[Today at 07:19:53 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bulldog bullstuff  (Read 21812 times)

AZWarrior

• All American
Re: Bulldog bullstuff
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
Why didn't Rowsey start, btw?

Was it a disciplinary reason?

Was it a motivational reason?

Other?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
PTM

As I have said for years, if I have dissatisfaction with the program it starts with the admin. I was fine with the Wojo hire and still not anti Wojo. I think the school gives off indication of wanting to be big time and we are far from big time.

I would stick with Wojo and see what happens next year. If he meets admin expectations he stays longer. Would love to see him succeed.

connie

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »

Other?
No explicit statement, but Wojo's unhappiness was clear in statements to Homer and Mac.  Made a statement that you play like you practice in relation to Rowsey's performance.  Left the clear impression with me it was both disciplinary and motivational, as in he wasn't happy with the attitude at practice.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
I can miss the Buzzard and still be glad he's gone.  The world he lived in changed, and while I don't totally agree on the reasoning, it was probably for the best.  I can like Wojo and still be frustrated that he can't seem to teach defense or recruit guys that he can teach defense.  I can agree this team is playing to expectations and still believe that our expectations in year 4 of a coaches' tenure should be higher. I can still be an MU fan and find myself struggling to justify hauling myself downtown for an 8pm Tuesday game against a cupcake, especially when our performance is questionable.

Calm, common-sense post, connie. Roughly captures how I feel.

I do still have MU games highlighted on my calendar and go out of my way to watch each one, preferably with other MU fans. My wife still likes to watch 'em, too. If we lived within 30-45 mins of Milwaukee, we'd have season tickets (pretty tough to do so living in NC).

I am optimistic for the future. Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »

Other?

The official word was the most ready to play were starting. Read between the lines whatever you deem appropriate.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
PTM

As I have said for years, if I have dissatisfaction with the program it starts with the admin. I was fine with the Wojo hire and still not anti Wojo. I think the school gives off indication of wanting to be big time and we are far from big time.

I would stick with Wojo and see what happens next year. If he meets admin expectations he stays longer. Would love to see him succeed.

I respect this, thanks for clarifying.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
PTM

I think this is the most rational outlook thus far. There's reasons for concern but also reasons for hope. Another couple years will crystallize which is the likely long term result of Wojo's tenure.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »

Nope. Not saying Wojo’s the guy but Buzz wasn’t the long term solution. Missing him is irrelevant and a waste of energy. And frankly a little pathetic.

Thanks for the friendly advice. I'll try to be more relevant and less pathetic in the future. I will, however, continue to prefer 14-4 conference records, Big East championships, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s and an interesting character to mediocrity and coach speak - with or without your permission.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
Thanks for the friendly advice. I'll try to be more relevant and less pathetic in the future. I will, however, continue to prefer 14-4 conference records, Big East championships, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s and an interesting questionable character to mediocrity and coach speak - with or without your permission.

FIFY.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
Hear’s a can of worms four ya. I’d take Herro over any of our guards write now. Da 18 year old comes in second place, hey?
Well Big Daddy explained why that never was to be so I rather have Sam and Joey than just one player.
Goal is National Championship

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
I'm really concerned about Matt Heldt.  Someone earlier said he missed six close in hook shots.  He makes half of those MU wins.  I know we lost by more than six, but they would have been chasing us at the end rather than us chasing them and fouling, if Matt shoots 50% on those.  All of those shots that I saw were short or off the front rim.  Usually that's fatigue or a player who isn't confident and is being too careful with his shot.  MU needs for Matt to get his groove back and start sticking his share of shots.

Matt is not a major conference starting center. He does not have a groove to get back. He gets killed by any Top 150 program's center. A few more games and we get to see Harry. Any improvement at the 5 will help this team imensely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
So what exactly is the problem with the current administration with respect to the basketball program?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »
No explicit statement, but Wojo's unhappiness was clear in statements to Homer and Mac.  Made a statement that you play like you practice in relation to Rowsey's performance.  Left the clear impression with me it was both disciplinary and motivational, as in he wasn't happy with the attitude at practice.
Well that blew up in his face.
No Finish Line

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
Joey Hauser is our savior

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
Joey Hauser is our savior

No he isn’t. Don’t be hyperbolic.

Hauser, Frolling, Morrow and Bailey, mixed with who is returning, will make MU more balanced and more formidable next year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the friendly advice. I'll try to be more relevant and less pathetic in the future. I will, however, continue to prefer 14-4 conference records, Big East championships, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s and an interesting character to mediocrity and coach speak - with or without your permission.

+10000 Lenny! Some here are just pleased with mediocrity...it's good enough for them because Buzz is gone.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
I think this is the most rational outlook thus far. There's reasons for concern but also reasons for hope. Another couple years will crystallize which is the likely long term result of Wojo's tenure.

"Another couple of years" ??? Damn.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2017, 05:36:52 AM »
"Another couple of years" ??? Damn.

I think CBB's five years to judge is pretty accurate. It's then that you'll see the coach after he's cleared out the old and has an established roster of his old players. So at this point, the next (literal) couple of years being 18-19 and 19-20.

But to know if a coach will be able to sustain success you probably need to look at 10+ years. Jay Wright didn't have Nova consistently in the top-15 until then. Mack, Cooley, and Willard still aren't there and all began the season with at least twice Wojo's tenure (now years 9, 7, 8 respectively). Our problem is no one has stuck around that long.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2017, 07:11:48 AM »
I think CBB's five years to judge is pretty accurate. It's then that you'll see the coach after he's cleared out the old and has an established roster of his old players. So at this point, the next (literal) couple of years being 18-19 and 19-20.

But to know if a coach will be able to sustain success you probably need to look at 10+ years. Jay Wright didn't have Nova consistently in the top-15 until then. Mack, Cooley, and Willard still aren't there and all began the season with at least twice Wojo's tenure (now years 9, 7, 8 respectively). Our problem is no one has stuck around that long.

Yep, if a coach has success and leaves to go elsewhere, he is a traitor who reinforces our reputation as a stepping-stone school. If a coach doesn't succeed, we don't mind being "disloyal" and dumping his arse.

Note: I am not advocating keeping an ineffective coach. I would have dumped Dukiet and probably Majerus when MU did, and probably would have dumped Deane before MU did. I'm just saying that we fans want it both ways. We want a coach who will be forever "loyal" to us, but we pledge zero loyalty in return. Which makes us pretty much like every other fanbase in the country.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2017, 07:18:17 AM »
MU82

Rick was fired? Sure on that?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »
MU82

Rick was fired? Sure on that?

Nope. I misspoke. Rick left because he knew he needed something else at that time. In some ways, he fired himself so he could learn to love basketball again.

While looking into this after being challenged by you (and thanks for that, Goose, as I like being accurate), I came across this in a 2008 Sports Illustrated piece on Rick:

Of the 80 recruits Majerus signed with the Utes, only 33 survived to play as seniors. Nearly 59% of them transferred or otherwise left early, most unable or unwilling to meet Majerus's exacting standards or endure his mercurial, sometimes crude, even cruel behavior.

People think today's transfer situation is some never-seen-before deal. Majerus was at Utah from 1989-04, and 3 out of every 5 players he signed left with eligibility remaining!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
+10000 Lenny! Some here are just pleased with mediocrity...it's good enough for them because Buzz is gone.

No one here is pleased with mediocrity. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »

Don’t sell that era short lenny here’s what you also get with that

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-marquette-sex-cases-20111028-story.html

http://ballinisahabit.blogspot.com/2011/04/vander-blue-facing-assault-and-battery.html?m=1

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146453905.html

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/mu-assistant-fired-williams-suspended-for-recruiting-violations-kl6k8fi-167402655.html/

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/11/marquette-freshman-juan-anderson-suspended-3-games/

Not to mention the massive amounts of suspensions that were consistently handed out under buzz. Yeah it was great to have our name in the news all the time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
So what exactly is the problem with the current administration with respect to the basketball program?

The current administration supports the program 100%. My sense is the frustration is with the pace of improvement, and that is a coaching issue more than an admin issue. Lovell is giving the program everything it needs/wants. It's up to Wojo and his staff to execute. Imo, the next two years will reveal if Wojo is the guy or not.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
I do not think anyone with a brain thinks the administration is not 100% behind the program and hoping for success. That said, hoping or wanting something does not always equal success. Obviously having a clean program is top priority and is closely followed by making money. They are two for two on those objectives. My rub comes with the inability to sustain success on the court.

Maybe they are happy enough achieving the main objectives and added court success is icing on the cake to them. If the pulse of Scoop is reflective of the casual fan, MU has nothing to worry about in losing the fan base. As has been noted many times, there are 5-7 OLD guys on here that are unrealistic on expectations for the program. The remaining posters on here are disappointed about the now and very excited about the future.

So, my gut tells me that the admin is happy enough at this time. Of course they want more success, but not  the highest priority. Also, many on here believe the new building will give an attendance bump next year, so why worry over fannies in the seats?

I have no idea where the program will be in five minutes, let alone next year, but I do know the current rebuild is not very impressive in regards to on court success.