[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Chaluparena Survey / Season ticket rates  (Read 24281 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MU Chaluparena Survey / Season ticket rates
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
Put me in the camp that believes someone from COBA convinced the AD to allow his/her class to use this an opportunity to do a price tolerance study.

The fact that i) different people are seeing different options based on their initial responses and ii) comps that really aren't comps screams academia to me.  AD isn't sophisticated enough (or willing to spend the money to hire people sophisticated enough) to conduct such a study.  Not to mention, no professional consultant is going to take the time/effort to cast a net wider than the actual or very likely target market... the fact that out-of-state alums are seeing this survey means there are several different exercises going on here.

In other words, you're all being duped if you think this is actually real.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:56:51 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
We disagree brother.  At 4000 (50% or undergrads) you still only utilize 21% of the current building capacity that fills exactly one time a year.  At 1,000 that's down to 6% of the new building using rough numbers.  You basically said 'students aren't welcome'.  The reason for split plans back in my day was that every game had exactly 11,052 fans in their seats.  Now what MU is probably doing is seeing how many student season tickets they sell (let's say 3,000) and capping it at that.

Here's the question, how many times a year are all 4000 student tickets used(or something close), how many times are they at 3000 for a game? I get the calculation of % of total seats available to students, so maybe the number isn't 1000 but there absolutely should be a lower number of student tickets sold because the students aren't filling the seats anyway. Maybe the number is 2000 or 2500 but the student section capacity needs to be significantly lower.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
Put me in the camp that believes someone from COBA convinced the AD to allow his/her class to use this an opportunity to do a price tolerance study.

The fact that i) different people are seeing different options based on their initial responses and ii) comps that really aren't comps screams academia to me.  AD isn't sophisticated enough (or willing to spend the money to hire people sophisticated enough) to conduct such a study.  Not to mention, no professional consultant is going to take the time/effort to cast a net wider than the actual or very likely target market... the fact that out-of-state alums are seeing this survey means there are several different exercises going on here.

In other words, you're all being duped if you think this is actually real.

Biggest tell, they have 7 gender options to select from.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
Here's the question, how many times a year are all 4000 student tickets used(or something close), how many times are they at 3000 for a game? I get the calculation of % of total seats available to students, so maybe the number isn't 1000 but there absolutely should be a lower number of student tickets sold because the students aren't filling the seats anyway. Maybe the number is 2000 or 2500 but the student section capacity needs to be significantly lower.

I think that having a bit of an undersupply of student tickets will increase the perceived value of being a student ticketholder, and in the long run, it will increase student attendance.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I think 2,500 to 3,000 student seats would be fine. I definitely think trimming it should be an option as you rarely see the rafters filled outside of the truly marquee games. That will help to open up more in the upper decks, where quantity is being reduced.

The real problem is that the designers are banking on people in the lower corners both being able to afford and wanting to move to the sideline sections. Not sure how that play will work out. It wouldn't surprise me if when the actual prices come out, the sections that are sideline but off center (105, 107, 116, 118) end up at a different price point than the actual center sideline sections.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »

Okay, but it's not like the arena is capacity constrained.  You can get a ticket for tomorrow's game for probably $5.  But I get your point.  There's no need to allocate a 4000 block for the students in a ugggee student section.  Bringing #nored tomorrow?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »

I know!  Chick was telling me.  WTF? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
I totally get that and obviously I was being a bit sarcastic but my point stands: The way this was put out really just shows how they misjudge their fan base in terms of what they are looking for and are willing to pay for MUBB.

Left unsaid so far in this thread is that any of these potential funding initiatives really ramp up the pressure on the coach and athletics department. If you ask a long time ticket holder now on a fixed income to fork over $10k for PSLs and $2500 yearly for his seats, you damn well better be prepared to win every day. The Vesties are going to raise a ruckus.

Gotta be honest, Doc.  I don't understand your concept here.  They are misjudging it, how? 

.. If there are PSLs .. and they are north of $500, the loudest thing inside the Chaluparena will be crickets.  Or bats. 

Well, the bats will be eating the crickets, so, yeah, just the bats.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »

+tax

In Texas you would have two, in California probably 12, so we're trying to take the middle road.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
+tax

In Texas you would have two, in California probably 12, so we're trying to take the middle road.

Now admittedly, one was 'prefer not to answer'.  Chick was telling me of a category where you decided each day based on your mood.  What floor on McCormick are they supposed to be?   :o

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
Gotta be honest, Doc.  I don't understand your concept here.  They are misjudging it, how? 

.. If there are PSLs .. and they are north of $500, the loudest thing inside the Chaluparena will be crickets.  Or bats. 

Well, the bats will be eating the crickets, so, yeah, just the bats.

Yep.  But I'm going to give Mike the benefit of the doubt here.  He's a damn smart engineer used to analyzing models and he's lived in MKE long enough to understand the culture.  Summerfest still costs $15 for a reason and every day still has a 'bring a can of food' special.  I'll be shocked if they eff this up.  It's just a demand study and look how many pages we've gone!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »

Really? We can't sell out a game in years and you want to limit student tickets? That seems utterly stupid. Until the demand gets to the point where students are taking seats that could otherwise be sold as season tix, leave it alone.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
Now admittedly, one was 'prefer not to answer'.  Chick was telling me of a category where you decided each day based on your mood.  What floor on McCormick are they supposed to be?   :o

Looks like I didn't do a good job of explaining "genderqueer" to glow.  But let's not turn this thread into a discussion of political correctness.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »
Really? We can't sell out a game in years and you want to limit student tickets? That seems utterly stupid. Until the demand gets to the point where students are taking seats that could otherwise be sold as season tix, leave it alone.

It's not punative, it's simply scarcity drives demand. Student tickets are oversaturated and as such their value is low. Increased scarcity drives increased demand. Couple that with a rewards program for attendance and you know what you have.....a full student section nearly every game especially as the team regains national prominence.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
Looks like I didn't do a good job of explaining "genderqueer" to glow.  But let's not turn this thread into a discussion of political correctness.

A term I had never heard before yesterday.  Ignorance is bliss.  Agreed, I don't want a discussion and frankly don't care how someone identifies.

I waiting to hear if I get to play with Owen and guard the Ladies Room door.  Oddly, this might be related!   ;D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
Okay, but it's not like the arena is capacity constrained.  You can get a ticket for tomorrow's game for probably $5.  But I get your point.  There's no need to allocate a 4000 block for the students in a ugggee student section.  Bringing #nored tomorrow?

I guess I look at it as the university doesn't have a problem in selling student tickets(even though a lot go unused) they have a problem selling general tickets. If they can reduce student tickets, give that capacity to a lower entry point for standard STH types thats a win/win/win. At the end of the day, it isn't about how full the stadium is per se but how much revenue they can make....more STH more revenue(if priced correctly) regardless of whether those STH show up or not.

Nope, the Badger fan is staying home with him tomorrow night. If it was a 7PM start, different story, but 8PM starts are too late to push it with him especially since we have a lot of stuff this weekend and I gone all next week for work.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
I guess I look at it as the university doesn't have a problem in selling student tickets(even though a lot go unused) they have a problem selling general tickets. If they can reduce student tickets, give that capacity to a lower entry point for standard STH types thats a win/win/win. At the end of the day, it isn't about how full the stadium is per se but how much revenue they can make....more STH more revenue(if priced correctly) regardless of whether those STH show up or not.

Nope, the Badger fan is staying home with him tomorrow night. If it was a 7PM start, different story, but 8PM starts are too late to push it with him especially since we have a lot of stuff this weekend and I gone all next week for work.

Gotta be tough in your house talking football.  See you tomorrow Phil.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
A term I had never heard before yesterday.  Ignorance is bliss.  Agreed, I don't want a discussion and frankly don't care how someone identifies.

I waiting to hear if I get to play with Owen and guard the Ladies Room door.  Oddly, this might be related!   ;D

I just don't get why there was a choice between "Female" and "Trans Female" and "Male" and "Trans Male"  Based on my very limited familiarity with this, a non-insignificant percentage of trans people would be offended that Marquette would make the distinction. 

And are they going to make data analyses based on the answers of trans women and trans men as  groups? I am just not seeing Bill Scholl saying, "Well, everyone seems cool with the PSL concept except for the trans females, so we need to take that into consideration".
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

What about a 'recent alumni' section?  I know that the first years out of school are usually a bit of a struggle financially, and having some reasonable seating prices for new grads might be a great idea.  Remove one of the student sections near the top and make it available for people who are 1 or 2 years removed from graduation.  Find a price point in the middle of student tickets and other tickets.  Not only would this keep more butts in the seats, but it would bridge the gap for a lot of fans that aren't able to afford typical season tickets until they are financially established.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
I just don't get why there was a choice between "Female" and "Trans Female" and "Male" and "Trans Male"  Based on my very limited familiarity with this, a non-insignificant percentage of trans people would be offended that Marquette would make the distinction. 

And are they going to make data analyses based on the answers of trans women and trans men as  groups? I am just not seeing Bill Scholl saying, "Well, everyone seems cool with the PSL concept except for the trans females, so we need to take that into consideration".

All data gathered is valuable.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
What about a 'recent alumni' section?  I know that the first years out of school are usually a bit of a struggle financially, and having some reasonable seating prices for new grads might be a great idea.  Remove one of the student sections near the top and make it available for people who are 1 or 2 years removed from graduation.  Find a price point in the middle of student tickets and other tickets.  Not only would this keep more butts in the seats, but it would bridge the gap for a lot of fans that aren't able to afford typical season tickets until they are financially established.

It's been quite successful for MU so I fully expect it to be in the final model somehow.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

Yep, this is the type of thing I was talking about. I think this is what the Coors Light section at the BC is intended to be

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
Anyone know the story in 204 or 226? What’s with the limited rows?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:36:08 AM by WE R FINAL FOUR »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
Anyone know the story in 206 or 226? What’s with the limited ties?

Not sure, but I think the numbering is wrong. Should be 204 and 226, if you count around the outside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Right—I can’t read. Thx

feedback