[Today at 10:10:04 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Only three players have been awarded the SOTG so far this year who will be the 4th?

Harry
19 (16.4%)
Sacar
19 (16.4%)
Matt
3 (2.6%)
Greg
1 (0.9%)
Jamal
60 (51.7%)
Theo
6 (5.2%)
Cam
1 (0.9%)
No one else
7 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Voting closed: January 10, 2018, 11:38:32 AM

Author Topic: Who will be 4th player to be SOTG this year?  (Read 4116 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Who will be 4th player to be SOTG this year?
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »
The big three are will be hard to beat on any given night, but I tend to think that someone will breakthrough.  My vote is for Harry.

tower912

• All American
Re: Who will be 4th player to be SOTG this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Harry or Jamal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:12 AM »

Cain
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »
I agree, Harry or Jamal. That's mainly because scoring it what will likely push someone past the big 3. Since Harry likely has more diversity in his scoring options (though Jamal has been impressive from 3 and driving the lane), I'll go with Harry.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
If Harry starts hitting those pick and pops watch out...but I choose Sacar.

We will have an old school Big East game soon and Sacar will thrive
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
Since Sacar has consistently been good, I think if he hits a couple of those 3’s he’s been missing, we’ll see him nab one.

One of these games, he will probably also create a play (turnover, etc)  in crunch time that leads to a win. He’s been making big plays in nearly every game, so it’s just a matter of time that one of them ends up being uge.

So I think he has more opportunities than the other guys, who might be able to have a great game or two, but don’t generally make a major impact. Harry especially, I’m not sure how he would be the most likely to be the next SOTG... He’s playing 13 minutes a game and even at that, his stats are significantly bolstered by being featured against American University. I can’t imagine him taking the Big East by storm, would love to see it but, doesn’t seem based in reality. I don’t know if he just got his whole family to log on to scoop and vote for him
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:00:07 PM by yetipro »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
I think Sacar will have a game where he scores 12-14 points, grabs 8-9 boards, but absolutely shuts down a Marcus Foster, or a Trevon Bluiett.  Someone else may get a SOTG before him, but he will get one before the seasons over.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
I agree, Harry or Jamal. That's mainly because scoring it what will likely push someone past the big 3. Since Harry likely has more diversity in his scoring options (though Jamal has been impressive from 3 and driving the lane), I'll go with Harry.

Does Harry really have diversity in his scoring? Does Harry even have scoring in his game at this point?

He's the worst shooter on the team in all 3 categories (FG%, 3P%, FT%), and is near the bottom in points per minute. I know a lot of people had high expectations for Harry as an offensive big man, but he hasn't shown the ability to be much of an offensive threat yet. Can we maybe try to temper expectations at some point here?

SlowJoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Jamal

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
Does Harry really have diversity in his scoring? Does Harry even have scoring in his game at this point?

He's the worst shooter on the team in all 3 categories (FG%, 3P%, FT%), and is near the bottom in points per minute. I know a lot of people had high expectations for Harry as an offensive big man, but he hasn't shown the ability to be much of an offensive threat yet. Can we maybe try to temper expectations at some point here?

My outlook is based on his options, not his output. He (supposedly) can hit the pick and pop. He has the height and strength in the lane. If he gets hot, plays decent defense and hits the boards in one game (and I think it may well happen), I see that as the most likely scenario for someone other than the big three to be a SOTG.

Jamal has a chance to have such a scoring jump that he could get votes, but I don't see him putting together such a complete game as a freshman to earn SOTG.

Sacar is a stat stuffer, but I don't see him having a game where he just explodes scoring and become SOTG.

I could easily be wrong, and I hope that I've offered bulletin board material to all of them.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
My outlook is based on his options, not his output. He (supposedly) can hit the pick and pop. He has the height and strength in the lane. If he gets hot, plays decent defense and hits the boards in one game (and I think it may well happen), I see that as the most likely scenario for someone other than the big three to be a SOTG.

I get it. So if Harry plays like a completely different basketball player than he has shown himself to be, then he could have a good game.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
I get it. So if Harry plays like a completely different basketball player than he has shown himself to be, then he could have a good game.

OK, that was too snarky, my bad. But in all seriousness, I still don't get why the general outlook on Harry is still so high when he hasn't shown us much offensively yet. If he can keep grabbing boards and getting assists here and there, I'll be happy. I just don't see the offensive potential at this point.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »

The responses make more sense if you read the question as:

"Who do you want to be the next SOTG?"

In that case, if Harry is playing at SOTG level then that will mean he came out of nowhere (objectively speaking), completely changing the arc of our season.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »
I think Sacar will have a game where he scores 12-14 points, grabs 8-9 boards, but absolutely shuts down a Marcus Foster, or a Trevon Bluiett.  Someone else may get a SOTG before him, but he will get one before the seasons over.

Agree.  I also think Matt will have a game where he gets a bunch of hoops on putbacks or layups off of pick and rolls, 10+ boards and a few blocks.  Nothing terribly flashy like Jamal might do, but a solid workmanlike performance.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
OK, that was too snarky, my bad. But in all seriousness, I still don't get why the general outlook on Harry is still so high when he hasn't shown us much offensively yet. If he can keep grabbing boards and getting assists here and there, I'll be happy. I just don't see the offensive potential at this point.

Dude, SSS alert.  He hadn't played in a real game in over a year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
And was playing with a hurt foot to boot (no pun intended, well yeah, what the heck!
Goal is National Championship

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »
I know Froling has history I know nothing about and practice output a mystery to me too....so all I have to go on is the games he’s played. I haven’t seen anything I’m optimistic about.

Theo is the hope more than him. Theo is aggressive around the basket. Lots to work on but big big upside. I see him SOTG sooner than Harry. I hope I’m wrong about HF but what we see is what we get.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »

I don't think that matters as much at this level. These guys aren't just going through walk throughs in practice. They're playing at game speed plenty often. A game or two to get used to being back in front of a crowd and to get out some jitters is fine, but let's not act like he's been sitting in his dorm room playing video games for the last year.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »
Unless it is a charitable designation of SOTG, the answer is none of the above.  This team is built on offense, and one of our top three players will have over 20pt in any game they win.  I don’t see anyone else hitting 20. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »

That didn't hurt Luke much.  19 points, 9 Rebs and 5 blocks against Arizona State....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
I don't think that matters as much at this level. These guys aren't just going through walk throughs in practice. They're playing at game speed plenty often. A game or two to get used to being back in front of a crowd and to get out some jitters is fine, but let's not act like he's been sitting in his dorm room playing video games for the last year.

He he hasn't.  But he lost 40 some pounds from the last time he played.  The rust is real. 

I don't expect the guy to be a savior, but I actually do expect him to be one of our top 5 players come mid-late February.  He has a dimension that this team sorely needs, and I think his shot is much better than he has shown to this point.

I am actually encouraged by what I've seen.  I also think him and Theo look great together on the court. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
He he hasn't.  But he lost 40 some pounds from the last time he played.  The rust is real. 

I don't expect the guy to be a savior, but I actually do expect him to be one of our top 5 players come mid-late February.  He has a dimension that this team sorely needs, and I think his shot is much better than he has shown to this point.

I am actually encouraged by what I've seen.  I also think him and Theo look great together on the court.

The weight loss thing shouldn't affect him a ton since he was losing that weight gradually as he was continuing to play. It could affect him if the coaches are now asking him to play a different style than he had before due to his (assumed) increased mobility and strength, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I like Harry's confidence, but let's not confuse confidence with ability. Just because he's willing to throw up 3's doesn't mean he's a shooter. And just because he's big doesn't mean he's a strong post player. It's nice to have added depth and a few more boards per game; I just don't see much more in his skillset right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
Nonsense, it’s Cam for sure. He’s gonna have a game where it’s a basketball version of Angels in the outfield only it’s his dad instead of Christopher Lloyd.

Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »
I voted Jamal, as he has had back to back solid games, so clearly the potential is there for him to have an exceptional game.    I disagree with you, skianth, about Harry.   I don't know if he will be good or not.    I have certainly seen indications that he has talent.   It is certainly possible that he will have that one magic came where he goes off.    Also, there are 16 more conference games.   As he gets up to game speed, I expect he will become a much more consistent player and contributor.     Remember, the freshmen looked tentative and lost in their first few games, too.    They have improved.    Why can't Harry?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
Another factor in my choice of Harry is that I actually don't anticipate anyone but 1 of the big 3 getting SOTG this year. In every game, we'll need at least one of them to shine, and, while I do expect Harry, Jamal and Sacar to each have at least one big game, I don't expect that any of them will have a bigger game than one of the big 3 in a victory. (And, Amoroso had a big game once, so why can't Harry?)