[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498488 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1925 on: July 17, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »
so which is it? the brewers should trade top prospects (segura) for difference makers when in contention (greinke) or they should be hurt when those prospects are performing down the road?

thanks but im not going to get all riled up over a teenager tweeting music lyrics and movie quotes and calling him a racist for it 7 years after that.

for someone who would be “very disappointed” if his favorite athletes used peds and probably still believes sammy sosa when he non-deny denies steroid use and thinks he accidentally grabbed the wrong bat once, i actually would buy that you never quoted any inappropriate movie lines as a teenager so i guess you are not a “complete idiot.”

Of course Sosa used PEDs - really strong effort, though.

Really - you're going the "movie lines" route?  Which movies were "I hate gay people" and "white power" from?  These seems a little different than some isolated tweets in poor taste but maybe it's just me.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1926 on: July 17, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
@JeffPassan
Josh Hader: “I was young, immature and stupid.”

@BNightengale
Brewers reliever Josh Hader said his racist and homophobic tweets were a sign of immaturity when he was 17 and plans to apologize to his teammates, saying they don’t reflect on him as a person now. ‘No excuses. I was dumb and stupid.

I’ll give him credit. He’s owning it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:23:02 PM by TallTitan34 »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1927 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »
Of course Sosa used PEDs - really strong effort, though.

How about Addison Russell?

Honestly, I don’t even know what came from that case, but it clearly wasn’t that serious since he was never suspended or arrested.  But I’d be shocked if you didn’t defend or at least rationalize what he did when that story broke (as I’ve done with Braun).  Pot.  Kettle.  We’re all guilty of it.

Athletes do stupid stuff in their personal lives.  Especially young ones.  Does that mean they should be totally forgiven?  Probably not.  But fans could do each other the dignity of not associating each other’s actions with those of players on their teams. 

For what it’s worth, I saw a tweet earlier in the night that called Josh Hader the nicest guy on the All Star team.  People change.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1928 on: July 17, 2018, 11:37:05 PM »
I think you are a little confused.  They got Segura for  Greinke.  They traded him for away for Aaron Hill and Chase Anderson (so in that way it wasn't a total waste).  But in very few cases is Aaron Hill a difference maker, in even fewer is he comparable to Manny Machado.

And I would just think, that if it were me, and my team had a complete void in the middle infield, and my organization had 2 guys that play those positions in the All Star game, I would regret it.  Like White Sox fans being happy about the performances of Basabe and Cease in the Futures Game, but just gritting their teeth through Fernando Tatis Jr.

In addition to Anderson and Hill, Isan Diaz was part of the Segura trade.  Diaz was eventually traded in the Christian Yelich deal.  Plus, I feel Segura needed the change of scenery to thrive.  Remember, Segura was a Brewer when his 9 month old son died.  That kind of emotional trauma is very difficult to deal with and going to a new team in a new city may have helped Segura become the player he is today.  There is no guarantee Segura is the same level of player had he remained a Brewer.

Gennett, on the other hand, is a bit suspicious.  The guy hit 35 HR in 456 games as a Brewer and has hit 43 HR in just 233 games with the Reds.  His Brewers slash line was .279/.318/.420 and with the Reds he's slashing .308/.356/.527.  Makes ya wonder.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1929 on: July 17, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »
I have no problem admitting athletes on teams I cheer for can be bad people.

Sosa used PEDs and corked his bat.
Russell cheated on his wife.
Mark Grace is an alcoholic.
Michael Jordan has a gambling problem.
Aroldis Chapman likely choked his wife/gf.
Bobby Hull beat his wife.
Walter Payton cheated on his wife.
Patrick Sharp cheated on his wife.
Patrick Kane... God knows what he’s done.
Milton Bradley I don’t even know where to start.

Not sure why Sosa using PEDs excuses Hader’s comments.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: July 17, 2018, 11:42:29 PM »
How about Addison Russell?

Honestly, I don’t even know what came from that case, but it clearly wasn’t that serious since he was never suspended or arrested.  But I’d be shocked if you didn’t defend or at least rationalize what he did when that story broke (as I’ve done with Braun).  Pot.  Kettle.  We’re all guilty of it.

Athletes do stupid stuff in their personal lives.  Especially young ones.  Does that mean they should be totally forgiven?  Probably not.  But fans could do each other the dignity of not associating each other’s actions with those of players on their teams. 

For what it’s worth, I saw a tweet earlier in the night that called Josh Hader the nicest guy on the All Star team.  People change.

What specifically about Russell?

Who associated a fan's actions with Haders?  Not sure where you're getting that from.

And let's stop with the age excuse.  18 is more than old enough to know better.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1931 on: July 17, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
@BillShaikin
MLB chief legal officer Dan Halem says Josh Hader will talk tonight. League will consider statement tomorrow.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1932 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
Looks like Hader’s wife also has some similar views in her old tweets.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1933 on: July 18, 2018, 05:27:48 AM »
I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet racist stuff. The youth excuse is dumb.

Really Brewer fans should expect more than that.

This season doesn’t seem like it’s going to end well.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1934 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:46 AM »
Looks like Hader’s wife also has some similar views in her old tweets.

relevant.

I know plenty of 17 year olds. Most don’t tweet racist stuff. The youth excuse is dumb.

Really Brewer fans should expect more than that.

This season doesn’t seem like it’s going to end well.

you follow 17 year olds on twitter? and/or scroll back 7+ years to see what 24 year olds were tweeting when they were 17?

teenagers do stupid stuff. heck adults do stupid stuff. nobodys saying its acceptable. its not. but it also has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of person he is 7 year later.

if this was 7 months ago? uh oh. 7 freaking years? whoever scrolled back 7 years to find anything they could that would make professional athletes look bad needs to find a new hobby.

i don’t think this affects the rest of the brewers season one bit.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1935 on: July 18, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
One of the tweets is from 2016.  How old was he then?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1936 on: July 18, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »
relevant.

you follow 17 year olds on twitter? and/or scroll back 7+ years to see what 24 year olds were tweeting when they were 17?

teenagers do stupid stuff. heck adults do stupid stuff. nobodys saying its acceptable. its not. but it also has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of person he is 7 year later.

if this was 7 months ago? uh oh. 7 freaking years? whoever scrolled back 7 years to find anything they could that would make professional athletes look bad needs to find a new hobby.

i don’t think this affects the rest of the brewers season one bit.

Many teenagers do stupid stuff. Many don’t post multiple racist and homophobic tweets.

And you think that what someone is like at 17 has no bearing what they are now like at 24?  I highly dispute that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:48:25 AM by #bansultan »

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1937 on: July 18, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »

Many teenagers do stupid stuff. Many don’t post multiple racist and homophobic tweets.

And you think that what someone is like at 17 has no bearing what they are now like at 24?  I highly dispute that.

so you do follow 17 year olds on twitter then. weird.

fair enough. i find people change quite a bit from their teen years to their mid twenties. but i’ve never followed a teenager on twitter so you’d have the better gage on that.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1938 on: July 18, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
Why can’t you accept Hader just might be a bad guy?  There’s lot of them in sports. Not just in Chicago and Milwaukee.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1939 on: July 18, 2018, 07:17:59 AM »

The one that was photoshopped?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1940 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »

Was it?  Unsure since he deleted all of his tweets.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1941 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »
People say stupid things all the time, especially when they're 17.  Putting it in print for the world to see, however, is not too bright, even at 17.

I tend not to worry about stuff like that, as I mostly care about what the guys on the team I root for do while in uniform.  Their personal life does not interest me much at all.

As for last night, I hadn't seen Hader pitch before and was looking forward to seeing him.  Too bad he didn't have his best stuff, though he could've escaped unscathed had Votto handled that pop-up. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: July 18, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »
so you do follow 17 year olds on twitter then. weird.

I didn't say that.  Don't be dishonest and deflect cause your point sucks.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1943 on: July 18, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
Why can’t you accept Hader just might be a bad guy?  There’s lot of them in sports. Not just in Chicago and Milwaukee.

he might be the worst human in the world. im just not ready to say that a 24 year old who tweeted inappropriate things 7 years ago is a terrible person. if everyone who has said something racist when they were a teenager is a racist then we have a very select few people who are not racists in this world, and im honored to share a forum with such a high percentage of those people. i wouldnt consider myself a racist or bad person, but im also not too big to admit i said some racist and inappropriate things when i was a teenager. thankfully twitter and snapchat werent around to document everything when i was 17 and couldnt be dug up 7 year later. apparently very few here did and are better people than me.

mustve missed that one. link?

lol.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1944 on: July 18, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »

I didn't say that.  Don't be dishonest and deflect cause your point sucks.

so you dont follow 17 year olds on twitter? but you know what 17 year olds arent tweeting without following them on twitter.

adds up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1945 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »

Exactly.  And the key word is "might."  Has he grown and matured since he was 17?  Who knows.  Maybe he's just more wise about covering that stuff up.

But I tend to think that the values one has at 17 are largely the ones you have in place at 24.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1946 on: July 18, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
so you dont follow 17 year olds on twitter? but you know what 17 year olds arent tweeting without following them on twitter.

Huh?  Is your point that bad and/or your reading comprehension that poor?  Go back and read what I wrote.  Quote it in your next response.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #1947 on: July 18, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
That teams aren't scrubbing for this now is surprising.  Do you really want to keep playing the whole "young and stupid" and downplaying the relevance of ancient digital footprints when all it takes is an intern to pull and review history?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1948 on: July 18, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »

Huh?  Is your point that bad and/or your reading comprehension that poor?  Go back and read what I wrote.  Quote it in your next response.

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1949 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »

adds up.