collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499212 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3400 on: September 20, 2018, 09:27:40 AM »
Happened back in 2015 as well. The 98 win Pirates hosted the 97 win Cubs in the wildcard game. Both the Cubs and the Pirates would have won either the NL East or West easily.

or any other division in the AL

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3401 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

This stuff happens.   But it isn't similar to a 103 win team missing the playoffs.  Is this a chronic problem?  Doesn't seem like it at this point.

Eh it's happened twice in the past four years in the nl. It might be.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3402 on: September 20, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Since most of the NL central team are off today (Cubs with another day off, didn't they just have one, SMH)  I'll throw this hypothetical out there.

If playoffs were expanded, wouldn't that create more incentive for the teams that are good, but not good enough to make the playoffs (D-Backs, Phillies, Mariners, Rays) to join in the sweepstakes for one of the big mid-season trades? 

Then wouldn't the increase in interested teams then increase the amount it would take to get the big mid-season trades?  If more teams were involved, the O's could have gotten an entire AAA team for Machado. 

With larger return wouldn't that then speed up the rebuild times, and make tanking teams contenders quicker? 

So it would help the mid-tier teams, it would help the tanking teams, the only teams it would hurt are the big spending teams, because they would either lose out on trades or have to give more up, plus there would be more rounds in the playoffs for them to get upset.  It would essentially make the rich less rich, and help out the mid and bottom tier teams.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:48:57 AM by Its DJOver »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3403 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
Eh it's happened twice in the past four years in the nl. It might be.

4 years doesn't seem like a great sample size. 

I know it happens, but thise teams have a chance to win their division.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3404 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »
or any other division in the AL

Context?  Wasn't the AL much stronger than thr NL that year?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3405 on: September 20, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
The reason that a game 7 is so compelling is that two teams have battled through 6 evenly to get there.

By that logic, wouldn't a 2-2 Game 5 or a 1-1 Game 3 be more compelling than the WC game?

The WC game is compelling because it's winner take all.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3406 on: September 20, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
Context?  Wasn't the AL much stronger than thr NL that year?
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2015-standings.shtml

Best three records in baseball were Cards, Bucs, and Cubs

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3407 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
By that logic, wouldn't a 2-2 Game 5 or a 1-1 Game 3 be more compelling than the WC game?

The WC game is compelling because it's winner take all.

We're going to agree to disagree.  In my view (admittedly, this is just an opinion), baseball is all about the long term.  Which is weird that I think that because I generally love the NCAA.  I guess all that I am saying is that I don't think a 162 game season for two teams should come down to game 163.  That's 4,374 outs over 6 months being totally determined by the next 27.  For me, that's too big an imbalance.

Look, I feel the exact same way about the way NASCAR has ruined the sport with its ridiculous 'playoff' format.  And I've been a stock car fan my entire life but not really any more. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3408 on: September 20, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2015-standings.shtml

Best three records in baseball were Cards, Bucs, and Cubs

Yeah, and the NL had 6 teams with winning % lower than .460.  AL had 1.

That's a lot of really bad teams. Which can lead to inflated records.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3409 on: September 20, 2018, 11:14:54 AM »
Yeah, and the NL had 6 teams with winning % lower than .460.  AL had 1.

That's a lot of really bad teams. Which can lead to inflated records.

Point still stands that two out the top three teams record wise after 163 games were in a one game playoff.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3410 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
Point still stands that two out the top three teams record wise after 163 games were in a one game playoff.

And each of those teams had 162 games to avoid that situation.

Teams know the deal.  Winning your division matters.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3411 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
And each of those teams had 162 games to avoid that situation.

Teams know the deal.  Winning your division matters.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

We can agree to disagree, but the "teams know the deal" idea is really stupid.

If the MLB had rules in place so that the team with the best record in the NL and AL played in the WS (two teams, one series that's it), everyone would know and understand how it would work, but that doesn't stop it from being a really stupid idea.  Winning your division should mean something, but the disadvantages given to teams that don't is over the top.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3412 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Since most of the NL central team are off today (Cubs with another day off, didn't they just have one, SMH)  I'll throw this hypothetical out there.

If playoffs were expanded, wouldn't that create more incentive for the teams that are good, but not good enough to make the playoffs (D-Backs, Phillies, Mariners, Rays) to join in the sweepstakes for one of the big mid-season trades? 

Then wouldn't the increase in interested teams then increase the amount it would take to get the big mid-season trades?  If more teams were involved, the O's could have gotten an entire AAA team for Machado. 

With larger return wouldn't that then speed up the rebuild times, and make tanking teams contenders quicker? 

So it would help the mid-tier teams, it would help the tanking teams, the only teams it would hurt are the big spending teams, because they would either lose out on trades or have to give more up, plus there would be more rounds in the playoffs for them to get upset.  It would essentially make the rich less rich, and help out the mid and bottom tier teams.

By the way... No probably not.  The DBacks were in first place at the time.  Their actions would have likely been the same.  The Phillies were active( and in first, or a game or so back), made a couple moves, tried to make more (Adam Jones).  The Mariners made moves as well, most of them earlier in the season.  The Rays were not in contention at that time, and making big splashy acquisitions isn't really their style.

The O's would have gotten more for Machado if they traded him sooner.  Their return wasn't for lack of interest, it was due to lack of control.  In today's baseball world, player control often trumps player talent as a guy's main asset. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3413 on: September 20, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
I guess all that I am saying is that I don't think a 162 game season for two teams should come down to game 163.  That's 4,374 outs over 6 months being totally determined by the next 27.  For me, that's too big an imbalance.

If teams play those 162 to an identical record, then I'm all for the one game playoff. But in a situation where one team could be 3+ games better over the course of 162, it seems harsh to have their season potentially end in one game.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3414 on: September 20, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
By the way... No probably not.  The DBacks were in first place at the time.  Their actions would have likely been the same.  The Phillies were active( and in first, or a game or so back), made a couple moves, tried to make more (Adam Jones).  The Mariners made moves as well, most of them earlier in the season.  The Rays were not in contention at that time, and making big splashy acquisitions isn't really their style.

The O's would have gotten more for Machado if they traded him sooner.  Their return wasn't for lack of interest, it was due to lack of control.  In today's baseball world, player control often trumps player talent as a guy's main asset.

You also have to look at lack of selling, not just buying.  Would the Tommy Pham deal had happened (weirdly worked out for the Cards  anyways), would Harper have been available, Daniel Murphy, Matt Adams, sending Archer away?  There were so many deals going both way's by teams that would be in contention with expanded playoffs.  If all of these sellers were buyers, it would have drastically effected the market.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3415 on: September 20, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
If teams play those 162 to an identical record, then I'm all for the one game playoff. But in a situation where one team could be 3+ games better over the course of 162, it seems harsh to have their season potentially end in one game.

Agreed.  Gotta break a tie.  Single game, of course.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3416 on: September 20, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:20:38 PM by buckchuckler »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3417 on: September 20, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
Am I misunderstanding or does this contradict your previous points?
The Nats still would have sold.  They had no chance at a WC.  Even if there were 2 more.  They waited as long as possible anyways.

Thr Pham move isn't weird that it had worked out for both teams.  He is a good player, but the D that Bader provides is huge for the Cards. They were more shaking things up than truly selling.

The Rays were 1 game over at the deadline.  This was probably their last chance to get a haul for Archer (control-performance), perfect storm to trade him.

Maybe the Nats would have bought, but they were a disaster.  I don't think they would have added to much. 
I honestly don't think expanded playoffs would have had to much of an impact on the deadline this season.

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  Teams close to contention both bought and sold.  If the margin for "contention" was wider they would have been buyers instead of sellers.  If they were all buyers, and the only sellers were teams that were tanking the price would have gone up.  Less supply, more demand, price increase.  This is true not just for this season, when you look at specific examples, but in general.  Do you think the price for Cespedes in 2015 would have been more than two pitchers combining to go 4-15 this year with an era close to 5, if there had been a wider contention margin.  I could have seen the Indians, Orioles, Angles, Twins, or Rays attempting to hi-jack that deal.  Any one of those teams gets involved in a bidding war, and the A's take home a bigger return.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3418 on: September 20, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »
Do you think the price for Cespedes in 2015 would have been more than two pitchers combining to go 4-15 this year with an era close to 5, if there had been a wider contention margin.  I could have seen the Indians, Orioles, Angles, Twins, or Rays attempting to hi-jack that deal.  Any one of those teams gets involved in a bidding war, and the A's take home a bigger return.

Michael Fulmer was a very highly thought of prospect.   He continues to be a very promising young pitcher.  Rough year this year, but the talent is there.  That was a good return for 2 months of Cespedes. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3419 on: September 20, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
If there were more playoff teams, there would be more teams thinking that they have a chance to compete, meaning fewer sellers.  I actually think it would decrease the likelihood of trades, and we'd see more August waiver trades (which has actually been the trend lately anyway).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3420 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
Current system works just fine. If they changed it to make it work "better," that would be fine with me, too. I can't get worked up about any of it.

Cardinals are supposedly better than the teams that are gonna win the other divisions, but they just went 3-4 in games against the Dodgers and Braves in games that all 3 teams needed to win.

Again, all the Cardinals had to do beat the Cubs a few more times, and they'd have won the division and it would be Cubbie fans whining.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3421 on: September 20, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
If there were more playoff teams, there would be more teams thinking that they have a chance to compete, meaning fewer sellers.  I actually think it would decrease the likelihood of trades, and we'd see more August waiver trades (which has actually been the trend lately anyway).
I don't like that players who get traded to teams in August can play in the postseason.  It's bad enough the guys traded at the July 31 deadline get to.  The playoffs should be the teams who played together all year.  I hated that the Astros just picked up a guy like Verlander who pitched more innings for them in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.  Just doesn't seem right to me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3422 on: September 20, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
I don't like that players who get traded to teams in August can play in the postseason.  It's bad enough the guys traded at the July 31 deadline get to.  The playoffs should be the teams who played together all year.  I hated that the Astros just picked up a guy like Verlander who pitched more innings for them in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.  Just doesn't seem right to me.

Is there a professional sport that doesn't allowed players traded midseason to go to the playoffs?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3423 on: September 20, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »

Can anything beat this scoop idea

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3424 on: September 20, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
Can anything beat this scoop idea

How about a tag up being the best play in baseball history?