[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Only three players have been awarded the SOTG so far this year who will be the 4th?

Harry
19 (16.4%)
Sacar
19 (16.4%)
Matt
3 (2.6%)
Greg
1 (0.9%)
Jamal
60 (51.7%)
Theo
6 (5.2%)
Cam
1 (0.9%)
No one else
7 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Voting closed: January 10, 2018, 11:38:32 AM

Author Topic: Who will be 4th player to be SOTG this year?  (Read 4109 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Who will be 4th player to be SOTG this year?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
I voted Jamal, as he has had back to back solid games, so clearly the potential is there for him to have an exceptional game.    I disagree with you, skianth, about Harry.   I don't know if he will be good or not.    I have certainly seen indications that he has talent.   It is certainly possible that he will have that one magic came where he goes off.    Also, there are 16 more conference games.   As he gets up to game speed, I expect he will become a much more consistent player and contributor.     Remember, the freshmen looked tentative and lost in their first few games, too.    They have improved.    Why can't Harry?

Comparing freshmen who are new to college basketball to a transfer isn't apples to apples. As was mentioned above, Luke figured it out in his first game with MU. The transition from SMU to MU is much different, and easier, than the transition from HS to MU.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
Comparing freshmen who are new to college basketball to a transfer isn't apples to apples. As was mentioned above, Luke figured it out in his first game with MU. The transition from SMU to MU is much different, and easier, than the transition from HS to MU.

ASU looked surprised that Luke was even on the roster.  That had to be one of his best games of the year -- they didnt even guard him.  I really don't know that it is fair to use the ASU event as an indictment on any other player.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
I voted Jamal, as he has had back to back solid games, so clearly the potential is there for him to have an exceptional game.    I disagree with you, skianth, about Harry.   I don't know if he will be good or not.    I have certainly seen indications that he has talent.   It is certainly possible that he will have that one magic came where he goes off.    Also, there are 16 more conference games.   As he gets up to game speed, I expect he will become a much more consistent player and contributor.     Remember, the freshmen looked tentative and lost in their first few games, too.    They have improved.    Why can't Harry?

As noted above, Cam could have a miracle game, too.

First, Heldt and Theo need to be get into serious foul trouble, Rowsey needs to be ejected, Markus gets double teamed, and we're playing a near-D2 team.

Then, who knows... Miracles do happen

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
I'm just hoping that Marcus gets another SOTG...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
OK, that was too snarky, my bad. But in all seriousness, I still don't get why the general outlook on Harry is still so high when he hasn't shown us much offensively yet. If he can keep grabbing boards and getting assists here and there, I'll be happy. I just don't see the offensive potential at this point.
That is the nature of being a great white hope . It is the same thinking that people had surrounding Gerry Cooney back in the day.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
I went with Jamal.  I think he's got the potential to be something special for the Warriors.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »

LOL  And that's why Luke was All Big East for three years, right?

You do realize that that was possibly Luke's best game at MU?

More likely, teams scouted that game and learned how to game plan for Luke.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »
That is the nature of being a great white hope . It is the same thinking that people had surrounding Gerry Cooney back in the day.

Says the guy who single handedly brought us the great Kostas hope!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
I'm just hoping that Marcus gets another SOTG...

I agree with the spirit of this post. We need Markus Howard to play consistently like we know he can. Both halves game in game out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
Harry and wins it tonight.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »
LOL  And that's why Luke was All Big East for three years, right?

You do realize that that was possibly Luke's best game at MU?

More likely, teams scouted that game and learned how to game plan for Luke.

My point is that Luke came out of the gates firing on all cylinders, so I'm not buying the line about not playing for a year slowing Harry down. And even if that was due to not being in the scouting report, why wasn't Harry able to do the same thing?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Harry and wins it tonight.

Whoops.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
Says the guy who single handedly brought us the great Kostas hope!
Stick around for the second game, not only do you get Kostas but Allie the CBS Sports hottie will be on the sideline.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »
Bump

mug644

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
My outlook is based on his options, not his output. He (supposedly) can hit the pick and pop. He has the height and strength in the lane. If he gets hot, plays decent defense and hits the boards in one game (and I think it may well happen), I see that as the most likely scenario for someone other than the big three to be a SOTG.

Jamal has a chance to have such a scoring jump that he could get votes, but I don't see him putting together such a complete game as a freshman to earn SOTG.

Sacar is a stat stuffer, but I don't see him having a game where he just explodes scoring and become SOTG.

I could easily be wrong, and I hope that I've offered bulletin board material to all of them.

Well, count me as wrong. Sacar explodes and becomes SOTG. And well deserved.

Count me as wrong about Harry, too. I now accept that his rumored potential is unlikely, this year at least, to be equaled by his output. (Again, I'll hope for bulletin board material.)