[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Interesting Day Ahead...  (Read 120944 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Interesting Day Ahead...
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
This is from the complaint filed...

"At the meeting, AUGUSTINE stated that he expected Company-1 to fund at least a portion of the future payments to Player-11 and/or his family because, referring to a coach for the University-6 men's basketball team ("Coach-2"), "no one swings a bigger dick than [Coach-2]" at Company-1, adding that "all [Coach-2 has to do] is pick up the phone and call somebody, [and say] these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

University 6 is Louisville
Coach 2 is Pitino
Company 11 is Addidas
Player 11 is Bowen

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
All this is crazy. Not surprising, but crazy that they were able to get the dirt. 

The other crazy part is that it is all only addidas it appears.  Which itself is just dumb, there is zero chance that all the other big shoe companies aren't doing the exact same thing, yet no indictments regarding Nike or Under Armor. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
Be interesting to see if these assistant coaches cut plea deals and name names.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
Be interesting to see if these assistant coaches cut plea deals and name names.

I don't think there is any upside to stay quiet, since they are almost certainly done in college basketball whether they stay quiet or talk.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
I don't think there is any upside to stay quiet, since they are almost certainly done in college basketball whether they stay quiet or talk.

I guess it depends on the penalties they are facing.  My guess is there are other opportunities out there, like pro-ball, that may not be available if you take down a legend. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
I'll just put this here...

Just last week, Adidas announced a long-term extension of its deal with the University of Kansas through the year 2031.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/adidas_nike_officials_charged.amp

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
All this is crazy. Not surprising, but crazy that they were able to get the dirt. 

The other crazy part is that it is all only addidas it appears.  Which itself is just dumb, there is zero chance that all the other big shoe companies aren't doing the exact same thing, yet no indictments regarding Nike or Under Armor.

In my experience German companies have a much more relaxed attitude toward moral and illegal activities (think VW/Audi emissions, Siemens bribery, all the illegal shipments to Iran of centrifuges, etc.).  They do not have to worry about shareholder lawsuits, stringent enforcement of FCPA, or worry about public repudiation.

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »

And then there is this tweet, which is just amazing:

https://twitter.com/Efawcett7/status/912686651662417922

That tweet is taken WAAAY out of context. It left out the end of the interview:

"... We spent zero dollars recruiting a five star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been.  Wink wink.  And when I say wink wink, I mean we spent many dollars. Directly to him and his family.  Wait... let's edit that last part out, OK?"

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
All I want to know is one thing: how does this affect Grimes?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
ESPN pretty much buries the Louisville part of the story, with no mention until paragraph 8:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Please no MU... Please no MU...

fjm -

If MU is involved, our problems are much greater than anyone ever could have imagined.

goinUptown

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
I for one am shocked someone connected with Bruce Pearl is caught up in this mess.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
For those who haven't had time to read,  sure anyone have a list of identified schools?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
Some other headlines from around the web:

University of Louisville recruits apparently swept up in a college basketball scandal
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/26/university-louisville-recruits-college-basketball-scandal/703820001/
"Swept up" is a curious way to put it; it implies being forced into some kind of situation that's beyond your control. If you knowingly break the law by accepting a bribe and get caught doing it, I wouldn't call that being "swept up" in a scandal.

Louisville is at the heart of new NCAA corruption scandal (of course it is)
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/louisville-at-the-heart-of-new-ncaa-corruption-scandal-of-course-it-is/
Pitino and scandal are so intertwined at this point, he's become a joke even in his own state.

Rick Pitino quote going viral after Louisville info in FBI probe
http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/Rick-Pitino-quote-going-viral-after-Louisville-info-in-FBI-probe-108007051
With federal charges for bribery and corruption, somebody is doing prison time for this. Possibly 10 years or more. Let's see who gives up who.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
Some other headlines from around the web:

University of Louisville recruits apparently swept up in a college basketball scandal
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/26/university-louisville-recruits-college-basketball-scandal/703820001/
"Swept up" is a curious way to put it; it implies being forced into some kind of situation that's beyond your control. If you knowingly break the law by accepting a bribe and get caught doing it, I wouldn't call that being "swept up" in a scandal. 

In some instances at least, it appears the allegations involve shoe companies and agents paying assistant coaches to steer players in their direction. In which case, it seems "swept up" is fair.
Also, it is illegal to accept money to play for a particular school?

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
For those who haven't had time to read,  sure anyone have a list of identified schools?

Auburn, USC, South Carolina, Ok St., Arizona, Louisville, Miami.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
In some instances at least, it appears the allegations involve shoe companies and agents paying assistant coaches to steer players in their direction. In which case, it seems "swept up" is fair.
Also, it is illegal to accept money to play for a particular school?

In the case of Louisville, the charges describe "payments of $100,000 from a company to the family of an unnamed player to secure his commitment to the school, which is described as a public research university with enrollment of 22,640 located in Kentucky." That's where I question the use of "swept up."

To your question, the only one indicted at the moment is an Adidas rep — not the player who accepted the bribe. So I can't say whether it's illegal to accept money.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 12:48:43 PM »
If Pitino survives this, he'll have an affair, stripper scandal, and bribery charges all on him.

I mean...
And he will still have his Italian idiot, Vitale shilling Ricks greatness.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
In the case of Louisville, the charges describe "payments of $100,000 from a company to the family of an unnamed player to secure his commitment to the school, which is described as a public research university with enrollment of 22,640 located in Kentucky." That's where I question the use of "swept up."

To your question, the only one indicted at the moment is an Adidas rep — not the player who accepted the bribe. So I can't say whether it's illegal to accept money.

I've got to think that Bowen's eligibility is in doubt for at least next year.

Think any ACC presidents are a little red in the face today?

Even though DePaul hired Bowen's HS coach who at least for a while brought along one of his players, I think that they will be fine.  I mean why would any company find it worthwhile to pay a kid to play in the underexposed environment of DePaul?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:58:23 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
There were LOTS of stories on here when a certain coach left, to which someone from MU's compliance posted that they weren't true...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
There were LOTS of stories on here when a certain coach left, to which someone from MU's compliance posted that they weren't true...

LOTS of stories? I don't remember any actual stories, merely Chiconian promises of stories to come that never materialized.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
LOTS of stories? I don't remember any actual stories, merely Chiconian promises of stories to come that never materialized.

I think the thread got deleted...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »

An indictment requires some evidence of wrongdoing.  While you're probably right that all the companies are dong it, it's possible that Adidas has more of a paper trail than the others.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
Michigan State, a one time leader for Bowen, is breathing a sigh of relief.  They can go forward as a top contender for a national title without worrying about a shoe dropping

"After dropping out of Brian Bowen’s recruitment late in the process, Michigan State basketball looked to have dodged a major bullet."

https://spartanavenue.com/2017/09/26/michigan-state-basketball-brian-bowen-allegedly-accepted-bribe/

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.