collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Yay ... my favorite college football team won!  (Read 17607 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Yay ... my favorite college football team won!
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
Hornibrook really stepped up today.  After I thought he had no chance to.

He did.  That TD on the deep slant was a thing of beauty.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
I know the SEC fanbases/expectations are brutal, but if Malzahn's seat was actually heating up - that's insanity. Auburn's work with Stidham this year has been incredible. It's hard to believe he's the same guy I watched throw for a jittery 79 yds on 13 completions vs Clemson.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
Go auburn.  And go buckeyes next weekend.  Go, anarchy!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
Go auburn.  And go buckeyes next weekend.  Go, anarchy!

These past couple of weeks have been just crazy.  Georgia looked like a lock, then Miami and Bama.  Tuesday night should be interesting, and the conference championship games could shuffle things up yet again....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »
These past couple of weeks have been just crazy.  Georgia looked like a lock, then Miami and Bama.  Tuesday night should be interesting, and the conference championship games could shuffle things up yet again....

Oklahoma and UW will be top 2 seeds if they win next week.

Alabama was #1 on reputation only. Before today, their opponents for the year were 66-59. Didn't beat anyone in the top #15. If their name was Arkansas, they would have been rated somewhere in the lower half of the top 10.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:06:35 PM by Jockey »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
Oklahoma and UW will be top 2 seeds if they win next week.

Alabama was #1 on reputation only. Before today, their opponents for the year were 66-59. Didn't beat anyone in the top #15. If their name was Arkansas, they would have been rated somewhere in the lower half of the top 10.

Maybe, but if Clemson wins tonight and next week, I'd bet they will be ahead of UW.  Of course, just when you think a team has a spot locked up, they've lost lately....

And the UGa-Auburn rematch should be a good game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »

???? Alabama beat 2 top 20 teams and Florida State when they were #2 before they lost their QB. But undefeated they would have been in the bottom half of the top 10 while Wisconsin (with zero wins against top 20 teams) was ranked #5? No way, nohow.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:00:40 PM by Lennys Tap »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
Oklahoma, UW, ACC and SEC champions win next week and they are in. Anything else opens the door for Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
Oklahoma, UW, ACC and SEC champions win next week and they are in. Anything else opens the door for Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

Yup.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
???? Alabama beat 2 top 20 teams and Florida State when they were #2 before they lost their QB. But undefeated they would have been in the bottom half of the top 10 while Wisconsin (with zero wins against top 20 teams) was ranked #5? No way, nohow.

And UW will have beaten 2 top 20 teams if the beat tOSU. Iowa, I think was ranked 15th when they played - higher than anyone Alabama beat. Michigan has been a Top 10 team and has ranked higher than FSU every single week since the season started.

Iowa had a real ranking after playing 9 or 10 games - not an early season reputation ranking. FSU was ranked #2 for the same reason Michigan was ranked #10 at the start of the season. Neither one deserved to be there.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
Auburn has beaten the #1 twice in the last three weeks (Georgia three weeks ago and Alabama today).

They play #7 Georgia again in the SEC championship next week.

Two questions ...

1. Auburn has two losses (to #3 Clemson and @LSU).  Do they have a chance to get in with three losses should they lose to Georgia?

2. If they beat #7 Georgia again, can they rise to #1 despite two losses? (#1 matters because they get their semifinal game in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans as opposed to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:34:31 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »

And UW will have beaten 2 top 20 teams if the beat tOSU.

You were talking now, not sometime in the future. Now, UW has zero top 20 wins (its best is vs #23 Northwestern) and Alabama has 2 (#16 LSU and #19 Mississippi). Alabama's resume' going into today was better than UW's. Not even a UW fan would argue that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
Auburn has beaten the #1 twice in the last three weeks (Georgia three weeks ago and Alabama today).

They play #7 Georgia again in the SEC championship next week.

Two questions ...
1. Auburn has two losses (to #3 Clemson and @LSU).  Do they have a chance to get in with three losses should they lose to Georgia?

2. If they beat #7 Georgia again, can they rise to #1 despite two losses? (#1 matters because they get their semifinal game in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans as opposed to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.)

The answers to your questions are NO, and MAYBE if all the chips fell their way but probably not.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
You were talking now, not sometime in the future. Now, UW has zero top 20 wins (its best is vs #23 Northwestern) and Alabama has 2 (#16 LSU and #19 Mississippi). Alabama's resume' going into today was better than UW's. Not even a UW fan would argue that.

Bama has three top 20 wins, also beat (then) #2 Fla St in the first game of the season.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »
Don't know their exact formula, but Realtime RPI lists Alabama's SOS as 26th and UW's as 102nd....

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings_Full.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »

Not if they lose to Stanford tonight.

I think the big argument will be OSU vs. Bama for the 4th slot if Bucky falls next week.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
Bama has three top 20 wins, also beat (then) #2 Fla St in the first game of the season.

Yeah - that's what I say in a previous post.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:53:20 PM by Lennys Tap »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Not if they lose to Stanford tonight.

I think the big argument will be OSU vs. Bama for the 4th slot if Bucky falls next week.

Agree on OSU vs Bama.

And even if ND beats Stanford, I doubt they get in after the beatdown they took vs Miami.  Say Miami loses to Clemson (2 losses) and ND wins tonight (2 losses).  How do you take ND after that one-sided head to head? 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
Agree on OSU vs Bama.

And even if ND beats Stanford, I doubt they get in after the beatdown they took vs Miami.  Say Miami loses to Clemson (2 losses) and ND wins tonight (2 losses).  How do you take ND after that one-sided head to head?

Cuz they’re god’s team, silly.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
Agree on OSU vs Bama.

The argument would be ND lost to eventual #1 Georgia and to eventual #2 Miami.  They have the best "quality losses" of all the two-loss teams.  So they should be the first two-loss team in.

ND's SoS is #2
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:14:42 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

What scenario would have ND in?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
What scenario would have ND in?

First beat Stanford tonight (tied at 17 as I write this).  If not, stop here below is moot

If they win at Stanford tonight, then next week ...

tOSU beats Bucky
TCU beats OU
Georgia beats Auburn
Clemson Beats Miami

Four teams are ...

Georgia
Bama
Clemson

and the fourth team is between

10-2 ND
10-2 tOSU
10-3 Auburn
10-2 Miami
10-2 OU

ND gets the nod because of #2 SoS. 

So yes a lot of things have to happen.  But above is not impossible.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:33:19 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »
First beat Stanford tonight (tied at 17 as I write this).  If not, ......blah, blah blah.... But above is not impossible.
In other words https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/good-news-browns-your-chances-of-making-the-playoffs-are-only-1-in-19-quintillion/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »
Looks like gods team ain’t gonna make it. Again.

feedback