collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Bartman Gets a Ring  (Read 9963 times)

Sheriff

• Starter
Steve Bartman Gets a Ring
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »
Frank Kaminsky must be thrilled about this.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Steve Bartman Gets a Ring
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
Eh, I have a Cub fan on Facebook saying she's "legit crying" about it.  Fandom isn't rational.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

It's a really nice gesture.  The stuff this dude had to go through was awful and undeserved.

That being said, I hope to never hear his name again. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
Class move by the organization.  Liked his response.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
Eh, I have a Cub fan on Facebook saying she's "legit crying" about it. Cub Fandom isn't rational.

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:46:24 PM »
Class move by the organization.  Liked his response.

+1

The way cub fans treated this guy is an embarrassment to them.

Glad the organization is trying to make this right.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
+1

I would add the way the players and manager at the time treated him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »

Agree completely.  What the Cubs should have said is that some rando fan had NOTHING to do with their collapse in that fateful game.  They owed him.  Glad current management recognized.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:10:50 PM »
+1

It was a portion of the fan base - many didn't blame him for doing something the majority of most people in that situation would have done.

The media made it much, much worse than it needed to be or should have been.  And that carried on through last season. 

Personally,

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
I just re-watched the fateful 8th inning.  Correctly remembered that while the Bartman incident was significant, it was more about how the Cubs failed to remain mentally tough following the initial double.  Pitching, defense and Dusty all terribly lacking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:19:10 PM »

The media made it much, much worse than it needed to be or should have been.  And that carried on through last season. 

Damn media. TV showed the play live and the reaction to, sportswriters reported about what happened, columnists opined about it, etc. I mean, just because it was one of the biggest events in Cubs history ... the damn media should have ignored it. Fake news! Sad!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »
Damn media. TV showed the play live and the reaction to, sportswriters reported about what happened, columnists opined about it, etc. I mean, just because it was one of the biggest events in Cubs history ... the damn media should have ignored it. Fake news! Sad!

Going to assume that was sarcasm.  No one said it should have been ignored.   

There's a difference between reporting on what happened and sharing his name immediately. showing up at his parent's house, etc. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
I just re-watched the fateful 8th inning.  Correctly remembered that while the Bartman incident was significant, it was more about how the Cubs failed to remain mentally tough following the initial double.  Pitching, defense and Dusty all terribly lacking.

Gonzalez booting the easy double-play ball was the key play.  Turn that and you're out of the inning. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
Good on the organization, and I don't blame Bartman.

That said, my frustration at the time was that earlier in the series, a fan interfered with a pop foul that should've been caught by Damian Miller. It was a routine play, Miller was similarly pissed, but it amounted to nothing.

All I could think at the time, rational or not, was how anyone could forget the Damian Miller play just a few days later.

Apparently, though, everyone forgot it except me. I've never heard another word about that pop foul, but in Cub fandom Steve Bartman will forever be a household name.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 01:09:01 AM »
They should have made Moises Alou deliver it to him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
The meltdown actually began before the pop foul.  The Cubs pitcher was already wild.  It's interesting in retrospect to see how much discipline was lost in just a few minutes most evident in the SS error.  And Dusty did absolutely nothing about it.  Watching it now, it was easy to see the Walmart tent collapse in that stiff 10 mph breeze.  The Cubs simply weren't ready to win.  Contrast that with their play last year.  Night and day.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
Good on the organization, and I don't blame Bartman.

That said, my frustration at the time was that earlier in the series, a fan interfered with a pop foul that should've been caught by Damian Miller. It was a routine play, Miller was similarly pissed, but it amounted to nothing.

All I could think at the time, rational or not, was how anyone could forget the Damian Miller play just a few days later.

Apparently, though, everyone forgot it except me. I've never heard another word about that pop foul, but in Cub fandom Steve Bartman will forever be a household name.

That play wasn't in the 8th inning of a potential pennant-clinching game in which the Cubs had a 3-run lead.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »
That play wasn't in the 8th inning of a potential pennant-clinching game in which the Cubs had a 3-run lead.

No, but it was a couple games earlier in the same series. Had parallels, and was why I was thinking "why the hell do you reach for that ball" even before the media blew the whole thing up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »

Easier to blame someone else than themselves. Typical Cubbies.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Easier to blame someone else than themselves. Typical Cubbies.

::)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
::)

Well done VBMG. My post was obvious snark and you gave it the reply it deserved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
Going to assume that was sarcasm.  No one said it should have been ignored.   

There's a difference between reporting on what happened and sharing his name immediately. showing up at his parent's house, etc.

A few TV cameras did what TV types always do. That doesn't mean "the media" went overboard covering a major, major story. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, I admit that I'm probably a little touchy on this subject given You Know Who's constant attempts to distract from his own failingskis by always screaming, "Fake News!" All I'll say is thank goodness for the Times and Post these days.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
I wonder if Steve ever got to meet Michael Jackson.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »
Nice try. 

Journalists stopped reporting the facts long ago.  They feel the need to spin a narrative in every story.  Reporting the story doesn't win any Pulitzers.  Bartman was A story.  He was not the story, except the media made it so.  The Cubs meltdown after that play should have been the story.  His name should be a footnote.

feedback