[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122728 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »

Here's 2 words for you. TAX EVASION

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wpEaFmK3lrY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wpEaFmK3lrY</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »
Do we think Crean wants to go through that again? Maybe it's the only way he gets somewhere with Louisville's prestige though.

Also, the way that the NCAA took away some of Penn Stte's penalties, it may make things a little easier if that's a precedent, but still an uphill battle.

Penn State was a totally different situation.  The NCAA was violating them for things that while illegal were not violations of NCAA regulations since the illegalities did not involve management of athletics.  Penn State had a strong case and threatened to go to court.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »

Here's 2 words for you. TAX EVASION

Exactly, all these people are filng out 1040s every January listing their payments and paying taxes on it?

Bowen will be listing $100k On his 2017 1040 and paying the government something around $35k to $40k of that in Taxes?  If not it’s jail time

And Adidas or Louisville Or whoever paid him $100K is filling out a 1099 for the payment for 2017 And filing it with the IRS?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:16:01 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
Exactly, all these people are filng out 1040s every January listing their payments and paying taxes on it?

Bowen will be listing 100k On his 2017 1040 and paying the government something around $35 to $40,000 of that in Taxes?  If not it’s jail time

The defense?  "Well, no one sent me a 1099, so...."
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »

Bowen will be listing 100k On his 2017 1040 and paying the government something around $35 to $40,000 of that in Taxes?  If not it’s jail time

A couple things:

If this is from Adidas, would there be any illegality on the part of Pitino/Louisville?
Perhaps people are very generous...they were understood to be gifts.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
A couple things:

If this is from Adidas, would there be any illegality on the part of Pitino/Louisville?

If Adidas gave the kid's family $100,000, who do you think told the family to "keep it on the DL"?

If Pitino knew about it, he's toast.  The family may have thought it was a gift, but Pitino knew damn well that it wasn't.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
A couple things:

Please tell me your joking????

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:42 AM »
The defense?  "Well, no one sent me a 1099, so...."

Doesn’t matter. Did Bowen also estimate his withholdings on June 15 and September 15 and pay that amount so he doesn’t incur further penalties raising his overall tax burden?  These are offenses that can lead you to going to prison.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:22:52 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
That is interesting language, and it might do the trick.  I'd really like to see the contract.  I'm looking for it.

The real question, from my perspective, is how does the contract define "for cause" (or whatever similar phrase used to identify that contact).  That will be very specific language.  The language the article quoted might be from that section.  I don't know.  But, it sounds kind of like "duties and responsibilities" language.  Until I see the contract -- or at least full sections of it -- I'm going to withhold judgment on whether his discharge under the current set of facts violates his contract.

Ultimately, that will be a key question in all of this.  I have absolutely no dispute with anyone who says that Pitino deserved to be fired.  Unquestionably, he was.  The question in my mind is whether the discharge was carried out in a manner that was in compliance with his contract.  I have absolutely no idea at this point because I haven't reviewed the contract.  And without doing that, all I'm really doing when I comment on their relative bargaining strength is speculating.

It was.  The FBI has a Louisville assistant basketball coach on tape in Las Vegas talking about paying a recruit.  Also, another Louisville coach (possibly Rick himself) saying that Adidas takes care of guys for them (or something close to that).  See the contract language regarding Pitino's responsibility for the actions of all who report to him as well as the obligation to create an ethical environment.

It was incredibily arrogant of Pitino not to run as far away as he could from the Bowen recruitment given the circumstances.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
To be fair, I don't think the Bowen's got all of the $100,000 up front. Good grief.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20836549
Dickie on Ricky.  Predictable.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
To be fair, I don't think the Bowen's got all of the $100,000 up front. Good grief.

If you get any of it in cash, as in paper bills, in more than $10,000 increments, that violated the patriot act.   That’s 10 years in prison seazing of assets of not only him and his parents but also jail time for whoever gave them the money.

They send swat teams in Kevlar with A.R. 15’s to stick in your face when you start getting in this game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

Bowen will be listing $100k On his 2017 1040 and paying the government something around $35k to $40k of that in Taxes?  If not it’s jail time

And Adidas or Louisville Or whoever paid him $100K is filling out a 1099 for the payment for 2017 And filing it with the IRS?

Weren't you arguing yesterday that this was a simple NCAA issue?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
Doesn’t matter. Did Bowen also estimate his withholdings on June 15 and September 15 and pay that amount so he doesn’t incur further penalties raising his overall tax burden?  These are offenses that can lead you to going to prison.

No they are not. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »

Actually that was better than I thought it would be.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
Actually that was better than I thought it would be.

Agreed.  That's probably the only interview with Dick Vitale every that I'd be willing to listen to again.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
I haven't cross-checked most of the coaches' histories to see what other schools (and specifically, Big East schools) could be implicated if these coaches start singing, but Emanuel Richardson was an assistant at Xavier with Sean Miller before following him to Arizona.  Hopefully X is clean.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »

To me, it sounded like Dick Vitale is do heartbroken that he threw Coach K under the bus for cheating. That sure sounded like a Marvin Bagley indictment to me...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
It was.  The FBI has a Louisville assistant basketball coach on tape in Las Vegas talking about paying a recruit.  Also, another Louisville coach (possibly Rick himself) saying that Adidas takes care of guys for them (or something close to that).  See the contract language regarding Pitino's responsibility for the actions of all who report to him as well as the obligation to create an ethical environment.

It was incredibily arrogant of Pitino not to run as far away as he could from the Bowen recruitment given the circumstances.

I found what I think is the current contract.  As I suspected, the language quoted in that article is from his duties section.  And it goes on to define a long list of things he has to do in connection  with that.  But, the definition of "just cause" is fairly strong, as I expected it would be.

Listen, I can't stand Pitino.  I think he's a scumbag, and is finally getting what's coming to him.  But, like many, many coaches before him, he has a contract that makes it difficult to fire him without paying him out.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
Can't see how anyone but Crean isn't named interim coach. Louisville can't name an interim coach from the current staff.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
If Adidas gave the kid's family $100,000, who do you think told the family to "keep it on the DL"?

If Pitino knew about it, he's toast.  The family may have thought it was a gift, but Pitino knew damn well that it wasn't.

But there are two things going on here:  obvious and blatant NCAA violations and violations of the law.  I'm merely asking questions.  Even if they gave the kid a t-shirt, they'd tell him to "keep in on the DL."  Because they were already on probation and they don't want more trouble with the NCAA. 

But is it illegal?  That's what I'm asking?  If Adidas paid this kid money, did Pitino break the law?  One of the main reasons I'm asking is that based on my understanding of what happened yesterday (which may be wrong---that's why I'm asking) the people who got arrested were involved in taking bribes to steer NBA-bound college players; not for paying recruits (even though at least one did both).  I find myself wondering why the Louisville coach who apparently is on video making these arrangements and asking that they be kept "on the DL" was not arrested.  He seemed concerned about the NCAA and the probation, not the FBI.

Again, I'm only asking.

Edited to add:  I am aware that if Adidas broke the law and Pitino was aware of and/or involved in it, he is probably screwed on conspiracy.  But he might have plausible deniability.  That might not be good enough under his contract depending upon how language quoted up-thread is interpreted.  But it might keep him out of the FBI's net...for now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:20:37 PM by StillAWarrior »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »
Agreed.  That's probably the only interview with Dick Vitale every that I'd be willing to listen to again.
Yeah, I expected that Dickie would have given Pitino the Porcini's treatment. 
Predictable in his outrage that something like this could happen. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »

Please tell me your joking????

No.  I'm not.  That kid's family might well have two options at this point.  Claim the income and pay taxes (it probably was in 2017).  Claim it was a gift.  Obviously, it wasn't, and they should probably come clean.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2017, 12:16:07 PM »
Can't see how anyone but Crean isn't named interim coach. Louisville can't name an interim coach from the current staff.
How about JTIII?  (However, current team would be playing an entirely different style than what they came to Louisville for).
Crean seems like he could fit - despite me joking about it a few pages back.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
Sorry...somehow double-posted.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:22:01 PM by StillAWarrior »