[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Chaluparena Survey / Season ticket rates  (Read 24264 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: MU Chaluparena Survey / Season ticket rates
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:54 AM »
I mean a lot of this comes down to what is the view from the actual seats?? Sure, it will be better, but for instance, behind the basket is still behind the basket. Plus as everyone says, at these prices, everyone that was sitting downstairs will now move upstairs, and that has a trickle down effect. I mean, if I lived close by where I could be home in 10-15 minutes after the game was over..that would factor in..but now you are talking paying more with the same long drive, the late nights getting home, and the key being...every game is on TV now, is it worth it?? As far as a better "in game" experience...all I need for a better in game experience is "W's". There haven't been enough of those(especially at home) lately. Nothing I hate more then driving that far, getting home late at night after an "L" at home. STOP LOSING at home, and I'd gladly pay their prices AND increase my donations.
Everyone, hey?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
This survey is proof MU doesn't get its target audience. Honestly, it was a slap in the face. Put a winner on the floor, improve the game experience, and understand the $1000s of dollars we spend to just get to games before we enter the arena. Really, $24k for a club access for a $12 beer when Turners is across the street? Seat licenses for the crap we've had to watch the last five years? Infuriating...call me entitled but the Vesties are out to MMGA.

Keep in mind that Marquette was probably strong armed into raising ticket prices significantly by the Bucks.  They're probably just testing the waters to see what they can charge and what they can't to make some money.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
Keep in mind that Marquette was probably strong armed into raising ticket prices significantly by the Bucks.  They're probably just testing the waters to see what they can charge and what they can't to make some money.

That's exactly what they're doing.  Look, you simply can't price your product such that your season ticket base goes from 11,000 down to 7,000 overnight.  It's not just the lost revenue.  It's the fact that those 4,000 folks then stop contributing time, talent and treasure to the university.  And if you institute a 90% price increase that's the reaction you'll get.  Marquette is simply studying the shape of the demand curve right now.  And remember, they've faced declining numbers for several years.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »
Well at the moment I don't think anyone has any seats in the new arena, so I don't think "kick out" is the right terminology.

I would hope that something so trivial wouldn't keep a Marquette alum from donating.

I don't think it'll happen but I am glad they are asking.

If a generous benefactor of the university is currently sitting in the the first few rows, and in the new arena,  he gets moved back in favor of a bunch of boisterous, likely drunk students who force him to stand up for the entire game to see the action, I am sure he would consider it being "kicked out".

And I am certain Joe True (or anyone else in Advancement, for that matter) could tell you about plenty of instances where folks stopped donating (or threatened to stop donating) for far more trivial reasons than that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:00:51 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
The biggest change seems to be extending the three sideline sections (navy blue). On the old map, those three and two purple sections made up the sidelines. The expansion of the navy sections leaves us with the same number of purple sections, though probably narrower and on an angle, but significantly fewer light blue and student sections. Light blue corners, where I am, go from 8 to 4 while the student sections go from 6 to 2 and lose the upper bowl as well.

My guess is the new tax code will impact this significantly. If it passes, we end up with PSLs, higher prices, and no write off.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
Oddly .. I don't believe I was asked a question about putting the students closer to the court.  Maybe because I answered "none of the above" to the pricing questions.

That being said, maybe that sheds some light on the data oddity, whereby the low, center sections have a $300 increase (23%) .. while the same center sections, but high-row have a -5% decrease.  -- Imagine you were in row 12 at the BC, and for $600 in savings you move your seats back 5 rows?  I think a lot of sweater-vesters would take that option.

So now you've got a bunch of people moving back in those center sections, lessening the demand for center-low.   Who fills that gap?  Students could.

Of course, the people sitting behind the students would be furious if they stood the whole game.    Hmm, furious isn't the right word.  Apoplectic?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
Oddly .. I don't believe I was asked a question about putting the students closer to the court.  Maybe because I answered "none of the above" to the pricing questions.

That being said, maybe that sheds some light on the data oddity, whereby the low, center sections have a $300 increase (23%) .. while the same center sections, but high-row have a -5% decrease.  -- Imagine you were in row 12 at the BC, and for $600 in savings you move your seats back 5 rows?  I think a lot of sweater-vesters would take that option.

So now you've got a bunch of people moving back in those center sections, lessening the demand for center-low.   Who fills that gap?  Students could.

Of course, the people sitting behind the students would be furious if they stood the whole game.    Hmm, furious isn't the right word.  Apoplectic?

For Cameron Indoor, isn't the stadium layout designed for students court side? The "second level" for the season ticket holders is elevated so they don't have to stand, but still close enough to be good seats.

Is that how it is at Breslin for Michigan State? Or is an entire side of midcourt just dedicated to students?

As a student, I was all for the premium seating, but was a touch biased. Now, especially after some tough years and lower attendance, I get why those seats shouldn't go to students. I worry about a random Tuesday game where that's empty and just looks awful.

Did the student section get smaller on these layouts? That's too bad if the case. Even if the attendance hasn't been great, I did enjoy the ease of getting tickets at Marquette compared to a big state school.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »

I totally get that and obviously I was being a bit sarcastic but my point stands: The way this was put out really just shows how they misjudge their fan base in terms of what they are looking for and are willing to pay for MUBB.

Left unsaid so far in this thread is that any of these potential funding initiatives really ramp up the pressure on the coach and athletics department. If you ask a long time ticket holder now on a fixed income to fork over $10k for PSLs and $2500 yearly for his seats, you damn well better be prepared to win every day. The Vesties are going to raise a ruckus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
Did the student section get smaller on these layouts? That's too bad if the case. Even if the attendance hasn't been great, I did enjoy the ease of getting tickets at Marquette compared to a big state school.

It did and it should. In the BC there are 4000 student tickets which represents 50% of the undergrad student population, that's insane. Limit the student section to 1000 students, increase demand and enthusiasm, create a preference program where you get benefits or better seats the more often they use their tickets, etc. Keeping the student section numbers low also increases available inventory for people who pay market value meaning more revenue.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
I totally get that and obviously I was being a bit sarcastic but my point stands: The way this was put out really just shows how they misjudge their fan base in terms of what they are looking for and are willing to pay for MUBB.

Left unsaid so far in this thread is that any of these potential funding initiatives really ramp up the pressure on the coach and athletics department. If you ask a long time ticket holder now on a fixed income to fork over $10k for PSLs and $2500 yearly for his seats, you damn well better be prepared to win every day. The Vesties are going to raise a ruckus.

It is interesting times for MU because they are being squeezed on both sides now. For years, because Herb Kohl was meh on the whole making money off MU thing, MU got away with very reasonable pricing for season tickets. Those days are gone so now they have very tough sledding on the cost side plus they have a double whammy on the revenue side of a fan base use to affordable seats and being unwilling to fork over money for a middling product.

Winning cures all, but MU better be really really sure they are going to win big over the next couple of years or some of this pricing strategies could be disastrous.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »

You make an excellent point.  It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.  MU has one shot to get this right.  Take too big an apple bite, especially with 5th place basketball, and shoot fundraising in the foot for a decade just when Mike wants to start a major campaign.  And it's not just Athletics.  Many of us have particular passions at MU that would be hampered if we were unceremoniously 'kicked out' of Chaluparena.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »
I'm still sort of amazed that financing for this thing was able to be approved without the terms of the building second biggest tenant being hashed out
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
I wonder if Bill Scholl is reading this thread right now? 

Hi Bill, see you tomorrow.   ;D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
I'm still sort of amazed that financing for this thing was able to be approved without the terms of the building second biggest tenant being hashed out

Why, state doesn't care as long as Bucks stay....they don't care about MU

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
It is interesting times for MU because they are being squeezed on both sides now. For years, because Herb Kohl was meh on the whole making money off MU thing, MU got away with very reasonable pricing for season tickets. Those days are gone so now they have very tough sledding on the cost side plus they have a double whammy on the revenue side of a fan base use to affordable seats and being unwilling to fork over money for a middling product.

Winning cures all, but MU better be really really sure they are going to win big over the next couple of years or some of this pricing strategies could be disastrous.

Marquette should try to sell it in a way that makes it clear that MU tickets have been very affordable (true or not) for a long time.  And to keep up with the pricing structures that other universities are accustomed to and to accommodate for the new pricing in the brand new state of the art arena prices will need to increase.  State that it will be a gradual increase over the next 5 years instead of a 30% increase next year. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
For Cameron Indoor, isn't the stadium layout designed for students court side? The "second level" for the season ticket holders is elevated so they don't have to stand, but still close enough to be good seats.

Is that how it is at Breslin for Michigan State? Or is an entire side of midcourt just dedicated to students?

The problem is that the arena won't be designed with students in mind but rather the Bucks. This is why an on campus arena for most games would be ideal (see Villanova). I can't see the Bucks creating elevation for our 16-18 games when their concern is the 41+ they play where the elevation would be of no benefit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
It did and it should. In the BC there are 4000 student tickets which represents 50% of the undergrad student population, that's insane. Limit the student section to 1000 students, increase demand and enthusiasm, create a preference program where you get benefits or better seats the more often they use their tickets, etc. Keeping the student section numbers low also increases available inventory for people who pay market value meaning more revenue.
I know that the program has changed and the early 80s are forever ago, but I hated that I could only get tickets to half the season. I was able to get into some of the other half as the Color Guard and then find some others from friends but still watched or listened to a few too many home games. I am a STH so I guess it worked from the univeristy's perspective but it felt wrong at the time and would hate to see current students have the same fate.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
You guys do understand that there's a huge segment of MKE that still bitches that parking downtown has hit $10?  They need to be damn careful. 

This ain't Chicago, LA or New York and last time I checked LeBron or Steph aren't on the team.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
I still wonder if it would make any sense, financially, to only rent the new arena for 3/4 of the games, and play the winter break-Savannah State games at the AL.  In short, reduce expenditures by 25% and only lose 10-15% revenue.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »
Marquette should try to sell it in a way that makes it clear that MU tickets have been very affordable (true or not) for a long time.  And to keep up with the pricing structures that other universities are accustomed to and to accommodate for the new pricing in the brand new state of the art arena prices will need to increase.  State that it will be a gradual increase over the next 5 years instead of a 30% increase next year.

This, MU needs to ease into the pricing increases....I have no doubt that pricing needs to go up, but don't do it all at once.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »
I know that the program has changed and the early 80s are forever ago, but I hated that I could only get tickets to half the season. I was able to get into some of the other half as the Color Guard and then find some others from friends but still watched or listened to a few too many home games. I am a STH so I guess it worked from the univeristy's perspective but it felt wrong at the time and would hate to see current students have the same fate.

What was the ratio of students to tickets in the early 80s? Additionally, demand was way up because we were only 4 or 5 years removed from an NC....I'd love to have students with that problem soon!!! :)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
The problem is that the arena won't be designed with students in mind but rather the Bucks. This is why an on campus arena for most games would be ideal (see Villanova). I can't see the Bucks creating elevation for our 16-18 games when their concern is the 41+ they play where the elevation would be of no benefit.

Definitely. Just wondering if there's any places that have students on the side without having any sort of elevation change and the typical arena layout. Or if they just give students that side to eliminate the issue of season ticket holders having to stand.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
You guys do understand that there's a huge segment of MKE that still bitches that parking downtown has hit $10?  They need to be damn careful. 

This ain't Chicago, LA or New York and last time I checked LeBron or Steph aren't on the team.

No, but one of the biggest stars in the NBA plays here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
No, but one of the biggest stars in the NBA plays here.

But not for MU who is potentially asking for a 30-45% increase in ticket pricing to play in an arena to watch a team that doesn't have a Giannis or Lebron on it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »

We disagree brother.  At 4000 (50% of undergrads) you still only utilize 21% of the current building capacity that fills exactly one time a year.  At 1000 that's down to 6% of the new building using rough numbers.  You basically said 'students aren't welcome'. 

The reason for split plans back in my day was that every game had exactly 11,052 fans in their seats.  I think, but don't recall specifically, that the student allotment was maybe 1500, fully 13% of a jam packed building where every single seat could have been an alum STH.  For every student you sold a ticket to, one alum couldn't get one.  So we 'doubled' that by going to 1/2 packages rather than camping out.  Now what MU is probably doing is seeing how many student season tickets they sell (let's say 3,000) and capping it at that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:08:32 AM by jsglow »