[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499138 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #825 on: May 19, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
It's a masking agent.

what else is Skitch taking daily?  aina.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #826 on: May 19, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
Is Hader the leader in the NL Cy Young race this year?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #827 on: May 19, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »
Has a non-closer relief pitcher ever won the Cy Young Award?

Also, thank God Wilmer Flores started crying midgame. The Brewers could’ve ended up with Wilmer Flores and Zack Wheeler for Carlos Gomez. Instead they got Josh Hader, Domingo Santana, Brett Phillips and Adrian Houser for Gomez and Mike Fiers. That worked out well.

Jeffress only being able to pitch for the Brewers is nice too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #828 on: May 19, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »

Hah. Didn’t even see your post before I made mine. He won’t even be in the running given that he is neither a closer nor starter in my opinion, but he certainly should be.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:45:04 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #829 on: May 19, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »
If there ever was such a thing as a bullpen ace, it's Josh Hader.

#DarthHader

🏀

• All American
« Reply #830 on: May 19, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »

Max Scherzer and DeGrom are the clear front runners.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #831 on: May 19, 2018, 11:47:12 PM »
Also, thank God Wilmer Flores started crying midgame. The Brewers could’ve ended up with Wilmer Flores and Zack Wheeler for Carlos Gomez. Instead they got Josh Hader, Domingo Santana, Brett Phillips and Adrian Houser for Gomez and Mike Fiers. That worked out well.

Uffdah. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/carlos-gomez-astros-trade-fiers.html

He’s the rare Scott Boras client that took an extension as opposed to waiting for free agency, and while he should still secure a $100MM+ contract with ease following the 2016 season, he’s currently in the midst of a three-year, $24MM pact that has worked out beautifully for the Brewers.
:/

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #832 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »

I was thinking the same thing last night.  I'm assuming they still have the Rolaids relief man of year, yes?

Either way, the Crew's bullpen is simply dominant.  If they can get Knebel back to form (and I think they will), it'll be absolutely lights out for any opponent that can't get out of the 5th with a lead.  The amazing part is that it's not just one guy.  Nobody's even talking about Jeffress and the dude's ERA is 0.36.  He's been scored on once this entire year and now has 24 appearances.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:05:12 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #833 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:06 AM »

Jeffress only being able to pitch for the Brewers is nice too.

Hardricourt wrote an article about that a couple weeks ago.  Remind me.  Was that a Doug Melvin trade or was Stearns already here?  Melvin's late career moves need to be recognized.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #834 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
Speaking a Jeffress.  It's amazing to me how it has never worked for him at all away from the Crew but somehow his comfort level with exactly one club makes it work here.  That may someday cost him a bit of money but to heck with that.  I'm sure his message to his agent is 'We ain't going anywhere, I'm signing'.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #835 on: May 20, 2018, 08:14:32 AM »
Mite bee back on da peds in mke, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #836 on: May 20, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »
Hardricourt wrote an article about that a couple weeks ago.  Remind me.  Was that a Doug Melvin trade or was Stearns already here?  Melvin's late career moves need to be recognized.

Gomez was traded on July 30, 2015 and Melvin stepped down on August 11, 2015. You’re right. Melvin’s moves at the end are a very underrated part of the rebuild.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #837 on: May 20, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
Gomez was traded on July 30, 2015 and Melvin stepped down on August 11, 2015. You’re right. Melvin’s moves at the end are a very underrated part of the rebuild.

Thanks for looking it up.   :)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #838 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
Right now the Brewers have the 7th best record in baseball. Do you think they're the 7th most talented team?

It's fifth best record now, thank you very much.

The reason why it seems like the Brewers aren't that talented is because they don't have a big name superstar player.  The four teams ahead of Milwaukee are the Yankees (Stanton, Judge), Boston (Sale, Betts), Houston (Altuve, Verlander), and Atlanta (Freeman, Albies, Acuna). 

Who's the biggest name in Milwaukee? A washed-up Braun? A reliever (Hader)? The third best outfielder that the Marlins traded last winter (Yelich)?  This Brewers team isn't winning with superstars, it's winning with depth.  We've gone 7-2 on a tough road trip with our top four starters ALL on the DL (and Braun and Thames too). 

It will be interesting to see if Slinging Stearns makes a deal for a superstar at the deadline.  Lots of interesting names on bad teams right now.  Can you imagine this team with Machado? Kershaw?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #839 on: May 20, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »

The reason why it seems like the Brewers aren't that talented is because they don't have a big name superstar player.  The four teams ahead of Milwaukee are the Yankees (Stanton, Judge), Boston (Sale, Betts), Houston (Altuve, Verlander), and Atlanta (Freeman, Albies, Acuna). 

Who's the biggest name in Milwaukee? A washed-up Braun? A reliever (Hader)? The third best outfielder that the Marlins traded last winter (Yelich)?  This Brewers team isn't winning with superstars, it's winning with depth.  We've gone 7-2 on a tough road trip with our top four starters ALL on the DL (and Braun and Thames too). 

It will be interesting to see if Slinging Stearns makes a deal for a superstar at the deadline.  Lots of interesting names on bad teams right now.  Can you imagine this team with Machado? Kershaw?

1) And because they're a small market team.  I still don't think ESPN or MLB.com has ever acknowledged how good the Royals were for a few years.

2) I'm thinking he might because for the first time in memory the Crew has quality guys who are blocked.  I'm not necessarily suggesting they trade Phillips or Broxton, for example, but those guys are legitimate ML players.   I'm also guessing it might be before the all star game.  June is an important month in that the Crew has a solid 2-3 week stretch against some quality teams.

Personally, I really believe this road trip that'll be completed today has been a key.  Just 10 days ago some were wondering if this team could hit.  Personally, I thought April had been something of an aberration. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:05:30 AM by jsglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #840 on: May 20, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
Rays are about to start the same guy in consecutive games today.  Yesterday, they started a reliever to face the top three guys in the line up before he yielded to the "starter."  They are potentially going to employ the same strategy today.

https://deadspin.com/the-rays-are-making-history-with-strange-new-pitching-s-1826178026

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #841 on: May 20, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
That's really interesting.  I don't think I've ever heard that done before.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #842 on: May 20, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »

Are they that deep though? I would push back against the argument that the Brewers have more talent at the back of the order or on the bench vs the other teams you listed. The Brewers are 21st in runs scored and 18th in OPS. Despite the 5th best record in baseball, they only have the 12th best +/- (largely on the back of their pitching).  Its not like they're getting unique production out of Arcia, Perez, Pina/Bandy at the back of the order. And I don't see a ton of reasons to think it gets dramatically better. The HRs and AVGs (just to keep my post shorter) at the quarter pole are - Cain .271/5, Yelich .299/5, Shaw .248/10, Braun .222/5, Arcia .208/2, Santana .257/2, Aguilar .327/6. Maybe you get a bit more out of Santana, Arcia, but Aguilar probably fades a bit and the rest of those numbers all project pretty close to preseason expectations.

Their pitching has carried them. They have the second most quality starts in baseball (who would've guessed) and their bullpen has the best ERA in baseball. That bullpen also has the 5th most inning pitched, though, which is a weird combo with the QS, and suggests starters are going exactly 6 IP a lot. But even with Nelson and Anderson back, are they going to get much better than getting a 61% QS percentage? Even with Knebel, is the bullpen going to pitch to a better ERA than 2.58?

I know it doesn't seem like it, but I really am a Brewers fan, and I think they'll be in the race all year. Counsell has done a great job team and he puts guys in position to succeed. But there isn't any obvious place for improvement here. The best that can be hoped for is that they stay healthy and keep up what they've been doing, and that the pitching doesn't regress.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #843 on: May 20, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »

This makes me want to throw up.  Hader has been unreal, but this guy, is putting up similar numbers and doing it in 6 (at least) inning shots.  Relievers shouldn't win Cy Youngs, not when they pitch 1/3 ( heck, even 1/2) the innings of a guy putting up great numbers.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scherma01.shtml

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #844 on: May 20, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
1) And because they're a small market team.  I still don't think ESPN or MLB.com has ever acknowledged how good the Royals were for a few years.

Can't really speak to the ESPN portion, but the Royals got (and continue to get) a lot of love on MLB.com and MLB Network and MLB radio.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #845 on: May 20, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
This makes me want to throw up.  Hader has been unreal, but this guy, is putting up similar numbers and doing it in 6 (at least) inning shots.  Relievers shouldn't win Cy Youngs, not when they pitch 1/3 ( heck, even 1/2) the innings of a guy putting up great numbers.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scherma01.shtml

Asking a question makes you want to throw up? Lol. Weak stomach?

Starters might pitch double the innings but they also might impact about 1/3 of the games a releiver might impact. Relievers in today’s game are just as important as starters, if not more.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #846 on: May 20, 2018, 09:59:43 PM »

Starters might pitch double the innings but they also might impact about 1/3 of the games a releiver might impact. Relievers in today’s game are just as important as starters, if not more.

Nope. Bullpens are no doubt important but the quality of a rotation is more valuable.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #847 on: May 20, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

Not that WAR is everything, but:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

and

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

They aren't as valuable.  I would think if the Brewers thought Hader's stuff would hold up over 6 IP he would be starting.  Relievers are important, and have been getting more so each year, but relievers, even elite ones, are not as important as a front line starter.  More than a mid-rotation guy?  Sure, but not than an ace.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #848 on: May 20, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha.

Hahahaha.

Dude.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #849 on: May 20, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha.

Hahahaha.

Dude.

Good post.

feedback