[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Yay ... my favorite college football team won!  (Read 17371 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Yay ... my favorite college football team won!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
Except they still lose to Northwestern on a regular basis...Nebraska won't suck forever, and it wasn't too long ago where both Penn St and Michigan were awful in the east. Plus ya know, Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland.

Not trying to defend Wisconsin but Actually top to bottom, I'd argue that the West division is tougher.

College football has its ebs and flow just like any other sport.

Yeah, but you have to look at the programs as a whole when projecting divisions. In tOSU, Michigan, and Penn St, you have what are pretty objectively the three best programs in the conference all in one division. I think Michigan St may fall off some once Dantonio leaves, but even then they'd fit right in with Wisc, Iowa and Nebraska, which are the only three programs in that division that are consistently worth a damn.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Assuming their beatdowns this weekend cause Georgia, Notre Dame and TCU to drop below Wisconsin, that puts
Becky at #5 behind Bama, Clemson, Miami and Oklahoma.
Given that Clemson and Miami will play in the ACC Championship game, it's not possible for everyone above them to win out.

Yeah this is looking pretty likely. If Oklahoma wins out, and neither Clemson or Miami lose before they play in the ACC Champ, that's two in front of UW for sure. I think the only thing that could conceivably keep an undefeated UW out is if Bama beats Auburn, but then Georgia goes undefeated the rest of the way and wins a close one against Bama in the SEC championship. The way UGA played yesterday, that looks pretty unlikely.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »
Except they still lose to Northwestern on a regular basis...Nebraska won't suck forever, and it wasn't too long ago where both Penn St and Michigan were awful in the east. Plus ya know, Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland.

Not trying to defend Wisconsin but Actually top to bottom, I'd argue that the West division is tougher.

College football has its ebs and flow just like any other sport.

Top to bottom you think the West is tougher?  In my view there are 4 heavy weights in one division and 1 in the west.  Rutgers has three conference wins, two of them against the west.  The Eastern division is 11-6 against the West this year.

Penn State was awful because of a scandal which everyone knew they would recover from.  Michigan's awful was what most in the west deem normal in my opinion. 

You might be th only person in the world that thinks the SEC divisions are balanced.

And just a few posts ago you were claiming that if UW goes undefeated they still need help to get into the CFP. So I’m not sure how that post can be anything but a contradiction to this post where you claim it’s a gift they get such an easy draw.

Balanced in the sense that there are great programs in both divisions that have done great things.  In the last 20 years Florida has won multiple national titles, Tennessee has won one.  Missouri & South Carolina have all finished in the top 5 in the last five years.  Georgia was #1 just this week.

In the East, Alabama has won multiple titles. Auburn has won a title.  LSU has won multiple titles all in the last 10 years.  In 2014 MSU was ranked #1.  A&M finished in the top 5 in the last 5 years final poll.

What I'm saying is that both SEC divisions there are heavyweights all over the place and if they don't perform, coaches are fired and expected to compete for SEC titles and national titles.  The Big Ten West? Mostly avg, has been programs where no one is going to confuse most of those programs for anything other than regional programs that are fortunate to go to a mid tier bowl game.  There is no comparison.  The SEC is a juggernaut regardless of division. The Big Ten west is a puff piece written for a high school yearbook.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
But geographically, there isn't an obvious fix.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
But geographically, there isn't an obvious fix.

Right.  The B10 decided that it would be better to have these divisions so teams see one another more often, than more competitively balanced divisions with too many "protected" inter-division rivalry games.  (Which is what the SEC has)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
miami jumps to #2...for this week, must be the chain thing
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 11:36:47 PM »
Assuming their beatdowns this weekend cause Georgia, Notre Dame and TCU to drop below Wisconsin, that puts
Becky at #5 behind Bama, Clemson, Miami and Oklahoma.
Given that Clemson and Miami will play in the ACC Championship game, it's not possible for everyone above them to win out.

Wisconsin will get leapfrogged

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
If we're being honest Wisconsin starts each year with 5 Big Ten wins before they take the field, plus their annual awful non conference schedule, they have 8 wins before doing a thing.  How many major conferences have a school that has such a built in advantage because the divisions are so poorly structured?

There isn't a one.  The ACC is balanced. SEC balanced. Pac 12 balanced.  Big 12 doesn't have divisions.  Wisconsin has an amazing gift each year. All they have to do is somehow get by basically two teams a year and often those are at home.  No other major conference gifts any school like Wisconsin is gifted. Not one.

It's a curse because they play those 5 B1G games.  They're SOS wreckers on their own.  That's why they're a curse.

God, you just love to argue over anything.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

That'll be interesting to watch. I think a 2-bid SEC could do it, but would 2-loss Auburn jump undefeated Wisco? Tough to see 2-loss USC jumping them, esp since the Pac 12 title game wouldn't be a standout win with Wash's loss this weekend. A 2-loss Big 12 champ? Probably not. What about either 2-loss Clemson or 1-loss Miami if the ACC Champ is an instant classic?

Ultimately, I can't see the committee voting in any 2-loss team over undefeated Wisco. Even if Auburn would have as decent an argument for that as you could hypothetically muster. I think their only real threat is Miami losing in the ACC Champ but looking great doing it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
It would be an awful lot of fun watching a meltdown if they were undefeated but held out. Interviews with Barry would be gold.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »

Ultimately, I can't see the committee voting in any 2-loss team over undefeated Wisco. I think their only real threat is Miami losing in the ACC Champ but looking great doing it.

Agreed.

It would be an awful lot of fun watching a meltdown if they were undefeated but held out. Interviews with Barry would be gold.

Agreed!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

I just don't see too many scenarios where that is possible. In fact, I can come up with just one: Georgia beating Alabama in a relatively close game in the SEC Championship. And given the way Georgia has looked the past couple weeks and Saban's record against his former assistants (11-0, average margin of victory 28 points), that seems pretty unlikely.

Other than that, there are no other 1-loss teams outside the top 4 but in the top 12. And I can't imagine any circumstance in which a 2-loss team leapfrogs an undefeated Big 10 champion fresh off a neutral site win over a (likely) top 10 opponent. And I don't see Miami losing to Clemson then getting chosen over a team that just beat a top 10 opponent.
I'm no Becky fan either, but the truth is they control their destiny. Win out, and they're in.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
Auburn could leapfrog Wisconsin if they win out even with two losses.

If I had to guess,  the CFP will be Bama, OU, CLEM, and OSU. I want to pick Miami over Clemson but I just can bring myself to do it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
Auburn could leapfrog Wisconsin if they win out even with two losses.

If I had to guess,  the CFP will be Bama, OU, CLEM, and OSU. I want to pick Miami over Clemson but I just can bring myself to do it.

How does a two-loss Ohio State - one of those losses being a 31-point blowout to an unranked team - get in ahead of a Miami team that, at worst, has one loss against a top-four opponent?
That's unpossible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
How does a two-loss Ohio State - one of those losses being a 31-point blowout to an unranked team - get in ahead of a Miami team that, at worst, has one loss against a top-four opponent?
That's unpossible.

I think if there is a way to get Ohio State in, a way will be found to get them in.
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »
Interesting that everyone considers Alabama to be a great team. I believe that when the rankings come out tomorrow, they will have no wins over a top-10 ranked team. Or even a top-15 ranked team. And only 2 wins over top 25 teams.

While they will have 2 tough games coming up after they face MERCER, their schedule to date has been no tougher than UW's.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 03:16:30 PM »
The mayhem at the top of the rankings is an ideal situation for the committee. They can pick and choose which teams are most deserving (i.e. which will bring in the most money).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
The mayhem at the top of the rankings is an ideal situation for the committee. They can pick and choose which teams are most deserving (i.e. which will bring in the most money).

Not only ideal for the committee, but for fans in general to increase interest.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 03:43:11 PM »
Not only ideal for the committee, but for fans in general to increase interest.

As usual, the only ones who aren't in an ideal situation are the actual student-athletes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
The only 2-loss team that would jump an undefeated Wisconsin is Auburn if they beat Alabama and then win the SEC Championship. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
Only situation I can see an undefeated Wisconsin being left out:

Alabama beats Mercer, loses to Auburn
Miami or Clemson wins out
Oklahoma wins out
Auburn wins out

Would a 1 loss Miami (to Clemson in the ACC champ game) make it in over an undefeated Wisconsin? I'm not sure. What if Georgia wins out? Could they leapfrog an undefeated Bucky?

Anyway, this is why college football is stupid. Wisconsin (and UCF for that matter) could go undefeated and not even have a chance to win the championship. Their seasons were effectively over before they began.
TAMU

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:39 PM »
Still think Wisconsin will be #6 this week. Alabama, Miami, Clemson and Oklahoma will be ahead of them. Wouldn't be surprised if Georgia is too. Only loss to a top 10 team on the road.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
A one loss Miami gets in over Wisconsin because more eyes will watch Miami. A lot more eyes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:10 AM »
A one loss Miami gets in over Wisconsin because more eyes will watch Miami. A lot more eyes.

Won’t even be a consideration. UW would get in ahead of them no doubt.

feedback