[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122702 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #625 on: February 23, 2018, 09:41:25 PM »
Interesting Dish.  I never had to work with what I would describe as a sales person.  My experience was always with the practicing professional, usually attorneys, accountants, and various service providers like real estate or liquidation professionals.  I was always the client.  I would almost never accept an invitation from someone who didn't have an existing relationship with us.  Heck, I wouldn't even take a 15 minute meeting unless you were referred by a trusted colleague.  Frankly, being entertained is mostly a drag and I avoided it as much as possible.  An occasional ballgame was great but I avoided the golf course like the plague, mostly because I sucked. But we operated in a pretty high tension/stress environment and so grabbing a bite to eat during a tough day and chatting about your kids was always welcome. I never once asked a service provider for anything and I never had someone offer something I considered unprofessional.  That said, I always had the courtside seats for the Miami Heat, all the way back to Wade's rookie year. 

I do remember once being the guest of one of my close attorneys who, in turn was the guest of the BK Court appointed Trustee.  I recall the Trustee later complaining that I was questioning his billing as 'excessive' on a particular BK case saying 'I took that guy to a Bears playoff game.  What's he griping about?'  Hey dude, creditors are entitled to that coin and expect you not to freakin' waste it.  Sure stuff costs money, but not that much money.  Crap like that bothered me.

I find this stuff equally as interesting, different industries and perspectives. I always knew the amount of expenses we committed to this client was crazy, but we had to do it. We weren't a big name company, and the big boy IT companies completely blew us out of the water in what they would spend.

One big name networking company hired "models" to come work for them one day on the sales floor of this client. To be fair, most of my sales competition was fairly attractive young women, but this particular instance was off the charts. It was the only time I recall another vendor getting their hand slapped by the client.

Last quick tidbit, my company was spec'd into a decent size deal once. It was good margin for the client (who was selling it to a school). In addition we spiff'd the product, and we had a contest for a trip to Antigua that we sponsored, that this deal virtually guaranteed the rep would win one of the spots for. I'll never forget the rep came to me right before the deal was to close and said with an ice cold demeanor "what are you going to do for me here? If nothing, I'll never work with you again". I didn't do anything for the rep, and happily never worked with that rep again.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #626 on: February 23, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »
I'm not well-versed on how all this works from a legal standpoint.

Besides losing his job, could Miller be looking at jail time?

What would be the charge?

If it's not a legal/illegal-type thing, why would the FBI even be involved?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #627 on: February 23, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
I'm thinking MU's NCAA possibilities just got better.  Some slots about to open up.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #628 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »

That's a big part of this.  Really he isn't looking at jail time.  He may lose his job, he already made millions and millions of dollars.

What is the disincentive to cheating?  You retire early, richer than your wildest dreams?  Even then, even Dave Bliss was able to get back into coaching.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #629 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »
I'm thinking MU's NCAA possibilities just got better.  Some slots about to open up.

Why? I asked in the other thread. Are there examples out there of immediate punishment? If this is a legal issue with the feds, that takes time. If it's an NCAA violation, that takes time in committees and such.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #630 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
First loosely associated MU connection came out in the emails Yahoo just released this evening concerning former assistant Dwayne Stephens. To be clear, the information is about his time now at Michigan State.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #631 on: February 23, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
I don't see the NCAA moving fast enough to sanction any teams in time for the tournament. But I do wonder if some teams might self sanction in an attempt to soften the coming banhammer.

Players getting meals paid for by agents? Could see the NCAA ignoring that. Coach caught on wiretap discussing sending 100K to a recruit? Not even the NCAA can sidestep that one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #632 on: February 23, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »
I don't see the NCAA moving fast enough to sanction any teams in time for the tournament. But I do wonder if some teams might self sanction in an attempt to soften the coming banhammer.

Players getting meals paid for by agents? Could see the NCAA ignoring that. Coach caught on wiretap discussing sending 100K to a recruit? Not even the NCAA can sidestep that one.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Further, the NCAA is going to have their hands full going through all of this. It isn't just the Miller thing. This will all take a LONG time.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #633 on: February 23, 2018, 10:27:32 PM »
First loosely associated MU connection came out in the emails Yahoo just released this evening concerning former assistant Dwayne Stephens. To be clear, the information is about his time now at Michigan State.

https://sports.yahoo.com/black-market-diaries-emails-hoops-corruption-case-detail-inner-workings-sports-underbelly-030605930.html

Money to high schoolers from agents. Teams then steer their current players to agent to get the high schooler to commit. There's the connection to the schools.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #634 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/black-market-diaries-emails-hoops-corruption-case-detail-inner-workings-sports-underbelly-030605930.html

Money to high schoolers from agents. Teams then steer their current players to agent to get the high schooler to commit. There's the connection to the schools.

Drain the Swamp

🏀

• All American
« Reply #635 on: February 23, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »
Arizona message boards are already accepting their program is over. It's quite sad.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #636 on: February 23, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Further, the NCAA is going to have their hands full going through all of this. It isn't just the Miller thing. This will all take a LONG time.

While I agree with you, if we're still at the beginning, the NCAA might have to do something unprecedented.

I think Arizona fires Miller tomorrow, Ayton is sent home. Probably should just remove themselves from consideration.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #637 on: February 23, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
Seems like Crean might be involved in the IU stuff too.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #639 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »
Stephens was here from 99-03.   Does anyone think he gave Joe Chapman cash?   No one on those teams would’ve been in high-major recruiting battles.   This all seems to be from his time w Izzo.   

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #640 on: February 23, 2018, 10:48:15 PM »
While I agree with you, if we're still at the beginning, the NCAA might have to do something unprecedented.

I think Arizona fires Miller tomorrow, Ayton is sent home. Probably should just remove themselves from consideration.

Have to wonder if Arizona just imposes a post season ban on itself immediately. If you're them, why not do it now? You're going to fire your coach any minute, your team is pretty good (not great), try to get out in front of this now rather than later.

🏀

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #642 on: February 23, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Stephens was here from 99-03.   Does anyone think he gave Joe Chapman cash?   No one on those teams would’ve been in high-major recruiting battles.   This all seems to be from his time w Izzo.   

I thought both Scott Merritt and Steve Novak had major programs after them.  Wasn't Merritt offered by UK?  And I'm pretty sure Novak was considering UNC and Florida.

Not saying that means we did anything wrong, but those seem like high-major recruiting battles.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #643 on: February 23, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »
Have to wonder if Arizona just imposes a post season ban on itself immediately. If you're them, why not do it now? You're going to fire your coach any minute, your team is pretty good (not great), try to get out in front of this now rather than later.

If MU gets involved to the degree Arizona is, I would hope Schol pulls the team out of everything. Finish your conference games and stay home. No conference tournament either.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #644 on: February 23, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »
Izzo retires, right? The fall from grace for that guy, rough year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:09:51 PM by PTM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #645 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »
If MU gets involved to the degree Arizona is, I would hope Schol pulls the team out of everything. Finish your conference games and stay home. No conference tournament either.

The irony is Buzz took things to the line always (Mayo), but backed off when it went over (Newbill)? JUCOs helped? Really?

Wojo is relatively clean so Scholls no worry.

Crean is squirmy when he left MU...Chicos?  Just like your time at Kansas?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #646 on: February 23, 2018, 11:41:19 PM »
Why? I asked in the other thread. Are there examples out there of immediate punishment? If this is a legal issue with the feds, that takes time. If it's an NCAA violation, that takes time in committees and such.

My thought process is they try to get ahead of it.  Schools often attempt self punishment in the hopes that lessens the blow from the NCAA.  If several of these schools fire coaches and withdraw consideration from the tournament this year as part of their self imposed punishment, it will open up bids.  I believe we can still get in on our own, but that was my thinking.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #647 on: February 23, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »

Tax Fraud?

If it's gonna take down the most powerful people in the country, it can take down some little fish in the sports world.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #648 on: February 23, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
Yep.  Quickly turning into a something burger.
I don't know why the surprise. There had been guilty pleas, wiretaps that ended up in the Pitino firing. There where a lot of clues that big things were coming. FBI will go for bribery/blackmail, tax evasion, money laundering and they will include interstate commerce interference (they love this one and it is really easy once you use internet, cellphones, social media)
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #649 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »
I don't know why the surprise. There had been guilty pleas, wiretaps that ended up in the Pitino firing. There where a lot of clues that big things were coming. FBI will go for bribery/blackmail, tax evasion, money laundering and they will include interstate commerce interference (they love this one and it is really easy once you use internet, cellphones, social media)

Agreed.  I've thought all along this could be pretty big.