[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 497527 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3450 on: September 21, 2018, 08:02:03 PM »
Nice gaslight.  Braun absolutely cheated and threw a guy under a bus. Russell, if the claim is accurate, needs to find the soap in the shower in Joliet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3451 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »
Braun tried to cover his cheating by trying to ruin an innocent guys life -  if I am remembering correctly.  That is completely boo-able in every way.

The “ruin his life” narrative Cubs fans formed is hilarious. He did not do that, and even if he did he has nobody else to blame but himself.

If this were his main source of income (I believe it was not) then, like Braun, don’t royally screw up the job you have to do or deal with the consequences.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3452 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
The “ruin his life” narrative Cubs fans formed is hilarious. He did not do that, and even if he did he has nobody else to blame but himself.

If this were his main source of income (I believe it was not) then, like Braun, don’t royally screw up the job you have to do or deal with the consequences.

Wasn't he (the collector) widely accused of antisemitism?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3453 on: September 21, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
That is a horrible, sad story.

If true, yes it is.  I recall Dwyane Wade's ex wife making some false claims about Mr. Wade that turned out to be untrue. Had to be settled as a judicial matter which this should be, too.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3454 on: September 21, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »

If true, yes it is.  I recall Dwyane Wade's ex wife making some false claims about Mr. Wade that turned out to be untrue. Had to be settled as a judicial matter which this should be, too.

Jesus. Some things never change for Chicos. But they definitely should.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3455 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »

I recall hearing that Rae Carruth didn't really have the mother of his child killed, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3456 on: September 22, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »

Buck is a Sox fan.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3457 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
A bit surprised only the gloating Sox fans are chiming in here on the closing of the larynx.  While the Cubs-Brewers fans are in total agreement on the crappy MLB playoff system. Scoop surprises every day.

I fear the Cubs limp to the finish won't be enough. Stern's last moves with Gio and Granderson, plus getting healthy at the right time, has the Brew Crew surging. The Cubs only hope is to get stellar starts from their pitchers unlike yesterday.

The odds say the Cubs.  Big Mo says the Brewers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3458 on: September 22, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
A bit surprised only the gloating Sox fans are chiming in here on the closing of the larynx.  While the Cubs-Brewers fans are in total agreement on the crappy MLB playoff system. Scoop surprises every day.

I fear the Cubs limp to the finish won't be enough. Stern's last moves with Gio and Granderson, plus getting healthy at the right time, has the Brew Crew surging. The Cubs only hope is to get stellar starts from their pitchers unlike yesterday.

The odds say the Cubs.  Big Mo says the Brewers.

You know what?  I could see Gio be the guy that 'carries' the Crew from a starting pitching prospective in the postseason.  And the way they put a butt wuppin' on Harvey the other night was fabulous.  Cinci completely overplayed that hand in July August.

Go back and review 2018.  Stearns did a magnificent job on the players he got and just as importantly the players he passed on.  Very few mistakes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3459 on: September 22, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
You know what?  I could see Gio be the guy that 'carries' the Crew from a starting pitching prospective in the postseason.  And the way they put a butt wuppin' on Harvey the other night was fabulous.  Cinci completely overplayed that hand in July August.

Go back and review 2018.  Stearns did a magnificent job on the players he got and just as importantly the players he passed on.  Very few mistakes.

Agree. Pretty flawless moves all year. I do ding him on his past moves, though.  Segura, Scooter and Davis moves by Sterns were bad, although Chase has been solid in return for Segura you could argue.

Interesting days ahead, though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3460 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
Agree. Pretty flawless moves all year. I do ding him on his past moves, though.  Segura, Scooter and Davis moves by Sterns were bad, although Chase has been solid in return for Segura you could argue.

Nothing is perfect.  There was no indication that Davis and Scooter were going to blossom.  And they both had some pretty long leashes in Milwaukee.  I will agree that in retrospect Scooter would have been a better keep than Villar but recall that the decision was made in April 2017, immediately after the Villar's breakout 2016 season.  Most teams don't keep 2 second basemen and Perez was already cementing himself as the 'jack of all trades' super sub.  I suppose they could have kept Villar as the 'JOAT' but they were looking for a permanent position for a guy with many years of team control that looked to be a future cornerstone.  Easy come, easy go.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3461 on: September 22, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Nothing is perfect.  There was no indication that Davis and Scooter were going to blossom.  And they both had some pretty long leashes in Milwaukee.  I will agree that in retrospect Scooter would have been a better keep than Villar but recall that the decision was made in April 2017, immediately after the Villar's breakout 2016 season.  Most teams don't keep 2 second basemen and Perez was already cementing himself as the 'jack of all trades' super sub.  I suppose they could have kept Villar as the 'JOAT' but they were looking for a permanent position for a guy with many years of team control that looked to be a future cornerstone.  Easy come, easy go.

Sterns is definitely the NL Executive of the Year.  Billy may beat him out for the MLB EOY, though. Both made the right chess moves with very limited budgets.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3462 on: September 22, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Now I will add that they still had minor league options on Scooter.  They should have sent him to Colorado Springs and paid his $3.0 million or whatever it was.  But I will admit that at the time I was happy to get rid of the contract.  Cinci was brilliant in making the claim.  Like we were with Agui during that same timeframe.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3463 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
Now I will add that they still had minor league options on Scooter.  They should have sent him to Colorado Springs and paid his $3.0 million or whatever it was.  But I will admit that at the time I was happy to get rid of the contract.  Cinci was brilliant in making the claim.  Like we were with Agui during that same timeframe.

Theo has his share of bad moves too ;)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3464 on: September 22, 2018, 12:18:45 PM »

Agree on Segura and Gennett. Not so much on Davis. The Brewers dont have he option to DH and he is virtually unplayable in the OF.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3465 on: September 22, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Agree on Segura and Gennett. Not so much on Davis. The Brewers dont have he option to DH and he is virtually unplayable in the OF.

Then, the value they got in return for a MVP candidate was lacking. That's the biggest miss of these three, imo. At the time I was shaking my head even. Chemistry issues?  I don't remember any.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6150026-the-brewers-really-blew-it-trading-khris-davis-for-pretty-much-nothing

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3466 on: September 22, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
Then, the value they got in return for a MVP candidate was lacking. That's the biggest miss of these three, imo. At the time I was shaking my head even. Chemistry issues?  I don't remember any.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6150026-the-brewers-really-blew-it-trading-khris-davis-for-pretty-much-nothing

Yeah the value is pretty much nothing unless Nottingham pans out soon. I think he will be a backup level MLB catcher but even then the return wasn't enough.

I just don't mourn that loss like Segura/Scooter because he doesn't have a position on an NL team and even if he did, the Brewers OF is great.

I hated Scooter when he was here but he'd sure look great at 2B

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3467 on: September 22, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
I think we all agree that Stearns is batting like .800.  Nobody is perfect.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3468 on: September 22, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
Scooter was an embarrassment in the field and a subpar hitter to put it kindly. No team would trade for him and it took his home team Reds to claim him on waivers. It's great he's put it together at the plate, but he had no business on a major league roster when the decision was made.

The only "mistake" Stearns made was putting him on waivers outright rather than optioning him to AAA. He can't be perfect.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3469 on: September 22, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
Nobody in the clubhouse shed a tear when Segura left town. He was hated and everyone wanted him gone. Just getting him off the team is a positive.
But I like to throw handfuls...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3470 on: September 22, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
Wasn't it Jean who had a child that passed away while he was playing in Milwaukee and he needed a change of scenery?

Scooter couldn't hit lefties, wasn't good in the field, and the roids had yet to kick in when he was in Milwaukee.

Khrush could throw the ball about as far as I could, and for an MLB outfielder that's a problem.

Yes, with 20/20 hindsight you'd like to have those guys on your team, but when those players were moved there was little to no thought about it/whether they were going to regret letting those guys go.  Davis showed power and Segura had potential that we saw for half a season, but these guys were far from can't miss in Milwaukee.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3471 on: September 22, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
Nobody in the clubhouse shed a tear when Segura left town. He was hated and everyone wanted him gone. Just getting him off the team is a positive.

His kid died, he got hit in the face with a thrown ball, and Braun smashed him in the face swinging his bat coming out of the dugout. Tough year.  I think a change of teams was a win-win. At least they got Chase and $$$.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:42:17 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3472 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Sterns is definitely the NL Executive of the Year.  Billy may beat him out for the MLB EOY, though. Both made the right chess moves with very limited budgets.

Don’t be fooled, the Brewers are swimming in positive cash flow. Their baseball operating budget is only self limited, and for a smaller market club, they are doing exceedingly well in profit.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3473 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »

Stearns has done a great job, but I'll caution against putting too much hope in "good Gio" sticking around for a full playoff run.  The move is already a net positive just with his past couple starts, but Gio has been as inconsistent a pitcher as there is over the past 4-5 years - and "bad Gio" tends to be an unmitigated disaster.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3474 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »
Villar has out hit Schoop since the trade with an OPS about 200 points higher and Villar provides better defense.

Hopefully Schoop has a strong 2019.

feedback