[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18  (Read 279994 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2017-18
« Reply #1050 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
Hard for a defense to hold up against a Bree's offense that's coming at them repeatedly because the offense can't sustain a drive. Defense did enough keep the game close if they had partnered with an even average offense.

MM wants to say he's happy with his QBs, all well and good...then turn them loose. Majority of offensive issues were play calls(all MM) and pre-snap reads(Hundley was not prepared IMO). Legend of MM will be made or broken over next couple of weeks, post bye

Yup, that's where I am.  Hundley stinks, but McCarthy isn't helping him.  With Hundley under center, Aaron Jones needs to be approaching 30 touches, not 17.  And we weren't playing catchup until the middle of the 4th quarter, so it's not like we had to take the running game out of the playbook.

Mac struggles mightily to adjust.  I get it, every team is going to be worse when their quarterback goes down, especially immediately after it happens.  But look how bad the offense was when Jordy went down for the entire first half of the season.

Also, I think Morgan Burnett is to the defense what Rodgers is to the offense.  Not to the extent that Rodgers does his thing offensively because Rodgers is a better quarterback than Burnett is a safety, but every time Burnett is out it seems like offenses have so much open space on the field.  Defensive players just seem to be in better spots when Burnett is out there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
Yup, that's where I am.  Hundley stinks, but McCarthy isn't helping him.  With Hundley under center, Aaron Jones needs to be approaching 30 touches, not 17.  And we weren't playing catchup until the middle of the 4th quarter, so it's not like we had to take the running game out of the playbook.

Mac struggles mightily to adjust.  I get it, every team is going to be worse when their quarterback goes down, especially immediately after it happens.  But look how bad the offense was when Jordy went down for the entire first half of the season.

Also, I think Morgan Burnett is to the defense what Rodgers is to the offense.  Not to the extent that Rodgers does his thing offensively because Rodgers is a better quarterback than Burnett is a safety, but every time Burnett is out it seems like offenses have so much open space on the field.  Defensive players just seem to be in better spots when Burnett is out there.

Agree on Mac not helping.  Best example was early in the game.  Jones was dominating.  3rd and 1, calls up a quick slant that had zero chance with Rodgers under center.  Just plain stupid.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #1052 on: October 24, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Agree on Mac not helping.  Best example was early in the game.  Jones was dominating.  3rd and 1, calls up a quick slant that had zero chance with Rodgers under center.  Just plain stupid.

That was a run/pass option and Hundley chose to pass.

I thought the biggest mistakes were never passing on first down and leaving him with 3rd and 5+ pretty much the entire game after the second quarter. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1053 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »

I thought the biggest mistakes were never passing on first down and leaving him with 3rd and 5+ pretty much the entire game after the second quarter.

Which goes back to Hundleys unpreparedness at pre-snap reads. He'll get better with live experience
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1054 on: October 24, 2017, 03:56:12 PM »
Hard for a defense to hold up against a Bree's offense that's coming at them repeatedly because the offense can't sustain a drive. Defense did enough keep the game close if they had partnered with an even average offense.

MM wants to say he's happy with his QBs, all well and good...then turn them loose. Majority of offensive issues were play calls(all MM) and pre-snap reads(Hundley was not prepared IMO). Legend of MM will be made or broken over next couple of weeks, post bye

What? The defense quit in the 2nd half. They gave up almost 500 yards. How is that playing well? Anybody watching the game saw this. Having 10 players on the field on a New Orleans TD is inexcusable. Calling a time out another time there were only 10 men on the field is inexcusable.

Capers has to go. This team has spent high pick after high pick on defensive players and they continue to suck year after year. Absolutely no pressure on Brees the entire game. The only sack was when the tackle tripped over the guard's foot and Perry had a free rush. They can't rush the QB; they can't defend receivers. The Bears rebuilt their defense in two years to one of the better defenses in the league. GB falters year after year regardless of the bodies on the field. You could get by with ARod on the field. They will finish dead last in their division.

The "legend" of MM will not depend on a backup 5th round QB.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1055 on: October 24, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
What? The defense quit in the 2nd half. They gave up almost 500 yards. How is that playing well? Anybody watching the game saw this. Having 10 players on the field on a New Orleans TD is inexcusable. Calling a time out another time there were only 10 men on the field is inexcusable.

Capers has to go. This team has spent high pick after high pick on defensive players and they continue to suck year after year. Absolutely no pressure on Brees the entire game. The only sack was when the tackle tripped over the guard's foot and Perry had a free rush. They can't rush the QB; they can't defend receivers. The Bears rebuilt their defense in two years to one of the better defenses in the league. GB falters year after year regardless of the bodies on the field. You could get by with ARod on the field. They will finish dead last in their division.

The "legend" of MM will not depend on a backup 5th round QB.

Look at the drive charts, especially in the 2nd half of the game....the defense didn't have any time to recover. TOP was 21-9 in the 2nd half in favor of the Saints....that works if you score touchdowns on 3 out of 4 possessions but to come away with 3 points....what did you want the defense to do exactly.
http://cdn.espn.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=400951585

I will grant you the defense is not perfect and this is really represented by a mismatch in styles between Capers and TT. Capers runs a very sophisticated D, which favors savvy veteran players, which is in polar opposition to TT's draft and cheap talent. However, to pin the NO loss on the defense is to ignore the fundamental truths of the game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: October 24, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Look at the drive charts, especially in the 2nd half of the game....the defense didn't have any time to recover. TOP was 21-9 in the 2nd half in favor of the Saints....that works if you score touchdowns on 3 out of 4 possessions but to come away with 3 points....what did you want the defense to do exactly.
http://cdn.espn.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=400951585

I will grant you the defense is not perfect and this is really represented by a mismatch in styles between Capers and TT. Capers runs a very sophisticated D, which favors savvy veteran players, which is in polar opposition to TT's draft and cheap talent. However, to pin the NO loss on the defense is to ignore the fundamental truths of the game.

You're right. I didn't mean to place all blame on the defense. I was just pointing out they were bad.

I thought MM's game plan was as bad as Capers'. You can't have your QBbe a game manager when you know the defense will get torched.

Good news? Lots of good QB prospects so GB should get one of the top 3 defensive prospects for a change.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »

There is zero reason to call a run/pass option for Hundley in that situation.  Not experienced enough to make the right decision.  Go two tight ends and give it to Jones.  Then do a run/pass option on 1st down if you want.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: October 25, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
This one?  http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnists/expansion-trigger-realignment-longer-postseason/#lo6ItEV1fy7lSYPU.97

In my view, do not see most of this happening.

Getting rid of the AL and NL, this would upset so many baseball purists it is dead in the water.

Canada may want another team, but that's like saying Seattle wants a basketball team or any number of NHL cities that have lost a team. It might happen, but I don't think the prospects are high once you had your chance and lost it.

The DH or not the DH, that's intriguing for many baseball fans and this does away it or makes it permanent.

So much of these proposals alienate the fanbase it is hard for me to see this seeing the light of day.  The schedule balance, already a mess becomes more of a mess.  You basically play your division 85% of the time and then only 3 games against the other teams. So if you're on the east coast and get to see Mike Trout once a year now, you may get to see him once every other year.  Or Altuve, or fill in the blank player.  Essentially seeing the same teams over and over and over again, that's going to wear thin with the fans very quickly in my opinion.  The regional rivalries also isn't one of fairness. 

Double headers?  No way the union is going to go for that and the managers hate them.

I disagree with some of this.  In the new proposal you will be playing 7 teams a total of 84 games.  Currently you play 4 teams a total of 76 games.  That is seeing the same teams over and over again to a greater extent with the current model.  I don't like the proposal but for the opposite reason you suggest.  As a Red Sox fan, I don't want less games against the Orioles and Yankees (admittedly feel less strongly about the Rays and Jays).  Those are the most fun games to me as a fan.

If they ever did go to 32 teams, I think the most sensible thing is two leagues with 4 divisions of 4 teams.  Play 18 games against each team in your own division and 9 against the other teams in your league for a 162 game schedule.  Or reduce some of the other league teams (like 6 instead of 9) to add interleague games, which I would like to get rid of.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: October 25, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »
$cam Newton back to walking out of press conferences again because he didn't perform well and got asked about it.  I didn't follow it, but I highly doubt he was walking out of press conferences the week after the Patriots game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
$cam Newton back to walking out of press conferences again because he didn't perform well and got asked about it.  I didn't follow it, but I highly doubt he was walking out of press conferences the week after the Patriots game.

And he didn't show up for his weekly press conference at all the previous week.

I'm not happy with Cam's comportment at all. He's supposed to be a leader.

I say that even though I have been one of Cam's biggest supporters. He has to hold himself accountable and stop acting like a baby.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: October 27, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
Now we have the Texans owner, a Trump supporter named Bob McNair, comparing NFL players to prison inmates.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/27/texans-star-skips-practice-players-sickened-by-owners-remarks/

Wonderful.

Naturally, he issued a weak-arse apology filled with spin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inmates-running-prison-owners-divided-protest-responses-153336778.html

Also in the above link, see the lie by Daniel Snyder, claiming that 96% of Americans want the players to stand when a recent poll actually revealed that 51% of Americans felt players should not be required to stand.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
Now we have the Texans owner, a Trump supporter named Bob McNair, comparing NFL players to prison inmates.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/27/texans-star-skips-practice-players-sickened-by-owners-remarks/

Wonderful.

Naturally, he issued a weak-arse apology filled with spin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inmates-running-prison-owners-divided-protest-responses-153336778.html

Also in the above link, see the lie by Daniel Snyder, claiming that 96% of Americans want the players to stand when a recent poll actually revealed that 51% of Americans felt players should not be required to stand.

I guess the word "thug" slipped McNair's mind, so he used "inmates" instead.

The objections to the protests are all about race. Similar to the Harvey Weinstein situation. It was only when rich, white women started revealing what he did that it was taken seriously.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1063 on: October 27, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
To be honest,  I don't think McNair meant to compare they players to inmates.  It is a common phrase.  But it was a very unfortunate choice of words and the players are understandably upset.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
To be honest,  I don't think McNair meant to compare they players to inmates.  It is a common phrase.  But it was a very unfortunate choice of words and the players are understandably upset.

That was my first thought, as well. But after learning that he was the biggest contributor among NFL owners to a bragging sexual criminal, I decided to not cut him any slack.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: October 27, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
Yeah, it wuz dat lilly, livered, Roger dat fooked da ‘hole mess up, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1066 on: October 27, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »
Yeah, it wuz dat lilly, livered, Roger dat fooked da ‘hole mess up, ai na?

No.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: October 27, 2017, 11:12:21 PM »
Another thread ruined....sigh

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1068 on: October 27, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »
Another thread ruined....sigh

Unbelievable how “they” continue to get away with that passive/ aggressive stuff and we have to keep taking the high road, discretionary valor,  turn the other butt cheek, what have you, eyn’a so?

So, how ‘bout that ole Indian packing company :-\
don't...don't don't don't don't

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: October 28, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »

It was a whole lot of nothing. It's a figure of speech. Nothing more. Sure, he could have said that they can't let the tail wag the dog and it would have been fine. This is a classic case of one side looking for a reason to be outraged at the other side.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1070 on: October 28, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
It was a whole lot of nothing. It's a figure of speech. Nothing more. Sure, he could have said that they can't let the tail wag the dog and it would have been fine. This is a classic case of one side looking for a reason to be outraged at the other side.

Very well stated.  This relates to our conversation re: PC speak. Depends on what you say to who and when...and who says it

Now, anyone think Callahan gets a chance next week?  Huntley has got to be on a short leash.  If Callahan doesn’t look good, it may be time to talk to that kid from Burlington, wi.  We’ve got 6-7 weeks to go. And that’s if Aaron is in game shape.  Ya can’t expect him to be throwing blue darters the minute he steps back onto the field  this was his right/throwing collarbone, not his right testicle we’re talkin about
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: October 28, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »

“We can’t have the inmates run the jail.” I’m not sure I’ve ever heard that figure of speech before this past week. Even if “all it is” is a figure of speech, given the initial “cause” for the protests, that would be one of the worst figures of speech you could’ve possibly used there. The guy deserves all the backlash and more that he gets for being stupid enough to use those words in this situation.

I was all on board for Kaepernick’s “protest” being stupid and ineffective, but between the Commander in Tweet being unable to close his mouth and now this guy using those words, the problem is showing through and through just based on the reactions by the rich white males.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #1072 on: October 28, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

The problem was only party in the words he used.  Even if he used the "tail wag the dog" saying instead, that implies that the players are the ones to be "wagged" by the owners.  That isn't simply outrage, that implies that the players are subservient to the owners.

It's just so easy to write people off as "outraged."  It's a very easy way to dismiss their point of view.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »

The problem was only party in the words he used.  Even if he used the "tail wag the dog" saying instead, that implies that the players are the ones to be "wagged" by the owners.  That isn't simply outrage, that implies that the players are subservient to the owners.

It's just so easy to write people off as "outraged."  It's a very easy way to dismiss their point of view.

Yup. Exactly.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: October 28, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »

Who's in charge of running NFL franchises: owners or players?