collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498904 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1750 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
This Juan Soto kid aint bad for a 19 year old I guess.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
Brewers oughta trade four Derek Dietrich, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
Luis Ortiz pulled from his start 49 pitches in...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Luis Ortiz pulled from his start 49 pitches in...

I wouldn't read too much into that. In his previous 2 appearances (1 in relief, 1 start), he's thrown 51 and 54 pitches. He hasn't pitched more than 4 innings since mid-April.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Jed Hoyer on the Score:

"We're going to be talking to a lot of teams about pitching and pitching depth ahead of the deadline."

"There's nothing I want more than to have (Darvish) out there pitching well, but at the same time we have to go forward thinking about our  depth...about having enough pitching. Yu coming back would be fantastic but injuries can linger & we need to be aware of that."

On bullpen depth: "We got away with it in '16 riding (Aroldis) Chapman hard. We probably didn't have the necessary depth in the bullpen ... The game is played different in the playoffs."

The Cubs have reportedly been scouting LHP JA Happ, LHP Robbie Erlin (in SD system when Hoyer was there) and LHP Matt Moore (played for Maddon/Hickey in TB). Not exactly a who's who of star pitchers but it does say something about the team's confidence in lefties Duensing and Wilson.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into that. In his previous 2 appearances (1 in relief, 1 start), he's thrown 51 and 54 pitches. He hasn't pitched more than 4 innings since mid-April.

Agreed. Had he been a late scratch, then it would look like something is imminent.  This is inline with his normal workload.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »

Agreed. Had he been a late scratch, then it would look like something is imminent.  This is inline with his normal workload.

Got it, didn't realize that.  Thanks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1757 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
The Cubs have reportedly been scouting LHP JA Happ, LHP Robbie Erlin (in SD system when Hoyer was there) and LHP Matt Moore (played for Maddon/Hickey in TB). Not exactly a who's who of star pitchers but it does say something about the team's confidence in lefties Duensing and Wilson.

I have zero confidence in Wilson, though he threw a nice inning last night.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1758 on: July 11, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

Is that the same Matt Moore who may be the only pitcher in the league who could possibly walk more hitters than Chatwood? ;D

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1759 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
I think the Orioles will get a pretty solid return for Manny.  He is in pretty high demand, with a lot of teams with good farm systems in on the bidding.  Detroit seemingly just made a bad teade with JD, possibly because of lack of demand, but I think someone will pony up for Manny.  And if I am the Brewers, putting him in the lineup in a position where they have had minimal production could make a big difference.  I like Saladino and all, but he aint Manny.

Baltimore screwed up by keeping him this long. Price goes down every day.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1760 on: July 11, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
@JimBowdenGM

Hearing that #Brewers have discussed package that would send:

1. Corbin Burnes RHP
2. Keon Broxton CF
3. Orlando Arcia SS

to #Orioles for Manny Machado.

Not confirmed.

As a Cubs fan, I want the Brewers to do this.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1761 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

That would be a terrible trade for the Brewers.

BTW, I thought Machado had already fallen in love with the Cubs.  https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-cubs-addison-russell-manny-machado-theo-epstein-baltimore-orioles/

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
Heyman just followed up (sorry for just typing rather than copy/paste quoting): "don't like to shoot down every rumor out there (partly because I don't like my own rumors shot down!). but rest easy milwaukeeans, brewers are not sending a package of burnes, broxton and arcia for machado. not all 3. no way."

1. Good.
2. Bowden is probably the least knowledgeable baseball insider in the business, so Imma trust Heyman here.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Heyman just followed up (sorry for just typing rather than copy/paste quoting): "don't like to shoot down every rumor out there (partly because I don't like my own rumors shot down!). but rest easy milwaukeeans, brewers are not sending a package of burnes, broxton and arcia for machado. not all 3. no way."

1. Good.
2. Bowden is probably the least knowledgeable baseball insider in the business, so Imma trust Heyman here.

That being said, if teams are willing to part with real players for packages built around Keon Broxton, by all means.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
I wouldn't blink an eye sending Broxton or Arcia.  Burnes in a deal for a 3 month rental wouldn't be great.  If you flopped Ortiz for Burnes in that deal I'd be just fine with it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

If Stearns hadn't waived Scooter, the Brewers could be using these assets to grab pitching help.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: July 11, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
If Stearns hadn't waived Scooter, the Brewers could be using these assets to grab pitching help.

Maybe, maybe not.  If you keep Scooter on the Brewers there's no guarantee he produces as he is for the Reds.  He just wasn't very good with the Brewers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: July 11, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.  If you keep Scooter on the Brewers there's no guarantee he produces as he is for the Reds.  He just wasn't very good with the Brewers.

He is a career .289 hitter waived for no return.  As good as Stearns has been, this move was a stinker. 

Btw, I think Counsel deserves more credit than Stearns for the Brewers' success. He may be the best manager in baseball this year.  He manages his roster magnificently and is particularly good with his pitching moves.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #1768 on: July 11, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
What about Dozier? Read that the Brewers asked the Twins about him. Getting a 2017 version of Dozier would suffice instead of Machado. The 2018 version would still be an upgrade over what we've got. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1769 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
Bowden is probably the least knowledgeable baseball insider in the business, so Imma trust Heyman here.

This.

He comes up with lots of trades that make absolutely no sense for either team and never happen.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: July 11, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
*Not Confirmed*

I love that part.  You can tweet anything you want and just say it's not confirmed.  That is the age we live in.

Brewers package for Manny Machado:

1. Robin Yount
2. Rollie Fingers
3. Paul Molitor

Not Confirmed

chapman

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: July 11, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
He is a career .289 hitter waived for no return.  As good as Stearns has been, this move was a stinker. 

Btw, I think Counsel deserves more credit than Stearns for the Brewers' success. He may be the best manager in baseball this year.  He manages his roster magnificently and is particularly good with his pitching moves.

Derek Johnson deserves a ton of credit.  The pitching has far outperformed the perceived level of talent since he got to Milwaukee. 

Not as high on Coles.  Have my doubts between all the shutouts and what seems an unusual number of cases of players falling off the face of the earth after a career year at an age when they should be getting better (Villar, Santana, Arcia).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »

1. Good.

He does a weekly radio show with the cousin on the Orioles gm though.  Who knows, maybe it was the orioles ask, or maybe he made it up.

I didn't know much about Burnes, so I looked him up, and I know he had been great leading up to this season, but he has basically been BP in AAA, and while  I know the PCL is terrible for pitching, it seems weird that a guy with a 5.15 ERA in AAA is untouchable for a guy that could help the Brewers win their first World Series.

Admittedly I didn't read any scouting reports or anything and maybe it is easily explained.  He certainly had been dominant up until this year, but you'd think that is at least some cause for concern.

Ok after quickly looking at a scouting report, it seems like his best attribute has been great control, and he is walking 3.5 per 9 this season in AAA, something mechanical maybe?  More advanced hitters not stretching the zone as much?  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:24:19 PM by buckchuckler »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
Agui earned it baby.  ;D  True MVP candidate at the break.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: July 11, 2018, 09:41:19 PM »
He does a weekly radio show with the cousin on the Orioles gm though.  Who knows, maybe it was the orioles ask, or maybe he made it up.

I didn't know much about Burnes, so I looked him up, and I know he had been great leading up to this season, but he has basically been BP in AAA, and while  I know the PCL is terrible for pitching, it seems weird that a guy with a 5.15 ERA in AAA is untouchable for a guy that could help the Brewers win their first World Series.

Admittedly I didn't read any scouting reports or anything and maybe it is easily explained.  He certainly had been dominant up until this year, but you'd think that is at least some cause for concern.

Ok after quickly looking at a scouting report, it seems like his best attribute has been great control, and he is walking 3.5 per 9 this season in AAA, something mechanical maybe?  More advanced hitters not stretching the zone as much?  Anyone know?

What I’ve read is it is due to Colorado Springs and most of his bad outings were at home. One of the reasons the Brewers will be getting out of there. My guess with the walks is he’s trying to avoid contact and that results in more walks.