collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499082 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1850 on: July 16, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
These are the most hilarious kinds of "stats."

It's bad enough when they are semi-round numbers: So-and-so is the first player with 325 HR, 2,400 RBI and 250 SB since such-and-such.

But 19-71-18? Really?

And the effort to declare Baez the best slider and tagger of all-time ... that's great stuff. Reminds me of after the Cubbies got Maddux in 2004, fans weren't satisfied saying the Cubbies had the best pitching staff in the majors; they also claimed the starting five gave them the best hitting pitching staff in the majors. One thing that came true is that they were the best choking pitching staff in the majors the last week of the season. Maddux, in particular, spit the bit.

Baez is a nice player, the Cubs are fortunate to have him and most teams wish they had him. The rest of it is silliness.

Anybody can play with stats and make a case for or against just about anybody.

There is a lot of baseball left to be played but as of today Baez is a top 5 NL MVP candidate. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1851 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »
I’ll save Cubs fans the time:

You’re biased and don’t understand baseball.

Nobody in the history of the world is as good at what they do as Javy Baez is at playing baseball.

Best tagger, best slider, and is at 19-71-18.

Case closed. Can’t argue it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
There is a lot of baseball left to be played but as of today Baez is a top 5 NL MVP candidate.

I'll join that club. Baez is on pace for a 30/30 year while hitting .290+ and is grading out as a plus defender while playing multiple infield positions. He's also fun as hell to watch. Anyone who says he's not having one of the best seasons in baseball is just being contrarian. Trout, Mookie, and the criminally under-discussed Nolan Arenado aside, he's right there this season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: July 16, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
Pham is 30 years old and Molina is 36 and a catcher in a non-DH league.  If the Cards want to build around them the rest of the division will gladly encourage them.

Depends on the term of your rebuild. If you're doing a White Sox style burn the house down and rebuild, then you are absolutely right. But, if you're looking at a Cardinal rebuild, which better be done sooner rather than later, Molina and Pham have a place.

Biggest thing is getting back to the Cardinal Way. We need that badly.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
Depends on the term of your rebuild. If you're doing a White Sox style burn the house down and rebuild, then you are absolutely right. But, if you're looking at a Cardinal rebuild, which better be done sooner rather than later, Molina and Pham have a place.

What is the "Cardinal Way"?

Ultimately you need better players and a culture overhaul. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »

Yeah ever since you haven't been able to steal data from the Astros you've really fallen quickly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: July 16, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
I'll join that club. Baez is on pace for a 30/30 year while hitting .290+ and is grading out as a plus defender while playing multiple infield positions. He's also fun as hell to watch. Anyone who says he's not having one of the best seasons in baseball is just being contrarian. Trout, Mookie, and the criminally under-discussed Nolan Arenado aside, he's right there this season.

Most of the great offensive seasons are in the AL this season.  Who else is in the conversation in the NL?  Freeman, Goldschmidt, Aguilar (assuming defense isn't held against him)....

I have trouble with Arenado considering Colorado isn't that good and he has a 1.140 OPS at home vs .820 on the road. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: July 16, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
Speaking of criminally under-discussed, I give you Jose Ramirez.
.302/.401/.628. Second only to Trout in WAR. Tied for MLB lead in home runs. Fourth in RBI. Plus defender.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: July 16, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
Speaking of criminally under-discussed, I give you Jose Ramirez.
.302/.401/.628. Second only to Trout in WAR. Tied for MLB lead in home runs. Fourth in RBI. Plus defender.

Yeah, he has been insanely good.  Him and Lindor are something else. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1859 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
Was thinking the same thing.

Yadi might be a coach or manager in the not-all-that-distant future.

Bring back the old school player/manager.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
Was thinking the same thing.

Yadi might be a coach or manager in the not-all-that-distant future.

What parts of a fielder's uniform can he have sticky substances on to have the ball stick to since fielders don't have a chest protector like a catcher does?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: July 16, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
What parts of a fielder's uniform can he have sticky substances on to have the ball stick to since fielders don't have a chest protector like a catcher does?

jock?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: July 16, 2018, 03:54:00 PM »

I have trouble with Arenado considering Colorado isn't that good and he has a 1.140 OPS at home vs .820 on the road.

You've stated this position before, and many others clearly share it,  I am curious where you cut it off?  Should Machado be considered (if he stays in the AL)?  Camden has actually been a similar hitters park to Coors.  There isn't much difference between Coors and Arizona, should Goldy not get consideration?  Brandon Crawford is having a great year, does he get bonus points for playing in SF?

Arenado has an OPS+ (adjusted for park factor) of 145.  Still pretty elite.  He also plays many of his away games in SF, LA, and San Diego.  All noted pitchers parks.  So it would only make sense that his away OPS would suffer.  Now clearly Coors gives hitters an edge, and it is certainly a valid argument, but I don't think it should get him dismissed out of hand.  Is there any season a Rockie could have that would merit him and MVP?  Arenado has had some great seasons and never gotten closer than 4th.  Todd Helton never got closer than 5th, Larry Walker won one with a season with an OPS over 1100, is that what it will take?  Though Helton had several seasons over 1000 and a couple over 1100.

I know it is real and it makes a difference, and it should with MVP voting, I guess I am just curious to what degree.  Honestly I don't know the answer.

As for the other part, Colorado is only 2 games out of a WC spot right now as well, so saying they aren't good is a bit of an exaggeration.  It isn't like he is like Eugenio Suarez, who may personally merit some consideration, but his team is far too terrible.

By the way, it appears as if a Machado deal is getting pretty close.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:10:54 PM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
You've stated this position before, and many others clearly share it,  I am curious where you cut it off?  Should Machado be considered (if he stays in the AL)?  Camden has actually been a similar hitters park to Coors.  There isn't much difference between Coors and Arizona, should Goldy not get consideration?  Brandon Crawford is having a great year, does he get bonus points for playing in SF?

Arenado has an OPS+ (adjusted for park factor) of 145.  Still pretty elite.  He also plays many of his away games in SF, LA, and San Diego.  All noted pitchers parks.  So it would only make sense that his away OPS would suffer.  Now clearly Coors gives hitters an edge, and it is certainly a valid argument, but I don't think it should get him dismissed out of hand.  Is there any season a Rockie could have that would merit him and MVP?  Arenado has had some great seasons and never gotten closer than 4th.  Todd Helton never got closer than 5th, Larry Walker won one with a season with an OPS over 1100, is that what it will take?  Though Helton had several seasons over 1000 and a couple over 1100.

I know it is real and it makes a difference, and it should with MVP voting, I guess I am just curious to what degree.  Honestly I don't know the answer.

As for the other part, Colorado is only 2 games out of a WC spot right now as well, so saying they aren't good is a bit of an exaggeration.  It isn't like he is like Eugenio Suarez, who may personally merit some consideration, but his team is far too terrible.

By the way, it appears as if a Machado deal is getting pretty close.

All good points and I should have looked at OPS+/wRC+ in regards to Arenado.  I also didn't realize that Colorado had won 5 in a row.  So yes, Arenado should firmly be in the conversation.   

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »
phew! going into today i thought we might have had to hear about the greatest power hitter to ever play the game, javy baez.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1865 on: July 16, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »
Bill Nye the Science Guy is tearing it...umm...up.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
All good points and I should have looked at OPS+/wRC+ in regards to Arenado.  I also didn't realize that Colorado had won 5 in a row.  So yes, Arenado should firmly be in the conversation.   

Also, Arenado is the best defensive 3rd baseman in the game as long as Machado is playing SS. Is it easier to catch and throw the ball in colorado?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: July 16, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
Not the Angels.

The other correct answers would be Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, White Sox, Rangers, Mariners and 20+ other teams.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: July 16, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »
Shoot. You got me. Chico’s isn’t this technology illiterate. Can’t be Chico’s!  ::)

My daughter, also not named chico's, helped me out.  She asked a great question, how will they know this isn't a bat pulled off the internet?  Therefore I laid my Wrigley bat next to a few Marquette tees. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: July 17, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
Also, Arenado is the best defensive 3rd baseman in the game as long as Machado is playing SS. Is it easier to catch and throw the ball in colorado?

Really?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1870 on: July 17, 2018, 05:56:59 AM »
My daughter, also not named chico's, helped me out.  She asked a great question, how will they know this isn't a bat pulled off the internet?  Therefore I laid my Wrigley bat next to a few Marquette tees. 

Remember when not chicos did the same thing with his ballot for none of the above.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: July 17, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
As far as last night, this Derby format is lame.  The head-to-head bracket and timer are dumb.  Weird field with only one AL player.  Bring back the three rounds with highest overall totals advancing and 10 outs.  Baseball has no clock.

I suppose Harper's headband was cool, but I doubt every kid on the playground is going to emulate it like the 90's kids flipped the cap around to emulate the Kid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: July 17, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
As far as last night, this Derby format is lame.  The head-to-head bracket and timer are dumb.  Weird field with only one AL player.  Bring back the three rounds with highest overall totals advancing and 10 outs.  Baseball has no clock.

I suppose Harper's headband was cool, but I doubt every kid on the playground is going to emulate it like the 90's kids flipped the cap around to emulate the Kid.

That's cause kids don't watch baseball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: July 17, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »

I love baseball, but I find the HR derby beyond boring and haven't watched since 1999, I think.  It is batting practice where guys try to hit HRs.  Why am I watching that?  Does it still take 3 hours or so?  I know most of the big HR guys do not participate any more.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
The last round was cool.