[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498365 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3000 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
Except they do the same thing in Cincy, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, San Diego, etc.

Of course. Chicago is the third largest city in the country and has a lot of transplants. Plus, the Cubs along with the Dodgers, Cardinals, Yankees, and Red Sox have always had one of the most national followings. The bandwagon only got bigger after the World Series win. Naturally, Cubs fans who don't live in Chicago will flood those games the few times that they are in town. Most of those fans don't have ability to go to games at Wrigley. 99% of these fans are not "travelling well", they aren't flying from Chicago to San Diego on the regular to see the Cubs play. The Cubs have more fans everywhere than most teams. The same phenomenon happens with the Yanks, Bo Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals.

What Sultan and Cheebs are correctly pointing out is that most of the Cubs fans who flood Miller park also have the ability to see games at Wrigley because they live within driving distance. Many don't and only attend games at Miller because it is closer, more convenient (which includes cheaper), and nicer than Wrigley.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3001 on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
No doubt WGN is responsible for the Cubs fanbase.  Funny that once they dropped the Cubs, they got good.

I assume Seattle would try to block any attempts to have a team in Vancouver similar to the Orioles trying to block the Nationals. 

I think Montreal still has a fanbase to support baseball.  They just got driven away by the strike and then taking it up the ass from the shady Selig/Loria/Henry moves.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3002 on: September 04, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
In the past week the Cubs beat Syndergaard, deGrom, and Nola and lost to Vargas, Pivetta, and Davies.

Baseball happened.

A little nit-picky here, and probably not your point.  But they didn't beat either Syndergaard or deGrom.  They beat the Mets bullpen in both those games.  Though they did hit Syndergaard around quite a bit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3003 on: September 04, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
And let's face it, a lot of Cubs fans come up to Miller Park because it is closer, more convenient and nicer than Wrigley.

I'm not a Cub fan, but for the vast majority of Cub fans Miller Park is farther away (and it's not really close) and less convenient. And (though I think they're crazy) Cub fans I know think Wrigley is the "nicest" place that baseball is played.

Tickets to Brewers games are cheaper and easier to come by - that's the big draw.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3004 on: September 04, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
I'm not a Cub fan, but for the vast majority of Cub fans Miller Park is farther away (and it's not really close) and less convenient. And (though I think they're crazy) Cub fans I know think Wrigley is the "nicest" place that baseball is played.

Tickets to Brewers games are cheaper and easier to come by - that's the big draw.

Both your statement and Sultan's statement are correct.
TAMU

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3005 on: September 04, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
When Kris Bryant hit his first career homerun at Miller Park in 2015, I was able to get two third row tickets behind the Cubs on-deck circle three days before the game on brewers.com for $90 a piece.

No way I could do that at Wrigley.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:01:34 PM by TallTitan34 »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #3006 on: September 04, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
When Kris Bryant hit his first career homerun at Miller Park in 2015, I was able to get two third row tickets behind the Cubs on-deck circle three days before the game on brewers.com for $90 a piece.

I'm sure you could have paid $90 for a seat at Wrigley to watch Kris Bryant's first career home run.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3007 on: September 04, 2018, 02:19:54 PM »
I'm sure you could have paid $90 for a seat at Wrigley to watch Kris Bryant's first career home run.

Three days before the game on cubs.com for the third row behind on the deck circle?  Not a damn chance.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3008 on: September 04, 2018, 02:20:55 PM »

But 3rd row behind batters box?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #3009 on: September 04, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
Three days before the game on cubs.com for the third row behind on the deck circle?  Not a damn chance.

Since it happened at Miller Park, I'm sure Wrigley was quite empty.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3010 on: September 04, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »

Think he was just trying to be clever, since KB first HR came on the road I would imagine that just about every seat at Wrigley was open.

Edit: nm

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3011 on: September 04, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

Yep. It was more convenient for you to get great tickets at Miller than at Wrigley. Glad we are all in agreement.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3012 on: September 04, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »
To be fair, when I said "convenient," I did not mean ticket price.  I was mostly talking about "ease getting to the stadium."  And to Lenny's point, yeah Wrigley Field is closer to most of its fanbase.  (That's why I said "a lot" of its fanbase.  There are a fair number of Cub fans north of the state line.)  But anyway, it's not as easy to get to with traffic, etc.

And I don't begrudge Cub fans from coming to Miller Park and I don't begrudge Brewer fans for selling their tickets. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3013 on: September 04, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »

For anyone in the West, Northwest or North Shore suburbs (except Evanston or Wilmette), getting to and in/out of Miller Park is easier than getting to Wrigley or about the same. 

Also, if you walk through the MP parking lot, many tailgate parties include both Cubs and Brewers fans/friends. You see Chicago-Milwaukee friends at Summerfest. The Bears-Packers fan overlap among friends and family is very prevalent. The Cubs and Brewers even sponsor a bike ride between Wrigley and MP. 

You cats are discounting the Gurnosha Effect. The Brewers have even actively targeted Cubs fans for season tickets in the past, just like the Bucks are targeting Bulls fans. That was the stupid thing about the Cub restrictions the Brewers tried to employ--Cubs fans have family and friends in SE Wisconsin. Lame

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3014 on: September 04, 2018, 07:22:55 PM »
Of course. Chicago is the third largest city in the country and has a lot of transplants. Plus, the Cubs along with the Dodgers, Cardinals, Yankees, and Red Sox have always had one of the most national followings. The bandwagon only got bigger after the World Series win. Naturally, Cubs fans who don't live in Chicago will flood those games the few times that they are in town. Most of those fans don't have ability to go to games at Wrigley. 99% of these fans are not "travelling well", they aren't flying from Chicago to San Diego on the regular to see the Cubs play. The Cubs have more fans everywhere than most teams. The same phenomenon happens with the Yanks, Bo Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals.

What Sultan and Cheebs are correctly pointing out is that most of the Cubs fans who flood Miller park also have the ability to see games at Wrigley because they live within driving distance. Many don't and only attend games at Miller because it is closer, more convenient (which includes cheaper), and nicer than Wrigley.

My father and I see the cubs play a road series every year, somewhere different. Usually the Sunday night flight back to Chicago is 70% cubs fans doing the same thing as us.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3015 on: September 04, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »
The stadium is pretty empty tonight.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3016 on: September 04, 2018, 08:19:03 PM »
The stadium is pretty empty tonight.

First day of school for 95% of the kids in Wisconsin.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3017 on: September 04, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
First day of school for 95% of the kids in Wisconsin.

After Labor Day, Wisconsin residents move on to football. A large fan base for the Brewers is group sales from the little towns and bars who send bus loads of fans to the games. This dries up after LD.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3018 on: September 04, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
Haha well Joe pretty much conceded this game with Kintzler, DeLaRosa, and Maples.

EDIT: And Duensing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:26:57 PM by TallTitan34 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3019 on: September 04, 2018, 09:39:51 PM »
Nice inning by Knebel, his second solid one since returning.  Getting him squared away would really strengthen the pen for the Crew.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3020 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
Yelich reminds me of Billy Williams.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3021 on: September 04, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
Yelich reminds me of Billy Williams.
Sure hope Yelich has a better post season career.  ;D
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3022 on: September 04, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
I saw a stat today that said if you take out the Cubs games, the Brewers average attendance goes down only like 230 people per game.  Either including or excluding the Cubs games, the Brewers are 10th in attendance.

Also, it feels reaaaaalll nice to run-rule the Cubs.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3023 on: September 04, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
Sure hope Yelich has a better post season career.  ;D

At least Billy had as many post-season hits as Ernie Banks.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3024 on: September 05, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »
Man, that felt good. All wins count the same, but it was nice to see the Cubs unravel.

On another note, is there a rule in baseball dumber than the 40-man roster? September has games of significant consequence, but in any other month, an 11-1 game can be devastating to a bullpen for the next day. Instead, the Cubs can resume business as usual tomorrow.

I'll hang up and listen.

feedback