collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Parents at sporting events  (Read 8277 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Parents at sporting events
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
It just keeps getting worse and worse...

Was at a game today where a parent got in the face and tried to start of fight because the kid yelled "Cheeseburger" and faked sneezed during a free throw. The kicker? the parent screamed "have some class" in the kids face.

Another one from last week parents actively cheering for their child's team to lose because their kid wasn't playing.

And the final one, a kid got an inadvertent elbow to the face on a rebound, completely accidental. The parent moves from their seat behind the opposing teams bench to scream at the players for the rest of the game.

tower912

• All American
Re: Parents at sporting events
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
A symptom.   I am grateful to have supportive, positive parents of the kids I get to coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:38:45 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
That's an awesome sign.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »

Re No. 5:  Yeah, I know...thanks to the idiot coach and my kid's crappy teammates.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »
Re No. 5:  Yeah, I know...thanks to the idiot coach and my kid's crappy teammates.

Not to mention the blind ump who is calling the obvious strikes your kid is throwing as balls.
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »

Was at a game today where a parent got in the face and tried to start of fight because the kid yelled "Cheeseburger" and faked sneezed during a free throw. The kicker? the parent screamed "have some class" in the kids face.

C'mon, the kid was just trying out his best free throw defense....
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »
Craig Counsel is regularly at our little league watching his kid .. and probably scouting. 

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:15:22 PM »
I don't think you can say it's getting worse and worse. I coached little league baseball from 93-96 and there were awesome parents, complaining parents, and abusive belligerent parents. We were the only coaches in the league that didn't have kids of our own and we oftentimes had to remind parents that they were welcome to take over if they could do better.  Surprisingly no one did.

Those kids may have kids now old enough to be playing in that same league. Scary.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
I don't think you can say it's getting worse and worse. I coached little league baseball from 93-96 and there were awesome parents, complaining parents, and abusive belligerent parents. We were the only coaches in the league that didn't have kids of our own and we oftentimes had to remind parents that they were welcome to take over if they could do better.  Surprisingly no one did.

Those kids may have kids now old enough to be playing in that same league. Scary.

Ditto mid-80's.  And bear in mind that at the time in our town, it was HS kids coaching the little league teams.  And parents still were obnoxious to the coaches.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
We had a coach (who'd donated large $$) who berated a 13-year old umpire, enough so that other coaches and parents intervened.   Police were called and he was removed.  The kicker was, weeks later, his team won the championship, much to the joy of no one.

He did it again the next year, and was banned from the park.

I mean, jesus, what's the #1 thing you do not do?  Berate a 13 year old umpire?  Are you freaking kidding me?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »

I pretty much agree with this.

I have been playing/parenting/coaching/officiating youth sports for 45 years. I can give many instances of crap that happened 40 years ago, some that happened when I reffed 2 weeks ago - and every time in between.

In general, I have found most parents, coaches and athletes to be OK. Some better than others, few horrible.

The truly horrible ones are the ones we remember, and when one happens now, the reaction tends to be, "It's getting worse!" That's recency bias.

I do love chickadee's sign, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
We had a coach (who'd donated large $$) who berated a 13-year old umpire, enough so that other coaches and parents intervened.   Police were called and he was removed.  The kicker was, weeks later, his team won the championship, much to the joy of no one.

He did it again the next year, and was banned from the park.

I mean, jesus, what's the #1 thing you do not do?  Berate a 13 year old umpire?  Are you freaking kidding me?

My brother, (18-20) at the time used to ump beer league softball in my hometown.  No idea why he did it.  20-50 year old men are extremely mean... sorta like 13 year old girls.

Didn't stop my brother from throwing more than a few out of games for it.  I think he got a bit of satisfaction from that part.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
My brother, (18-20) at the time used to ump beer league softball in my hometown.  No idea why he did it.  20-50 year old men are extremely mean... sorta like 13 year old girls.

Didn't stop my brother from throwing more than a few out of games for it.  I think he got a bit of satisfaction from that part.

I reffed the highly-competitive intramural basketball league at Marquette.  Those guys were the worst. Look, I am sorry you didn't get a D-1 scholly, but don't take it out on me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:53:36 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »
I reffed the highly-competitive intramural basketball at Marquette.  Those guys were the worst.  I am sorry you didn't get a D-1 scholly, but don't take it out on me.

I was friends with plenty of those guys.

I'm sorry... they were the worst.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 08:03:04 PM »

I umpire at the Rock in Franklin.  The old guy (55+) and college-aged (18-28) leagues are a blast.  The men in the 28+ and 35+ leagues are terrible.  They act worse than children.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
I reffed the highly-competitive intramural basketball league at Marquette.  Those guys were the worst. Look, I am sorry you didn't get a D-1 scholly, but don't take it out on me.

Back in my olden daze playing intramural hoops at Helfaer, they only had one ref at every game. He or she couldn't possibly see everything, so I pretty much did anything and everything I could get away with until I got caught.

For example, I'd stand in the lane for 20 seconds or however long until the ref showed me he/she would call 3-seconds on me. Never happened. I used to grab and clutch and hold. I was Macura ... except I sucked at basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:27 AM »
I coached youth sports forever (as well as reffed basketball and umpired baseball) and I used to give a letter to every parent before every season that basically said I don't want to hear anything out of your mouths during the games other than support for your kids.  Because the leagues were pay to play, I told them that every kid was going to play roughly the same amount and that my goals were first to make sure the kids had fun, second that they learned the game and improved their skills, and thirdly that we win some games.

The thing most youth coaches don't understand is that when you force the weaker kids to play important roles, and not just obviously bury them in spots where they can do the least damage, they feel more like part of them team and they get better at a much faster rate.  I won a lot more than I lost with this philosophy, and always had less dead weight by the end of the season, as the weaker kids would not be stars, but at least would be passable.  One of my favorite comments I got from a parent was "I used to have to drag my kid to the games and practices because he felt like the team really didn't need or want him, but on your team he feels like you really need him and he looks forward to playing."  That attitude is always what I was trying to foster.

As for umpires/refs, I would immediately admonish parents who said anything negative to them, and when I had my complaints I would quietly discuss with them between innings or during timeouts.  With the kid umps, the only thing I would do after the game is offer advice on where to stand, what to look for or whatever, never complain about individual calls, no matter how much I wanted to.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
Had one of those parents the other night.
Yelling because....  she didn't like the way my team set picks played defense, got the ball to a hot shooter, held the ball with a 10  point   lead and 3 minutes left.  Didn't like the refs for a 5th grade basketball game.  Didn't like the way the coach of her kid's team.... didn't stop the pick and roll, didn't play her kid more, didn't yell at the refs enough and that we only won because their best player was gone.

Bad enough that by the end of the game, everyone had moved away from her and she had the section of bleachers to herself.  And then she went to the other coach after the game.

I sent an email to the parents of my team thanking them for not acting like that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »
In nearly 10 years of officiating youth hockey, I never encountered anything remotely close to what you guys are describing from the fans/parents.  Never.

USA Hockey instituted a zero-tolerance policy many years ago... essentially, if anything unsportsmanlike comes from the bench, it was an automatic bench minor the first time and the coach was ejected the second.  Anything unsportsmanlike coming from the stands and the referee would stop the game, ask both coaches to figure out "who did it," and if they took more than 30 seconds to do so, the players were sent to their benches and the scoreboard operator was instructed to run the game clock.  Since the game would not resume until the offender(s) leave the rink, you'd be surprised at how consistently reliable and willing the parents/fans (from the same team, no less) would reveal the offender(s).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

Another one from last week parents actively cheering for their child's team to lose because their kid wasn't playing.

And the final one, a kid got an inadvertent elbow to the face on a rebound, completely accidental. The parent moves from their seat behind the opposing teams bench to scream at the players for the rest of the game.
My younger daughter plays water polo.  Fortunately, my questionable swimming skills prevent me from even contemplating something like this.  It's embarrassing if the kid you are confronting has to first save you from drowning.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:44:43 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »
Had one of those parents the other night.
Yelling because....  she didn't like the way my team set picks played defense, got the ball to a hot shooter, held the ball with a 10  point   lead and 3 minutes left.  Didn't like the refs for a 5th grade basketball game.  Didn't like the way the coach of her kid's team.... didn't stop the pick and roll, didn't play her kid more, didn't yell at the refs enough and that we only won because their best player was gone.

Bad enough that by the end of the game, everyone had moved away from her and she had the section of bleachers to herself.  And then she went to the other coach after the game.

I sent an email to the parents of my team thanking them for not acting like that.

The one thing I don't do in youth basketball is hold the the ball unless it's under a minute. I'll tell them to slow down but I'm training these kids to be successful at the high school level. Not win at the youth. This is why my tallest kid isnt stuck inside the paint the entire game etc.

Teaching them to hold the ball with 3 minutes isn't going to help them out when the inevitable shot clock comes to high school in a couple years.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
I hated that in high school where I was about six foot tall and was always made to play center and offensive lineman in football rather than any of the skill positions. And the smaller kids were always point guard or wide receiver.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »
The one thing I don't do in youth basketball is hold the the ball unless it's under a minute. I'll tell them to slow down but I'm training these kids to be successful at the high school level. Not win at the youth. This is why my tallest kid isnt stuck inside the paint the entire game etc.

Teaching them to hold the ball with 3 minutes isn't going to help them out when the inevitable shot clock comes to high school in a couple years.
The 5th grade team has no height.  We are teaching them all to handle the ball.  I generally agree with not holding the ball.  That is one of the few things I disagree with my Co-coach about.   His counter argument is that he has been accused of running up the score in similar situations.  So he will sit on the ball and make the other team foul.  I argue to let the kids keep playing.  He gets to make the final call.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:56 PM »
I was lucky. I coached youth soccer for my daughters (about six or seven seasons total), and never had a nasty parent experience in one of our games.

Maybe their amusement saved us - me coaching soccer is like the blind leading the blind.

feedback