[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 279948 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1600 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
Must not be late enough in December for the Silverdome to implode.

that's funny. They should have tried to implode it in October that would have been more accurate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: December 04, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
The symbolism of not even being able to implode a stadium correctly is very apt. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1602 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
Built Ford Tough

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1603 on: December 04, 2017, 03:11:59 PM »
Gotta come into the Panther Den next Sunday, my friend!

Unfortunately, our winning streak was snapped in New Orleans today ... gonna start another one next week, though.
Odin laughs at your puny 3 game winning streak.  8 in a row is the measure of a winning streak now.

I am concerned that the Vikings are due for a let down facing their 3rd road game where this is almost a must win for the home team.

Also, you're home dogs....Vikes -3.  Should be a good game

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1604 on: December 04, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
Odin laughs at your puny 3 game winning streak.  8 in a row is the measure of a winning streak now.

I am concerned that the Vikings are due for a let down facing their 3rd road game where this is almost a must win for the home team.

Your first worry should be about a 1 game streak once the playoffs start.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: December 04, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
Your first worry should be about a 1 game streak once the playoffs start.
As a Vike's fan I can assure you that the length of the post season is not what's looming over our collective heads.  The horrible manner by which they assuredly have a game won only to somehow chalk up an 'L' is what's looming over our collective heads.

Will it be a play that causes a rule change the next year?  A brainfart by Zimmer that takes the boot off the other teams throat?  A blatantly missed call by the refs that isn't reviewable? An MVP player choking?  Who knows?  BUT...........It will happen, it will be gut wrenching (or hilarious depending on your POV), and it will be memorable. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
As a Vike's fan I can assure you that the length of the post season is not what's looming over our collective heads.  The horrible manner by which they assuredly have a game won only to somehow chalk up an 'L' is what's looming over our collective heads.

Will it be a play that causes a rule change the next year?  A brainfart by Zimmer that takes the boot off the other teams throat?  A blatantly missed call by the refs that isn't reviewable? An MVP player choking?  Who knows?  BUT...........It will happen, it will be gut wrenching (or hilarious depending on your POV), and it will be memorable. 

So 50% chance it was the Vikings getting screwed on something out of their control and 50% chance it’s he Vikings screwing themselves. I’d say like 95% chance Vikings screwing themselves ans 5% chance of the Vikings getting screwed.

Here’s a little seed to plant in the head of Vikings fans. Right now you’re looking at Goff, Keanum, and Wentz quarterbacking the top 3 seeds in the NFC. Let’s say the Pack get a road win at the winless Browns this week. Then let’s say Rodgers returns and the Pack win their last 3 to get in as a 6 seed. If the Vikings finish as the 2 seed and the Rams/Eagles finish as the 1 and 3 seeds (doesn’t matter which is which) are you taking Goff and/or Wentz in their first ever Playoff games over Rodgers, even with the Packers on the road? Would be awesome to see Vikings fans thinking their on their way to a home Superhowl game...only to lose at home to the Packers in the NFC title game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: December 04, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
So 50% chance it was the Vikings getting screwed on something out of their control and 50% chance it’s he Vikings screwing themselves. I’d say like 95% chance Vikings screwing themselves ans 5% chance of the Vikings getting screwed.

Here’s a little seed to plant in the head of Vikings fans. Right now you’re looking at Goff, Keanum, and Wentz quarterbacking the top 3 seeds in the NFC. Let’s say the Pack get a road win at the winless Browns this week. Then let’s say Rodgers returns and the Pack win their last 3 to get in as a 6 seed. If the Vikings finish as the 2 seed and the Rams/Eagles finish as the 1 and 3 seeds (doesn’t matter which is which) are you taking Goff and/or Wentz in their first ever Playoff games over Rodgers, even with the Packers on the road? Would be awesome to see Vikings fans thinking their on their way to a home Superhowl game...only to lose at home to the Packers in the NFC title game.
at 10-2 and only having one loss to an NFC team the absolute last thing Vike's fans are worried about is GB. 

There is a solid possibility that Rodgers is done and GB is a shell without him. 

don't make me call you a kook ;)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
at 10-2 and only having one loss to an NFC team the absolute last thing Vike's fans are worried about is GB. 

There is a solid possibility that Rodgers is done and GB is a shell without him. 

don't make me call you a kook ;)

If (and it is a very big if) GB makes the playoffs, they will beat the Vikings.  If I was a Viking fan, I'd be praying that GB doesn't make the playoffs and/or, Rodgers doesn't get the ok to play.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: December 04, 2017, 10:29:03 PM »
After watching this MNF game, this is exhibit A for why I'd never let my kids play football. Just utterly brutal.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »
After watching this MNF game, this is exhibit A for why I'd never let my kids play football. Just utterly brutal.

Shazier really couldn't move his legs at all on the field.  Scary.  And agreed, would never let my kid play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: December 04, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

Actually, it was a 4-game winning streak.

Panthers' 8-4 record includes very impressive wins over New England (on road), Atlanta and Detroit (on road) - and also a loss to the effen Bears, as well as two ugly losses to New Orleans. So they can be very, very good or very bad or anything in between.

You're right about it being a good game. I'm not going but I will be in my favorite watering hole cheering on Cam, Luke & Co. with dozens of like-minded fans.

I don't mind being a home underdog at all. Means nothing today, will mean even less after my boyz slap your boyz upside the heads. And then get ready for "Is it time to go back to Bridgewater" speculation to follow!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »

Its getting to the point when these two teams play where I wouldn't mind seeing the league making up the rules as they go along and saying something along the lines of "every personal foul against your team is an automatic ejection." 

For all the bluster about what's causing the ratings decrease, last night wasn't fun. The last time I felt as unavoidably aware of my complicit support of brain injuries was when these two played last year. The best way to lose your audience is to make them feel guilty for consuming your product, and I don't think I'm alone on that feeling. I've talked to people today already that said they turned last nights game off, missed a great comeback, and really didn't give a damn. That's a big L for the league.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Its getting to the point when these two teams play where I wouldn't mind seeing the league making up the rules as they go along and saying something along the lines of "every personal foul against your team is an automatic ejection." 

For all the bluster about what's causing the ratings decrease, last night wasn't fun. The last time I felt as unavoidably aware of my complicit support of brain injuries was when these two played last year. The best way to lose your audience is to make them feel guilty for consuming your product, and I don't think I'm alone on that feeling. I've talked to people today already that said they turned last nights game off, missed a great comeback, and really didn't give a damn. That's a big L for the league.

I agree.  And I know college players get injured too, but it doesn't seem to be the same frequency or severity.  That stuff just isn't fun.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: December 05, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »

I agree.  And I know college players get injured too, but it doesn't seem to be the same frequency or severity.  That stuff just isn't fun.

Now I understand why college players skip out on their school and teammates during Bowl season
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »
Rodgers getting hurt at US Bank stadium in week 6 and then leading the 6 seeded Packers to a win over the Vikings at the same stadium, to prevent the Vikings having a home Super Bowl, and then winning the Super Bowl in the very same stadium,  would be an awesome Hollywood ending for us Packers fans.

Plus the Vikings are unwittingly helping the Packers playoff chances by beating Atlanta last week and hopefully Carolina this week.  That story is almost too good not to happen!  Sorry Viking fans, #itshappening.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
Rodgers getting hurt at US Bank stadium in week 6 and then leading the 6 seeded Packers to a win over the Vikings at the same stadium, to prevent the Vikings having a home Super Bowl, and then winning the Super Bowl in the very same stadium,  would be an awesome Hollywood ending for us Packers fans.

Plus the Vikings are unwittingly helping the Packers playoff chances by beating Atlanta last week and hopefully Carolina this week.  That story is almost too good not to happen!  Sorry Viking fans, #itshappening.

Panthers gonna take care of Vikes this week and Pack next, so whatevs!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: December 05, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jon-gruden-leads-wave-criticism-violence-steelers-bengals-mnf-game-060535067.html

This will help ratings and league image.

If there's one thing we know for sure, it's that the American public hates violent entertainment.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: December 05, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
If there's one thing we know for sure, it's that the American public hates violent entertainment.

When it comes to sports, I think there is a narrow segment that does.  I think there is a broad segment that doesn't.

Violent movies and video games aren't reality.  Most people can make that differentiation.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: December 05, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
Gronk suspension upheld. Should have been suspended longer. He just pounded White, who was lying down out of bounds. Gronk launched himself at White, slammed his forearm into White's head, violently bouncing White's head off the turf. White will probably miss several weeks.

Totally unnecessary, appeared to be intent to injure, defenseless player, long after the play was over.

If the NFL is serious about concussions, violence, etc, this would have been a good example case to lay down the law.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: December 06, 2017, 02:02:41 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jon-gruden-leads-wave-criticism-violence-steelers-bengals-mnf-game-060535067.html

This will help ratings and league image.

Jon Gruden had no problem when he won a Super Bowl and got rich with Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and John Lynch crushing everybody in the same way. Rings very hollow from him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
Jon Gruden had no problem when he won a Super Bowl and got rich with Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and John Lynch crushing everybody in the same way. Rings very hollow from him.

He acknowledged it was a different era then.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1623 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »

He acknowledged it was a different era then.

Gruden hasn't changed. During Monday's game, he said he would pay for it a season ticket to watch the NFL's dirtiest player.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1624 on: December 06, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
Roger Goodell got his contract extension approved.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback