collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498877 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2425 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Freddie Freeman's wife was featured on the show Say Yes to the Dress.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2426 on: July 30, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
You literally said, "Hader's team has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, this incident is part of a larger issue that's not specific to Hader. Kids do stupid things but simply being a kid doesn't make it acceptable to do those things. The kid in tower's story should absolutely be labeled for the rest of his life because he did something incredibly stupid to warrant that label. That's how it works. One awful mistake, whether you're 16 or 60, can have a hugely negative effect on the rest of your life. People need to recognize that."

Now you're saying that Hader's team does have something to do with it, after saying, quite literally, "Hader's team has absolutely nothing to do with it."

So yeah, it does make it more complex when in one post you say one thing, and then in the next you say the complete opposite.  Literally nobody had said a word about "this subject" until I had brought it up.  Nobody immediately came to their defense for being "young and dumb" because the Cubs fans who were so distraught over Hader's 7 year old Tweets weren't screaming bloody murder over every new article that came out about it.  So I have no clue what you're talking about.  But hey, I'm not most people.  And thank God for that.

To no one's surprise, you're struggling to follow along.

Pakuni: "Let's not make more of this that it deserves because he plays for a different team than the one you cheer for."

Pakuni believed that Cubs fans, specifically in a post to me, were making a big deal out of Hader's posts simply because he plays for the Brewers (ignoring the fact that it was a national story, I might add). In actuality, Hader's team affiliation has nothing to do with my belief that his tweets were unacceptable and offensive and should not be shrugged off as him being a young, dumb kid. Just like Turner and Newcomb's teams have nothing to do with my belief that their tweets were unacceptable and offensive and should not be shrugged off as them being a young, dumb kids.

Discussing Hader's tweets on this board is related to his team because this board has a lot of Brewers fans on it. That's where his team does matter. In terms of the feelings regarding these tweets, whether the player plays for the Brewers, Cubs, Marlins, Expos, Pilots or Harlem Globetrotters, they're still awful, unacceptable tweets regardless of the player's age.

As much as you try to force it, this isn't a Cubs fans vs Brewers fan debate.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2427 on: July 30, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »

When you compare what Hader has gone through to date with what the people who were the target of his vitrol have...Hader hasn't gone through anything yet so on it's surface a standing O doesn't make sense. I get the "he's on my team and he's had a tough week plus he did all the right things for 72 hours" viewpoint but it's a moment in time, let's all wait and see what he actually does going forward to help resolve some of this. Like it or not, he has an obligation now to raise awareness/find a way to improve this issue within his community, let's see how he follows through on this. If he spends the next 5 years trying to raise awareness in the community so some other arbitrary metric, we can give him a standing O.

Thanks for this post. As a huge Brewer fan (and ex-Hader fan), he should not be given a pass in any way. The standing 'O' disgusted me.

He owes society for what he said. As you stated, "If he spends the next 5 years trying to raise awareness in the community so some other arbitrary metric, we can give him a standing O." If/when he performs the works to really make amends, I will be willing to forgive his tweets completely.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2428 on: July 30, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
Thanks for this post. As a huge Brewer fan (and ex-Hader fan), he should not be given a pass in any way. The standing 'O' disgusted me.

He owes society for what he said. As you stated, "If he spends the next 5 years trying to raise awareness in the community so some other arbitrary metric, we can give him a standing O." If/when he performs the works to really make amends, I will be willing to forgive his tweets completely.

What does he owe society exactly?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2429 on: July 30, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »

Working to make things better in a space in which he has been detrimental to society. Perhaps "owing" is a poor choice of words, it's more like if he wants to be recognized as not a garbage human being he needs to do more than simply apologize and/or demonstrate that he is "not that person any more".
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: July 30, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
To no one's surprise, you're struggling to follow along.

Pakuni: "Let's not make more of this that it deserves because he plays for a different team than the one you cheer for."

Pakuni believed that Cubs fans, specifically in a post to me, were making a big deal out of Hader's posts simply because he plays for the Brewers (ignoring the fact that it was a national story, I might add). In actuality, Hader's team affiliation has nothing to do with my belief that his tweets were unacceptable and offensive and should not be shrugged off as him being a young, dumb kid. Just like Turner and Newcomb's teams have nothing to do with my belief that their tweets were unacceptable and offensive and should not be shrugged off as them being a young, dumb kids.

Discussing Hader's tweets on this board is related to his team because this board has a lot of Brewers fans on it. That's where his team does matter. In terms of the feelings regarding these tweets, whether the player plays for the Brewers, Cubs, Marlins, Expos, Pilots or Harlem Globetrotters, they're still awful, unacceptable tweets regardless of the player's age.

As much as you try to force it, this isn't a Cubs fans vs Brewers fan debate.

Thank you for proving the point I have been making all along.

If it's a Brewers player Cubs fans will be incredibly outraged and offended, so much so that we'll get second by second updates for a couple days after inappropriate Tweets surface.  If it's a Nationals or Braves player there will be radio silence because nobody here cares about those teams.

To me, if I am going to conclude that a person is a horrible human being who is racist and homophobic 7 years after he Tweeted some incredibly stupid stuff as a high schooler then I'm going to be upset and outraged regardless of what team he plays for and find it worthy of discussion no matter what.

But like you said, I'm not everyone.  So apparently that's just me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: July 30, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
Thank you for proving the point I have been making all along.

If it's a Brewers player Cubs fans will be incredibly outraged and offended, so much so that we'll get second by second updates for a couple days after inappropriate Tweets surface.  If it's a Nationals or Braves player there will be radio silence because nobody here cares about those teams.

To me, if I am going to conclude that a person is a horrible human being who is racist and homophobic 7 years after he Tweeted some incredibly stupid stuff as a high schooler then I'm going to be upset and outraged regardless of what team he plays for and find it worthy of discussion no matter what.

But like you said, I'm not everyone.  So apparently that's just me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

You're either 6-years-old or you just skim through a couple sentences and fill in the rest of people's posts with what you're pretending the words say. I'm thinking it's the latter, but hoping it's the former just so that we can use the "young and dumb" excuse whenever you post something ridiculous.

I actually said that "you're not most people" (you couldn't even get that right!) because most people on here are sane and rational and mature and have reading comprehension skills. None of those things apply to you, particularly when it comes to Chicago sports teams.

I'd attempt to spell things out for you even more clearly but I already tried that and you've already made up your mind on what my posts say (which is vastly different than what they actually say) so, as is usually the case, I'm going to save the board from having to read any more of your illogical garbage and I'll just head off on my way.

Cheers!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2432 on: July 30, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
Since the wadeworld is mad we don't reference teams that no one cares about:

Georgia State women's soccer player Natalia Martinez made a racial slur on her Instagram.  She was suspended and left school over the incident.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2433 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
You're either 6-years-old or you just skim through a couple sentences and fill in the rest of people's posts with what you're pretending the words say. I'm thinking it's the latter, but hoping it's the former just so that we can use the "young and dumb" excuse whenever you post something ridiculous.

I actually said that "you're not most people" (you couldn't even get that right!) because most people on here are sane and rational and mature and have reading comprehension skills. None of those things apply to you, particularly when it comes to Chicago sports teams.

I'd attempt to spell things out for you even more clearly but I already tried that and you've already made up your mind on what my posts say (which is vastly different than what they actually say) so, as is usually the case, I'm going to save the board from having to read any more of your illogical garbage and I'll just head off on my way.

Cheers!

How novel of you. The knight in shining armor that Scoop needs is here to save us! Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: July 30, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
Since the wadeworld is mad we don't reference teams that no one cares about:

Georgia State women's soccer player Natalia Martinez made a racial slur on her Instagram.  She was suspended and left school over the incident.

Cool. Not sure what that has to do with the MLB. But good story.

Maybe we’ll get our second by second updates on Trea Turner now.

Consistency. That’s all I ask.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2435 on: July 30, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »
Cool. Not sure what that has to do with the MLB. But good story.

Maybe we’ll get our second by second updates on Trea Turner now.

Consistency. That’s all I ask.

So why don't you tell us about all the pitchers using PED's in the majors?  Or is Jake Arrieta the only one?  And why did we stop hearing about him when he went to the Phillies?

Consistency.  That's all I ask.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2436 on: July 30, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
Since I don't mention the Braves enough, Brad Brach will wear number 46.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2437 on: July 30, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
The Braves AAA affiliate Gwinnett Stripers had a nice 7-4 over the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railraiders last night.  Luiz Gohara picked up the win.  Rough night for Luis Marte who went 0-4 in the leadoff spot.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2438 on: July 30, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

Thanks for pointing this out, TAMU. What I meant was that if he expects to be treated with respect, then he owes society. If he doesn’t care, then do nothing.

What does he owe? I think he needs to be involved in programs geared toward gays and minorities. He needs to prove his opinions have changed.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:04 PM »
Osuna to the Astros, Giles going back the other way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2440 on: July 30, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: July 30, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »
Working to make things better in a space in which he has been detrimental to society. Perhaps "owing" is a poor choice of words, it's more like if he wants to be recognized as not a garbage human being he needs to do more than simply apologize and/or demonstrate that he is "not that person any more".

Part of the the problem is that the young and dumb don't consider that "insights" shared on social media remain there forever.

Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn't said or done things as an adolescent or young adult that wouldn't prove embarrassing? That don't reflect the person that they are today? I would wager that if every Scooper's life was "on tape" one could paint a pretty ugly picture by selecting what to release.

I didn't even read Hader's, Newcomb's or Turner's tweets but I'm sure they were awful. So are the absolute worst things that most teenagers say. What exactly do people have to do to prove they're not "the garbage human beings" that the worst (and most immature) of their utterings would suggest? Isn't apologizing and showing through your actions that "you're not that person today" sufficient for forgiveness?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2442 on: July 30, 2018, 04:49:54 PM »
So why don't you tell us about all the pitchers using PED's in the majors?  Or is Jake Arrieta the only one?  And why did we stop hearing about him when he went to the Phillies?

Consistency.  That's all I ask.

You could scroll back a couple posts of mine and see me posting about Jake Arrieta’s steroid use.

Valiant effort kid. Try again.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2443 on: July 30, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
You could scroll back a couple posts of mine and see me posting about Jake Arrieta’s steroid use.

You didn't answer my question about why you don't post on other pitchers who use PEDs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
You didn't answer my question about why you don't post on other pitchers who use PEDs.

Remind me again how I don't talk about Jake Arrieta and PEDs now that he's off the Cubbies anymore.

The Brewers just made their move for an infielder. They will not be making another one.

Hernan has very little trade value. He’s a 27 year old utility player. Unless he’s on the Jake Arrieta schedule for steroids he’s never going to be anything more than a utility player.

Agreed. But (again, assuming no Arrieta timeframe on some steroid use) Hernan will never be a stud and no team is going to hold back a trade unless the Brewers include Hernan Perez.

DOH!

I've talked about plenty of non-Brewer PED users.  Plenty of non-baseball PED users.  Heck, Giannis is even on something.

I go over this literally every time someone comes back with a "Yeah but if he wasn't a Cub!"  Yeah...no.  Lol.  I've said Wade, Giannis, called Braun before any test result ever came about, etc.

But sure, you got me TT!  You got me!  Can't find any posts on Arrieta's steroid use since he left the Cubs for the Phillies!

Lol.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2445 on: July 30, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
Ok I’ll give you you’re still on Jake but you just named people that are all relevant to the demographic here.

What non-Chicago and Milwaukee players have you called out?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:24:10 PM by TallTitan34 »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2446 on: July 30, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »
You’re mad we don’t call out Trea Turner and Sean Newcomb because we should care about things outside our region, then you list Braun, Arrieta, Wade, and Giannis as examples of you calling out things outside of our region.

Lololololol. We are laughing.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2447 on: July 30, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
Indians reportedly probing the waters for Bryce Harper. Intriguing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2448 on: July 30, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »
Ok I’ll give you you’re still on Jake but you just named people that are all relevant to the demographic here.

What non-Chicago and Milwaukee players have you called out?

Daniel Murphy a month or so ago.

You’re mad we don’t call out Trea Turner and Sean Newcomb because we should care about things outside our region, then you list Braun, Arrieta, Wade, and Giannis as examples of you calling out things outside of our region.

Lololololol. We are laughing.

Who’s mad? I’m entertained that you literally couldn’t reload Scoop without a Hader update from you and now two players have the exact same situation pop up and all you have to say is “Nobody cares about the Braves and Nationals. Racism is no problem with them!”

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2449 on: July 30, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »
What more is there to say?  Everyone’s thoughts on Hader will be identical to their thoughts on Newcomb and Turner. It’s not a different situation.

If a Cub or Rockie or Dback are found to have similar tweets everyone’s opinions will be the same. We aren’t breaking new ground here.

feedback