[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498322 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1550 on: June 26, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
I think Maddon's gimmicks are long past their expiration date. He was great for a young, unproven Cubs team but the mad-scientist approach doesn't exactly lend itself to a lineup that should be pretty much set in stone.

If we're being honest, I think this offseason Theo offers Maddon a nice cushy front office job, like head of player development or something like that and hires a new manager. At least, that's what I hope.

Sorry but I think this is absurd.  The set line-up theory is garbage and Hoyer as said as much.  Maddon's teams have also been dominant in the 2nd half of each season since he has been here.  Granted, that doesn't mean that will happen this year but the guy knows how to manage a roster and keep guys fresh. 

Like any manager Maddon has his faults but some of the criticism this season is laughable. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:52:34 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1551 on: June 26, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
Sorry but I think this is absurd.  The set line-up theory is garbage and Hoyer as said as much.  Maddon's teams have also been dominant in 2nd half of each season since he has been here.  Granted, that doesn't mean that will happen this year but the guy knows how to manage a roster and keep guys fresh. 

Like any manager Maddon has his fault but some of the criticism this season is laughable.

+10000

Maddon needs to underachieve before he has passed any "expiration date."  The '15 Cubs were a year ahead of schedule, the '16 team accomplished more than any previous team, and the '17 squad had no right to beat the Nationals and make it to a third straight NLCS.

It's easy to pick on a manager when a team is slumping.  Baseball is a 6-month season, and needs a particular perspective.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: June 26, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
People are really calling for Maddons head because he's in second place in June after 3 straight nlcs's and a world series? K.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: June 26, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
People are really calling for Maddons head because he's in second place in June after 3 straight nlcs's and a world series? K.

Yep.  It's a sh*tshow on Twitter and certain message boards but I guess those mediums do lend themselves to that kind of over-the-top insanity. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »
This is what Jed Hoyer had to say about lineup construction in The Athletic and he referred to the angst over it as his biggest pet peeve:

"I’ve said this a few times in the media. One of the first things I learned from Bill James when I was working with him in Boston, he would always say, you know, don’t obsess about the lineup. It’s the biggest waste of your time. All you want to do is hit your best hitters the most often. If you do that, don’t worry about it. Any other changes, we’re talking about fractions of runs over the course of a season. So for an individual game, it’s just not going to have enough of an impact. Fractions of runs and people obsess. It’s a sports radio lightning rod, both a consistent lineup and the batting order. I just think people spend too much time thinking about something that doesn’t have a significant impact on winning and losing."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1555 on: June 26, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
Yep.  It's a sh*tshow on Twitter and certain message boards but I guess those mediums do lend themselves to that kind of over-the-top insanity. 

Exhibit A:  Scoop during college basketball season

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: June 26, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
An abundance of reasons.  Bad teams, lousy weather in April in the upper Midwest.  I attended a game during the first week of April.  38 degrees.   Spitting rain and ice pellets.  1500 fans there, tops. 

I know the argument you are trying to make.  It translates better when you use NASCAR.

Awww ... way to ruin my fun!

(And yes, I agree with your last line.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1557 on: June 26, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »
It's the Royals....but that Peralta kid can pitch.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »

They're studying the record books.  He breaking some from the entire 'live ball' era in baseball history.  And last night his curve was working.  Hitters didn't have a chance.

One more thing.  I simply love his dad.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1559 on: June 27, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
I'm hoping the Cubs can pick up some games leading up to the break.  Yesterday, the Brewers started a stretch of 21 games in 20 days until the All Star break.  The Cubs are wrapping up a stretch of 17 games in 17 days and have three off days between now and the break.   Neither team plays a particularly difficult schedule going into the break but after that Reds series, oppenent strength doesn't mean much.

Unfortunately, this means the Brewers will have 3 or four extra days off down the stretch.  Hopefully the September callups can help with that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »

It was a rare bright spot in what's been a painful month for the Royals, who are 4-19 since June 1 and have lost 12 of their last 14 games -- six by four or more runs.

"We're all frustrated," Yost said. "I've never seen anything like it. I've never been a part of a month like this. An offensive drought like we've had all month long is pretty puzzling. There's no answer for it."

Yosted
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
I'm hoping the Cubs can pick up some games leading up to the break.  Yesterday, the Brewers started a stretch of 21 games in 20 days until the All Star break.  The Cubs are wrapping up a stretch of 17 games in 17 days and have three off days between now and the break.   Neither team plays a particularly difficult schedule going into the break but after that Reds series, oppenent strength doesn't mean much.

Unfortunately, this means the Brewers will have 3 or four extra days off down the stretch.  Hopefully the September callups can help with that.

The Brewers are dealing with this by cleverly having a continuous rotation of players getting injured, ensuring they get plenty of off days throughout the season.  Pure genius.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1562 on: June 27, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
The Brewers are dealing with this by cleverly having a continuous rotation of players getting injured, ensuring they get plenty of off days throughout the season.  Pure genius.

Injuries have definitely helped this team.

Thames goes down - we get Aguilar in the lineup every day.
Miley goes down - we get Suter.
Davies goes down - we get Peralta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »

Yosted

Still trying to figure out what he promised to Mr. Applegate to be a WS-winning manager.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
Well, Chris Bosio is available (again)

The Detroit Tigers announced on Wednesday that the team has fired pitching coach Chris Bosio.
The team released the following statement:
“Effective immediately, the Detroit Tigers have terminated the contract of pitching coach Chris Bosio for his insensitive comments that violated Club policy and his Uniform Employee Contract. The organization holds all of our personnel to the highest standards of personal conduct both on and off the field. We have zero tolerance for this type of behavior. The Club will have no further comment on this matter.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/06/27/detroit-tigers-fire-pitching-coach-chris-bosio/739555002/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
An abundance of reasons.  Bad teams, lousy weather in April in the upper Midwest.  I attended a game during the first week of April.  38 degrees.   Spitting rain and ice pellets.  1500 fans there, tops. 

I know the argument you are trying to make.  It translates better when you use NASCAR.

Lousy weather in May also.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: June 27, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
Well, Chris Bosio is available (again)

The Detroit Tigers announced on Wednesday that the team has fired pitching coach Chris Bosio.
The team released the following statement:
“Effective immediately, the Detroit Tigers have terminated the contract of pitching coach Chris Bosio for his insensitive comments that violated Club policy and his Uniform Employee Contract. The organization holds all of our personnel to the highest standards of personal conduct both on and off the field. We have zero tolerance for this type of behavior. The Club will have no further comment on this matter.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/06/27/detroit-tigers-fire-pitching-coach-chris-bosio/739555002/

I don't know what was said to or about whom.    And I really don't care.    They took a stand.    A shame, because I thought he was doing a decent job with a bad pitching staff.     

However, I can't help but think about this scene and smile....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAXHXJ2WgrQ
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: June 28, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
Apparently the Reds owner is plotting to move to Las Vegas and as such put a bunch of no names on the field to drive down attendance. The team just found out and realized even if they do well they will be replaced next year.

So the only thing left to do is win the whole ****ing thing. The brewers should have their hands full on a team that's 9-1 in the last 10 games.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:44:03 PM by #UnleashLaxBros »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
Watching the College World Series, I’ll happily take a crummy Sox season to get Adley Rutschman in the top 3 in next year’s draft. That is a face of the franchise dude.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
The Brewers will not be swept by the Redlegs.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1570 on: June 29, 2018, 12:09:41 AM »
Apparently the Reds owner is plotting to move to Las Vegas and as such put a bunch of no names on the field to drive down attendance. The team just found out and realized even if they do well they will be replaced next year.

So the only thing left to do is win the whole ****ing thing. The brewers should have their hands full on a team that's 9-1 in the last 10 games.

To be fair, 4 of those losses where to the Chubbys.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: June 29, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
Another awesome base running play by the Brewers.

Unrelated, but maybe the Brewers will get healthy at some point this year. That would be cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »

Unrelated, but maybe the Brewers will get healthy at some point this year. That would be cool.

That was mostly bad D but it worked out.

Guess Broxton wants to stay.  Helluva night.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1573 on: June 30, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »

The NL Central has been hit hard with injuries. Luckily for the Cubs Morrow just returned and Bryant, Edwards, and Darvish should hopefully be back sooner rather than later.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
That was mostly bad D but it worked out.

Guess Broxton wants to stay.  Helluva night.

Broxton is showing why he might have some trade value left.  If we can swing a deal that includes Broxton instead of a lower prospect with more potential (say...Corey Ray), I will be very happy, especially since the OF spots on the big league club are blocked for the time being (Braun, Cain, and Yelich are all under contract for multiple years).

feedback