[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 491023 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1525 on: June 23, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
What would be honestly good for baseball would be two knockdown, dragout playoff series this year: Yanks/Sox, Crew/Cubs.  Unfortunately as it stands now, each would be Division Series, not pennant.

If I could wave a magic wand, what I think would be the best series for baseball would be and Angels/Nationals World Series.  I know this is very unlikely as the Angels are in a bit of a hole, and don't have much pitching (again, if I had the magic wand, I would send Machado and Britton there -- though deGrom would probably be the best fit, but the Angels probably don't have the prospects to get either of those done).

Having Trout matchup with Harper in the WS would be really cool to watch.  Really a shame Otani went down, I think he brought the hopes of the Angels with him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: June 23, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
I think the best Championship Series for baseball would be Red Sox/Yankees but could sub Astros in for either and Dodgers/Nationals (if both squads are healthy) but could sub Cubs.

Milwaukee doesn’t do a ton for baseball. I don’t think many people have strong feelings for them either way or would get really into a CS with them in it.

The best teams to have making it the furthest in the Playoffs are teams (and teams with players) that you either love or hate. Brewers don’t have players that are easy to hate besides Braun and aren’t a big national presence team.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:29:15 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: June 23, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
What would be honestly good for baseball would be two knockdown, dragout playoff series this year: Yanks/Sox, Crew/Cubs.  Unfortunately as it stands now, each would be Division Series, not pennant.
Just stirring the pot, the Brewers are good but the Chubbies are still probably the favorite in the Central. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where any NL team could win a WS against whoever emerges from the Yanks, Red Sox or Astro’s.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: June 23, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »
Just stirring the pot, the Brewers are good but the Chubbies are still probably the favorite in the Central. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where any NL team could win a WS against whoever emerges from the Yanks, Red Sox or Astro’s.

Not hard for me to imagine at all. A few pitchers on the NL team pitch lights out, a couple hitters on the NL team get red hot, a few hitters on the AL team struggle, the ace of the AL team gets lit up ... and I could imagine the NL team winning, perhaps even easily. Baseball is a funny game, and a best-of-7 series is ... dare I say? ... a you-know-what-shoot.

I mean, I "can't imagine" Kershaw having a career 4.35 postseason ERA ... but he does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »
Not hard for me to imagine at all. A few pitchers on the NL team pitch lights out, a couple hitters on the NL team get red hot, a few hitters on the AL team struggle, the ace of the AL team gets lit up ... and I could imagine the NL team winning, perhaps even easily. Baseball is a funny game, and a best-of-7 series is ... dare I say? ... a you-know-what-shoot.

I mean, I "can't imagine" Kershaw having a career 4.35 postseason ERA ... but he does.

Yep. All it takes is getting hot at the right time.

Glad to see my Cubs playing so well against Cincy this weekend.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1530 on: June 24, 2018, 07:10:11 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1531 on: June 24, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
Well I think we’ve had our memorable crap series of 2018.

2015: Phillies
2016: Pirates
2017: Yankees
2018: Reds

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: June 24, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »

Well it's hard to avoid being swept in Cinci.

I mean ... Bench, Rose, Griffey, Foster, Concepcion, Geronimo, Perez, Morgan ... they don't call 'em The Big Red Machine for nuthin'!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »

4 straight, outscored 31-13 by the hapless Reds - hard to imagine anything in the last 4 years measuring up to this embarrassment.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
4 straight, outscored 31-13 by the hapless Reds - hard to imagine anything in the last 4 years measuring up to this embarrassment.

Swept at home by the Phillies in 2015--including getting no-hit--is up there.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: June 24, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
better for the cubs sake to falter now than down the stretch of the season a month from now right?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1536 on: June 24, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »

Those hapless Reds have won 10 of their last 12 and are 21-18 since May 8th. They really have improved since firing Bryan Price.

I’ll put that 2015 Phillies series over this one any day in terms of bad.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: June 24, 2018, 10:16:31 PM »
Those hapless Reds have won 10 of their last 12 and are 21-18 since May 8th. They really have improved since firing Bryan Price.

I’ll put that 2015 Phillies series over this one any day in terms of bad.

IOW, 17-18 before sweeping the Cubs. Meh. I may be wrong, but when we look at their record at season's end I think hapless will apply.

The 2015 Phils may have been worse, though - I'll grant you that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: June 24, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
better for the cubs sake to falter now than down the stretch of the season a month from now right?

So the Cubs needed to be swept now to avoid it a month from now? Please explain.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: June 24, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »
So the Cubs needed to be swept now to avoid it a month from now? Please explain.

see the long wades vs. cubs fans debate about how the Brewers “faltered down the stretch” last year (if you ignore the fact that the brewers highest winning percentage of the season came in september and second highest winning percentage came in August, the last 2 months of the season, the cubs fans certainly would have won that debate).

according to some cubs fans the brewers faltering out of the gates after the as break was the brewers “faltering down the stretch.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: June 24, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »
see the long wades vs. cubs fans debate about how the Brewers “faltered down the stretch” last year (if you ignore the fact that the brewers highest winning percentage of the season came in september and second highest winning percentage came in August, the last 2 months of the season, the cubs fans certainly would have won that debate).

according to some cubs fans the brewers faltering out of the gates after the as break was the brewers “faltering down the stretch.”

That explains ... well ... nothing. But that's cool. Fans don't have to be rational. I'm not always rational about the Golden Warriors.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: June 25, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »

That explains ... well ... nothing. But that's cool. Fans don't have to be rational. I'm not always rational about the Golden Warriors.

Oh good. I'm gone for a few days and come back to this.

It's basically an argument of semantics as to when the Brewers actually faltered and if dropping 5 of 7 in late September is considered to be part of "the stretch." It's a fascinating read, MU82. I'd definitely recommend avoiding it  ;)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »
I think Maddon's gimmicks are long past their expiration date. He was great for a young, unproven Cubs team but the mad-scientist approach doesn't exactly lend itself to a lineup that should be pretty much set in stone.

If we're being honest, I think this offseason Theo offers Maddon a nice cushy front office job, like head of player development or something like that and hires a new manager. At least, that's what I hope.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: June 25, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
I think Maddon's gimmicks are long past their expiration date. He was great for a young, unproven Cubs team but the mad-scientist approach doesn't exactly lend itself to a lineup that should be pretty much set in stone.

If we're being honest, I think this offseason Theo offers Maddon a nice cushy front office job, like head of player development or something like that and hires a new manager. At least, that's what I hope.

Maddon's schtick can seem draining at times. He likes to keep guys loose and "uncomfortable," which can have great results, but that strategy doesn't necessarily jive with every roster he's given. I've said this before but I feel like Maddon has a bit of an NBA-like strategy with this team. He coasts along, trying unorthodox moves and experimenting with line-ups, off days, defensive shifts, bullpen roles, etc all while planning on getting it all together in the second half to make a run in October. It worked last season so I'm obviously not calling for the guy's head. I mean, he led Tampa Bay to a pennant, won the WS with the Cubs and has gone to 3 straight NLCS's so he's clearly been effective.

Joe's contract expires after next season so I don't expect any changes after 2018. David Ross managing the Cubs in 2020? That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
MLB has its lowest attendance at this point in a season in 15 years.

http://fortune.com/2018/06/15/mlb-attendance-rate-declining/

I don't believe this is possible. I mean, not only do MLB players stand for the national anthem, but teams even play God Bless America every Sunday.

All this patriotism ... and still attendance is way down? Please!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: June 25, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »

I don't believe this is possible. I mean, not only do MLB players stand for the national anthem, but teams even play God Bless America every Sunday.

Wtf.  Why do you guys keep trying to bring this terrible conversation back to life in this thread.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: June 26, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
Wtf.  Why do you guys keep trying to bring this terrible conversation back to life in this thread.

"you guys"?

You mean us guys who search for truth rather than silliness? (OK, I like silliness, too, which is why I hang out at Scoop, but still ... )

I mean if a few players not standing for the anthem "killed" the NFL, then ipso fatso, all those players who are standing for the anthem are hurting MLB.

I mean, that's maths!

But sure ...

Cubs lose again. There ... is that better?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: June 26, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »

Yes. Yes it is.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: June 26, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
"you guys"?

You mean us guys who search for truth rather than silliness? (OK, I like silliness, too, which is why I hang out at Scoop, but still ... )

I mean if a few players not standing for the anthem "killed" the NFL, then ipso fatso, all those players who are standing for the anthem are hurting MLB.

I mean, that's maths!

But sure ...

::)

Wasn't this brought up like 10 posts above yours? Hasn't this conversation happened in line 50 other threads?  Does that conversation lead to anything fun/productive/enlightening?

Sorry, didn't mean to impede a search for truth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: June 26, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »

An abundance of reasons.  Bad teams, lousy weather in April in the upper Midwest.  I attended a game during the first week of April.  38 degrees.   Spitting rain and ice pellets.  1500 fans there, tops. 

I know the argument you are trying to make.  It translates better when you use NASCAR.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback