[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 122629 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
Where's the update on UNC?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
I think Merl was w Nike EYBL for years, but now is with adidas... involved w/Karolina Khaos perhaps
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
Well, the good news out of this is that MU is no longer a bubble team. Just moved up at least six spots.

I actually did laugh out loud at this.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
Thank god we're not an adidas school.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
Sounds like the NCAA should have been on top of this, but they weren't.  But it also sounds like actual crimes were committed, so the FBI should get involved.  Other typical NCAA investigations are looking into violations of NCAA rules, which usually, those violations are just to the NCAA rules and not federal crimes.

Bribery and corruption are serious charges and punishment should not be contained to just within the NCAA.
Maybe they referred it to the FBI. Breaking NCAA rules is not necessarily criminal. NCAA may of had inklings about illegal activity and possibly turned it over to FBI.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
Wasn't Wisconsin an Adidas school until a year ago?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
Maybe they referred it to the FBI. Breaking NCAA rules is not necessarily criminal. NCAA may of had inklings about illegal activity and possibly turned it over to FBI.

I doubt it, it's the NCAA. They will do anything to save face. And you know what the worst part of this is? Some athletes are going to be screwed over and you know the NCAA wont do a damn thing about it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
Wasn't Wisconsin an Adidas school until a year ago?

Ain't no bahdee paid for anyone on day roster ernah?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
Michigan State, a one time leader for Bowen, is breathing a sigh of relief.  They can go forward as a top contender for a national title without worrying about a shoe dropping

"After dropping out of Brian Bowen’s recruitment late in the process, Michigan State basketball looked to have dodged a major bullet."

https://spartanavenue.com/2017/09/26/michigan-state-basketball-brian-bowen-allegedly-accepted-bribe/

Article doesn't make much sense.  If Izzo's recruitment of Bowen was above-board, why would Sparty need to breathe a sigh of relief?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
That tweet is taken WAAAY out of context. It left out the end of the interview:

"... We spent zero dollars recruiting a five star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been.  Wink wink.  And when I say wink wink, I mean we spent many dollars. Directly to him and his family.  Wait... let's edit that last part out, OK?"
The quote is probably accurate. Pitino did not spend any of his money or any of Louisville's money to recruit Bowen. They did not have to, because a shoe company did. The real question is whether Pitino knew what was going on.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
Ain't no bahdee paid for anyone on day roster ernah?

I told you not to call me Ernah.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
"We were shocked to learn this morning through news reports about the FBI investigation and arrests related to NCAA basketball programs, including the arrest of USC assistant coach Tony Bland," USC athletic director Lynn Swann said in a Tuesday statement. "USC Athletics maintains the highest standards in athletic compliance across all of our programs...except when we don't which when you really think about it is a lot of the time, but we try we really do try. "
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
Thank god we're not an adidas school.

I just hope we haven't been engaged in these activities regardless of the shoe company we use.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
The quote is probably accurate. Pitino did not spend any of his money or any of Louisville's money to recruit Bowen. They did not have to, because a shoe company did. The real question is whether Pitino knew what was going on.
Not sure how much it’ll matter if they can prove Pitino knew about it. Program is already on probation and they have hard proof of a UL assistant arranging to pay a recruit. Pitino will be out and I imagine the AD will go with him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
I doubt it, it's the NCAA. They will do anything to save face. And you know what the worst part of this is? Some athletes are going to be screwed over and you know the NCAA wont do a damn thing about it.
No athletes are going to get screwed over. They all know that, if they are caught, accepting money would make them ineligible.

burger

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
With 20 years on some of these Federal charges.....

There will be guys with diarrhea of the mouth to get sentences reduced.....

If found guilty.....A federal charge is a "mandatory" 85% "serve time".....

With multiple mail fraud across state lines....There are guys looking at 3 digit terms.....

Sing....Sing....Sing....

What the NCAA will try and guard against is racketeering charges when these guys flip.....

This could not be any better for a clean program and for NCAA basketball and football.....

If the NCAA was not going to clean things up....Sounds like the FEDS want to.....

It has been pretty obvious for a number of years....when programs like N.C., Syracuse, and Louisville get only a slap on the hands.....And with Kentucky pay off program detailed by the Chicago Tribune......The NCAA is basically FIFA.....

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
I believe they said in the press conference that NCAA was not privy to any of the FBI's information, investigations, or the arrests.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in Emmert's office when all this dropped this morning.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
Most interesting part of the FBI presser was them admitting they are still actively investigating and encouraging coaches to call the FBI with info, before the FBI calls them. Almost like a pre-plea deal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
I don't think there is any upside to stay quiet, since they are almost certainly done in college basketball whether they stay quiet or talk.

Not so sure... see: Pearl, Bruce

EDIT: Ah, hell. Pakuni beat me to it.  No shortage of Pearl jokes around Scoop.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:23:50 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
I wonder if "Book" did this while at Xavier?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
Where's the update on UNC?

All athletic department personnel at UNC-Greensboro are currently in the custody of the FBI on a 48-hour hold pending outcome of the investigation in Chapel Hill.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
I just hope we haven't been engaged in these activities regardless of the shoe company we use.

I would be very surprised if we were involved, especially with Wojo heading the program - but on the off chance we were, I would hope they would all be fired.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
I would be very surprised if we were involved, especially with Wojo heading the program - but on the off chance we were, I would hope they would all be fired.

And I sincerely hope that the majority of us contributing directly to B&G would suspend donations for at least a year or two.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
I believe they said in the press conference that NCAA was not privy to any of the FBI's information, investigations, or the arrests.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in Emmert's office when all this dropped this morning.

In all probability, the FBI either received this case as a referral from the NCAA Investigations branch or thru some sort of confidential informant.  Since DOJ made the New York Office, its office of origin and the Southern District of NY (SDNY) as the district of prosecution, and the fact no coaches from the NY area were charged, I am assuming the start of the investigation is where the money came from.  Going on what I only read, it appears the subjects were indicted, meaning the case evidence was presented to a Federal Grand Jury as opposed to being charged with separate arrest warrants based on criminal complaints.  So witnesses testified and evidence of the criminal acts were presented.

If so, they are charging a few with significant evidence thru the Grand Jury process, then waiting to see which defendants want to be first on the bus to talk and then give up others.   This probably isn't over by a longshot.   

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
In all probability, the FBI either received this case as a referral from the NCAA Investigations branch or thru some sort of confidential informant.  Since DOJ made the New York Office, its office of origin and the Southern District of NY (SDNY) as the district of prosecution, and the fact no coaches from the NY area were charged, I am assuming the start of the investigation is where the money came from.  Going on what I only read, it appears the subjects were indicted, meaning the case evidence was presented to a Federal Grand Jury as opposed to being charged with separate arrest warrants based on criminal complaints.  So witnesses testified and evidence of the criminal acts were presented.

If so, they are charging a few with significant evidence thru the Grand Jury process, then waiting to see which defendants want to be first on the bus to talk and then give up others.   This probably isn't over by a longshot.

It started with an SEC investigation I believe into one of the agents or middlemen. He got pinched and started to squeal.
But I like to throw handfuls...

feedback