collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Midwest Cities  (Read 21287 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Midwest Cities
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 08:22:43 AM »
To visit...

1. Chicago
2. Milwaukee
3. Madison

To live in...

1. Milwaukee
2. Madison
3. Chicago (too expensive and the city and state are broke)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
If I ever return to a big city, I'd choose Minneapolis in a heartbeat.  Not a burb, but in the city - somewhere in the area from Lowry Hill East to Tangletown.  Definitely not suburbia there. 

I grew up in Milwaukee and there is lots there, and I love visiting Chicago in short doses, but neither comes close to Minny if I was considering long-term.

For middle-sized cities, I love my current hometown of Rochester.  It's currently just over 100,000 but with restaurants and shopping more like you'd find in a city 3-4 times its size...mainly because of a relatively wealthy demographic and the international visitors to the Mayo Clinic.  And we are just on the start of a medical technology and research boom.

I like Madison a lot, but I'd take Rochester any day.  Never been to Grand Rapids, but I've heard it's nice as well.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
Slightly off topic but I grew up in LA which is currently on fire and has had a 25% increase in homelessness over the past year, so go Midwest in general :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
Food: Chicago has Michelin starred restaurants; Madison has none; advantage Chicago

Beer:  Chicago has pipeworks, revolution, half acre, one of the lagunitas brweries, one of the two brothers breweries and three floyds. Madison has Ale Asylum and being driving distance from New glarus; advantage Chicago

Sports: Chicago has the Blackhawks, Bears, White Sox, Bulls, Cubs (boo), and Northwestern if you want to catch college ball. Madison has the Badgers. Advantage Chicago.

Aesthetic: Chicago is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the United States with contributions from everyone from Frank Lloyd Wright, Burnham and has one of the most beautiful skylines in the world. Madison has no skyline. Advantage Chicago.

Feel free to add more categories or cities. these are just the ones that popped into my head on the way to work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:44:18 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
Slightly off topic but I grew up in LA which is currently on fire and has had a 25% increase in homelessness over the past year, so go Midwest in general :)

I'd rather be homeless in LA than Milwaukee

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
Food: Chicago has Michelin starred restaurants; Madison has none; advantage Chicago

Beer:  Chicago has pipeworks, revolution, half acre, one of the lagunitas brweries, one of the two brothers breweries and three floyds. Madison has Ale Asylum and being driving distance from New glarus; advantage Chicago

Sports: Chicago has the Blackhawks, Bears, White Sox, Bulls, Cubs (boo), and Northwestern if you want to catch college ball. Madison has the Badgers. Advantage Chicago.

Aesthetic: Chicago is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the United States with contributions from everyone from Frank Lloyd Wright, Burnham and has one of the most beautiful skylines in the world. Madison has no skyline. Advantage Chicago.

Feel free to add more categories these are just the ones that popped into my head on the way to work.
You're just scratching the surface on Chicago beer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
You're just scratching the surface on Chicago beer.

Well and Madison beer too.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
Grew up on east coast, Milwaukee during MU years notwithstanding a year in Rome, lived in Chicago for 5, abroad, and am now out west.

I can't even believe this is a topic for debate. Chicago is a first-rate city that I always recommend to people I meet when traveling around the world - for the food, the culture, the people, etc. Madison, Minneapolis, MKE, etc. are all fine places, each with their own unique qualities I guess, but they're provincial Midwestern cities and I wouldn't even recommend them to folks in the US unless they happened to be nearby. We're all biased toward our own experiences but by nearly every metric, Chicago is the only city in the Midwest that can hold its own culturally on the national and international level.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »

Feel free to add more categories or cities. these are just the ones that popped into my head on the way to work.

Those are all reasons why  Chicago is the best place to visit, but that doesn’t mean it is the best place to live. For some yes, for others no. I guess it has to do with what you like and what your priorities are. I like to visit Chicago but it would be way down on my list for places to live. Milwaukee has its share of big city problems to be sure, but it also has many positives including the lake country suburbs where I live. BTW Milwaukee has it's share of outstanding breweries also micro and other.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:02:43 AM by hairy worthen »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
I'd rather be homeless in LA than Milwaukee
That is basically the choice I have

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Grew up on east coast, Milwaukee during MU years notwithstanding a year in Rome, lived in Chicago for 5, abroad, and am now out west.

I can't even believe this is a topic for debate. Chicago is a first-rate city that I always recommend to people I meet when traveling around the world - for the food, the culture, the people, etc. Madison, Minneapolis, MKE, etc. are all fine places, each with their own unique qualities I guess, but they're provincial Midwestern cities and I wouldn't even recommend them to folks in the US unless they happened to be nearby. We're all biased toward our own experiences but by nearly every metric, Chicago is the only city in the Midwest that can hold its own culturally on the national and international level.

Right.  But I wouldn't want to live there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
Those are all reasons why the Chicago is the best place to visit, but that doesn’t mean it is the best place to live. For some yes, for others no. I guess it has to do with what you like and what your priorities are. I like to visit Chicago but it would be way down on my list for places to live. Milwaukee has its share of big city problems to be sure, but for it also has many positives including the lake country suburbs where I live. BTW Milwaukee has it's share of outstanding breweries also micro and other.

But how often does one visit? Half my dad’s family is from east Troy and Waukesha, that half never steps foot in Chicago which is a consensus I had heard from multiple sconi’s during my tenure at MU.

Re Milwaukee. that’s why I said someone can add other cities to the list. Milwaukee’s my third favorite city after Chicago and Boston, it’s for sure an actual hidden gem and travel, food, and beer blogs generally agree with that sentiment. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »
But how often does one visit? Half my dad’s family is from east Troy and Waukesha, that half never steps foot in Chicago which is a consensus I had heard from multiple sconi’s during my tenure at MU.

Re Milwaukee. that’s why I said someone can add other cities to the list. Milwaukee’s my third favorite city after Chicago and Boston, it’s for sure an actual hidden gem and travel, food, and beer blogs generally agree with that sentiment.

I would say I get to Chicago 4 to 6 tines a year. Another nice thing abut Milwaukee is if I ever want to experience what Chicago has to offer, I am only about a 1.5 hour drive away.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
I would say I get to Chicago 4 to 6 tines a year. Another nice thing abut Milwaukee is if I ever want to experience what Chicago has to offer, I am only about a 1.5 hour drive away.

More power to you then. Many of the Wisconsin folk I know are too full of Wisconsin pride or Chicago envy, and in a couple cases genuinely scared, to ever visit Chicago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
The Chicago skyline is definitely appeasing and in my opinion the best in the United States.  Having said that Milwaukee beats Chicago for me, and Madison isn't even in the conversation.

Given my profession I travel to a lot of places, and while I don't stay very long to get a great "feel" of the area, I think you can tell relatively quickly if said place is livable.

Chicago, crime is horrible wasn't it something like 20+ people shot during Labor Day weekend?  Public schools are awful (granted so are milwaukees public schools) cost of living (I get it, much larger city) and taxes. Many colleagues of mine are moving north over the boarder to escape the taxes of Illinois.

Pathetic when you have government officials retiring at 50 collecting 100k/year pensions for being a police officer. Nothing against police officers, I appreciate their service, but that's ridiculous.

I personally know two state troopers who are husband and wife in Illinois who make $150,000/yr per person FOR RETIREMENT!  f### out of here.

Many friends I have have flown into Milwaukee to visit me thinking "this place is going to be a sh*thole.  After a few hours they quickly changed their tune.  They loved the restaurants, downtown, lake country area (pine, okauchee, etc). Lake drive is beautiful, and the schools are superb   I live in whitefish bay, but fox point, mequon, new Berlin, Waukesha county all have fantastic schools.

I think Milwaukee is a great city, and it's a stones throw away from Chicago if you want the big city life for a few days.  Milwaukee will always be home for many reasons, but like everything it's all about personal preference

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

just one in the endless amount of internet lists.....

but Madison comes in at #18, right behind the Twin Cities as "Best Place to Live".

opps, is that Chicago at #83?  Narrowly beating out Cleveland, Providence and Scranton on the list.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »

I can drink chicago beer in Madison.  I can watch Chicago sports on TV in Madison.

How much in terms of dollars is it worth to you to have these "advantages" close by?  For the difference in the relative costs of living, you could drive to Chicago a few times a year, stay in one of the nicest hotels, eat at those Michelin-starred restaurants, and grab some great seats to the sporting events, and view the skyline.

Serious question, Boxer.  Other than your time at Marquette, have you lived anywhere besides Chicago?
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
As I am kinda of responsible for this, let me just add my rating of Madison as #1 in the Midwest was for a college basketball coach to live. 

If you're ranking overall, it's a no-brainer that Chicago is #1.  As I said earlier, Chicago is one of the World's Great Cities.

My point was to act like Madison is some cowtown like Starkville, MS is just incredibly misguided.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »

I can drink chicago beer in Madison.  I can watch Chicago sports on TV in Madison.

How much in terms of dollars is it worth to you to have these "advantages" close by?  For the difference in the relative costs of living, you could drive to Chicago a few times a year, stay in one of the nicest hotels, eat at those Michelin-starred restaurants, and grab some great seats to the sporting events, and view the skyline.

Serious question, Boxer.  Other than your time at Marquette, have you lived anywhere besides Chicago?

Swinford, co Mayo, Ireland for 3mo a year till I was 10. Moved out of the actual city to oak park when I was 15. 5 and a half years in Milwaukee for MU (stayed summers and breaks to work) and waiting for my grad school acceptance to move to Galway city next year. That’s a quick run down of my living history and immediate future.
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
More power to you then. Many of the Wisconsin folk I know are too full of Wisconsin pride or Chicago envy, and in a couple cases genuinely scared, to ever visit Chicago.
They are idiots

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

The vast majority of Wisconsinites I know have been to Chicago many times.  And like to visit.  Let's not paint with too broad a brush.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

The vast majority of Wisconsinites I know have been to Chicago many times.  And like to visit.  Let's not paint with too broad a brush.

Isn’t that what everybody’s doing when they’re saying the schools in Chicago suck when they have 7 of the top 10 in the state? Or saying that there’s terrible crime when 75% of that is concentrated in two sections of the city? I mean really this whole conversation is painting with a broad brush based on everybody’s experience in each city.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
Just curious if people would post the list of cities where they have actually LIVED for at least a year, to get a perspective on how much of it is homerism, and how much is based on real-life comparison.

I'll start:

Milwaukee (born and raised)
Chicago
Madison
Nashville
Richmond
Rochester

And FWIW, in each case, I have lived in the city mentioned (not the 'burbs).

Of the cities I've lived, if I were ranking where I'd want to live for the rest of my life, I'd rank them:

1. Rochester
2. Madison
3. Milwaukee
4. Nashville
5. Chicago
6. Richmond

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
Isn’t that what everybody’s doing when they’re saying the schools in Chicago suck when they have 7 of the top 10 in the state? Or saying that there’s terrible crime when 75% of that is concentrated in two sections of the city? I mean really this whole conversation is painting with a broad brush based on everybody’s experience in each city.

OK.  So just because some people engage in hyperbole, that means you should?

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

Why travel to Italy to experience their cuisine when there's an Olive Garden in Pleasant Prairie?

It boils down to how you define quality of life. For some, it's world class culture. For others, it's a stress free commute or three-car garage. To each their own, but there's objectively no comparison between Chicago and Milwaukee or Madison, and that's not a knock on the latter two.

feedback