[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498710 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
Opinions, please?

Yesterday, trailing 7-0 in the 9th inning, the Orioles catcher bunted for a base hit with 1 out in the 9th. The Twins were in a shift at the time.

After the game, several Twins players whined about how it was unethical to bunt in that situation. I am wondering why.

Why is it OK for the Twins to shift their defense to try to stop a base hit, but it is wrong for an opposing hitter to try to beat the shift? And, with nobody on base, there is only one job for a hitter - get on base. There is no other reason to even walk up to the plate if he is not trying to get on base.

If the Twins are going to whine over something like this, why aren't they advocating to cancel the 9th inning completely in a 7-0 game? Is that any different than whining that the opposing player is trying to get on base.

On another topic, has any manager in history ever done a worse job in his first couple games than Gabe Kapler?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Being in a shift is the exact opposite of waving the white flag, bunt away.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
Opinions, please?

Yesterday, trailing 7-0 in the 9th inning, the Orioles catcher bunted for a base hit with 1 out in the 9th. The Twins were in a shift at the time.

After the game, several Twins players whined about how it was unethical to bunt in that situation. I am wondering why.

Why is it OK for the Twins to shift their defense to try to stop a base hit, but it is wrong for an opposing hitter to try to beat the shift? And, with nobody on base, there is only one job for a hitter - get on base. There is no other reason to even walk up to the plate if he is not trying to get on base.

If the Twins are going to whine over something like this, why aren't they advocating to cancel the 9th inning completely in a 7-0 game? Is that any different than whining that the opposing player is trying to get on base.

On another topic, has any manager in history ever done a worse job in his first couple games than Gabe Kapler?

Smart play by the catcher.  All of these shifts are "cute" but I agree, encourages the hitter to counter what the D is giving him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
Opinions, please?

"Unwritten rules" are stupid.

But this isn't really an "unwritten rule."

So it's even dumber.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Opinions, please?

Yeah the Twinsbare being silly.  Shifting,  especially against not too tier power hitters, begs to be bunted against.  If you are going to have an exploitable weakness if your defense, you shouldn't be surprised if it is exploited.

And Kapler has been embarrassing.  I think he is over thinking it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
Smart play by the hitter.  Embarrassing whining by the Twins.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
Opinions, please?

Good for the Orioles catcher. 

I think too many in baseball overthink stuff today.  Twins should have played it straight up.  And the pitcher should be throwing mostly fastballs over the plate.  If you're not doing that expect the opposition to maximize every opportunity too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

So it's even dumber.

This is my exact stance.

Also ... I remember Kent Hrbek bunting for a couple of doubles against the shift. I can't remember if it was the 9th inning of a 7-0 game, nor would it matter to me if it was.

Hell, I'd do this if the opposing pitcher had a perfect game against me with a 7-0 lead in the 9th, and I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about doing it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
Which leads me to a basketball reference.  When you're 5 possessions behind with 30 seconds to go stop the freakin' fouling!  And we don't need the refs to agonize over a possession decision for 5 minutes!  It's a 2 hour drive home for me. 

I will give a coach one pass on that so he can get the walk-ons in.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
There is no unwritten rule about not bunting in the 9th. Unless the pitcher is throwing a no hitter or a perfect game. That'll get ya plunked.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
Got pretty much the replies I expected.

And I am proud to start a topic where Scoopers aren't arguing ;D

And, shouldn't Chance Sisco be a bounty hunter in Star Wars rather than a ball player? He and Jett Bandy would make a good team.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
The point is getting to the playoffs, even if it's the wild card game.  Anything can happen.  Lynn cost $12 million for one year, which is a drop in the bucket.  The prospect capital to acquire Odorizzi was next to nothing.  And I don't mean it had to be one of those two guys, either.  Alex Cobb could have also been a nice pick up, although I was surprised he got 4/60 in that market.
I agree Lynn and Odorizzi are flawed pitchers and they could both stink (although if they were in the NL I assume they'd be solid).  Even if winning the division is unlikely the Brewers are still competing with the DBacks, Rockies, Cards, and Mets for the two WC spots.  One win could easily be the difference between a wild card or nothing. 

Your counterpoint to my "just the wild card" is right. Its tough to see the Brewers being favorites vs the Cubs at any time during their competitive window short of big injuries to the Cubs core, so that isn't a very good reason for them to not make moves. But I think that also highlights the importance that all of the Brewers significant expenditures are high impact. If they had signed Lynn to his Twins deal, he would represent about 12% of their payroll this year, and he would be their third highest player (currently that's Chacin).  They currently sit at $89M. At their five-year peak starting with 2011 payroll was $94M, $116M, $88M, $113M, $100M.

I swear I want this to stay a baseball-centric conversation and not turn into the whole "Brewers fans are the best because their team is poorer than the Cubs" thing.  But rumor had it that Attanasio operated the team at a loss for some of those high payroll years. No idea if that's actually true, but it probably hints that his payroll ceiling is around $120M. As they sit today, that means that Cobb's 57/4 is a no go - Cobb + Lynn = $116M and is nowhere near a world series team. That's why I'm fine with them waiting on pitching - would've been nice this year, but if they get into the wrong deal for multiple years of $10M or more, it absolutely destroys their financial flexibility. (That being said, Odorizzi for very little prospect capital would have been fine.)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
Dozier's explanation today makes him look even sillier (and who thought that was possible):

While even some Twins fans wondered why the star second baseman and several of his teammates would make an issue of Sisco’s bunt, noting the Twins could have removed the shift if they felt their lead was safe, Dozier said critics are missing the point.
The Orioles didn’t hold Ryan LaMarre at first base after his two-out pinch single in the top of the ninth.
“When they didn’t hold our runner on, they conceded to the fact they didn’t want us to steal, so we didn’t steal,” Dozier said. “We could have very easily stolen and put up more runs, so therefore in return you don’t bunt. That’s what everybody is missing in this whole thing.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/02/brian-dozier-explains-what-critics-are-missing-in-flap-over-chance-sisco-bunt/

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »

So it's even dumber.

Agreed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Here is another unwritten rule:  "Don't whine about him bunting, but pluck him in the head the next time you face him."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:02:11 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
Dozier's explanation today makes him look even sillier (and who thought that was possible):

While even some Twins fans wondered why the star second baseman and several of his teammates would make an issue of Sisco’s bunt, noting the Twins could have removed the shift if they felt their lead was safe, Dozier said critics are missing the point.
The Orioles didn’t hold Ryan LaMarre at first base after his two-out pinch single in the top of the ninth.
“When they didn’t hold our runner on, they conceded to the fact they didn’t want us to steal, so we didn’t steal,” Dozier said. “We could have very easily stolen and put up more runs, so therefore in return you don’t bunt. That’s what everybody is missing in this whole thing.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/02/brian-dozier-explains-what-critics-are-missing-in-flap-over-chance-sisco-bunt/

Playing behind the runner with two outs is not uncommon.  The Twins really need to stop whining.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »
Here is another unwritten rule:  "Don't whine about him bunting, but pluck him in the head the next time you face him."

Respond to a good play with a dirty play?

Um.....  OK.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

Dumb and dangerous.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
Respond to a good play with a dirty play?

Um.....  OK.

MLB "unwritten rule" repeated five times a week.  Don't "shoot" the messenger...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
The Cubs sure look like ass so far.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »
MLB "unwritten rule" repeated five times a week.  Don't "shoot" the messenger...

My apologies. I thought you were making a suggestion rather than pointing out the way things used to be done.

Luckily, that unwritten rule isn't "enforced" nearly as much anymore.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2018, 07:37:46 PM »
My apologies. I thought you were making a suggestion rather than pointing out the way things used to be done.

Luckily, that unwritten rule isn't "enforced" nearly as much anymore.

No worries.  Our points are the same:  Baseball's "unwritten rules" are all stupid. Fortunately, they legislated the "in the area" unwritten rule on double plays at 2nd base. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
The Cubs sure look like ass so far.

Missing Arietta’s roids.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
There is no unwritten rule about not bunting in the 9th. Unless the pitcher is throwing a no hitter or a perfect game. That'll get ya plunked.

And that is stupid and wrong.

One of these days, some manager's pitcher is gonna kill or maim an opponent while enforcing an unwritten rule.

Beyond that, I personally can remember 2 games in which a team rallied from 8+ run deficits in the 9th inning. You need baserunners to do it.

Hell, I remember Bochte getting all bent out of shape when somebody bunted against one of his San Diego pitchers who had a no-hitter when it was 2-0. I mean, the guy gets on and brings the tying run to the plate! "You don't bunt against a no-hitter!" Bochte whined. No, you try to win the effen game. So stupid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Missing Arietta’s roids.

You sir need to buy me a new bottle.

feedback