collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498923 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2175 on: July 22, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »
Let's face it, a good portion of the crowd was cheering because they thought the PC crowd was overreacting to something he did when he was a kid. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2176 on: July 22, 2018, 09:24:03 AM »
Let's face it, a good portion of the crowd was cheering because they thought the PC crowd was overreacting to something he did when he was a kid.

Good point.  Probably true.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2177 on: July 22, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »

Unfortunately.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2178 on: July 22, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
If a Badger recruit sent the tweets Hader did, this board would be tearing the kid apart.  No one would say he’s just a foolish 17 year old.

No, but if we learned a teenage Josh Gasser made these remarks seven years ago and has since been a solid citizen who's shown no inclination toward those views, I suspect many of us would have the same reaction we're having with Hader's tweets.

jesmu84

• All American

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2180 on: July 22, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
Hader absolutely owned up to his actions and didn't attempt to bullchit the issue or throw anyone under the bus. I thought he handled the entire incident remarkedbly well and feel fans found that refreshing and truthful from today's athlete.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2181 on: July 22, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »

I can only speak for myself and I wasn’t at the game (and wasn’t even watching so didn’t even know about it before coming on Scoop) but I personally am rooting for him more now because from everything that’s been said he’s sincerely sorry for what he did. His stupidity was exposed for the world to see. 99.9% of the world is not put into that situation. Of course he can only blame himself. But as 4never said, he’s done nothing but blame himself. I root for people to better themselves. Some people here don’t think it’s possible to do that. I think it’s very possible and everyone who’s talked about Hader since Tuesday, including some people with zero connection to Hader or the Brewers, have expressed the same thing.

I don’t even think the response has been PC. I think all sides have handled it very appropriately. Many Brewers expressed that there is no excusing what was said but also said that’s not the person they’ve come to know. The Brewers and the MLB decided against suspending him but have required sensitivity training. Hader hasn’t tried to hide from anything and had faced the media even when he’s had the option to skip his media availability and before he could be coached up by a PR person.

He’ll be booed on the road and he should be. But he’s responded as well as you can so far and hopefully he can be an example for kids on a number of issues (obviously the problem with comments like that but also the danger of posting stupid thoughts on social media).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:09:09 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2182 on: July 22, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
The fact that the whole brewer team came to the Hader presser in support opened the door for the fans to give an ovation.  If the players shunned Hader, the fan response would have been different.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2183 on: July 22, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
Hader absolutely owned up to his actions and didn't attempt to bullchit the issue or throw anyone under the bus. I thought he handled the entire incident remarkedbly well and feel fans found that refreshing and truthful from today's athlete.

Did the Brewers' fans give Ryan Braun and standing O upon his exile? No, as he is a lying sack of sheet.  Hader owned up for stupid comments and the fans and his teammates rewarded his redemption.  Internet Justice is trending toward overboard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2184 on: July 22, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
Yeah buttda $8/hr FedEx dude wuz a Cubs fan doe, sew he had a motive, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2185 on: July 22, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Did the Brewers' fans give Ryan Braun and standing O upon his exile? No, as he is a lying sack of sheet.  Hader owned up for stupid comments and the fans and his teammates rewarded his redemption.  Internet Justice is trending toward overboard.

Yup.

Anybody who thinks the response would’ve been any different in any other stadium is kidding themselves.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2186 on: July 22, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
Haudricourt's tweet response... https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1021051233984040960... to this Deadspin article... https://deadspin.com/giving-a-guy-who-was-racist-online-a-standing-ovation-t-1827785357... really pissed me off.

The article is very evenhanded, explains its rationale, and actually gives Brewers fans the benefit of the doubt for a standing ovation that probably wasn't the best look. And yet here comes bumbly old Haudricourt, using the platform of his access-merchant position as the Brewers' beat writer to pick out the one clearly exaggerated line to misrepresent the whole argument. He sucks enough when he's being grumpy to fans and adding no real insight other than the direct quotes from Counsell and Stearns, but when he obtusely covers the biggest social issue of the Brewers season in bad faith, its - at best - horrendous journalism.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2187 on: July 22, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
Yup.

Anybody who thinks the response would’ve been any different in any other stadium is kidding themselves.

Yeah this is accurate.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2188 on: July 22, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
Did the Brewers' fans give Ryan Braun and standing O upon his exile? No, as he is a lying sack of sheet. 

This is literally the opposite of what happened.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2012409-ryan-braun-gets-standing-ovation-in-first-at-bat-after-returning-from-suspension

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2189 on: July 22, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Unfortunately.

It happens.  Is it really that different than at award shows when people are standing for Harvey or Roman for years?  Honestly, that is probably worse as this example is a kid who was a teenager.  Let us hope he learns from it and is a changed person. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2190 on: July 22, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

But they did give him a standing ovation when he first came back. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D1q1eKByCoE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D1q1eKByCoE</a>

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/03/31/ryan-braun-standing-ovation-miller-park-opening-day-biogenesis-suspension/7121503/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/video-ryan-braun-gets-standing-ovation-in-first-at-bat-of-2014/

http://tv5.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10704083/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-gets-standing-ovation-return-65-game-suspension

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/1/5570594/ryan-braun-ovation-brewers-fans

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:08:04 PM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2191 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
I'd like to hear someone compare/contrast Hader and the NFL kneeling. You can throw in Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, etc if you want

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2192 on: July 22, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »

Please speak English, oon'a'a'a?

Yeah buttda $8/hr FedEx dude wuz a Cubs fan doe, sew he had a motive, hey?

Dat's morr betters
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2193 on: July 22, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
No, but if we learned a teenage Josh Gasser made these remarks seven years ago and has since been a solid citizen who's shown no inclination toward those views, I suspect many of us would have the same reaction we're having with Hader's tweets.

Don't forget ... GaSSer was DeKKKer's teammate!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2194 on: July 22, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
I can only speak for myself and I wasn’t at the game (and wasn’t even watching so didn’t even know about it before coming on Scoop) but I personally am rooting for him more now because from everything that’s been said he’s sincerely sorry for what he did. His stupidity was exposed for the world to see. 99.9% of the world is not put into that situation. Of course he can only blame himself. But as 4never said, he’s done nothing but blame himself. I root for people to better themselves. Some people here don’t think it’s possible to do that. I think it’s very possible and everyone who’s talked about Hader since Tuesday, including some people with zero connection to Hader or the Brewers, have expressed the same thing.

I don’t even think the response has been PC. I think all sides have handled it very appropriately. Many Brewers expressed that there is no excusing what was said but also said that’s not the person they’ve come to know. The Brewers and the MLB decided against suspending him but have required sensitivity training. Hader hasn’t tried to hide from anything and had faced the media even when he’s had the option to skip his media availability and before he could be coached up by a PR person.

He’ll be booed on the road and he should be. But he’s responded as well as you can so far and hopefully he can be an example for kids on a number of issues (obviously the problem with comments like that but also the danger of posting stupid thoughts on social media).

He owned up to tweeting things seven years ago.  He didn't save the world.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2195 on: July 22, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »

He owned up to tweeting things seven years ago.  He didn't save the world.

Agreed. That’s kind of the point. It was 7 years ago. He was a high school teenager.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2196 on: July 22, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Agreed. That’s kind of the point. It was 7 years ago. He was a high school teenager.

Right which means giving him a standing ovation was over the top.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2197 on: July 22, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
quit acting like youre holier than everyone else.

we get it. youve never acted immaturely, youve never said anything inappropriate or offensive, you never grew through your teen years because you were a perfect, mature adult out of the womb.

the question is YOU actually graduated from mu? you never learned the value of forgiveness and you didnt change in your 4 year, 80k+ jesuit education? im sorry you (or your parents) wasted so much money. personal growth was a ginormous reason to attend mu and anybody who does should have changed drastically in their 4 years there. im sorry you didnt. open mindedness is important.

stfu and quit acting like you never made inappropriate juvenile stupid remarks and that nobody changes between the ages of 17 and 24. you come off like an incredible douche.

oh, and youre a freaking liar.

No, I actually didn't say anything racist or homophobic at that age. I knew better. If you find that so incredibly hard to believe I feel sorry for you and the type of people you must have spent your time with.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2198 on: July 22, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
Right which means giving him a standing ovation was over the top.

Wasn't the standing ovation related to the kid having to go through this stuff and the apology he gave?  Not over what happened 7 years ago, but what happened this week.
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2199 on: July 22, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
Wasn't the standing ovation related to the kid having to go through this stuff and the apology he gave?  Not over what happened 7 years ago, but what happened this week.

Oh yeah.  He went though so much. 

feedback