collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499208 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1600 on: July 01, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
I never said the Reds were a title contender. I said they are playing decent baseball at a .500 clip.

Yes. They are playing decent baseball. At the moment.

They’re also a garbage baseball team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1601 on: July 01, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
I’m done. You are just doing a bit now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: July 01, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Cool. Sadly for the Reds they’re right there with those 5 teams in the standings.

These burns sting.

You let your hatred of Chicago and the Cubs lead you to saying a bunch of inanely stupid sh*t but you do you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: July 01, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
I’m done. You are just doing a bit now.

The sad part is he's not. It's a perfect representation, actually.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: July 01, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »
You let your hatred of Chicago and the Cubs lead you to saying a bunch of inanely stupid sh*t but you do you.

Who in the world is talking about Chicago or the Cubs? Lol!

I do love Chicago people though. Somehow they think a discussion about the Cincinnati Reds has to do with...Chicago?

Yeah, everything is always about you.

:o

FIBs at their finest.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1605 on: July 01, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
I don’t think you’d be having this argument if a Brewer fan said, “hey the Reds are decent.”

But moving on, what do you guys want your team to get at the trade deadline?

I’d like the Cubs to get a starter and some bullpen help. I have little interest in renting Machado no matter how streaky the offense is.  (Addy actually had a higher WAR than Machado right now but that’s because of defense.)

There’s talk the Mets are now considering moving Thor and deGrom. If you could get one of those guys for two of Addy, Schwarber, Happ, and Almora along with some minor league prospects (or what the Cubs have anyway) I’d definitely consider it. I’m not sure if even that would be enough.

Personally I’d prefer to keep Schwarber and Almora and be more willing to give up Addy and Happ.

What do you guys want your team do get?  Who are you willing to give up? 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: July 01, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »
I don’t think you’d be having this argument if a Brewer fan said, “hey the Reds are decent.”

But moving on, what do you guys want your team to get at the trade deadline?

I’d like the Cubs to get a starter and some bullpen help. I have little interest in renting Machado no matter how streaky the offense is.  (Addy actually had a higher WAR than Machado right now but that’s because of defense.)

There’s talk the Mets are now considering moving Thor and deGrom. If you could get one of those guys for two of Addy, Schwarber, Happ, and Almora along with some minor league prospects (or what the Cubs have anyway) I’d definitely consider it. I’m not sure if even that would be enough.

Personally I’d prefer to keep Schwarber and Almora and be more willing to give up Addy and Happ.

What do you guys want your team do get?  Who are you willing to give up?

The Cubs should stand pat and maybe acquire a reliever. No reason to trade any of the guys you mentioned.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
This thread is, uhhhh.....weird.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: July 01, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
Who in the world is talking about Chicago or the Cubs? Lol!

I do love Chicago people though. Somehow they think a discussion about the Cincinnati Reds has to do with...Chicago?

Yeah, everything is always about you.

:o

FIBs at their finest.

And point made.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: July 01, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
And point made.

The only point that was made was that you somehow thought the Chicago Cubs were being discussed.  Incompetence at its finest.

Yeah...no.  I don't care what team someone roots for or where someone is from.  You can live under the same roof as me and if you say "I think this baseball team that is on pace to lose 93 games over half way into the season is decent" I'm going to say you're 100% wrong.

So no, despite FIBs trying to make everything about themselves, it has nothing to do with Chicago or the Cubs.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: July 01, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »

Not sure any of those guys could headline a trade for either Mets ace.

They would demand a return similar to what the Sox got for Sale.   Which started at 2 top 20 prospects.  Guys that have burned most of their cheap years of control wouldn't make sense.   If the Mets trade those guys they are going full rebuild and would likely want young top end talent.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: July 01, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
Not sure any of those guys could headline a trade for either Mets ace.

They would demand a return similar to what the Sox got for Sale.   Which started at 2 top 20 prospects.  Guys that have burned most of their cheap years of control wouldn't make sense.   If the Mets trade those guys they are going full rebuild and would likely want young top end talent.

Those guys he mentioned have about 4 years of control each, give or take, and have proven to be productive major leaguers already.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: July 01, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »
The only point that was made was that you somehow thought the Chicago Cubs were being discussed.  Incompetence at its finest.

Yeah...no.  I don't care what team someone roots for or where someone is from.  You can live under the same roof as me and if you say "I think this baseball team that is on pace to lose 93 games over half way into the season is decent" I'm going to say you're 100% wrong.

So no, despite FIBs trying to make everything about themselves, it has nothing to do with Chicago or the Cubs.

"Cute that the 3 amigos come flying out at once."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
Those guys he mentioned have about 4 years of control each, give or take, and have proven to be productive major leaguers already.

And if the Mets trade deGrom and Syndergaard, would their window to compete be back open where 4 years of control makes sense?  I wouldn't think so.  Maybe, but it seems doubtful.  I also doubt the very cost conscious Mets would want guys on the brink of arbitration. 

They wouldn't be trying to reload on the fly if they trade those guys, only a complete teardown would make sense in that case. 

Oh yeah, and deGrom is under control until 2021 and Syndergaard until 2022.  So swapping out elite assets for competent ones with the same amount of control doesn't make sense. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:41:29 PM by buckchuckler »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1614 on: July 01, 2018, 10:44:42 PM »
The Cubs should stand pat and maybe acquire a reliever. No reason to trade any of the guys you mentioned.

I’d be ok standing pat but with those guys available I’d really have to consider making a trade. I agree it’s a lot to give up (and I’m not even sure it’s enough to land one of those guys) but I’d hate to waste a year of Rizzo, Bryant, etc. in their prime window.

Lester has been awesome but his peripheral stats are worrisome. His BABIP is pretty low (although part of that is the great defense behind him) and his xFIP is around 4.50. Kyle Hendricks hasn’t been himself. Quintana has struggled. Chatwood can’t find the zone. Montgomery has had a couple rough outings after a dominate stretch.

Maybe the returns of Yu and Drew Smyly are the answer.  There’s still time for Q and Hendricks to get right as well. I’d just like to have a solid three to take into the playoffs.  Hopefully if they stand pat, Lester, Hendricks, and Yu can be those guys.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1615 on: July 01, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »
And if the Mets trade deGrom and Syndergaard, would their window to compete be back open where 4 years of control makes sense?  I wouldn't think so.  Maybe, but it seems doubtful.  I also doubt the very cost conscious Mets would want guys on the brink of arbitration. 

They wouldn't be trying to reload on the fly if they trade those guys, only a complete teardown would make sense in that case. 

Oh yeah, and deGrom is under control until 2021 and Syndergaard until 2022.  So swapping out elite assets for competent ones with the same amount of control doesn't make sense.

These are good points.  They likely would want to go with the younger prospects instead of major league ready talent.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: July 01, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
These are good points.  They likely would want to go with the younger prospects instead of major league ready talent.

For the first time in a long time, the Cubs have what is probably a below average farm system ( I don't believe they have a single top 100 level guy).  It could be more difficult for them to swing a big move than some of the other contenders.  Teams like the Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Yankees still have top tier farm systems.  If the Cubs are going to make a big move, it may have to be moving a guy like Happ.

There could be a ton of great talent moving around this trade season.  The NL is really tight in each division.  A GM may end up being the difference maker.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: July 02, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »

Fair points except I've read they don't want to do a complete tear down.

Russell and Schwarber are under contract until through 2021.  Almora through 2022 and Happ through 2023.  They play a lot but none play every day right now.

Sorry but Noah's not elite if he can't stay on the field.

fWar through half the season.

Almora - 2.1
Russell - 2.1
Schwarber - 2.3
Happ - 1.2

DeGrom - 3.9 (previous high 5.2)
Thor - 1.9

DeGrom is a stud. Thor is a complete crapshoot. One great year in 2016. 7 starts last year. Only 11 this year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: July 02, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »
I’d be ok standing pat but with those guys available I’d really have to consider making a trade. I agree it’s a lot to give up (and I’m not even sure it’s enough to land one of those guys) but I’d hate to waste a year of Rizzo, Bryant, etc. in their prime window.

Lester has been awesome but his peripheral stats are worrisome. His BABIP is pretty low (although part of that is the great defense behind him) and his xFIP is around 4.50. Kyle Hendricks hasn’t been himself. Quintana has struggled. Chatwood can’t find the zone. Montgomery has had a couple rough outings after a dominate stretch.

Maybe the returns of Yu and Drew Smyly are the answer.  There’s still time for Q and Hendricks to get right as well. I’d just like to have a solid three to take into the playoffs.  Hopefully if they stand pat, Lester, Hendricks, and Yu can be those guys.

I don't disagree. I trust Lester to outperform his peripherals.  I trust Hendricks to eventually be Hendricks. Same with Q. Yu is obviously a huge question. 

We don't have enough to trade for DeGrom. I'm not sure what else out there could make sense. This is where the inability to develop starting pitching so far is an issue.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: July 02, 2018, 12:57:16 AM »
Fair points except I've read they don't want to do a complete tear down.

Russell and Schwarber are under contract until through 2021.  Almora through 2022 and Happ through 2023.  They play a lot but none play every day right now.

Sorry but Noah's not elite if he can't stay on the field.

fWar through half the season.

Almora - 2.1
Russell - 2.1
Schwarber - 2.3
Happ - 1.2

DeGrom - 3.9 (previous high 5.2)
Thor - 1.9

DeGrom is a stud. Thor is a complete crapshoot. One great year in 2016. 7 starts last year. Only 11 this year.
Isn't trading their aces and best players and best assets a complete teardown almost by definition?

And well, I have to disagree on Syndergaard.   I don't think you'd find a single non cub fan that would make any case for those 4 guys being even in the same class of player.  Yeah, he's been hurt, but it isn't like you have to look hard to find warts on the 4 aforementioned cubs. 
His ceiling, when healthy, is as good as any pitcher in baseball.  You can't just find guys like that.  As far as pure stuff, there may not be anyone in baseball that matches Syndergaard.  He could singlehandedly win a wild card game.  That offers more than a couple of almost everyday players.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: July 02, 2018, 10:09:22 AM »
For the Brewers, I would have trouble rooting for them to go get an ace with the inconsistency of that lineup rn. Maybe see if you can get Asdrubal Cabrera on the cheap or check in on the Marlins asking price for Realmuto (though catchers' bats seem to have more variability than other positions, so its doubtful there's a deal to be made there). Look into Devon Travis. And relievers. Always more relievers.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1621 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
For the Brewers, I would have trouble rooting for them to go get an ace with the inconsistency of that lineup rn. Maybe see if you can get Asdrubal Cabrera on the cheap or check in on the Marlins asking price for Realmuto (though catchers' bats seem to have more variability than other positions, so its doubtful there's a deal to be made there). Look into Devon Travis. And relievers. Always more relievers.

Jeter seems to have no problem giving discounts on assets. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1622 on: July 02, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1013801673708462082

According to a source, the Blue Jays have been extensively scouting the Brewers' system. J.A. Happ could be on Milwaukee's radar, as the Brewers need a starter and the lefty is one of the top arms expected to be traded this month.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1623 on: July 02, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
Woah, Cardinal President John Mozeliak going hard on Dexter Fowler:

“It’s been a frustrating year for everybody involved. Here’s a guy who wants to go out and play well. I think he would tell you it’s hard to do that when you’re not playing on a consistent basis. But I’ve also had a lot of people come up to me and question his effort and his energy level. You know, those are things that I can’t defend. What I can defend is trying to create opportunities for him, but not if it’s at the expense of someone who’s out there hustling and playing hard. And really I think everyone just needs to take a hard look in the mirror, and decide what they want that next chapter to look like. And in Dexter’s case, maybe taking a brief time out, trying to reassess himself, and then give him a chance for a strong second half is probably what’s best for everybody. I’m hopeful to touch base with him in the near future and decide what makes the most sense, but clearly he’s not playing at the level we had hoped.”

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: July 02, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Isn't trading their aces and best players and best assets a complete teardown almost by definition?

And well, I have to disagree on Syndergaard.   I don't think you'd find a single non cub fan that would make any case for those 4 guys being even in the same class of player.  Yeah, he's been hurt, but it isn't like you have to look hard to find warts on the 4 aforementioned cubs. 
His ceiling, when healthy, is as good as any pitcher in baseball.  You can't just find guys like that.  As far as pure stuff, there may not be anyone in baseball that matches Syndergaard.  He could singlehandedly win a wild card game.  That offers more than a couple of almost everyday players.

Yes, Syndergaard's ceiling is sky high but if he can't be depended to be on the mound every 5th day that's a big deal. He has not been dependable the last seasons and a half having made only 18 starts. The Mets are a perfect example of the volatility of SP.

The only reason the 4 Cubs in the discussion aren't everyday players is due to the team's depth.