

You can like a player without the outrageous over-exaggeration.

Could be that he meant recruits that Wojo hauled in. Which, to your point, still matches him up against Hank, Markus and the Hausers. But hard to argue against the fact that Bailey has the best mix of raw athleticism, size and intangibles working in his favor. We should not be surprised if he is very, very under the radar and explodes on the scene. Does that mean he will? Of course not - a lot of factors there. But the talent is definitely there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Just mentioning Jake Arrieta will turn this into a Jake Arrieta thread once wades gets in here.

Wades has already been here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
Could be that he meant recruits that Wojo hauled in. Which, to your point, still matches him up against Hank, Markus and the Hausers. But hard to argue against the fact that Bailey has the best mix of raw athleticism, size and intangibles working in his favor. We should not be surprised if he is very, very under the radar and explodes on the scene. Does that mean he will? Of course not - a lot of factors there. But the talent is definitely there.

Bailey doesn't strike me as an athlete. He seems like a role-playing shooter. His physical size is great, especially if he fills out a little bit, so hopefully the fact that his mission ends in March will give him some more time to hit the weight room. Even then, I think Bailey ends up playing a similar style to Novak - shoots the ball well but struggles to create his own shot.

I assume most coaches were aware of his talent but elected to go with players that didn't come with the 2 year waiting period. Wojo took a gamble that others weren't willing to take. We'll just have to wait a little while to see if that will pay off.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Bailey doesn't strike me as an athlete. He seems like a role-playing shooter. His physical size is great, especially if he fills out a little bit, so hopefully the fact that his mission ends in March will give him some more time to hit the weight room. Even then, I think Bailey ends up playing a similar style to Novak - shoots the ball well but struggles to create his own shot.

I assume most coaches were aware of his talent but elected to go with players that didn't come with the 2 year waiting period. Wojo took a gamble that others weren't willing to take. We'll just have to wait a little while to see if that will pay off.

I think other teams didn?t get overly involved because he committed to ASU early and then committed to MU due to his relationship with Stan from his recruiting Brendan to ASU, not being ?unwilling to take a risk.?

There was really no risk involved whatsoever. We didn?t tie up a scholarship while Bailey was on a mission.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »
Let's take this out of the recruiting thread.     He was a top 100 recruit.    Long and skinny then.  Dodds compared his game to Reggie Miller.    Now it is two years later.    What is a realistic expectation for someone coming back from their Mormon mission.    Has anyone really paid enough attention to BYU to be able to tell us how their guys perform INITIALLY after they get back?

Long term, I would love to see him be a Keelan Martin type.   6'7, 220, man's body, can shoot from distance as well as take smaller guys down low.    The equivalent of a third Hauser would be great, too.   Long, versatile. 
Short term, I fear he will be odd-man out next year.        Morrow, Hauser, Hauser, Cain, 4 bigs..... where are the minutes up front?   Is he quick enough to be a SG at the college level?   

Where does he fit?

He was 6'8" two years ago.  Hope to God he hasn't shrunk.  Would like to believe he has added twenty pounds and grown to 6'9".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
The only thing you are risking is the time it takes to recruit someone who can't help you for a couple of years.  But since Stan knew him ahead of time, it really wasn't much time. 

And I don't know why people have him slated not to play much.  I mean, a 6'8', 220 lb shooter?  As much as we talk about Joey, and for good reason, this guy could end up ahead of him and Jamal in the rotation.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »
Will be here for first session of summer school.   Some discussion about training in AZ with a certain brother.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
Will be here for first session of summer school.   Some discussion about training in AZ with a certain brother.

Thanks, now could possibly please go to recruiting thread and confirm MU staff still looking for a PG, either grad or high school and that is the #1 priority?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »

Is there a younger brother?  If so, how old/is he a potential high major prospect?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »
Is there a younger brother?  If so, how old/is he a potential high major prospect?
Markus?s brother is a trainer.