[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette NBA Thread  (Read 457831 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Marquette NBA Thread
« Reply #1375 on: August 10, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
Mixed bag from DJ tonight. Scored in double figures and had some nice steals and assists, but he had at least a half-dozen turnovers. Bouknight had a boatload of TOs for Charlotte too. Davion Mitchell had a good game for Sacraments.

Those six turnovers sound familiar.  DJ working every day as a G League Pro will help him clean up his ball handling and allow time to develop his three game. The dude has the talent...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: August 10, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
Those six turnovers sound familiar.  DJ working every day as a G League Pro will help him clean up his ball handling and allow time to develop his three game. The dude has the talent...

Yes, although I really like DJ's potential and selfishly wish he were still at MU, I admit that the turnover parade made me say, "Welp, we've seen that before!" I do think it's "cure-able," though, and I agree with you that working with good coaches and fellow pros will help him immensely.

Can he make it to the NBA? I'm not sure. But after seeing Juan and Buycks and a few others make it, I sure won't say it can't happen!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1377 on: August 10, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
DJ looks like one of those guys who's going to have to spend a couple years down in the G League or in Europe working on his game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in an NBA rotation someday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: August 10, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »
DJ looks like one of those guys who's going to have to spend a couple years down in the G League or in Europe working on his game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in an NBA rotation someday.

Which was probably his fate whether he stayed at MU or not. Just as another data point that shows he was probably right to move on from a financial/development perspective.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1379 on: August 10, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »

He has NBA athleticism, but what other NBA skills do you see? Ball-handling, passing, shooting, defense are all below NBA level. With other skills still undeveloped, defense becomes more important. As of now, I don't see his D as good enough to warrant a roster spot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: August 10, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
He has NBA athleticism, but what other NBA skills do you see? Ball-handling, passing, shooting, defense are all below NBA level. With other skills still undeveloped, defense becomes more important. As of now, I don't see his D as good enough to warrant a roster spot.

DJ is aggressive and athletic on offense, and also a willing defender who has a nose for the ball. He also has an "NBA body." He needs improvements in all aspects of his game, but especially ballhandling, decision-making and shooting.

He's a long-shot for the NBA with lots of holes in his game, but so is everybody at his level. So was Juan, so was Buycks, so was Crawford, etc etc etc. A big "we'll see."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: August 10, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »
DJ is aggressive and athletic on offense, and also a willing defender who has a nose for the ball. He also has an "NBA body." He needs improvements in all aspects of his game, but especially ballhandling, decision-making and shooting.

He's a long-shot for the NBA with lots of holes in his game, but so is everybody at his level. So was Juan, so was Buycks, so was Crawford, etc etc etc. A big "we'll see."

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the league in 2-3 years. As you say, he has the body  and there are skills there to work with.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1382 on: August 10, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »

I'm not picking on you, but its the difference in the thinking of the 80s-90s NBA versus now.  Its beyond DJ Carton as the player now, and what he projects to.  His flashes and high points are NBA caliber, and that is what is focused on and why he's scouted/projected as an NBA player.

Say you need to be an 8-8.5 to play in the NBA.  The NBA is gonna be intrigued byand writers project the 19-20 year old player that flashes 8.5+ even if they are inconsistent, compared to the 23 year old complete 8 who likely is around their peak for any number of reasons. 

Look at Bruce Bowen, look at Nassir Little, look at Kevin Porter Jr., look at how unfinished Steven Adams was at Pitt.  Countless guys who were not anywhere near NBA level on a consistent basis in college but projected out.

Of course Carton isn't ready to be an NBA PG and play real minutes, but there were a bunch of plays he made last year that made you go WHOA.  And it wasn't just being a good athlete. His game will improve by leaps and bounds when thats his full time only job.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: August 10, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
Hauser did not look the least bit out of place in the Celtics game tonight. I only saw bits and pieces, but during the times I watched, he swished a 3 from the baseline, missed a trail 3 off the back iron, grabbed a handful of rebounds and was always where he was supposed to be on defense.

His outing didn’t leave me swooning, but it also didn’t leave me saying, “This guy doesn’t belong.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1384 on: August 11, 2021, 10:37:18 AM »
Is Hauser a Marquette player playing in the NBA or a guy who quit on his Marquette teammates and fan base?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: August 11, 2021, 10:48:22 AM »
Is Hauser a Marquette player playing in the NBA or a guy who quit on his Marquette teammates and fan base?

Yeah ... fine line.

Played hard, played injured and mostly played well for 3 years at MU. If one wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, one can say he got caught in a no-win situation and had to choose family over MU for his senior season.

I also forgot there was a specific Hauser thread on the Superbar, so in the future it's probably best to post this stuff there anyway.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
I believe I've said this before but the vision of this thread was for players who completed their final year of CBB at MU (DJ, Vander, Carlino, Henry) or have MU degrees before grad transferring (Duane) that are in the NBA, GLeague, or Summer League.

That does not include the Hausers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: August 11, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »
Eye'm guessin' if ya ax Sam, heed sai he's a Cavalier, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: August 11, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »
I believe I've said this before but the vision of this thread was for players who completed their final year of CBB at MU (DJ, Vander, Carlino, Henry) or have MU degrees before grad transferring (Duane) that are in the NBA, GLeague, or Summer League.

Agreed—-they are quitters. Don’t give a sheet about either of them.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: August 11, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »

True, but fans and schools are going to lay claim to any former player who does well in the NBA. If I remember correctly, Carlino came from BYU so they will claim him as well. Both Maryland and Marquette will claim Morsell if he plays in the NBA. Maybe its time to expand the "vision" of this thread and include Sam Hauser. Three years here and we are going to disown him? With the new transfer rules there will be even more players "shared" by two schools. I'm good with laying partial claim to Sam.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: August 11, 2021, 11:59:51 AM »

And if you axed a Cavalier phan about Sam, heed probly say, “Hoo?” hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: August 11, 2021, 01:28:09 PM »

Dr. Ebonics:

He's trying to be a Celtic, not a Cavalier.

Though in college he won exactly as many NCAA tournament games as a Cavalier as he did as a Warrior Eagle.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: August 11, 2021, 01:29:40 PM »
Yes, der iz a Santa Klaws, Virginia, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: August 11, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
True, but fans and schools are going to lay claim to any former player who does well in the NBA. If I remember correctly, Carlino came from BYU so they will claim him as well. Both Maryland and Marquette will claim Morsell if he plays in the NBA. Maybe its time to expand the "vision" of this thread and include Sam Hauser. Three years here and we are going to disown him? With the new transfer rules there will be even more players "shared" by two schools. I'm good with laying partial claim to Sam.

Luckily there's a lovely Hauser thread for that debate. I think of it like this, was Deonte Burton on the wall at the AL when he was in the NBA? Nope.

I think if some people want to "claim Sam" go for it but that opens up a lot of flood gates what about Haanif? Joey? Steve Taylor? A definitive definition for Marquette guys being degree getters or finishing their college career seems the best bet for me.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1394 on: August 11, 2021, 02:38:38 PM »
If Hauser was from Milwaukee Washington, no one would care
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: August 11, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »
I'm not picking on you, but its the difference in the thinking of the 80s-90s NBA versus now.  Its beyond DJ Carton as the player now, and what he projects to.  His flashes and high points are NBA caliber, and that is what is focused on and why he's scouted/projected as an NBA player.

Say you need to be an 8-8.5 to play in the NBA.  The NBA is gonna be intrigued byand writers project the 19-20 year old player that flashes 8.5+ even if they are inconsistent, compared to the 23 year old complete 8 who likely is around their peak for any number of reasons. 

Look at Bruce Bowen, look at Nassir Little, look at Kevin Porter Jr., look at how unfinished Steven Adams was at Pitt.  Countless guys who were not anywhere near NBA level on a consistent basis in college but projected out.

Of course Carton isn't ready to be an NBA PG and play real minutes, but there were a bunch of plays he made last year that made you go WHOA.  And it wasn't just being a good athlete. His game will improve by leaps and bounds when thats his full time only job.

I think we are agreeing here. I said he was not NBA ready other than athleticism, but the other skills were there (not fully)to be developed. I have also argued many times in this thread and others that a player's college or stats are really pretty meaningless. Everything is based on what the player projects to be when fully developed. None of DJs skills are totally broken, but they all need refinement. A year or two in the G League could do wonders for him Or not. We will see.

I watched the Bucks summer league team today and I really like the Georgios Kalaitzakis kid. Very refined game compared to most guys in the 2nd round or FAs. Great size - 6'7" for a '2'. Without any practice, he stepped on the floor today and looked like he knew what he wanted to do. Needs a year or two to add 10-15 pounds and some strength.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: August 12, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »
Speaking of Hauser, led the Celtics in scoring tonight 21 points, 4 rebounds 7 assists on 7-12 (6-10 from 3)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1397 on: August 12, 2021, 08:38:52 PM »
Speaking of Hauser, led the Celtics in scoring tonight 21 points, 4 rebounds 7 assists on 7-12 (6-10 from 3)
Too bad we got little brother to MU...
Goal is National Championship

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1398 on: August 12, 2021, 10:15:55 PM »
Markus Howard hasn't played in the summer league yet. He's got covid and may miss the whole season/session

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: August 12, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »
Markus Howard hasn't played in the summer league yet. He's got covid and may miss the whole season/session

Have you seen it announced that he actually has COVID?  I saw he's in protocols.  He was in protocol back in March but that was due to contact tracing.  A bunch of Nuggets are out so I wonder if its the same issue

feedback