collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499087 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #750 on: May 04, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
I don’t know that it’s so much tanking for a draft pick as it is trading your experienced players for future prospects. Teams are trading players that won’t be factors when they are contending like when the Brewers traded Lucroy.

The losing is just a byproduct of getting rid of good players and going young.

You are spot on. The last 2 WS teams tanked to get to where they were. Brewers and Braves tanked and both are currently in place. The Phillies are winning. I think that until we get a salary cap like football (doubtful), we will always have a mixture in the Playoffs of big money teams and smaller market teams who tanked or semi-tanked to try to get to the top.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #751 on: May 04, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »
Matt Harvey has been DFA-ed.  Yikes.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #752 on: May 04, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
I don’t know that it’s so much tanking for a draft pick as it is trading your experienced players for future prospects. Teams are trading players that won’t be factors when they are contending like when the Brewers traded Lucroy.

The losing is just a byproduct of getting rid of good players and going young.

I think tanking in baseball is more about trading experienced but expensive players for prospects.

I think it's absolutely both, and one of the outcomes of trading established players for prospects is it leads to more losses and in turn a higher pick.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #753 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
Trust the process.

Or in the Royals' case, the reverse process that took them from a championship just a few years ago to yecch-dom now.
Yosted.

Seriously, Ned Yost managing a WS winner was a travesty.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #754 on: May 04, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
Yosted.

I was pretty stunned, too. I thought he was a complete buffoon when he managed the Brewers. Which I guess is better than being an incomplete buffoon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #755 on: May 06, 2018, 11:35:28 PM »
Yosted.

Ned Yost managed that team, which was a bit unorthodox, completely perfectly.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #756 on: May 06, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »
Anyone watching the Cards/Cubs game?  Ozuna just smoked a ball right too Bryant who couldn't make the play.  And on a ball hit right to him, it was clearly not an error when he didn't make the play because the ball was just smoked.  Wow. 

Sidenote:  I bet Nolan Arenado would have made the play though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:42:16 PM by buckchuckler »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #757 on: May 07, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
I feel like the Cubs have adopted an NBA mentality since winning the WS. They coast through the first half of the season, knowing that they're more talented than the teams going gung ho around them and they plan to turn it on in the second half, make the playoffs and go from there. It's frustrating to watch - there's no sense of urgency, Maddon's playing around with the leadoff spot, etc. That style can work in the NBA when talent typically trumps all and the top 8 teams get into the postseason. Baseball is different than that and sooner or later, I fear the Cubs will get burned.

That said, I still think they'll win the division and have a strong chance of winning the whole thing  ;)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #758 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
I feel like the Cubs have adopted an NBA mentality since winning the WS. They coast through the first half of the season, knowing that they're more talented than the teams going gung ho around them and they plan to turn it on in the second half, make the playoffs and go from there. It's frustrating to watch - there's no sense of urgency, Maddon's playing around with the leadoff spot, etc. That style can work in the NBA when talent typically trumps all and the top 8 teams get into the postseason. Baseball is different than that and sooner or later, I fear the Cubs will get burned.

That said, I still think they'll win the division and have a strong chance of winning the whole thing  ;)

The team is consistently finding ways to lose right now and their stars aren't performing like stars. 

The defense has been very poor and continues to bite them in key situations. 

The amount of soft contact has been disturbing and their inability to be productive with RISP and less than two outs continues to be a serious issue. 

I really don't think the Cardinals or Brewers are particularly good either but I am starting to become concerned. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #759 on: May 07, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
This is cool.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/time-lapse-for-ichiros-mlb-hits-is-beautiful/c-275626658

Oh yeah, and the D-Backs are yet to lose a series.  Even with some pretty big injuries.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:31:59 PM by buckchuckler »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #760 on: May 08, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Danny Farquhar being released from the hospital is the best news on either side of town all season.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/danny-farquhar-discharged-from-hospital-wont-be-cleared-to-play-this-season/

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #761 on: May 08, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »
This is cool.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/time-lapse-for-ichiros-mlb-hits-is-beautiful/c-275626658

Dude knew what he was good at and stuck with it.  The infield singles were impressive, but the left and center field singles even more so for a lefty.  Amazing hitter.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #762 on: May 08, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
Dude knew what he was good at and stuck with it.  The infield singles were impressive, but the left and center field singles even more so for a lefty.  Amazing hitter.

Pete Rose plus speed and defense.  Great player.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: May 09, 2018, 07:48:19 AM »
I feel like the Cubs have adopted an NBA mentality since winning the WS. They coast through the first half of the season, knowing that they're more talented than the teams going gung ho around them and they plan to turn it on in the second half, make the playoffs and go from there.

I do not think MLB ballplayers have this mentality. Every time up, they are trying to get a hit; every batter they face they are trying to strike out (or induce a groundball if they are that type of pitcher). I don't believe they start a season on cruise control.

Now if you are trying to get into some deep psychological stuff - they are on cruise control but don't know it - that's a whole 'nother level of speculation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #764 on: May 09, 2018, 09:15:24 AM »
With the Brewers beating the Indians again last night, the entire AL Central is now under .500.  The division has a combined record of 68-102.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #765 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease are hitter and pitcher of the week inbtheir respective leagues. 

I think I really, really like that trade.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #766 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease are hitter and pitcher of the week inbtheir respective leagues. 

I think I really, really like that trade.

It made sense for the Cubs and it was a fantastic trade for the Sox. I drafted Eloy in the 30th round of my fantasy keeper league this year and feel good about it.  He's pretty close to can't-miss, IMO.

I'm not worried about the Pirates but it would have been nice if the Sox didn't blow that lead today.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #767 on: May 09, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »
With the Brewers beating the Indians again last night, the entire AL Central is now under .500.  The division has a combined record of 68-102.

Only thing surprising about that is Cleveland but they'll eventually take control. MN may hang around.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #768 on: May 09, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
Detroit is getting runners on base but not bringing them home.    Too many injuries right now.  Today's line up against the Rangers may be the weakest one I have seen anywhere in a long time.    However, to their credit, they are playing hard every game.  Not enough power, not enough pitching, not enough RBI producers, but interesting to watch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #769 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »
Only thing surprising about that is Cleveland but they'll eventually take control. MN may hang around.

Cleveland was 31-31 last year and went on to win 102 games.  Not that they will do that again, but I think they'll be ok.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #770 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:14 PM »
It made sense for the Cubs and it was a fantastic trade for the Sox. I drafted Eloy in the 30th round of my fantasy keeper league this year and feel good about it.  He's pretty close to can't-miss, IMO.

I'm not worried about the Pirates but it would have been nice if the Sox didn't blow that lead today.

The Sox bullpen is really something.  I hope Jones can hold some semblance of health and effectiveness until he can be traded.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #771 on: May 13, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
Freddy.   ;D

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #772 on: May 14, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
The Dodgers just keep sinking.  Not looking promising.  They are going to have some serious work to do if they want to rebound.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #773 on: May 14, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
The Dodgers just keep sinking.  Not looking promising.  They are going to have some serious work to do if they want to rebound.

I know they've had some major injuries and some guys probably had career years last year but it's really surprising.  Getting swept by the Reds in a 4 game series?  Ouch. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #774 on: May 14, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
I know they've had some major injuries and some guys probably had career years last year but it's really surprising.  Getting swept by the Reds in a 4 game series?  Ouch.

Agreed.  It's one thing to be playing okay (see Cubs), but the Dodgers just don't seem competitive this year.

feedback