Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Preseason predictions  (Read 35720 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Preseason predictions
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
Nope. Could have never done it without insanely good 3FG shooting while GUARDED. 100th percentile last season.

As for your break down concerns... I think we may see Sam take giant leaps this year. He's capable.
The guarded 3s came mostly from Markus and Andrew and some from Katin.  Sam, JaJuan, Katin to a large degree and Duane made mostly open treys off passes.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »
The guarded 3s came mostly from Markus and Andrew and some from Katin.  Sam, JaJuan, Katin to a large degree and Duane made mostly open treys off passes.
I do not remember Katin taking an open three. He just shot the ball when ever he wanted to. He almost always dribbled the ball before he shot.
Howard shot open threes. He was open, because his release was so quick. Another player in same situation would not of been open.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »
I do not remember Katin taking an open three. He just shot the ball when ever he wanted to. He almost always dribbled the ball before he shot.
Howard shot open threes. He was open, because his release was so quick. Another player in same situation would not of been open.
  As for Howard, that's kind of a circular argument.  He was still closely guarded.  Katin kind of laid off the guarded 3s as the season progressed.  He did however post up a lot for shots.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
I think Katin took a bunch of open corner threes.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »

JB was being literal when he said MU was in the 100th percentile when it came to making guarded shots. In fact, it was the best team in the country scoring 1.27 PPP on 306 possessions (shooting 42.3% from 3). But contrary to popular belief, the two biggest "culprits" aren't Howard and Rowsey, but Howard and Hauser.

Howard     75 (52% accuracy)
Hauser      69 (43.5%)
Rowsey     51 (43.1%)
Reinhardt  44 (36.4%)

So again, listen to JB. Sam's excellent results on fairly light usage mean he has BIG breakout potential. It's not likely MU stays in the 100th percentile next season, but it will once again be elite in this respect.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
JB was being literal when he said MU was in the 100th percentile when it came to making guarded shots. In fact, it was the best team in the country scoring 1.27 PPP on 306 possessions (shooting 42.3% from 3). But contrary to popular belief, the two biggest "culprits" aren't Howard and Rowsey, but Howard and Hauser.

Howard     75 (52% accuracy)
Hauser      69 (43.5%)
Rowsey     51 (43.1%)
Reinhardt  44 (36.4%)

So again, listen to JB. Sam's excellent results on fairly light usage mean he has BIG breakout potential. It's not likely MU stays in the 100th percentile next season, but it will once again be elite in this respect.

Are you saying the "eye test" was wrong????

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »
I suppose its possible, but they're an injury away from being scary thin.  With transfers these days, I don't really see the point in redshirts.  Its just asking for them to leave later on.  Keep the kid in uniform for this year.

Pre-Froling Depth Chart:

Guards: Rowsey, Cheatham, Howard, Elliott
Forwards: Hauser, Anim, Cain
Bigs: Heldt, John, Eke

If you take Eke away, that's still 9 guys deep, which is deeper than we've been most years since 2001. Not sure how interchangeable everyone is, but if Heldt and John can man the center position with Hauser coming in on small lineups, and John, Hauser, and Cain can hold down the four, it's certainly conceivable that a three-guard lineup could get us through the first six weeks without needing a single minute from Eke.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
A step back this season does not equal Wojo being a bad coach.  An inexperienced team is very difficult to predict.

Agree,. So how long does it take?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »
A step back this season does not equal Wojo being a bad coach.  An inexperienced team is very difficult to predict.

Don't disagree, but a whole lot of teams get good production out of freshmen so we can't just assume because they are freshmen we shouldn't expect much out of them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
Agree,. So how long does it take?

5 years to judge a coach man. I thought everybody knew!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:40 PM »
Pre-Froling Depth Chart:

Guards: Rowsey, Cheatham, Howard, Elliott
Forwards: Hauser, Anim, Cain
Bigs: Heldt, John, Eke

If you take Eke away, that's still 9 guys deep, which is deeper than we've been most years since 2001. Not sure how interchangeable everyone is, but if Heldt and John can man the center position with Hauser coming in on small lineups, and John, Hauser, and Cain can hold down the four, it's certainly conceivable that a three-guard lineup could get us through the first six weeks without needing a single minute from Eke.
I still don't understand your venom and prejudice against Ike. He is very talented and to just assume he is the last guy is flat our flawed analysis. Wojo says the Skys the limit for Ike.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »
Don't disagree, but a whole lot of teams get good production out of freshmen so we can't just assume because they are freshmen we shouldn't expect much out of them.
A lot of time freshmen success is based on opportunity. I think we all agree that Sam had a great freshmen season. The question I have is what would of happened, if Henry did not go pro? Henry (by memory) played 34 minutes a game as a freshmen. Even if he dropped down to 25 minutes a game, it would pretty much regulated Sam to the bench last season. Haanif and Wilson contributed a lot as freshmen, but their roles diminished as the overall team talent increased.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
I still don't understand your venom and prejudice against Ike. He is very talented and to just assume he is the last guy is flat our flawed analysis. Wojo says the Skys the limit for Ike.

I think what he is saying is, that Ike needs more basketball experience, has played the game a short period of time.  I was surprised when that player told me, figuring
a 6'10' lanky player who played some soccer could be a big help on the defensive side and play tall at times.  I really think MU needs his help this year with only 10 players to start with.  Only big on the bench would be John.  The following year they have to many bigs, but never have enough of them.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »

First, his post had zero venom.
Second, while you are entitled to your opinion on Ike (and I hope you are correct), when Wojo said the sky was the limit, he probably didn't mean the first ten games of his first year.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

While I agree with your premise, whose responsibility (fault, if you will) is it that we're so inexperienced in Wojo's 4th year?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »
While I agree with your premise, whose responsibility (fault, if you will) is it that we're so inexperienced in Wojo's 4th year?

Henry and Duane
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Henry and Duane

This is silly....one was a stated one and done player...only the fan-board faithful thought it was in question.  The other had a minimized role due to other players getting more mins. 

Surprises happen like injuries or Vander - but even in those circumstances the coach owns the roster. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
This is silly....one was a stated one and done player...only the fan-board faithful thought it was in question.  The other had a minimized role due to other players getting more mins. 

Surprises happen like injuries or Vander - but even in those circumstances the coach owns the roster.

You took that serious? Lmao I should've included burton cohen and Dawson as reasons we didn't make the sweet 16
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
You took that serious? Lmao I should've included burton cohen and Dawson as reasons we didn't make the sweet 16

Sorry yes I did -- poor teal radar. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
Henry and Duane

Sorry, but no. Everyone, including Wojo, knew Henry was a one and done. He was gone LAST year. Duane was a reserve who would have been a 5th year player.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »
Sorry, but no. Everyone, including Wojo, knew Henry was a one and done. He was gone LAST year. Duane was a reserve who would have been a 5th year player.

I invite you to read the post I said 4min before you posted this... some things I thought were obviously sarcastic...
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I invite you to read the post I said 4min before you posted this... some things I thought were obviously sarcastic...

Sorry I missed it, Bags.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
It appears a number of folks talk about the future performance of individuals. I do not believe that will be the difference this year. If MU is to do well they will need to gel as a team. We simply do not have a strong proven go to player that can play both ends of the court. We have some very good role players that we hope will develop into consistent players on offense and defense. They also need to become better team players. If the above does not occur we will have made little progress. Moreover we are out of excuses in blaming the departure of Buzz.

My greatest concern is the administration sets the bar too low. We then have another less than stellar year but the reaction is business as usual. If this happens it will be anyone's guess as to when this program will be turned around.

First, I guess we need to define "another less than stellar year." Was last year less than stellar? The previous year?

And if we go, say, 17-13 and miss the tourney this season, what would you have the administration do? Fire Wojo and his staff and start over from scratch? If the administration keeps Wojo after that less than stellar year, would that be acceptance of "business as usual" and doom the program?

I know there are people who think I talk about Shaka too much, but usually I'm just making silly one liners. Seriously, we all wanted Shaka - myself included - but the man went 11-22 in his second season at Texas after being ranked going into the season. 11-22!!! Should Texas have fired him?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
Off topic but can someone remind me what non con tournament MU is in 18-19 season?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
Off topic but can someone remind me what non con tournament MU is in 18-19 season?

I do not believe it's been announced yet.

And wow...I know sarcasm doesn't always translate well, but that post by the Boxer was screaming teal from 100 miles away.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback