[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 115541 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2018 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
Some are, some aren’t.   The correlation between budget and acclaim is closer to zero than ever, IMO.  There are plenty of no-name actors and writers out there that are every bit as good as their household-name counterparts.

Regardless, it’s not a Millennial thing... the whole distribution model for both movies and TV is being turned upside-down as a result of technology that has - until recently - primarily been consumed, but not driven, by Millennials.

I didn't mean to imply it was directly a millennial thing. But couldn't think of a good way to describe this "time period"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
We're excited that The Good Place is back tonight.  Due to scheduling during the holidays, there has only been one new episode since mid-November.  The final three episodes of the season are tonight and the next two weeks.

I laughed when I saw their description of the season finale which is in keeping with their usual secrecy:  "Various events occur, in a certain specific order."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »
DVRed Project Blue Book on the History Channel.  It just began this week.  Based on declassified documents it looks very X-Files-ish.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
That Sandra Bullock Bird Box movie on Netflix kinda sucked.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
If martial arts and a bit of blood/violence doesn’t bother you, checkout the The Raid and/or The Night Comes for Us on Netflix.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Saw it at NY film festival with several hundred people and the Coens. Reception was ok, but not overwhelming. Need to see it again alone on the couch.

This is an interesting list and shockingly I am in sort of agreement. Llewyn Davis should be higher. A Serious Man and Burn After reading are really underrated movies.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/11/15/18096572/coen-brothers-movies-ranked-ballad-buster-scruggs-fargo-big-lebowski-millers-crossing-barton-fink

Agree that it's an interesting list. Like you, I thought Llewyn Davis was underrated but most of my friends who saw it were lukewarm. I might also have put Raising Arizona a bit higher. Hard to argue with the top 4, though I might have reversed their order.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »

I didn’t like it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »
Last month recovering from surgery, so I binged watched “Broadchurch” (3 seasons) and The Bodyguard.
Both shows on Netflix and were outstanding.  The Brits know how to produce excellent shows, acting, etc.
So much better than US shows. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
Last month recovering from surgery, so I binged watched “Broadchurch” (3 seasons) and The Bodyguard.
Both shows on Netflix and were outstanding.  The Brits know how to produce excellent shows, acting, etc.

+1

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »

Umm, yeah.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »

Two great shows.

Love a lot of the British dramas - don’t care for their comedies.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2019, 12:44:17 AM »
Futureman Season 2.  If you don’t like it, shove it in your rat hole.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »
We're excited that The Good Place is back tonight.  Due to scheduling during the holidays, there has only been one new episode since mid-November.  The final three episodes of the season are tonight and the next two weeks.

I laughed when I saw their description of the season finale which is in keeping with their usual secrecy:  "Various events occur, in a certain specific order."

I don’t want to spoil anything, but I can confirm that various events did occur. In a specific order.

I love this show. I’m not sure how they expect me to wait until the fall for new episodes.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
I don’t want to spoil anything, but I can confirm that various events did occur. In a specific order.

I love this show. I’m not sure how they expect me to wait until the fall for new episodes.

It was daddy-daughter night tonight for the finale.  When I explained no more episodes until next year, the only explanation I could conjure was, “Eleanor needs to finish Frozen 2 before they can make more episodes.”   That either totally worked or she’s now as confused as ever.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
It was daddy-daughter night tonight for the finale.  When I explained no more episodes until next year, the only explanation I could conjure was, “Eleanor needs to finish Frozen 2 before they can make more episodes.”   That either totally worked or she’s now as confused as ever.

Just tell her it's the Jeremy Bearimy timeline problem.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

The Good Place is one of the best shows on television right now.

If others are looking for shows, I'd really recommend Marvelous Mrs Maisel. I found the second season to be raucous.

I enjoyed the Jack Ryan show on Prime well enough. It's basically your cookie cutter Tom Clancy stuff--enough action to keep you engaged and having fun.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »

I enjoyed the Jack Ryan show on Prime well enough. It's basically your cookie cutter Tom Clancy stuff--enough action to keep you engaged and having fun.

I liked the modern version of the early Ryan years including "Jack meets Cathy" in that as well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »
I liked the modern version of the early Ryan years including "Jack meets Cathy" in that as well.

I enjoyed the Jack Ryan show as well though there is just something about Abbie Cornish that makes me feel like she is a terrible actress, I've never liked her in any role she's been in. Worst part of the whole show but still overall a very good show.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2019, 11:17:25 AM »
Enjoying the slow burn of the True Detective, season 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »
Enjoying the slow burn of the True Detective, season 3.

Just watched the first two episodes last night. I completely agree about the pacing. It reminded me of Rectify on Netflix, which I think is the beautifully paced and filmed TV show ever.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
Schitt's Creek - funniest thing anywhere right now.

Grand Tour Nation is back too.
But I like to throw handfuls...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
The Good Place is one of the best shows on television right now.

If others are looking for shows, I'd really recommend Marvelous Mrs Maisel. I found the second season to be raucous.

The Good Place is a personal favorite as well.  Had some family over last night so we couldn't watch.  Looking forward to watching tonight with the Mrs.

What do you do for things like Prime.  I already have Cablevision, MLB Network, Big 10 Network (just for basketball season), Hulu and Netflix.  There's only so many friggin subscriptions I can have, especially considering I mostly watch just Jeopardy, network news, sports and movies.  (Though I am a fan of Drunk History and Forensic Files every once in a while).  I think the Good Place is the only network show I watch since they canceled Timeless.  Do you get a subscription to a service, binge what you want to watch and then cancel?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
The Good Place is a personal favorite as well.  Had some family over last night so we couldn't watch.  Looking forward to watching tonight with the Mrs.

What do you do for things like Prime.  I already have Cablevision, MLB Network, Big 10 Network (just for basketball season), Hulu and Netflix.  There's only so many friggin subscriptions I can have, especially considering I mostly watch just Jeopardy, network news, sports and movies.  (Though I am a fan of Drunk History and Forensic Files every once in a while).  I think the Good Place is the only network show I watch since they canceled Timeless.  Do you get a subscription to a service, binge what you want to watch and then cancel?

Used to pay $225 a month for Spectrum w/ HBO (with home phone that I didn't need).

Changed to Direct tV plus HBO, plus Netflix, plus Hulu, plus Amazon Prime (in effect it is free cuz I get free shipping which more than makes up for cost). Cost is less than $160.

Once 2 year contract with DirecTV runs out, I will switch to Vue or Sling and save another $20.

So I get a lot more for a lot less $$$$$ than when I just had cable.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
Schitt's Creek - funniest thing anywhere right now.

Grand Tour Nation is back too.

Another show coming back to IFC this spring is Brockmire.....only show I've watched in the last 5 years that had me laughing tears at some point, and it pulled it off multiple times. Haven't watched Schitt's Creek though so I'll have to check it out.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Used to pay $225 a month for Spectrum w/ HBO (with home phone that I didn't need).

Changed to Direct tV plus HBO, plus Netflix, plus Hulu, plus Amazon Prime (in effect it is free cuz I get free shipping which more than makes up for cost). Cost is less than $160.

Once 2 year contract with DirecTV runs out, I will switch to Vue or Sling and save another $20.

So I get a lot more for a lot less $$$$$ than when I just had cable.

We're in the process of looking at changing.  My understanding is that we're paying a little over $200/mo for UVerse.  We got something in the mail from Cox, and it looked like we could cut our costs a lot.  Their fairly basic package is only like $90, so that looked great.  But then I realized it is pretty short on the ESPN channels (only flagship and 2), so I got started thinking about the next package up.  Then I saw that if I want a WiFi modem I'll either have to buy one or pay $10.99 a month.  DVR?  That's $12.99/mo for the basic level one, or $19.99/mo for the one I'd want.  Multiple TVs?  That's an extra $30/mo for three more TVs (but I can do that one for less if I want a "minibox" for one or more of the others -- it would definitely work on one of them).

So, when it's all said and done, not much savings at all -- although it does look like we'd be getting more channels and probably better WiFi than what we have now.