[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rowsey and Howard  (Read 5423 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Rowsey and Howard
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
Look at some of his highlights. Lots of his points come off a pass from the top of the key on spot ups. The only real move he has on ball is the crossover step back.

You need to re-watch the Providence game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
When he is shooting as much as he is, he is not really playing point guard.

Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook and lots of other "non-PGs" are on line #1 for you

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
Look at some of his highlights. Lots of his points come off a pass from the top of the key on spot ups. The only real move he has on ball is the crossover step back.

He beats guys off the dribble and gets to the hoop all the time. Far more than Rowsey. That's also shot creation.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
He beats guys off the dribble and gets to the hoop all the time. Far more than Rowsey. That's also shot creation.

He gets then beat off the dribble and drive off the rotations.

Note that this isn't attacking Howard or anything. It's just there's a reason he has never been the main point guard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
It is all about matchups, and improving our interior D.  Get matched up with a team like Kentucky or Cinci that cannot shoot to save their lives, and they'd have a real tough time keeping us with our scoring.  Problem is, those teams would just dunk and layup us to death if our D doesn't improve.

I remember when we were excited about getting South Carolina in the first round for this exact same reason.  That didn't work out very well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
I remember when we were excited about getting South Carolina in the first round for this exact same reason.  That didn't work out very well.

Truth. They were also underseedsd and clearly were playing grear basketball.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
I’m more worried about getting to the Tournament this year.

I think our inability to defend and stay out of foul trouble will keep us from any kind of run if we get there. Next year and beyond I think we can start making second weekends.

This year will be entirely matchups, I feel. Just like last year was. Put us in a 7/10 or 8/9 matchup against a team like St. Mary's, Missouri, or Nevada and we have a good shot of winning a game. Give us Duke or Arizona State in the second round and we have a fair shot to get to the Sweet 16. Texas, Syracuse, or Tennessee in the first round and we're probably headed right back home.

Teams that play great defense, like South Carolina did last year and Purdue and WSU did this year (even Georgia) are a pain for us. Since we can't defend anyone, we make even poor offenses look good. We need a team that, like us, plays offense but is lost on defense. Hopefully next year we'll put it together on both ends.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »
I still think South Carolina was a good matchup for us. We have no problem scoring on good defenses. We should have been able to outscore the Gamecocks O. Unfortunately, we played a below average game and South Carolina was about to play the best four games of their season. They were a team possessed, we were a team who looked just happy to be in the tournament.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
I still think South Carolina was a good matchup for us. We have no problem scoring on good defenses. We should have been able to outscore the Gamecocks O. Unfortunately, we played a below average game and South Carolina was about to play the best four games of their season. They were a team possessed, we were a team who looked just happy to be in the tournament.

Ehh, I don't know. Certainly not the case this year.

Marquette vs Top-75 kenpom defenses: 0-5
Marquette vs Sub-75 kenpom defenses: 11-0

We play a good defense, we lose. We play a bad defense, we win. So far the cut-off is actually between 60-78, as Xavier is #60 in adjusted defensive efficiency and Providence is #78. Obviously it won't be that simple as the season goes on, but we will need to buck that trend if we want to go to the Tournament. We have 10 games left against top-75 defenses.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »

We play a good defense, we lose. We play a bad defense, we win. So far the cut-off is actually between 60-78, as Xavier is #60 in adjusted defensive efficiency and Providence is #78. Obviously it won't be that simple as the season goes on, but we will need to buck that trend if we want to go to the Tournament. We have 10 games left against top-75 defenses.

Well...that's a bit of an oversimplification. 4 of those 5 losses are against teams currently ranked in the top 10 so I think its more accurate to say "When we play better teams, we lose." Purdue, Villanova, Wichita State, and Xavier all have better or equal adjusted offenses than defenses per KenPom. The only team that supports that hypothesis is Georgia, a sample size of 1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

Hey I recognize this talking point ;)

While I think it is pretty accurate for this season, I don't think it's retroactive. At this point in the year last season, MU had already beaten 3 top-60 defenses and lost to 2 sub-60 defense.

The reason I ascribe to the theory so earnestly this season is because the offense is so 3 dimensional this year. The Treys Amigos have scored 69% of MU's points this season. Last season, the top 3 scorers (Howard/Rowsey/Johnson) combined to score 44% of MU's points. The offense may be just as efficient this season, but I think it is much easier to stop at key moments, just because you don't have a Johnson or Fischer or Katin who can make you pay for keying in on 2 or 3 guys.

Long story short, I don't think MU will go winless against top-75 defenses the rest of the season, but I do think looking at a possible March matchup, MU would be better served facing a strong O, weak D than vice versa.   

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
Can somebody pud-splain it to me?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.