collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lavar Ball starting pro league for high school grads?  (Read 5685 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Lavar Ball starting pro league for high school grads?
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Doubtful this actually happens ....

LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he's launching a basketball league for nationally-ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.
Ball's Junior Basketball Association, which he says is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand, plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month, Ball said. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Lavar Ball starting pro league for high school grads?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

I'm skeptical.  Assuming an average salary of $5k/month, that would be payroll of approximately $400k/month got if they 80 players.  That wouldn't include cost of other personnel or other costs associated with running the league (travel, equipment, facilities, marketing, etc.).

I have no idea how much money BBB is generating.  But this plan seems like a pretty good way to blow whatever money he's making.

Ultimately, I believe a league like this would help make the case that high major MBB is the best (or only) option for elite players.  They get free room and board, excellent coaching, great facilities, professional staff, travel and incomparable exposure.  Oh, and an education too, if they're into that.  I just don't think there is any way to compete with what most D1 programs provide to their MBB players that is financially viable.

And, once they resume letting kids go straight to the NBA, there will be no need for this.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
"We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

Probably the smartest thing that's come out of Papa Ball in several years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »
Child labor laws?  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
I think NBA teams trust the quality of coaching that these guys are getting at most programs.  Unless they plan on paying high six figure salaries to coaches, this is just going to turn into the equivalent of another AAU-type of free for all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
What is this mean for MU's lease at the Silk Exotic Entertainment District-FoxConn Arena?  We gonna be bumped down?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
Probably the smartest thing that's come out of Papa Ball in several years.

I do think it's funny that even when starting his own league with its own logo, he totally rips off the NBA logo.

Here's the league website.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
Wait? Nobody dribbles any more? Damn ... I must be watching the wrong sport!

I'm a little skeptical. But that didn't stop me from sending in my resume to coach one of the franchises.

Honolulu Hoopers, here I come!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »

LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he's launching a basketball league for nationally-ranked players who have graduated from high school but don't want to go to college.
Ball's Junior Basketball Association, which he says is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand, plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month, Ball said. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

Those salaries won't be enough to get quality players to fill out a worthwhile league.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Any kid would have to be a total moron to play in this league after seeing the way Lavar tossed UCLA aside when they no longer met his own personal needs. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Alcatraz wood be a good place ta start, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
Alcatraz wood be a good place ta start, hey?

Already spoken for...

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 11:01:20 PM »
Would be fricking awesome if somehow this league was at least mildly successful.....
  • Kids who have no interest in school are not "forced" to go
  • Opens up scholarships for kids actually interested in going to school
  • Allows kids to make a living doing what they love
  • May actually level the NCAA playing field.  Maybe.
  • Less one and done types in the NCAA's who are not interested in team basketball, thus improving the game

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »
About zero chance this would be successful.  Their is no brand connection, no alumni base, no interest from an audience...there would be next to no fans.

There is a reason this wasn't done before. 

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
Would be fricking awesome if somehow this league was at least mildly successful.....
  • Kids who have no interest in school are not "forced" to go
  • Opens up scholarships for kids actually interested in going to school
  • Allows kids to make a living doing what they love
  • May actually level the NCAA playing field.  Maybe.
  • Less one and done types in the NCAA's who are not interested in team basketball, thus improving the game

Unless you are the kid making 10,000 a month the 3,000 a month isn't going to allow you to make a living in those cities listed.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 03:03:30 AM »
So I'm going to turn down not having to worry about finding a place to live and where to eat for making $3000 a month in Atlanta, Brooklyn, Dallas, or LA?

Anyone who goes to this will have an even harder reality check than most when you realize how much of that $3000 a month is take home after Uncle Sam and the State dip their hands in.

As already mentioned you have coaches to pay, trainers to pay, doctors to pay, facilities to rent, travel, lodging when teams are on the road, etc. etc. etc.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »

Anyone who goes to this will have an even harder reality check than most when you realize how much of that $3000 a month is take home after Uncle Sam and the State dip their hands in.

Thank God for the tax cut.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 07:40:32 AM »
Unless you are the kid making 10,000 a month the 3,000 a month isn't going to allow you to make a living in those cities listed.

that 3,000 a month is still a lot more than most college students make.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
that 3,000 a month is still a lot more than most college students make.

A full scholarship basketball player in college will live and eat better than a basketball player making $3,000/month in a big city for 6 months/year. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
A full scholarship basketball player in college will live and eat better than a basketball player making $3,000/month in a big city for 6 months/year. 

Two words: Host Families.  And there'll be no shortage of them willing to sign up.  Imagine an opportunity to have a potential NBA star live with your family for a year.  Personally, it's not my bag, but I bet a lot of people would jump as high as Lavar says for that gig.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could actually work.  Dislike him or hate him, Lavar's got the star power and notoriety to raise the capital and pull this off.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Two words: Host Families.  And there'll be no shortage of them willing to sign up.  Imagine an opportunity to have a potential NBA star live with your family for a year.  Personally, it's not my bag, but I bet a lot of people would jump as high as Lavar says for that gig.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could actually work.  Dislike him or hate him, Lavar's got the star power and notoriety to raise the capital and pull this off.

Since they'd be paid athletes and this was set up by the league, wouldn't they need to report the value of the room and board as income?  If so, it would be very different than the tax treatment of scholarship athletes' room and board.  They could end up having to pay taxes with money they don't have....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
Since they'd be paid athletes and this was set up by the league, wouldn't they need to report the value of the room and board as income?  If so, it would be very different than the tax treatment of scholarship athletes' room and board.  They could end up having to pay taxes with money they don't have....

It doesn't have to be set up by the league.  The NWSL, the female counterpart to MLS, has similar, non-livable salaries and many of the players stay with host families and I imagine those players aren't being taxed on staying with families, its a volunteer situation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
The league will officially have hit the big time when LaVar starts ripping on the coaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
Merging this idea with the existing G league actually has merit.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
Merging this idea with the existing G league actually has merit.

Dang.  I forgot about the G League.  Don’t think two minor league systems could both survive, but maybe there is a benefit of rolling the two together. 

LaVar May be the second coming of Jackie Moon on this one.