[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498610 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2850 on: August 24, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »
My only guess is that the Brewers offer must have been so low, that the Reds turned it down just to show that the front office is willing to play hardball for future deals? Makes some degree of sense if the Brewers would only take him as a salary dump but the Reds wanted to pay the $1.5M or so left on his deal in exchange for a fringy prospect.

Perhaps.  But doesn't it also seem that they overvalued him on 7/31 and didn't get any deal done then either?  Now they are guaranteed to get zero because you can't test the waiver wire more than once if I'm correct.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2851 on: August 24, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
An additional weird way to look at it (as I peek at the Cin-ChC box score) is that if Harvey was going to give the Brewers 5 starts by replacing Anderson or Guerra, what is the marginal utility of that upgrade for MKE vs Harvey making projected starts for the Reds vs the Cubs, the Cards and LAD.

Great point.  Here's hoping he's 'all in' positioning himself for a job next year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2852 on: August 24, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »
Bote strikes again! Kris who?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:52:43 PM by Lennys Tap »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2853 on: August 24, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
THE MAN THE MYTH THE LEGEND

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2854 on: August 24, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2855 on: August 24, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
I like Cole.

The Baez 481 foot shot was something to behold in person.
Reminds me of an interesting question for all of us.

As a young child Dad took us to see a Twins vs Tigers game in the old Met (probably 1963). Drizzly rain and no scoring made it tedious until in the bottom of the eighth ....BOOM.....Harmon Killebrew launched a gigantic solo shot....the biggest home run I ever saw in person. Measured back then at 507 feet the ball flew out of the park. 507 was the top of the bleacher fence that it cleared, so...in today's system it might even have been longer. At least 50 years later it remains biggest home run shot I ever saw, in person.

So....all....what was the most monumental homer you witnessed in person?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2856 on: August 24, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »

As a young child Dad took us to see a Twins vs Tigers game in the old Met (probably 1963). Drizzly rain and no scoring made it tedious until in the bottom of the eighth ....BOOM.....Harmon Killebrew launched a gigantic solo shot....the biggest home run I ever saw in person. Measured back then at 507 feet the ball flew out of the park. 507 was the top of the bleacher fence that it cleared, so...in today's system it might even have been longer. At least 50 years later it remains biggest home run shot I ever saw, in person.

I may have seen longer and more impressive, but I was at Game 1 of the 2008 NLDS between the Cubs and Dodgers where Manny took a slow breaking ball almost out of the dirt and golfed it 450 feet to center field.   It was 4-2 in the top of the 7th and it was a back breaker. Also when I was like "yep, he's juicing" cause that was a preposterous pitch to drive that damn far.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2857 on: August 24, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

I was in the left center field bleachers at County Stadium when Cecil Fielder hit one out...of the stadium.

Ah, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTPxdDU2iPo
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:57:28 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2858 on: August 24, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »
As good as Lindor and Ramirez are, the Indians are going nowhere in the post season cause their bullpen is just horrific.  Cody Allen just gave up back to back solo HRs on less than 5 pitches to blow the game in the bottom of 9.  My friends are at their wits end.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2859 on: August 24, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
I was at the Miller Park Home Run Derby when Sammy crushed a number of bombs.  Only mention of a measurement I could find was that "several were over 500 ft".

Cue the 15 straight posts about steroids...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2860 on: August 25, 2018, 12:29:52 AM »
I was at the Miller Park Home Run Derby when Sammy crushed a number of bombs.  Only mention of a measurement I could find was that "several were over 500 ft".

Never tested positive. Guy obviously didn’t do roids.

And forgot how to speak English.

And grabbed his BP bat on accident.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2861 on: August 25, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
Leggo!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2862 on: August 25, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »

Didn't he break the window behind the outfield?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2863 on: August 25, 2018, 08:15:17 AM »
I was in the left center field bleachers at County Stadium when Cecil Fielder hit one out...of the stadium.

Ah, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTPxdDU2iPo

While it was not that long, I was mid-way up the left field bleachers when Gorman Thomas a line drive right at us.  It seemed to take only about a second and a half to get to us, and we could hear it whiz from the ball spin right off the bat.  No one tried to catch it, we all ducked.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2864 on: August 25, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »

While it was not that long, I was mid-way up the left field bleachers when Gorman Thomas a line drive right at us.  It seemed to take only about a second and a half to get to us, and we could hear it whiz from the ball spin right off the bat.  No one tried to catch it, we all ducked.

I was sitting in the upper deck along the left field line in the old County Stadium when Jose Conseco hit a screaming foul ball.  People were scrambling to get out of the way when it hit it, but it ended up hitting the face of the deck with a huge THWACK and falling down below.  One of the hardest hit balls I have seen.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2865 on: August 25, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »
Never tested positive. Guy obviously didn’t do roids.

And forgot how to speak English.

And grabbed his BP bat on accident.

I don’t think you are going to find any Cubs fans who think he was clean to battle you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2866 on: August 25, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
Lore says this was one of the longest.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0vFMwBESelg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0vFMwBESelg</a>

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2867 on: August 25, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »
I don’t think you are going to find any Cubs fans who think he was clean to battle you.

He's had a ton of texts and conversations with Cubs fans who swear Sosa is clean but just has no record of them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2868 on: August 25, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
He's had a ton of texts and conversations with Cubs fans who swear Sosa is clean but just has no record of them.

I have? You’ve read my texts and seen my conversations with people? That’s not creepy at all.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2869 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »
Not a big distance homerun, however, I was at the game when Sosa became the first player to ever hit 60 homeruns in back to back seasons.

Distance wise, I think Schwarber hitting the ball on top of the video board in game 4 of the 2015 NLDS was the longest homerun I’ve ever seen in person.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:40:47 AM by TallTitan34 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2870 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »

My buddy and I went to St. Louis to watch the Brewers in a weekend series.  Corey Hart smashed a line drive to the center field bleachers.  It was probably the closest a HR has ever landed to me, one row up and about six seats over.  The woman sitting where in landed for whatever reason--inebriation, lack of coordination or whatever--never really put her hands up and it drilled her square in the chest.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2871 on: August 26, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Murphy just a professional hitter, dude just raking with the Cubs so far. Great pick up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2872 on: August 26, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
My buddy and I went to St. Louis to watch the Brewers in a weekend series.  Corey Hart smashed a line drive to the center field bleachers.  It was probably the closest a HR has ever landed to me, one row up and about six seats over.  The woman sitting where in landed for whatever reason--inebriation, lack of coordination or whatever--never really put her hands up and it drilled her square in the chest.

Hopefully her jumblies protected her.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2873 on: August 26, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »
I have? You’ve read my texts and seen my conversations with people? That’s not creepy at all.

Quoting you regarding Murphy:

And my apologies.  I didn't keep my text messages and/or record my personal conversations from October of 2015.  I cannot provide hard evidence.  Therefor you are right, Cubs fans were not claiming Daniel Murphy was on steroids when he was mashing homeruns every single game at Wrigley Field.

Not obvious enough for you to make that connection, huh? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2874 on: August 26, 2018, 05:36:44 PM »
Quoting you regarding Murphy:

And my apologies.  I didn't keep my text messages and/or record my personal conversations from October of 2015.  I cannot provide hard evidence.  Therefor you are right, Cubs fans were not claiming Daniel Murphy was on steroids when he was mashing homeruns every single game at Wrigley Field.

Not obvious enough for you to make that connection, huh?

Nope, it was. You want concrete, hard evidence of the Cubs fans I know claiming Murphy was using PEDs in October of 2015. I’m not exactly sure how you keep hard evidence of sports discussions you had 3 years ago, but kind of (or very) weird if you actually do.

Couple questions for you bud. 1) Sammy Sosa DID use PEDs? 2) Cubs fans WEREN’T accusing Daniel Murphy of using PEDs 3 years ago?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:38:53 PM by mannionsworld »