[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wonder what this will be....  (Read 33386 times)

TrevorCandelino

• Walk-On
Re: wonder what this will be....
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
Not taking sides because I think a lot of this is perception and there is some element of truth to all of these perspectives. 

However, the poster that claims to have dealt with them is only saying that they are positioning to sell, not move the team.  The Bucks aren't going anywhere anytime soon but could ownership change? IMO opinion, it's possible. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
I believe there was an actual clause in the deal these two struck with Kohl that said if they attempted to sell the team or relocate, they would lose control of the team.

Yup.  The guy quite literally, as is almost always the case when he's posting, has absolutely no idea what he is talking about, and is spewing complete and utter BS.  I'm very confident he's never spoken to/dealt with the owner of any major professional sports team in his life, let alone done it "a lot."  He is from the school of thought that if you speak confidently enough on a subject, people are just going to believe you because you sound like you know what you're talking about.  Sadly for him people on Scoop realize anybody can be anything they want when hiding behind a computer screen using an anonymous screen name (or, in his case, multiple anonymous screennames that he uses to legitimize each other).  He went from the brother of a Marquette basketball recruit from New Mexico to a guy who personally knows every recruit/player that has ever considered Marquette basketball and all of their family members and the character of all involved to someone who does business with multiple major professional athletic team owners in New York.   :o  The guy is legitimately crazier than ChicoLoopTelevisionJames.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:28:19 PM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Not taking sides because I think a lot of this is perception and there is some element of truth to all of these perspectives. 

However, the poster that claims to have dealt with them is only saying that they are positioning to sell, not move the team.  The Bucks aren't going anywhere anytime soon but could ownership change? IMO opinion, it's possible.
No he implied they will move to Seattle

Their whole mode was to get the new arena built and then position the franchise for sale to the group from Seattle.  I look for that to happen about 5-7 years from now.
Goal is National Championship

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:18 PM »
No he implied they will move to Seattle

Their whole mode was to get the new arena built and then position the franchise for sale to the group from Seattle.  I look for that to happen about 5-7 years from now.

The odds that these guys hold on to something, anything for 10 years seems very low.  The Bucks will be here for 30 years but it's almost certain the ownership structure will be very different even by 2026. 

Marquette seems to have gotten the right length, it gives Wojo certainty for recruiting and allows them to kick the tires in the next few years on a host of options.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Yes they are watching what the Rockets go for and carefully positioning themselves for a similar sale.  They are not going to be able to leverage the Franchise value because of a lack of cashflow. Also ,remember they have local partners in the deal,  so they dont have full access to the cashflow to re leverage.  Only way to get money out is to sell it.   I agree it is an ego play, but for these guys the ego plays don't get in the way of making money.  Remember neither one of the primary owners ever built a business, they were just financial arbitrage guys who were smart enough to not make too many bad trades. I have had lots of dealings with sports franchise owners in NFL, NBA and MLB over the years and they fall into two camps. One is the camp that loves the team etc and wants to be a long term holder.  People like the Mara family. The second are opportunists. These guys clearly fall into the second grouping. Nothing wrong with that. Just know the animal when I see it.

The athletic research center was just a mechanism to get an indoor playing field for Soccer and Lacrosse. The early solid success of Lacrosse was leveraged into getting the bubble on Valley Fields and that is working well now. T We can knock down the old gym and make that an athletic research center. he only comparability we have to Dartmouth is the percentage of students drinking.

Wow!  Marquette has seriously tumbled in the rankings since the mid-70's if Dartmouth has caught MU in this area.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Marquette seems to have gotten the right length, it gives Wojo certainty for recruiting and allows them to kick the tires in the next few years on a host of options.

This. I know people are rolling their eyes at the idea of Marquette building on campus stadium and they might be right, but I promise you that by the time this lease is up, Marquette will have researched every possible option for a home stadium for men's basketball, including building an on campus arena. Part of the reason that Marquette was in a tough position this season was because there were no other options. We couldn't fund-raise and build a stadium by 2018-2019. We couldn't go play in UW Milwaukee Arena. We couldn't play in the Al. Only option was the Bradley Center so the Bucks could put the screws to us. By the time this merry go around comes back round again, Marquette will have multiple possible options researched so they can come to the table with a little more leverage.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
The naming rights deal for UWM Panther Arena was a 10 year deal signed in 2014, so it will expire the same time as Marquette's new lease in the new arena.  The old Arena might be a more viable option for us in the future if it's not named after UWM.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
UWM can extend it by 5 years.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
The naming rights deal for UWM Panther Arena was a 10 year deal signed in 2014, so it will expire the same time as Marquette's new lease in the new arena.  The old Arena might be a more viable option for us in the future if it's not named after UWM.

I was wondering about that.  Not that MU wants to head there but theoretical options will give MU a little more leverage on the next go around.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »
I was wondering about that.  Not that MU wants to head there but theoretical options will give MU a little more leverage on the next go around.

I would imagine the best thing MU can do is get the attendance figures back up again (i.e. Win consistently).  The rest would likely take care of itself.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »

This was my thought. No way Marquette wants to go back to the Mecca, but it gives them a viable option to compete with the Bucks.

I would imagine the best thing MU can do is get the attendance figures back up again (i.e. Win consistently).  The rest would likely take care of itself.

This also couldn't hurt. If Marquette returns to a dominant power in college basketball with the attendance to back it we will get a much better deal the next time around.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
Scoopers, pony up. Let's buy the Bucks as a group & rent to MU for a dollar
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
Scoopers, pony up. Let's buy the Bucks as a group & rent to MU for a dollar

#donedeal

Can we cut Bronson Koenig immediately?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
That's quite the leverage........

MU: if you don't give us the deal we want at Silk Exotic Arena we would be willing to go back to UWM Panther Arena--as you know this is an absolute last resort for us and we would hate doing it...but we would do it!

BUCKS: oh no! Name your price MU! We never anticipated that you would bluff that you go back to UWM Panther Arena, but we see that you are serious!

Advantage MU!  ::)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
#donedeal

Can we cut Bronson Koenig immediately?

funny of the month!  now that was a good one!! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
That's quite the leverage........

MU: if you don't give us the deal we want at Silk Exotic Arena we would be willing to go back to UWM Panther Arena--as you know this is an absolute last resort for us and we would hate doing it...but we would do it!

BUCKS: oh no! Name your price MU! We never anticipated that you would bluff that you go back to UWM Panther Arena, but we see that you are serious!

Advantage MU!  ::)

If we did, it would no longer be called UWM Milwaukee Arena. And yes, that is leverage. An undesirable option is better leverage than no option. And while I don't know what the number is, there is a number where it would be better for Marquette to go back to the Mecca than to pay the Bucks what they are asking for.

As others have said, the Bucks and Marquette both need each other. Right now, Marquette needed the Bucks more. The next time around, I suspect Marquette will have made moves to make sure those needs are a little more even.
TAMU

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
When the leverage is that undesirable it's about the same as no leverage at all.

It's like playing poker when the other guy can see your cards.

Going back to the Arena would be unacceptable to everyone involved ......it isn't happening and everyone knows it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
If we did, it would no longer be called UWM Milwaukee Arena. And yes, that is leverage. An undesirable option is better leverage than no option.

As other have said, your undesirable option may not be an option at all. UWM has first dibs on their Arena.
Also, as others have said, it is undesirable. Not much leverage at all really. Everybody knows, including everyone at that negotiating table, that MU does not want to go back......so not much leverage.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2017, 08:14:03 PM »
Wow!  Marquette has seriously tumbled in the rankings since the mid-70's if Dartmouth has caught MU in this area.
There is nothing to do in those New Hampshire back woods in the dead of winter.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
Marquette's only leverage in the deal was to offer to buy the BC.The Bucks owners wanted that land grab and MU lost it before they even knew as it was all roses then. Make no mistake, this is a real estate deal from the get-go, and it will be on their exit, including dumping the debt. These are real estate guys.

And no, I don't think the state would have taken money from a God-believing school. Nor did the Bucks owners want it in reality. Was MU fleeced?  No.  Did MU screw the pooch a little? Probably. If $200k is the rent, is that bad? No. Cost of a hyperbaric chamber, ai-na?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:09:34 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
Marquette's only leverage in the deal was to offer to buy the BC.The Bucks owners wanted that land grab and MU lost it before they even knew as it was all roses then. Make no mistake, this is a real estate deal from the get-go, and it will be on their exit, including dumping the debt. These are real estate guys.

And no, I don't think the state would have taken money from a God-believing school. Not did the Bucks owners want it in reality. Was MU fleeced?  No.  Did MU screw the pooch a little? Probably. If $200k is the rent, is that bad? No.  Cost of a hyperbaric chamber, ai-na?
That is pretty much how I see it. The reality is the Bucks took control from the beginning , with the  NBA playing the role of the bad guy , and convinced the Government entities to fund the deal. MU elected not to participate in the equity or offer to take over the BC for the cost of maintaining it. So the net result was we ended up paying retail for the lease. Not the end of the world and maybe the flexibility will end up being a benefit.

The Bucks have a provision to pay back the public debt if they want to cancel the lease. Do the math, Houston Rockets are going to sell for 3 times what the Bucks sold for. There is plenty of room for a nice profit even after paying back the debt. If the new owner does elect to move the franchise, MU is in a better position to deal with the controlling entity of the arena whoever that will be.

In all events, MU needs to position itself to build a new campus campus arena on the scale of the Century Link facility that Creighton has. It is very feasible as we have the land to do it and the money/financing could be raised.  Part of my desire to see our US News rating improve, is the ability to generate more funding for the new arena. If we could get well in the top 50, we could raise tuition $10,000 a year (which is still less than Georgetown, Boston College and Villanova). which would go a long way toward funding the necessary payments on the financing.

In the meantime, we can enjoy the attendant benefits and publicity of the new arena. Hopefully we are in a better position in the future if we have to renew.
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2017, 09:38:06 PM »
That is pretty much how I see it. The reality is the Bucks took control from the beginning , with the  NBA playing the role of the bad guy , and convinced the Government entities to fund the deal. MU elected not to participate in the equity or offer to take over the BC for the cost of maintaining it. So the net result was we ended up paying retail for the lease. Not the end of the world and maybe the flexibility will end up being a benefit.

The Bucks have a provision to pay back the public debt if they want to cancel the lease. Do the math, Houston Rockets are going to sell for 3 times what the Bucks sold for. There is plenty of room for a nice profit even after paying back the debt. If the new owner does elect to move the franchise, MU is in a better position to deal with the controlling entity of the arena whoever that will be.

In all events, MU needs to position itself to build a new campus campus arena on the scale of the Century Link facility that Creighton has. It is very feasible as we have the land to do it and the money/financing could be raised.  Part of my desire to see our US News rating improve, is the ability to generate more funding for the new arena. If we could get well in the top 50, we could raise tuition $10,000 a year (which is still less than Georgetown, Boston College and Villanova). which would go a long way toward funding the necessary payments on the financing.

In the meantime, we can enjoy the attendant benefits and publicity of the new arena. Hopefully we are in a better position in the future if we have to renew.

Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »

You need to abandon the provincial mindset.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »
You need to abandon the provincial mindset.

Says the guy who thought Henry was going to be here four years.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
If the Bucks leave ......the new arena will still need a tenant.........so I think it will be ok.

The NBA doesn't typically allow teams to relocate once they get a new arena......it would be horrible PR

Conspiracy theories are fun but try to get out of your own head once in awhile......

feedback