collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Accessing Blocked Websites  (Read 2733 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Accessing Blocked Websites
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
Anyone who is more tech savvy than me know a simple way to get around blocked sites?  For whatever reason, a baseball forum I visit often was suddenly blocked on my work computer this morning.  I am assuming IT did some update last night that particular message board triggers something to be blocked. I doubt it is very hard to get around for someone with more computer knowledge than I. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Please spare me the lecture if you feel the need to go that route. Thanks in advance for the help.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Accessing Blocked Websites
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
The best way would be to just ask the it guys to unblock or whitelist the site. Usually they are cool and don't really care. So if you act nice etc. they will usually unblock stuff. They also whitelist all the sites they visit themselves.

If not, a vpn or proxy is the best way to go.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
The best way would be to just ask the it guys to unblock or whitelist the site. Usually they are cool and don't really care. So if you act nice etc. they will usually unblock stuff. They also whitelist all the sites they visit themselves.

If not, a vpn or proxy is the best way to go.

How does a proxy work?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
Anyone who is more tech savvy than me know a simple way to get around blocked sites?  For whatever reason, a baseball forum I visit often was suddenly blocked on my work computer this morning.  I am assuming IT did some update last night that particular message board triggers something to be blocked. I doubt it is very hard to get around for someone with more computer knowledge than I. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Please spare me the lecture if you feel the need to go that route. Thanks in advance for the help.

Wouldn't you get into even more trouble if IT finds out that you created a workaround?  Not a lecture, just asking.
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »

Just read it on your phone via the cell connection.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
Wouldn't you get into even more trouble if IT finds out that you created a workaround?  Not a lecture, just asking.

Hah.  Not too concerned about it.  I am not in trouble to begin with.  Like Rowsey said, probably best to just ask, but I'd prefer not to if there is an easy way around.  Its not like I am playing online poker or looking at illicit websites.  Nothing different than scoop when I need a 10 minute break from work. Plus, plenty comfortable with my standing that if I got "busted" by IT for reading baseball forums, it would be a non issue.   

Just read it on your phone via the cell connection.

Ehh.  Thats a worst case scenario.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »

The real question here is how Scoop survived blacklisting over your baseball forum.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
The real question here is how Scoop survived blacklisting over your baseball forum.

Seriously.  Worried scoop is next.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
Ha, because of a handful of guys at my bank who streamed the audio of the Sox in the WS and crashed our system, our IT guys had to block EVERY site that had anything even remotely related to sports.  This was pre-Scoop.  I do remember years later that Scoop still worked.  Thank God!  Damn Sox fans!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
Seriously.  Worried scoop is next.

We're probably surviving due to the hardcore preemptive filtering that results in "sustrightable," "hairy wet cats," and "unnatural carnal knowlege" eh?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
How does a proxy work?

If you value your job, do not try that.

If the site was suddenly blocked for a specific reason and you try to get around it, kiss the job goodbye.  In essence, you are trying to skirt the companies security.

Talk to someone you know in IT. If the site is not a security issue, they will probably give access.

It's easy for IT to generate a report of sites you visit so there is also a chance your boss asked that the site be blocked, so as I said, do not do an end run around IT.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »

You underestimate the power of the invisible hand of scoop. No IT department would dare confront it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
IT guy here.   I've reported your non-Scoop browsing.   

Your IT department will super enjoy your request, though.   8-)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
IT guy here.   I've reported your non-Scoop browsing.   

Your IT department will super enjoy your request, though.   8-)

Yah, they probably will laugh at me.  You got nothing easier for me, IT guy!??!?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »

"Baseball Forum"?  Is that what we're calling those "sites" now?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »
Get a subscription to a VPN.    They're not expensive and you can route all your traffic through it for all your nefarious websites and torrenting purposes, not that I would know anything about that.

Here's a good place to choose:

https://www.techbargains.com/category/432/vpn

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Hah.  Not too concerned about it.  I am not in trouble to begin with.  Like Rowsey said, probably best to just ask, but I'd prefer not to if there is an easy way around.  Its not like I am playing online poker or looking at illicit websites.  Nothing different than scoop when I need a 10 minute break from work. Plus, plenty comfortable with my standing that if I got "busted" by IT for reading baseball forums, it would be a non issue.   

Ehh.  Thats a worst case scenario.

What do ya do when youre taking a deuce?

Duecing and scooping right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
What do ya do when youre taking a deuce?

Duecing and scooping right now.

You in men's or women's today?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »
Get a subscription to a VPN.    They're not expensive and you can route all your traffic through it for all your nefarious websites and torrenting purposes, not that I would know anything about that.

thanks, I'm now a VPN subscriber

now off to the piratebay...........

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
You in men's or women's today?

unless you can lay the cable standing, doesn't matta, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »

piggybacking... I recommend nordvpn.

feedback