'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 26408 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
Ike and Elliot are our future. These two kids are hyper athletic and going to be great players for us.

#BanHammer
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
Nah.  He hasn't gotten any smarter,  but he has yet to be offensive or attacked anybody since he got back.   Delusions aren't a reason to ban.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »
Do we know when QG is supposed to be narrowing down his list to the top 5? Aren't we on the outside looking in behind TAMU....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:10 PM »
Do we know when QG is supposed to be narrowing down his list to the top 5? Aren't we on the outside looking in behind TAMU....

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-quentin-grimes-cutting-list-soon-2

In this video he said he was going to cut it to 5 or 6 after the Adidas Uprising (which was this past weekend) so we should get an update pretty soon. I think Arizona, Kansas, and TU are locks to get visits. I think Kentucky, Marquette, TAMU, and Baylor are fighting for the last two. I could see him cutting to 6 and then deciding on visits later. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry, said he would take all 5 officials.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-quentin-grimes-cutting-list-soon-2

In this video he said he was going to cut it to 5 or 6 after the Adidas Uprising (which was this past weekend) so we should get an update pretty soon. I think Arizona, Kansas, and TU are locks to get visits. I think Kentucky, Marquette, TAMU, and Baylor are fighting for the last two. I could see him cutting to 6 and then deciding on visits later. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry, said he would take all 5 officials.

Have you cut the phone lines into the TAMU Athletic offices yet as instructed?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
Have you cut the phone lines into the TAMU Athletic offices yet as instructed?

I was going to but now there's a paper trail! I'm not going down for this!
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
Does anyone think that if Grimes decides to come to MU, long shot I know, that Bailey does not show up?

Bailey's coming.  Just learn to deal with MU getting a top 100 wing who happens to be a great shooter, and quality individual.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:17:44 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
I can see that but then MU took a kid for one semester which is ridiculous.  Guess anything can happen.  Then it would have to be 1 of the freshman, as the upper
class is not going anywhere.  It will interesting, lets see if Wojo can get him on campus.  That new arena will be impressive.  he could leave a mark on the program.

What's ridiculous about taking a quality big man for the majority of the season including all the Big East schedule in a year that you're trying to get two freshman bigs up to speed on Big East basketball and are waiting on a quality big who is red shirting?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:25:25 AM by 4everCrean »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Ike and Elliot are our future. These two kids are hyper athletic and going to be great players for us.

There's no way that Ike sees the court once Kostas transfers in from Dayton and takes his playing time.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
What's ridiculous about taking a quality big man for the majority of the season including all the Big East schedule in a year that your trying to get two freshman bigs up to speed on Big East basketball and are waiting on a quality big who is red shirting?

First off, I am not sure how quality he is.  He averaged about 3.5 points as a benchwarmer at SMU as a freshman.  He came to MU way out of shape, then broke
his foot.  I am not sure what they have here yet.  I was at the double header in Madison Garden last year and Froling did not jump out at me, Semi, did. Time will tell.  But signing a kid to play for one semester, really.  I do not think that is how you build a program, not
sure taking Henry helped Wojo get going.  2018-19 will be the first year that he has a full scholarship allotment used,  I for one hope Froling stays at least a year
 and a half or maybe 2 1/2, graduates as a senior.   John is going to play right away.  Physical player, Froling is tall not physical, no one has stated he is a great
defender or rebounder yet?  Eke is a project, will play some D, which they were lacking last year and with only 10 players first semester he will get some playing time. 
 For Eke, the following year, might be a challenge getting time.  Morrow is a proven Big Ten player and Joey is coming.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
First off, I am not sure how quality he is.  He averaged about 3.5 points as a benchwarmer at SMU as a freshman.  He came to MU way out of shape, then broke
his foot.  I am not sure what they have here yet.  I was at the double header in Madison Garden last year and Froling did not jump out at me, Semi, did. Time will tell.  But signing a kid to play for one semester, really.  I do not think that is how you build a program, not
sure taking Henry helped Wojo get going.  2018-19 will be the first year that he has a full scholarship allotment used,  I for one hope Froling stays at least a year
 and a half or maybe 2 1/2, graduates as a senior.   John is going to play right away.  Physical player, Froling is tall not physical, no one has stated he is a great
defender or rebounder yet?  Eke is a project, will play some D, which they were lacking last year and with only 10 players first semester he will get some playing time. 
 For Eke, the following year, might be a challenge getting time.  Morrow is a proven Big Ten player and Joey is coming.

Did Bilsu or whoever the other dude is that always types like this create a new account?

Froling has lost over 40 pounds since he came to campus.  He looks like a completely different guy. His foot was also already broken. It was a small hairline fracture that MU decided to address while he was out.  I haven't seen him play besides in the same tournament you saw him, but I have a feeling his is going to be a good player for us.  I highly doubt he bolts after this year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
First off, I am not sure how quality he is.  He averaged about 3.5 points as a benchwarmer at SMU as a freshman. 

Actually he averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds as the second guy off the bench for a top 20 SMU program.
TAMU

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »

Bailey's coming.  Just learn to deal with MU getting a top 100 wing who happens to be a great shooter, and quality individual.

Happy to have him, reminds me of Reggie Miller.  Taking 2 years off, might make a difference.  He has added weight.  Initially I saw him as a skinny 2 guard.  Now
more a wing.  Plus great blood lines.  Hope he can show up next semester to get his hoop play up to par.  Like taking another transfer as he will be at least 20 or
21 when he shows up. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
That is suppose to be next summer, not next semester.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

I also hope that Froling stays the course for 21/2 years like Luke did.  IIRC, Luke's one semester stats at Indiana were probably somewhat less than Froling's stats.  But, if he does move on after this year, MU still gets important value having a second seasoned big to play along with the two freshmen second semester.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:34:59 AM by 4everCrean »

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
Did Bilsu or whoever the other dude is that always types like this create a new account?

Froling has lost over 40 pounds since he came to campus.  He looks like a completely different guy. His foot was also already broken. It was a small hairline fracture that MU decided to address while he was out.  I haven't seen him play besides in the same tournament you saw him, but I have a feeling his is going to be a good player for us.  I highly doubt he bolts after this year.

Yes same dude, forgot my password, had to open a new account.  They never sent an opportunity to re-do.  I agree, he stays for more than one semester.  All I have
heard is that he is a different type of center than Heldt or Luke.  Can shoot, but can he rebound and play D?  Hope he can play some 4 with that loss of weight.  But
Sam at the three.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
Yes same dude, forgot my password, had to open a new account.  They never sent an opportunity to re-do.  I agree, he stays for more than one semester.  All I have
heard is that he is a different type of center than Heldt or Luke.  Can shoot, but can he rebound and play D?  Hope he can play some 4 with that loss of weight.  But
Sam at the three.

BCHoopster!  Thats what it was.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
Happy to have him, reminds me of Reggie Miller.  Taking 2 years off, might make a difference.  He has added weight.  Initially I saw him as a skinny 2 guard.  Now
more a wing.  Plus great blood lines.  Hope he can show up next semester to get his hoop play up to par.  Like taking another transfer as he will be at least 20 or
21 when he shows up.

It probably wasn't fair to single you out on the "if he comes" comments about Bailey.  Many have said it and now its popping up again due to the excitement about possibly getting Grimes.  It bugs me because its unrealistic since its very unusual for a player who committed before a Mormon misson not to show up and because it's throwing a very good player who has committed to MU over other great programs under the bus due to a frenzy over the possibility of getting a higher rated recruit.  I think as fans we owe it to kids who have committed to our program to let them show up and show everyone what they got before they get that kind of treatment.  Programs with class do that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
There's no way that Ike sees the court once Kostas transfers in from Dayton and takes his playing time.

Congrats, for paying attention.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
It probably wasn't fair to single you out on the "if he comes" comments about Bailey.  Many have said it and now its popping up again due to the excitement about possibly getting Grimes.  It bugs me because its unrealistic since its very unusual for a player who committed before a Mormon misson not to show up and because it's throwing a very good player who has committed to MU over other great programs under the bus due to a frenzy over the possibility of getting a higher rated recruit.  I think as fans we owe it to kids who have committed to our program to let them show up and show everyone what they got before they get that kind of treatment.  Programs with class do that.

Was Jamil that much better than Newbill?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
I have never posted under another name.

I got bashed for posting a couple of months ago that we would not be very good(NCAA tournament team) if Froling was not good enough to beat out Heldt and I still believe that.

The only thing I posted in this thread was in response to someone posting that either Elliot or Eke will transfer, because they will be unhappy with no playing time. My post pointed out that Elliot signed knowing who was ahead of him at guard, while (in my opinion) Eke has been over recruited. Basically, I am saying that their situations are not equal. I did not say either one was transferring.

I voted for Elliot as having the biggest impact of the four freshmen players and I still believe that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »
I have never posted under another name.

I was just throwing names out there.  It was BChoopster...which should have been obvious with his new name.  Carry on...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »
According to this article, Grimes says he may not decide until sometime in the winter before the second signing period.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-quentin-grimes-cutting-list-soon

That is helpful from our perspective, as we will have a better handle on our own roster by that time.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »
These things work themselves out. Trying to predict who might not get what they were looking for is pretty useless at this point. Come mid BE play we'll have a better idea of who the most likely candidates will be. But even then, you just never know. The fact of the matter is that at least 1 player will almost surely leave following this upcoming season for any number of reasons. Probably even 2 or more players. So finding room for Grimes, or heck even if it were a less hyped recruit, won't be an issue. The issue will be getting Grimes to decide he wants to come to Marquette. Who leaves if he decides to come? Nobody knows right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback