collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499216 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2775 on: August 21, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Good get for the Cubs. He can get hot and carry a team for a week. Excellent insurance for Bryant.

I think Murphy plays 2B, Javy goes to SS, Addison goes to DL. Bote stays at 3B until Bryant is healthy. Zobrist spells Murphy occasionally.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2776 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
As someone who hates the Cubs,  I hate this move.  Murphy instantly becomes their best (not most powerful, dangerous or of course -- exciting) hitter.  He is a completely different style hitter from anything they have and makes them much more dangerous lineup. 

I honestly can't believe he made it through the rest of the NL.

And I had the right team for Harper, they just couldn't get the deal done.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2777 on: August 21, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
Daniel Murphy to Cubs confirmed.

If you can't beat him, make him join you...

I would change the channel if I was watching a Cubs game and he came to bat because I didn't want to see him hit ANOTHER home run.  At least that is what it seemed like.  I hope he doesn't suck against everyone but the Cubs.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2778 on: August 21, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »
I honestly can't believe he made it through the rest of the NL.

I'm surprised the Brewers didn't make a claim just to block the Cubs.  Worst case they get stuck with another middle infielder.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2779 on: August 21, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
Holy crapballs.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2780 on: August 21, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
I'm surprised the Brewers didn't make a claim just to block the Cubs.  Worst case they get stuck with another middle infielder.

Ehh the Brewers are going to waste talent to block the Cubs, who are going to win the division anyways, a middle infielder? Sterns isn't that petty or that stupid.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2781 on: August 21, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
Ehh the Brewers are going to waste talent to block the Cubs, who are going to win the division anyways, a middle infielder? Sterns isn't that petty or that stupid.

Not really, at all.  How would they have been wasting talent? 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2782 on: August 22, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »
Before the rain delay, Kopech struck out Mauer to end the inning. My son Bradley was lucky and is now in possession of that ball that was strike 3.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2783 on: August 22, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »

Worst case for the Brewers, they just eat the remainder of Murphy's contract for the year and get a decent hitter  The Brewers wouldn't have to give up any talent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2784 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Worst case for the Brewers, they just eat the remainder of Murphy's contract for the year and get a decent hitter  The Brewers wouldn't have to give up any talent.

There was a stretch a few years back (I can't remember when exactly) that a few of these guys were claimed just so the opponent didn't get him. That seems very, very rare now.

In this case, TT34, I agree with you for the exact reason you state. If Murphy helps the Cubs the way, say, Edmonds did in 2008, and if the Brewers finish a game behind the Cubs and miss the postseason, they will deserve some scorn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2785 on: August 22, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
There was a stretch a few years back (I can't remember when exactly) that a few of these guys were claimed just so the opponent didn't get him. That seems very, very rare now.

In this case, TT34, I agree with you for the exact reason you state. If Murphy helps the Cubs the way, say, Edmonds did in 2008, and if the Brewers finish a game behind the Cubs and miss the postseason, they will deserve some scorn.

Wasn't that Alex Rios to the Sox? Buck?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:09:36 PM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2786 on: August 22, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Before the rain delay, Kopech struck out Mauer to end the inning. My son Bradley was lucky and is now in possession of that ball that was strike 3.

That's awesome.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2787 on: August 22, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Rios was a $60 million block.  But they got some good years from him.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2788 on: August 22, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »

I think this still happens, just more often than not the team offering the player pulls him back off waivers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2789 on: August 22, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
Between every Cubs fan I've ever known claiming Murphy was on steroids and then getting all mad that a Brewers fan would claim Jake Arrieta was on steroids plus Murphy's comments on Billy Beane's homosexuality following Cubs fans outrage at Hader's Tweets as a teenager, seeing how fast Cubs fans can backpedal is going to be awesome to watch if Murphy plays well for them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2790 on: August 22, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
Between every Cubs fan I've ever known claiming Murphy was on steroids and then getting all mad that a Brewers fan would claim Jake Arrieta was on steroids plus Murphy's comments on Billy Beane's homosexuality following Cubs fans outrage at Hader's Tweets as a teenager, seeing how fast Cubs fans can backpedal is going to be awesome to watch if Murphy plays well for them.

Did every Cubs fan go out of their way to bring it up in any baseball conversation?  And I'm pretty sure there is no backpedaling cause every comment has been along the lines of "hate Murphy for killing the Cubs in 2015, but hope he helps in the post season"

And if you can't find the difference between "i hate gay people" and Murphy's statement, then you're just looking for drama.  I don't agree with him, but Billy Bean has openly complimented him since the statements, but sure, your narrative plays.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2791 on: August 22, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
Did every Cubs fan go out of their way to bring it up in any baseball conversation?  And I'm pretty sure there is no backpedaling cause every comment has been along the lines of "hate Murphy for killing the Cubs in 2015, but hope he helps in the post season"

And if you can't find the difference between "i hate gay people" and Murphy's statement, then you're just looking for drama.  I don't agree with him, but Billy Bean has openly complimented him since the statements, but sure, your narrative plays.

You must've missed Billy Bean's comments on Josh Hader my friend.

First I was accused of TT of not bringing up Arrieta's steroid use since he left the Cubs and joined the Phillies, now I'm accused of going out of my way to bring up Arrieta's steroid use in any baseball conversation.  Both play I guess.

This is my exact point.  It's not cool when a Brewers fan is doing it, but when a Cubs fan is doing it IT'S DIFFERENT DUDE!

Hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:57:33 PM by mannionsworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2792 on: August 22, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
Wasn't that Alex Rios to the Sox? Buck?

Yup.  Sure was.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2793 on: August 22, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
I think this still happens, just more often than not the team offering the player pulls him back off waivers.

Yeah, there really isn't any way of knowing.  I think very few of them ever get reported.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2794 on: August 22, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »

I haven't seen any Cubs fans here or elsewhere excuse Murphy for his comments.

I also don't recall anyone accusing Daniel Murphy of steroids.  Sure Cubs fans didn't like the guy after what he did to them in 2015 but I don't recall anyone accusing him of steroids.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2795 on: August 22, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
You must've missed Billy Bean's comments on Josh Hader my friend.

First I was accused of TT of not bringing up Arrieta's steroid use since he left the Cubs and joined the Phillies, now I'm accused of going out of my way to bring up Arrieta's steroid use in any baseball conversation.  Both play I guess.

This is my exact point.  It's not cool when a Brewers fan is doing it, but when a Cubs fan is doing it IT'S DIFFERENT DUDE!

Hilarious.

I'm not TT, and yes, you brought up Arrieta and roids damn near weekly.  If you claim to have no since he went to Philly, that changes nothing.  Please go back and show all the Cubs fans screaming about Murphy and roids with even a sliver of frequency of your beating of a dead horse.

And like TT just said, nobody is excusing him for anything.  But this constant need to act like Cubs fans are high and mighty when they commented on a league wide story and most everyone agreed that people often root for less than shining individuals as long as they play for their squad.  You and Bias are seemingly the only people with a pathological idea that Cubs fans think they have never done wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2796 on: August 22, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
I'm not TT, and yes, you brought up Arrieta and roids damn near weekly.  If you claim to have no since he went to Philly, that changes nothing.  Please go back and show all the Cubs fans screaming about Murphy and roids with even a sliver of frequency of your beating of a dead horse.

And like TT just said, nobody is excusing him for anything.  But this constant need to act like Cubs fans are high and mighty when they commented on a league wide story and most everyone agreed that people often root for less than shining individuals as long as they play for their squad.  You and Bias are seemingly the only people with a pathological idea that Cubs fans think they have never done wrong.

Think Wrigley boos Murphy in his first plate appearance like they would've if Hader was a Cubbie?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2797 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:27 PM »
Think Wrigley boos Murphy in his first plate appearance like they would've if Hader was a Cubbie?

No.  Nor would any other fan base. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2798 on: August 22, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
No.  Nor would any other fan base.

Agreed.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2799 on: August 22, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »

I’m pretty sure there is a difference between cheering a guy in his first at bat with a new team and cheering a guy in his first appearance since making a fool of himself.

There’s a reason it won’t be a nation wide story when he gets a cheer his first time at Wrigley.

If Hader got traded to the Dodgers, no one would care if he got a standing O in his first appearance in Dodger Stadium.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:43:40 PM by TallTitan34 »