collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498915 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #2100 on: July 20, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
From little league through at least high school or maybe college, pitchers are usually among the most athletic kid on a team.  The fact that pitchers don't even try to hit anymore is shameful(hyperbole) and a waste of athleticism.

Poosays, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2101 on: July 20, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
You actually graduated from Marquette?

quit acting like youre holier than everyone else.

we get it. youve never acted immaturely, youve never said anything inappropriate or offensive, you never grew through your teen years because you were a perfect, mature adult out of the womb.

the question is YOU actually graduated from mu? you never learned the value of forgiveness and you didnt change in your 4 year, 80k+ jesuit education? im sorry you (or your parents) wasted so much money. personal growth was a ginormous reason to attend mu and anybody who does should have changed drastically in their 4 years there. im sorry you didnt. open mindedness is important.

stfu and quit acting like you never made inappropriate juvenile stupid remarks and that nobody changes between the ages of 17 and 24. you come off like an incredible douche.

oh, and youre a freaking liar.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:34:07 PM by WithoutBias »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: July 20, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Looks like Hader has some people fooled that you can actually grow and develop between when your'e in high school and when you're a working professional who has been exposed to diversity that he may not have been exposed to before.

Billy Bean, MLB’s first ambassador for inclusion and now a vice president and special assistant to commissioner Rob Manfred, met with Hader for two hours earlier in the day to begin the mandated sensitivity training and talk about participating in diversity initiatives. Bean had never met Hader but came away from that longer-than-planned session convinced that the 24-year-old player is not the same person who posted the vile, repugnant messages seven years earlier.

“I was in D.C. when the news of the twitter situation broke out,” Bean said. “My job is to try to provide resources to players that would prevent a situation like this. It was apparent to me, even before I got here, Josh was really struggling with the reality of the high expectations of playing in the big leagues.

“The more I learned, and watching his reaction immediately after the game, with the greatest moment of his career turning 180 degrees, and probably the most frightening moment of his career, when he reached out to (teammate) Lorenzo Cain and tried to take full responsibility for something that happened a long time ago, before he was a professional baseball player, I had a really strong instinct that I would find what I did find today.

“That’s a young man who is in a tremendous amount of pain. I sympathize for him tremendously. I was really proud of him today, the way he wanted to convey that he let his teammates down. He wants to repair that more than anything. We all have to remember that he’s still basically a rookie. A lot of attention has come his way because he’s done such an amazing job with his career so far.

“He was really looking to me for some guidance, mostly to convey that’s not who he is. The context of those tweets is tough. But those happened a long time ago. Those were before he played one inning of professional baseball. I was really convinced after a couple of hours together today, much longer than we expected, that his experience as an athlete, in an integrated and diverse environment, has created the person he is today.

“I believe, much like our millennial youth, he forgot about whatever that moment was in his adolescence. Today was the beginning of where I feel Josh will be judged fairly as he carries himself moving forward. He has learned a lot in the last 2 ½ days. We can all sympathize with what he’s going through."

After that meeting with Bean, Hader said, "I believe there's a greater path to this that I can give back and help others not do what I did and make the mistakes I've done. We talked about other people and how important it is to respect others.

Asked what he'd like to say to Brewers fans, Hader said, "That this isn't me. I hope that from people I've touched and come across, they know who I truly am. I made mistakes. I'm not perfect. I've grown as a person. Baseball really helped me grow.

"I just have to move on from my mistakes. That's not the person I am."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2103 on: July 20, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
This is true. At my high school the top pitcher was almost always the top hitter. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but it's prettt remarkable how their hitting just drops after hitting college or the pros.

Just because a kid can hit in high school doesn't mean he will or can become a major-league hitter. Hitting and pitching obviously involve two very different skill sets, and it takes a vast amount of talent and work to become professional quality in either, much less both.
It's like believing that a great NHL forward should also be able to play goal, because, you know, he was the best athlete on his high school team and it's all just hockey anyway.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: July 20, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »
A lot of 18 year olds share those kind of thoughts and beliefs specifically because of their parents.

Agreed.   Going through little league and travel baseball parent drama right now and I honestly could get behind the notion that you have to go through classes and get a license before being allowed to bring a kid into the world.   A whole load of immature adults out there.    As to Hader, sorry VBMG, I see a difference between a 17 year old posting ridiculously stupid stuff versus a celebrated director in his 40's and 50's doing it.   Destined to disagree.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2105 on: July 20, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »
Agreed.   Going through little league and travel baseball parent drama right now and I honestly could get behind the notion that you have to go through classes and get a license before being allowed to bring a kid into the world.   A whole load of immature adults out there.    As to Hader, sorry VBMG, I see a difference between a 17 year old posting ridiculously stupid stuff versus a celebrated director in his 40's and 50's doing it.   Destined to disagree.
Imagine if there was a Little League Scoop

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2106 on: July 20, 2018, 08:50:55 PM »
I umpire a lot of baseball at different levels, and just about every level has the DH now.  Some teams don't use it because their pitcher can hit (and I've even seen hs teams use the DH for their second baseman), but mant do.  The NL is basically the only DH holdout out there.  I think one of the two leagues in Japan plays NL rules too.

Some 9U tournaments give the option of using a DH for Christ's sake.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2107 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
Imagine if there was a Little League Scoop

It would be a lot like MU Scoop.  But more MILFs on Little League Scoop, probably (no offence, Chick).

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2108 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:15 PM »

There's some 16" leagues out there where you can use a DH or an extra hitter.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2109 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:58 PM »
There's some 16" leagues out there where you can use a DH or an extra hitter.

If you can't hit the meatball, you shouldn't be playing softball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2110 on: July 20, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
I believe Jimenez will be called up on July 31st, and make his MLB debut against the Royals that night.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2111 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »
If you can't hit the meatball, you shouldn't be playing softball.

More like a designated fielder. There are some dudes who can clear 300 ft but can field worth a lick.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2112 on: July 20, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
Same old prick tease Brew Crew, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: July 20, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
Five walks in 3 innings for Lester? I didn't see it; was he that wild? Just one of those days? He had been so "on" this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2114 on: July 20, 2018, 10:54:49 PM »
Five walks in 3 innings for Lester? I didn't see it; was he that wild? Just one of those days? He had been so "on" this season.

And against the Cardinals no less.

Who haven't hit hardly a lick at all this season.

Guessing it was a bad day for Lester and an especially good one for our heroes.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2115 on: July 20, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »
That is crazy because I'm sure we all can agree that if a kid can't hit by the age of nine, he should probably just quit baseball rather than just delaying the inevitable with the DH rule.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2116 on: July 21, 2018, 03:06:13 AM »
Towards the DH.

Are a lot of scoopers confusing DH being used with extra hitters in younger leagues? I umpire and coach and never see an actual DH, but do see a lot of leagues allowing either 10 or the entire lineup to bat. I don't think I've ever seen a team use a DH to disclude a 13 year old from hitting.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2117 on: July 21, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »

Guessing it was a bad day for Lester and an especially good one for our heroes.

#BFIB

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: July 21, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
Because I do like the double switches and such.  I think it's a purer form of the game.  Personal preference.

Then you must want two-way players in football too. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2119 on: July 21, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
Towards the DH.

Are a lot of scoopers confusing DH being used with extra hitters in younger leagues? I umpire and coach and never see an actual DH, but do see a lot of leagues allowing either 10 or the entire lineup to bat. I don't think I've ever seen a team use a DH to disclude a 13 year old from hitting.

NFHS (the national high school rules) permits the DH and EHs at some levels.  Most travel leagues beyond middle school play AL rules, but they often allow EHs too. 

At those levels pitchers are often the best hitters, so the coach won't use the DH anyway, but I have seen it done.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: July 21, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »

Nope.  Different sport, different rules.  No different than the fact that football players can exit/return but baseball players can't.  Look, this is a whole 'I like the color blue better than red' argument.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there's no correct answer.  Doesn't need to be.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2121 on: July 21, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »

I don't. For me its an all or nothing thing. Football everyone is a one way player. In baseball, I like everyone being a two way player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2122 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Joey Votto pop ups by year:
2010 - 0
2011 - 1
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 0
2017 - 1
2018 - 0

Since 2010, Votto has popped it up 7 times. With the same amount of PA, the MLB average player would have popped it up 127 times.

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1020172530840203264

That is crazy.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: July 21, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
What about if he was 19?

(See where we're going with this?)

What if he was 23, and the best player in the world?

https://twitter.com/MikeTrout/status/109150770775076864

Or maybe people use words in a jockular / joking way that some get and some don't.  Communities do this and it used to be no big deal. 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2124 on: July 21, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Sounds like the Dodgers.  I'm guessing warriordad is piiiiisssssed.

Wait, no, nevermind.  He's a Cubs fan.

As long as it wasn't the Brewers. 

49ers fans admitting Tom Brady is the best QB ever means they can't be 49ers fans because Montana used to hold the title, right?
— Plato

feedback