'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wonder what this will be....  (Read 33408 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: wonder what this will be....
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »
If the new Bucks owners were Wisconsinites, would half this room be saying the prickly things about them that they do?

The biggest offense this group seems to have is they are dollar hungry out-of-staters.

They are not dollar hungry cheeseheads. It presumably would make everything OK if they were.

Grow up folks. There's life beyond the Illinois or Minnesota border.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:31:26 PM by dgies9156 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »
If the Bucks leave ......the new arena will still need a tenant.........so I think it will be ok.

The NBA doesn't typically allow teams to relocate once they get a new arena......it would be horrible PR

Conspiracy theories are fun but try to get out of your own head once in awhile......
The NBA will encourage the Bucks ownership to sell if the team has a run of non performance.. The league is going to be going international at some point and really does not want to have franchises in backwaters like Milwaukee.  They will wait till Herb Kohl is senile before they actively push a sale The league is  not a bunch of dummies and will not want to piss off a former US Senator.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »
Sounds like it might have made a little sense to put a little money up front in order to buy some equity in the arena.  The state would have jumped all over that.

I recall hearing that during the finance portion, Bucks ownership told Marquette not to worry about making an up front contribution.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2017, 10:43:57 PM »
The NBA will encourage the Bucks ownership to sell if the team has a run of non performance.. The league is going to be going international at some point and really does not want to have franchises in backwaters like Milwaukee.  They will wait till Herb Kohl is senile before they actively push a sale The league is  not a bunch of dummies and will not want to piss off a former US Senator.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2017, 12:05:50 AM »
If the new Bucks owners were Wisconsinites, would half this room be saying the prickly things about them that they do?

The biggest offense this group seems to have is they are dollar hungry out-of-staters.

They are not dollar hungry cheeseheads. It presumably would make everything OK if they were.

Ehh.  It's more of the fact that they don't have concern for anything beyond their own bottom-line.  There are even some questionable decisions they have made within the Bucks org itself that have Bucks fans questioning whether these guys are motivated by a championship or by the bottom-line.

Pretty crapty thing for anyone to do to come in and buy a team and proceed to milk it exclusively as a cash cow - in state or out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:22 AM »

I'm not sure that's quite it dg.  I can't quite put my finger on it but I do view these guys differently than Mark Attanasio.  I completely understand their approach to MU and that perhaps our side was a bit taken back by the process.  I would have had no problem with them saying that the $1.2M pricetage was going to $2.0M or even higher.  But if Eng is correct and they started at 3 years I would have found that to be completely unreasonable, intentionally damaging to the university, and indicative of them not being very good corporate citizens.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:31:51 AM by jsglow »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
If the Bucks leave ......the new arena will still need a tenant.........so I think it will be ok.

The NBA doesn't typically allow teams to relocate once they get a new arena......it would be horrible PR

Conspiracy theories are fun but try to get out of your own head once in awhile......

Without a major anchor tenant like the Bucks, proper funding for maintance would likely be a problem.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
UWM can extend it by 5 years.

Allstae Arena then.  Beer summit at my place pregame.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »

WTF are you talking about?  I don't think anyone is particularly blaming the Bucks owners for doing what they are doing.  Some think it is the wrong tactic because in the long-run it will backfire on them, but everyone realizes that they are no longer dealing with a BC board and a Bucks owner that gave MU a deal in the past.

Stop assuming everyone in Wisconsin is a provincial hick.  I mean, you're a Cardinal fan...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
All sorts of stupid going on in here still, I see.

Here's a bit of intelligence that might average things out:  Who the hell cares what the motivations/mindsets were during discussions.  Who the hell cares if the new Bucks ownership loves or hates Wisconsin.  Who the hell cares how much Dartmouth students drink (aside: it's a lot more than you think... as in likely more than the rest of the Ivy combined). 

The gosh darn tootin' lease is signed.  MU is playing at the new arena - guaranteed - for the next 7 years and potentially well beyond that (there's likely a few extension options in there as well).

And rest assured that MU is not putting up an on-campus arena until I write a check because the hell if you think that I'm going to allow anyone else's name on that building.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
[...]
And rest assured that MU is not putting up an on-campus arena until I write a check because the hell if you think that I'm going to allow anyone else's name on that building.

please tell us it will be the "Benny B Hole."

please oh please oh please.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
Never stopped him from simply pulling facts out of his ass about everything
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
Marquette's only leverage in the deal was to offer to buy the BC.The Bucks owners wanted that land grab and MU lost it before they even knew as it was all roses then. Make no mistake, this is a real estate deal from the get-go, and it will be on their exit, including dumping the debt. These are real estate guys.

And no, I don't think the state would have taken money from a God-believing school. Nor did the Bucks owners want it in reality. Was MU fleeced?  No.  Did MU screw the pooch a little? Probably. If $200k is the rent, is that bad? No. Cost of a hyperbaric chamber, ai-na?

If I read the article right from Philly its said that Nova would have to spend 125M to upgrade the Pavillion to a 10 to 12K facility which they are not doing. At 200k per game rent that is about 3.6M per year for 16 games. Do the math. It will take MU more than 25 years in rent to build an on campus facility for 125M. Even if the Bucks increase the rent after 7 years, MU is better off renting.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
Ehh.  It's more of the fact that they don't have concern for anything beyond their own bottom-line.  There are even some questionable decisions they have made within the Bucks org itself that have Bucks fans questioning whether these guys are motivated by a championship or by the bottom-line.

Pretty crapty thing for anyone to do to come in and buy a team and proceed to milk it exclusively as a cash cow - in state or out.
i have no issues with anything the owners have done.  i know very little about professional sports ownership...how does ownership of the new arena work?  i thought i remember people ripping former pres. bush for getting an arena built with mostly tax $$$ then selling the team for a big profit.  did the bucks just become worth a great deal more because of the arena, and are the owners able to benefit in the sale?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
When do they drop the "new" from Athletic Director?

Is Wojo the new men's basketball coach?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2017, 02:02:46 PM »

I'll have you know that I do ALL of my major shopping at Gurnee Mills.  If you don't believe me, I'll challenge you to a laser-tag duel there.  Name the time and date.  I will smoke you like a Usinger's sausage.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
Anybody else find it coincidental that Shaka Smart's contract also ends seven years from now?

#LovellsMasterPlan

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
If I read the article right from Philly its said that Nova would have to spend 125M to upgrade the Pavillion to a 10 to 12K facility which they are not doing. At 200k per game rent that is about 3.6M per year for 16 games. Do the math. It will take MU more than 25 years in rent to build an on campus facility for 125M. Even if the Bucks increase the rent after 7 years, MU is better off renting.

$125M seems like an arbitrary number, but the point remains that whether or not it "makes sense" for MU to build an on-campus arena is more influenced by externalities than by finances.  IOW, irrespective of payback or the cost of capital (and opportunity cost), what makes any build/own scenario a fruitless endeavor for MU today is the fact they have a brand new arena at their disposal.  In the same manner, had the Bucks had left town five years ago and the BC wasn't being maintained by the district, the discussion to build (or not to build) wouldn't be about finances and payback, it would be about "do or die."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »

I have trouble believing that the bucks pay 1.5 million in rent for the new arena and collect 3.6 million from MU..., not to mention the concessions, concerts, etc.  Worse, the bucks were rent-free in the BC! and were paid shares of all revenues plus over 2 million for suite rental.  Why didn't the blue/gold fund buy the BC and operate it as a for profit?  Certainly could undercut the  new arena, and match panther arena with a better venue.  In fact, there may not be room for 3 arenas- maybe buy panther arena and bulldoze.  Maybe buy..., hell, none of this makes sense to me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »
I have trouble believing that the bucks pay 1.5 million in rent for the new arena and collect 3.6 million from MU..., not to mention the concessions, concerts, etc.  Worse, the bucks were rent-free in the BC! and were paid shares of all revenues plus over 2 million for suite rental.  Why didn't the blue/gold fund buy the BC and operate it as a for profit?  Certainly could undercut the  new arena, and match panther arena with a better venue.  In fact, there may not be room for 3 arenas- maybe buy panther arena and bulldoze.  Maybe buy..., hell, none of this makes sense to me.

Because it is not for sale, for one thing.  That area is where the ginormous beer garden/entertainment complex is going to go.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »

You're simply not understanding how these things work.  I don't want to get into a protracted discussion but a professional sports team's 'deal' has 100% to do with what other cities are willing to fork over.  I'm not remembering the exact figures and I'm too lazy to go back and look but the fact that the Real Chili Arena was paid for with less than 50% public money actually made it one of the best arena construction deals in the last 25 years.  In many, many places, those things are nearly 100% paid by the taxpayers; and only on the HOPE that they might actually get a team someday.  Go to Louisville if you want to see 'hope and dream'. 

The bottom line is that professional sports is something that communities value and one must pay to play.  Now one can argue that it's not worth the price but that's a different question entirely.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
I would guess the Arena is less expensive to maintain and run than the Bradley Center would be.

The Arena is like the old refrigerator you stick in your garage and it runs for decades.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
I would guess the Arena is less expensive to maintain and run than the Bradley Center would be.

The Arena is like the old refrigerator you stick in your garage and it runs for decades.

And as someone said, this is a real estate development deal at its heart.  All the land immediately around the Real Chili arena is already spoken for.  Restaurants, condos, hotel rooms, etc. etc.  The old arena is just far enough away and just useful enough as the city's second tier facility to actually be a pretty darn good fit.  I like your basement refrigerator analogy.